• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

So I don’t know the full history here, but this statement implies that the courts ruled that the CSRs were not approved by congress and were therefore illegal, but the Obama admin appealed, keeping the payments going. Trump admin then dropped the appeal. Is this correct? If so, what standing does anyone else have to appeal the CSRs being ended?

DL_O1mqW4AEv4p0

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He has commissioned commemorative coins with his name on them to give to staff and visitors, but the cost to taxpayers is unclear. Zinke's predecessors and some other Cabinet secretaries have coins bearing agency seals, but not personalized ones.
Someone thinks really highly of himself.

Chumly

So I don’t know the full history here, but this statement implies that the courts ruled that the CSRs were not approved by congress and were therefore illegal, but the Obama admin appealed, keeping the payments going. Trump admin then dropped the appeal. Is this correct? If so, what standing does anyone else have to appeal the CSRs being ended?
I'm assuming that states have standing because ending the CSRs would significantly hurt their state insurance markets. The argument right now is to keep them going until the court appeals process is fully exhausted.

Edit: also the court already allowed the states to step in and defend the subsidies

Does anyone have the legal arguments from both sides? Did we think that obama paying the subsidies would be ultimate made illegal by the Supreme Court or would they allow it

Trump is set to speak at the Values Voters Summit tomorrow three years in a row. The likes of Roy Moore and Phil’s Robertson are also expected to be there. Really the entire thing is an anti LGBTQ party

It's crazy to me that there is usually SUCH high turnover with Japanese Prime Ministers (like, Australia bad), yet the same party has pretty much held power in Japan except for like, a spat in the 90s and from 2009 to 2012. There have been 32 Prime Ministers of Japan in 70 years (that's 1 every 2.2 years!) and 23 of those have been from the same center-right party.

Trump is set to speak at the Values Voters Summit tomorrow three years in a row. The likes of Roy Moore and Phil’s Robertson are also expected to be there. Really the entire thing is an anti LGBTQ party
I still can't believe there were (and still are) LGBTQ people who seriously thought Trump would protect us. Morons.

Ac30

From the NYT:

In a speech on Friday afternoon, Mr. Trump will declare his intention not to certify Iran’s compliance with the agreement. Doing so essentially kicks to Congress a decision about whether to reimpose sanctions on Iran, which would blow up the agreement.

So he's now handing foreign policy decisions to Congress as well. What's left for him to do? At least Mattis/Tilly talked him out of killing it entirely.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
From the NYT:

So he's now handing foreign policy decisions to Congress as well. What's left for him to do? At least Mattis/Tilly talked him out of killing it entirely.

I don't think congress will kill it. I feel like i've seen more than enough republicans already take the position of not wanting to go back on the agreement just to show that america keeps its word.

kess

Oh look, Trump nominated an Accuweather executive to the Weather Serivce with who has the stated intent of limiting information to the public so people will have to pay for his service.

As you may remember, Santorum tried to do this through congress and failed.

Damn, that was fast. He literally just decided to stop subsidies for insurance companies, and already he's blaming Democrats.

Big problem he has is the reliable republican voters who are losing coverage actually know whats going on. They know the names of all their local politicians, they know who votes for what, they pay attention.

Culex

Banned
Wait is he literally implyng that it's the Dems' fault subsidies have stopped, and now they should call Trump to fix it?

....even though Trump just signed the order to stop them?

EHHH?!

CNN: "Trump ends health subsidies for poor people." (They're not wrong, though it's not the poorEST poor people. Just poor.)

Going to be a long day, people.

CNN: "Trump ends health subsidies for poor people." (They're not wrong, though it's not the poorEST poor people. Just poor.)

Going to be a long day, people.

Better headline than Trump ends insurance company payments at least.

The strategy is simple.

@jbouie
It is clear too what the electoral strategy is: Disrupt insurance markets, then lie and say it is the fault of Obamacare.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So basically the exact same method most republicans have used for the last 10 years: Lie.

Here is the problem, though. Republicans got away with lying about taxes and benefitting the rich for years because their voters were handed scraps. They didn’t really feel pain. Health care costs, though, are going to skyrocket and GOP has total control of Congress. The same huge amount of people that let the tax cut stuff go aren’t going to buy this because they are directly being affected.

The strategy is simple.
When you're President, you own this shit. He campaigned on fixing all of this allegedly awful stuff and people aren't going to be amused by a health care market that's somehow worse after 4 years of Trump. People aren't that that stupid. He got enough votes on his Obamacare lies, and those people expect results. Subsidies ending? Let's just pretend they don't understand that Trump's ending them, for the sake of this argument. 6 million poor people will want to know what the hell happened to their money for insurance on Jan 1st and wonder why the government can't fix it. After all that's what Trump said he'd do!

Diablos

Really think the courts will end up saying executive action on CSRs was illegal anyway and it must be done by Congress if at all. I’m sure it will go to the Supreme Court unless the GOP actually passes a law repealing the ACA in some fashion before then.

jtb

Banned
That we are spiraling towards a government shutdown with unified GOP government is itself a remarkable achievement. But I'd love to see how they spin this one.

Crocodile

This strategy doesn't work when the sabotage of the law makes headlines and everyone knows you did something to the law. They might not know the specifics, but they know you touched the law and now it's your fault if it broke.

This morning in Maine

DMA87doVQAE_HM3.jpg

Even if it just talks about the EO and not the CSR payments I feel most voters will just mentally wrap all the actions together into "fucking with my Healthcare!"

Wilsongt

Omfg that last tweet...

!

This came aftet three stooges on a couch plus Geraldo were talking about PR. Geraldo almost said something negative about him and then that tweet came out right after.

Also, Geraldo made a point of saying he doesn't agree with poor people not having access to affordable heathcare and you could hear Gilamead trying to come up with a counter argument about why they should go without it. He managed to muster up "But Medicaid!" But that doesn't help everyone.

Carrie Dann‏Verified account @CarrieNBCNews 1m1 minute ago

There it is from Susan Collins: "I have concluded that the best way that I can contribute... is to remain a member of the US Senate."

I'm a bit confused if this is a good thing or a bad thing, TBH

Has nobody explained to Trump that this whole fiasco may turn Florida permanently blue and make a GOP presidency incredibly hard to win in the near future?

He's creating an entire generation of solid blue voters in a key swing state from his incompetency.

I realize PR's disaster was unprecedented and they weren't really stable before and the cleanup was always going to be very challenging... but come on. The way he's handling this is just ridiculously poor form.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Has nobody explained to Trump that this whole fiasco may turn Florida permanently blue and make a GOP presidency incredibly hard to win in the near future?

He's creating an entire generation of solid blue voters in a key swing state from his incompetency.

You say that like he gives a shit. He’s a RINO and only does things out of service to his ego and spite for his enemies. He doesn’t give a flying fuck about the GOP

Really think the courts will end up saying executive action on CSRs was illegal anyway and it must be done by Congress if at all. I’m sure it will go to the Supreme Court unless the GOP actually passes a law repealing the ACA in some fashion before then.

The courts have already ruled that the CSR payments were unconstitutional as they usurped the power of the Congress to appropriate funds. Most spending in Obamacare was mandatory and they didn’t exist because of executive action. The Obama administration continued paying them out while the ruling was appealed with the admin defending the CSR spending.

Now the Trump admin will drop the appeal but the court has also ruled that the 18 or so AG’s who sued to keep them in place can take over the appeal/defense of the CSR payments moving forward.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, the fucking democrats in the state will nominate two candidates, a former janitor at Goldman Sachs and someone who once smelled Jill Stein’s hair and they will split the vote and I’m sure Scott Baio will get elected in Maine.

Blader

lol @ Zinke minting *personalized coins* of himself. What an utterly bizarre thing.

The strategy is simple.

That may be their strategy, but all voters will see is their healthcare getting worse and more expensive with Trump and a Republican Congress in office.

I still can't get over how profoundly stupid Trump's EO is.

The GOP doesn't get to say they repealed Obamacare, but still has to deal with some of the downsides of actually repealing Obamacare. It's lose/lose for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom