• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always super depressing to see people outing themselves as literal Nazis. On the gaming side of GAF, no less! An advert for a Nazi-killing game that reads "If you are a Nazi, GTFO" is too controversial for some people, apparently.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Slate had an odds calculator for justices dieing based on death rates for age, gender, and race from a year and a half ago. I'd assume the odds are only lower because there's less time to 2021 now and these justices should generally have higher life expectancies.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...s_of_another_supreme_court_justice_dying.html

56% chance of at least one liberal justice dieing.

13% chance of at least two liberal justices dieing.

Diablos

Ginsberg will hang on out of pure spite. No way does she allow herself to go down with Trump in office.

That is the sad part. She is probably wishing she could just live out the rest of her days peacefully. Thanks to Trump she'll probably be there until she dies.

Of course, I think it would have been smarter for Ginsburg and Breyer to step down before the 2014 midterms. I know they're judges and not politicians but given the absurdity of the many cases and often decisions from the SCOTUS over the past decade or so, they should have had enough common sense to realize they needed to get replaced by other liberals who would ensure at least a couple more decades of the same ideology, not knowing for sure how 2016 would end but damn well knowing how extreme the GOP has become. I do however remember Ginsburg inaccurately predicting that Democrats should be safe in Presidential elections and that midterms should be their only worry. Wonder how she feels about that...

Slate had an odds calculator for justices dieing based on death rates for age, gender, and race from a year and a half ago. I'd assume the odds are only lower because there's less time to 2021 now and these justices should generally have higher life expectancies.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...s_of_another_supreme_court_justice_dying.html

56% chance of at least one liberal justice dieing.

13% chance of at least two liberal justices dieing.
Really if the four liberals can make it through Trump’s presidency the court is probably pretty salvageable. If Kennedy waits, even better.

I think Ruth legitimately likes being a force for good in the country.

Really if the four liberals can make it through Trump's presidency the court is probably pretty salvageable. If Kennedy waits, even better.

8 years of a Democrat after 2020 would put Thomas' seat in the crosshairs. Maybe Roberts if he wants to retire a little early.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Would you say Axios is the worst site on the internet or next to the worst for political anything?

Ogodei

I think Ruth legitimately likes being a force for good in the country.

8 years of a Democrat after 2020 would put Thomas' seat in the crosshairs. Maybe Roberts if he wants to retire a little early.

Even Alito's in his 60s.

If Ginsburg holds out the disaster can be averted and reversed and we end up with only Gorsuch and Kennedy's replacement (because you know it's going to happen) as the only Trump appointees.

Sianos

There's a bar/brewery in Florida that's giving away free beer for every two tickets to a Richard Spencer event you bring them (the tickets are free). So basically they're guaranteeing two empty seats at the event per free beer.

That's pretty ingenious, and awesome.
UF violated its own policies to allow NPI to handle ticket sales rather than the UF box office precisely to try and stop protesters from denying tickets to Nazis.

Between this, instructing students to not protest at the event, and allowing their private security full control over event security, UF sure is bending over backwards to accommodate avowed supporters of ethnic cleansing in the United States.

Valhelm

contribute something
Did we discuss this?

6abfb082d9.png

d0ecadc3e9.png

3914f6cb70.png

49ea1e352c.png

Oct. 11-13 CBS tracker

tuxfool

Banned
How Congress allied with drug company lobbyists to derail the DEA's war on opioids

This investigative piece from the WaPo is incredible. It covers all the things you'd expect, gov't corruption, regulatory capture, revolving doors between public and private sectors. Just wide scale failure all around. And the result of all this is that while the DEA has all the latitude in the world to attack "illicit" drug dealers, in the Opioid crisis they have effectively been rendered toothless.

Would you say Axios is the worst site on the internet or next to the worst for political anything?

The EIC was recently interviewed on Pod Save America.

His head is too far up his own... site... to listen to any constructive criticism. After about 10 minutes, I had to just fast forward to the end.

Diablos

How Congress allied with drug company lobbyists to derail the DEA’s war on opioids

This investigative piece from the WaPo is incredible. It covers all the things you'd expect, gov't corruption, regulatory capture, revolving doors between public and private sectors. Just wide scale failure all around. And the result of all this is that while the DEA has all the latitude in the world to attack "illicit" drug dealers, in the Opioid crisis they have effectively been rendered toothless.
This was on 60 Minutes tonight too. Crazy shit.

royalan

What's striking about this to me is that, according to a lot of the social media progressies, we need a more progressive agenda aimed at winning back the Trump voter. That has always seemed a bit foolish to me.

A progressive agenda whose aim is to excite and motivate the left (and fuck what the right thinks), is something I think everyone could get behind.

Holmes

Chuck Todd's an idiot. "There's no way Feinstein goes down unless she has one challenger and everyone coalesces behind them to take her down."

It's not like we have a top two primary or anything!

Define a more progressive agenda.

Assuming this includes things that benefit black people, reconcile this with a 50 state strategy.

May be a false assumption.

Teggy

Even Alito's in his 60s.

If Ginsburg holds out the disaster can be averted and reversed and we end up with only Gorsuch and Kennedy's replacement (because you know it's going to happen) as the only Trump appointees.

If the Ds can pull off a miracle and take the senate back in 2018, they could prevent any new justices until 2020.

Teggy

Assange is apparently dropping something tomorrow to make Democrats look bad or something.

Edit: maybe Hillary specifically

Assange is apparently dropping something tomorrow to make Democrats look bad or something.

Probably some dumb bullshit related to Weinstein that will somehow be "NEWS" even though it's probably publicly available.

If it's a Hilary thing, I'm just gonna laugh and laugh.

EDIT: It is a Hilary thing? Damn does Russia wish Hilary was still politically potent.

Ecotic

Imagine the irony if dems were able to block multiple SCJ picks because of the example set by McConnel LOL

Yeah, the "McConnell Rule" precedent is now the sitting President doesn't get their Justices confirmed unless his or her party controls the Senate. I would fully expect Republicans to cite that to block any future appointments by a Democratic President.

Didn't they already nuke the filibuster for SC nominees so they could get Gorsuch through?

If we take back the Senate in 2018 before any of the liberal justices die...

It's always super depressing to see people outing themselves as literal Nazis. On the gaming side of GAF, no less! An advert for a Nazi-killing game that reads "If you are a Nazi, GTFO" is too controversial for some people, apparently.

You remember feeling a bit uneasy when you first discovered those shitty flash games where you torture Osama Bin Laden in increasingly excruciating ways?

It's kind of like that.

Yeah, the "McConnell Rule" precedent is now the sitting President doesn't get their Justices confirmed unless his or her party controls the Senate. I would fully expect Republicans to cite that to block any future appointments by a Democratic President.

And when republicans have the oppprtunity to replace a justice in the last year of the administration, they’ll find a way around it. Probably by saying Trump has a mandate, Obama got 2 so they get 2, etc.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Really if the four liberals can make it through Trump's presidency the court is probably pretty salvageable. If Kennedy waits, even better.

If salvageable means having Roberts be the moderate swing vote for 5-10 years, sure, but that's still pretty terrifying. I guess that's at least that's better than 20+ years of needing two or three hard conservative votes to swing anything.

Honestly, I can't imagine liberals being able to stand a 6 hard conservative court without feeling forced to pack the courts. That threat would probably be the sole remaining moderating force.

I hope to god Kennedy waits until at least Democrats can win the senate, if not the presidency.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
As someone who cares about the constitution and is a patriot, I just can't justify letting a president with this big of a disappoval rating and a cloud of treason over his administration making another SCOTUS appointment. Wish it didn't have to be this way.

let that swirl in your mouths for as long as necessary. Trump gets NOTHING for the remainder of his term no matter what.

As someone who cares about the constitution and is a patriot, I just can't justify letting a president with this big of a disappoval rating and a cloud of treason over his administration making another SCOTUS appointment. Wish it didn't have to be this way.

let that swirl in your mouths for as long as necessary. Trump gets NOTHING for the remainder of his term no matter what.
Can't wait for actual proof of collusion and/or embezzlement to come out and for talking heads to still blame Democrats for not giving him a chance.

I bet you could convince Trump to nominate Garland if Dems somehow took back the Senate in 2018.
I actually agree with this take.

Chuck & Nancy: "Obama couldn't get it done, that would really piss him off"

"Derrr ok I'll do it!"

I bet you could convince Trump to nominate Garland if Dems somehow took back the Senate in 2018.
this seems of questionable value in a post-Gorsuch age, why not just wait until there's a Democratic president and then appoint a much more partisan and younger judge?

I guess it depends on how fragile the senate majority and Trump both look going into 2020.

this seems of questionable value in a post-Gorsuch age, why not just wait until there's a Democratic president and then appoint a much more partisan and younger judge?

I guess it depends on how fragile the senate majority and Trump both look going into 2020.

If Dems have 51 and we're not sure if Trump is going to win again and Kennedy retired but we're holding his nomination up, why not?

Frankly, I'd appreciate it as a way to break the precedent because that ("President only gets to make a SCOTUS pick when their party controls the Senate") really shouldn't be a precedent.

Frankly, I'd appreciate it as a way to break the precedent because that ("President only gets to make a SCOTUS pick when their party controls the Senate") really shouldn't be a precedent.
this is a dumb self-imposed rule like the suggestions of reinstating the filibuster, Republicans aren't going to change their mind post-Gorsuch about whether they should allow Democrats to have SCOTUS picks when they control the Senate because the Democrats tried to reinstate the norm. If Democrats want the norm to be that the president always has to have his nominee considered, they should codify that into law.

Maengun1

Ginsburg is one of my favorite people, period, but yeah I am still upset that she didn't step down before November 2014. I actually remember right after Obama's reelection in 2012, talking to another politics weirdo like myself, and we were both like "phew okay well now Ruth can step down and we can get a new 40 year old in there!"

Of course if she hangs in there until next year (+ dem wave) or 2020 (...+dem wave) then it's all good in the end, but obviously impossible to predict. And yes I think it's gross to talk about a person's life like this but that's where our government is lol!

pigeon

Banned
this is a dumb self-imposed rule like the suggestions of reinstating the filibuster, Republicans aren't going to change their mind post-Gorsuch about whether they should allow Democrats to have SCOTUS picks when they control the Senate because the Democrats tried to reinstate the norm. If Democrats want the norm to be that the president always has to have his nominee considered, they should codify that into law.

Yup it’s this. The norms are gone and they aren’t coming back until Gorsuch resigns, which will probably not happen

Teggy

Imagine being this evil

The Kentucky official who was jailed in 2015 for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has been advocating against gay marriage this week thousands of miles from home — in Romania, where a movement to outlaw such unions has gained momentum.

Few people in Romania appear to know about the case of Kim Davis, the clerk for Rowan County, Ky., but local gay and transgender rights groups were unhappy about her visit. Some described her as a foreign interloper who had violated the laws in her own country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/world/europe/kim-davis-romania.html?_r=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom