• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, fair enough.

It's a senate race and, IIRC, Biden has already been participating. It's already national and Moore has already been saying dumb shit. I don't that changes much.

Yeah, when did FOX stop going to the Rass well?

It's always best to assume FOX will act as the PR wing of the GOP

If you're old enough to remember it (I'm not), 2000 didn't even have the decency to be a single night.
The thing about 2000 for me was that I wasn’t particularly invested in the result (I bought into the notion that there wasn’t much difference between Bush and Gore) so as events unfolded I was mostly thinking “oh, this is interesting.” And to think we could have been spared the whole thing had Palm Beach County just aligned their ballots properly (among many other factors that tipped that one).

Spicer didn't give anything. He's garbage.

It's not about what he gave. Every discrepancy in Spicer's testimony is a separate violation that carries a potential 5 year sentence. If you get cute withholding info, then Mueller just knows exactly where to dig. If you give a different account than someone else, one of you is looking at years in jail.

Do you think garbage like Spicer is really going to stick his neck out and risk it all to cover up for a boss that used and dumped him?

Chicago politics, man. They can get pretty dirty. That being said, Madigan is basically the boogeyman to Republicans in Illinois (even more than Obama), so I can see why she brought him up even though his daughter isn't running. Also, I'm kinda surprised she settled back at U of I after winning Miss America.
Fun game: count the number of times Madigan is mentioned in each ILGOP press release. Sadly I think the “blame everything on Madigan” strategy might actually work for Rauner’s re-election, especially with our weak field.

Fun game: count the number of times Madigan is mentioned in each ILGOP press release. Sadly I think the ”blame everything on Madigan" strategy might actually work for Rauner's re-election, especially with our weak field.

Apparently we're shaping up for a rich corporate Democrat vs. rich corporate Republican race, which should be annoyingly terrible (and I say that as someone who isn't inherently against pro-corporate politicians), and even if Rauner loses will basically end up with Madigan mostly in control in Springfield, more or less.

Also, ILGOP actually getting Madigan's "make Rauner a one-term governor" statement to backfire on him kinda makes sense given that the strategy didn't really work for national Republicans when they tried it with Obama. Screw president, why can't Michelle just run for Governor here?

Edit: Also, a confession: I didn't vote in the Rauner/Quinn election in 2014. My dad had just died, and the week of election day we took a vacation to spread his ashes and I just hadn't bothered to vote absentee.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nyt has a feature on tillerson. I don’t get him. He seems to be massively underperforming in this job. Not sure if he’s a twat or if trump is just sponging into him.

It's not about what he gave. Every discrepancy in Spicer's testimony is a separate violation that carries a potential 5 year sentence. If you get cute withholding info, then Mueller just knows exactly where to dig. If you give a different account than someone else, one of you is looking at years in jail.

Do you think garbage like Spicer is really going to stick his neck out and risk it all to cover up for a boss that used and dumped him?

I'm sure all the key parties got together to get their stories straight before these meetings.

Nyt has a feature on tillerson. I don't get him. He seems to be massively underperforming in this job. Not sure if he's a twat or if trump is just sponging into him.

At the end of the day the President keeps undermining him at every opportunity. He can't actually pursue diplomatic solutions when the man who has to sign off on everything is actively on Twitter shooting the hostage. NK thinks he's a joke, Iran probably won't talk to him at this point, and most nations already realize Tillerson is a bit of a patsy. The only relations he had prior to taking the job were with Russia, the country under investigation for subverting our democratic process. He has literally zero leverage at this point.

wow this is so brutal for Mandel in OH Sen

https://twitter.com/BenRay/status/920405535647846401

this is so embarrassing omg omg omg

Isn't this the alt-right shithead they were making fun of on PSA?

Y2Kev

At the end of the day the President keeps undermining him at every opportunity. He can't actually pursue diplomatic solutions when the man who has to sign off on everything is actively on Twitter shooting the hostage. NK thinks he's a joke, Iran probably won't talk to him at this point, and most nations already realize Tillerson is a bit of a patsy. The only relations he had prior to taking the job were with Russia, the country under investigation for subverting our democratic process. He has literally zero leverage at this point.

Isn't this the alt-right shithead they were making fun of on PSA?

Not quite. The article makes a point of all his middle eastern relationships and how he was cut off by fucking Jared kushner of all people. Kushner is not qualified to do anything.

pigeon

Banned
Nyt has a feature on tillerson. I don’t get him. He seems to be massively underperforming in this job. Not sure if he’s a twat or if trump is just sponging into him.

Tillerson is a much better critique of “what if we ran government like a business” than Trump because Trump was bad at business. Tillerson is what it looks like when an actually competent business CEO runs a government agency, and it’s still awful.

Y2Kev

Tillerson is a much better critique of “what if we ran government like a business” than Trump because Trump was bad at business. Tillerson is what it looks like when an actually competent business CEO runs a government agency, and it’s still awful.
But he’s running it like a business with a cock CEO. I’m sympathetic to the idea tillerson can’t axtially make any decisions. The whole idea of hitting the state department with like a 30% cut is trumps. But then garbage Rex wants a15% cut! Wtf dumbo.

T-Rex immediately began butchering the State Dept.

A CEO, especially one of such a big organization as Exxon-Mobil knows not to fuck with moving parts during a time when there will already be a ton of turnover.

This goes triple for washing away the "voice" of the department, allowing other countries to control the message (bad for say, SK media to mock T-Rex, REALLY bad for our adversaries).

This isn't just Fat Boy drag-assing out appointments, there has to be a reasoning for going this far this fast and only NOW caring.

MIC reporting green card holders might be banned from enlisting in the military for now?

https://mic.com/articles/185297/exc...-a-move-that-may-break-federal-law#.l4P7STVPO

Seems dumb. Lost on transgender military issues, guess it's time for another L

"FALL UPON THEIR SWORDS FOR YOUR MANBABY KING! DEFEND ME TO YOUR LAST!!!"

I don't believe that Doug Jones is anywhere better than -10 vs Moore. Moore and Donald Trump have such high favorables in most Alabama polls. And it's Alabama.

50. State. Strategy. All unfought fights are lost.

It's an interesting thought process; it's a huge prisoner's dilemma but one where their real opponents are the ones still on the inside fighting. Preibus is the real interesting one; he's OG GOP, and high-placed too. He won't stick his neck out, ESPECIALLY if he's guilty of some shit no matter how minor.

The spanner in the works is the fact of Dumbo's wierd reality-warping intimidation field or what some of the enablers have on these cast-offs.

Someone explain to me the appeal of podcasts. Is this an American thing?
Same with cable news, and the ridiculous number of pundits talking over each other?
Do you just like hearing people arguing? Hearing people affirm existing positions?

Y2Kev

Same with cable news, and the ridiculous number of pundits talking over each other?
Do you just like hearing people arguing? Hearing people affirm existing positions?
Sometimes it’s funny. Ana Navarro saying pussy on live tv. Etc.

kirblar

I've had it explained to me by people that part of the reason I don't get it is that I have a 7-10m commute.

I mostly listen to podcasts from the Mcelroy Brothers, which are comedy podcasts.

ascii42

Podcasts in general are just an evolution of radio shows. Only now you can listen at your own convenience. Useful to anyone with a longer commute, or who doesn’t like only catching the middle of an NPR broadcast like I always do. I should really start using the app.

teiresias

It's not like the only podcasts in existence are political either. I listen to tech podcasts and cooking podcasts mainly. There's little to no arguing on such things.

Valhelm

contribute something

Podcasts are cool cause you can consume information while working or driving

Much more convenient than reading articles

pigeon

Banned

Apparently some people read slowly

Wilsongt

Can we not relive election night? I just got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach again before I went to bed hoping to wake up in a different universe.

Yeah, there's certainly a lot more to the world of podcasts than just people talking about politics from (insert your political viewpoint). If there's a topic you're interested in, there's probably someone doing a podcast about it.

I can't really read on the train because of motion sickness, so it's nice to have podcasts to listen to instead. They also came in handy on our summer vacation trip (two days on the road each way) to help pass the time in the car.

Very slowly.

I could not stand it when people read out loud growing up because I could read it so much faster myself.

Yeah, I remember in particular in elementary school whenever one of my classmates was struggling to read some passage out loud that I had read quickly in my head I would be feeling pretty impatient.

Basically a radio show you can listen to on your own time. I don't have to tune in at a specific time to find out what the guys at PSA think of Trump's most recent scandal, I can just throw on their podcast and listen to it during my commute to and from work. I've been enjoying the Crooked Media stuff--PSTW is hit or miss, PSA is pretty consistent, PSTP has been incredibly informative imo, and Lovett or Leave It is just entertaining.

Yes, I'm largely referring to political podcasts, not things that are trying to teach skills or something.

So, it's basically talkback radio (which is terrible) but on demand. Yeah, nah.

I binged a few episodes of Radiolab's Supreme Court spinoff More Perfect. I'd recommend it.

The Gun Show is a good "How did we get here?" recap on the Second Amendment in America. Learning a bit about the history of the NRA is fascinating, considering how it positions itself today, basically because of a coup by members on the edge of the group.

...sound familiar?

Yes, I'm largely referring to political podcasts, not things that are trying to teach skills or something.

So, it's basically talkback radio (which is terrible) but on demand. Yeah, nah.

I'll take it over a lot of the trash tier television news we have. If there was a just God, Tucker Carlson would have already swallowed his own tongue...

PKrockin

I can't read a book during the occasional hour-long drive I have to make.

And yes, people want to see people argue. See also: reality TV

Apparently we're shaping up for a rich corporate Democrat vs. rich corporate Republican race, which should be annoyingly terrible (and I say that as someone who isn't inherently against pro-corporate politicians), and even if Rauner loses will basically end up with Madigan mostly in control in Springfield, more or less.

Also, ILGOP actually getting Madigan's "make Rauner a one-term governor" statement to backfire on him kinda makes sense given that the strategy didn't really work for national Republicans when they tried it with Obama. Screw president, why can't Michelle just run for Governor here?

Edit: Also, a confession: I didn't vote in the Rauner/Quinn election in 2014. My dad had just died, and the week of election day we took a vacation to spread his ashes and I just hadn't bothered to vote absentee.

I'm largely fine with Prtizker's policy positions, it's just that he has so much baggage (Blago tapes, property tax shenanigans) and I think Rauner will likely have an easy time painting him as Madigan's puppet. But he seems determined to buy the nomination and the party seems happy to let him. Not that I think Kennedy or Biss would be very good candidates either. I guess I can't blame all the truly talented Illinois politicians for running for federal office as soon as they can given the mess in Springfield but I really wish there were a candidate I felt confident about.

sangreal

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/17/fox-news-poll-alabama-senate-race-all-tied-up.html

1508270701163.png

lol. i'd die if we won a seat in Alabama.

this could be our Scott Brown

but I don't see it happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom