• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a meeting today at work about watching work appropriate things on the breakroom tv. Someone had set the channel to Fox News and took the batteries out of remote. Fox News played on that TV for a week and a half.

Pixieking

Banned
We had a meeting today at work about watching work appropriate things on the breakroom tv. Someone had set the channel to Fox News and took the batteries out of remote. Fox News played on that TV for a week and a half.

Why didn't you get new batteries, put them in, change channel, then take them out again?

It's like you wanted to watch Fox News. :p

So. Open question. When the GOP smear machine gets into gear and starts pushing the narrative that the Democrats want to raise your white people taxes to pay for black people healthcare and take away your employer plan so that they can give healthcare to welfare queens and Mexican rapists and their anchor babies...

What is the response? If any.

It's a system that ensures quality care for all Americans. It benefits people of all races and ethnicities, and will lower the cost of quality healthcare for everyone across the country.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So Bernie flat out said Americans would be willing to pay higher taxes to not have to deal with insurance companies, then said the amount will be discussed later.

This is a dangerous road to take.

Why didn't you get new batteries, put them in, change channel, then take them out again?

It's like you wanted to watch Fox News. :p

That would require effort + I don't use the breakroom

So Bernie flat out said Americans would be willing to pay higher taxes to not have to deal with insurance companies, then said the amount will be discussed later.

Figure out how to pay for the pony later. Great strategy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pelosi is smart--not jumping aboard here is the right move. Start with trying to fix ACA, then move to a public option.

Single-payer should be the inevitable goal but you need to work people into the idea.

So. Open question. When the GOP smear machine gets into gear and starts pushing the narrative that the Democrats want to raise your white people taxes to pay for black people healthcare and take away your employer plan so that they can give healthcare to welfare queens and Mexican rapists and their anchor babies...

What is the response? If any.

That won't be the attack this time around. It will most likely be, "You're now getting more of your hard-earned money ripped away from you in exchange for worse insurance." There may be varying levels of validity to that attack, but that's what I expect from opponents.

Purity tests are necessary when it comes to certain issues. Civil rights, for example. But Bernie Sanders’ symbolic health care plan? I don’t think so.

kirblar

"We're gonna build a wall. Mexico will pay for it."

Plinko

"We're gonna build a wall. Mexico will pay for it."

Thats going so well for them right now, isn't it? As someone stated earlier, I feel like we should have a much higher standard than Donald Trump and right-wing nuts.

It would be nice if she at least backed it symbolocly by making a statement on single payer or giving a nod of support. I'm not expecting it to go anywhere nor do I expect her to go to bat for it. It's just a bad look when the leadership seems uninterested in partaking in an important discussion a good bit of the party wants to have.

Slacker

Nice, books from both Hillary and Katy Tur available on audible and I happen to have two credits left. Bring on the traffic delays this week!

Teggy

Is "Medicare for all" "Medicare and nothing else," or "Medicare for all who want it?" Because I think the first one is a really bad idea.

Pixieking

Banned
Source for this?

Bernie Sanders to introduce universal health insurance bill backed by 15 senators

As he described his legislation, Sanders focused on its simplicity, suggesting that Americans would be happy to pay higher taxes if it meant the end of wrangling with health-care companies. The size of the tax increase, he said, would be determined in a separate bill.

"Rather than give a detailed proposal about how we're going to raise $3 trillion a year, we'd rather give the American people options," Sanders said.

pigeon

Banned
It would be nice if she at least backed it symbolocly by making a statement on single payer or giving a nod of support. I'm not expecting it to go anywhere nor do I expect her to go to bat for it. It's just a bad look when the leadership seems uninterested in partaking in an important discussion a good bit of the party wants to have.

She did

Armaros

Dragging her House membership into a litmus test bill discussion is really bad for the on the margin house seats in 2018.

especially one that involves raising taxes, and has 0 chance of going anywhere.

Crocodile

Mueller needs to investigate Mr. Soviet Honeymoon Bernie. I think he might be working for the Russians.

Even as a joke that's dumb

Even though it had not chance of becoming law anytime soon I would have liked to have seen something more feasible/sellable out of the gate? I'm not sure I feel super great about this for all the reasons described earlier in this thread. Maybe the rollout will go super well tomorrow.

Paul Ryan is meeting with Nancy Pelosi tomorrow for the dream act. Trump said he would sign it according to Pelosi today.

*crosses fingers*

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dragging her House membership into a litmus test bill discussion is really bad for the on the margin house seats in 2018.

especially one that involves raising taxes, and has 0 chance of going anywhere.

It's not surprising, some "democrats" would rather put forward perfect candidates, then say they were not progressive enough if they lose.

Holy fuck

while Americans not currently eligible for Medicare would be phased into the program over four years.

That would be a fucking disaster.

Sanders just does not give a fuck, go back to Vermont you clueless bastard.

Armaros

It's not surprising, some "democrats" would rather put forward perfect candidates, then say they were not progressive enough if they lose.

Holy fuck

That would be a fucking disaster.

Sanders just does not give a fuck, go back to Vermont you clueless bastard.

My favorite quote

"Rather than give a detailed proposal about how we're going to raise $3 trillion a year, we'd rather give the American people options," Sanders said.

Okay, thats definitely going not going to get destroyed in Ads.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Okay, thats definitely going not going to get destroyed in Ads.

His approval ratings are going to tank from this.

Even if you go with a Medicare for All plan, you don't do it over 4 years, and you don't ignore the funding aspect.

This is the way to let the GOP frame the funding however the fuck they want.

Armaros

I mean that would require people to be paying attention at a time when political ads aren't running

you do have a point.

The GOP dont need to tank Bernie himself, they just need to forever keep Democrats from any sort of majority.

which stunts like this help.

Look at the Obama years, while Obama remained popular, by cutting off his knees in Congress, he struggled in the later years.

Necrovex

A statment like this reminds me how Colorado single payer referendum last year referenced the cost to taxpayer to implement this on a state level, and then said vote losing by a landslide.

Emarv

Hillary mentions the Electoral College in the Vox interview and how it should be eliminated. I've always been sympathetic to this notion but curious on its realism.

What I've really wondered is, as a half-measure, why the EC isn't changed to be like the Democratic Primary system? Electoral votes proportionally given out via percentage. Admittedly, I'm ignorant to the nuances of that system, but it always seemed to me like a decent half-step to a more representative Electoral College. Are there arguments against that system as well?

Armaros

Hillary mentions the Electoral College in the Vox interview and how it should be eliminated. I've always been sympathetic to this notion but curious on its realism.

What I've really wondered is, as a half-measure, why the EC isn't changed to be like the Democratic Primary system? Electoral votes proportionally given out via percentage. Admittedly, I'm ignorant to the nuances of that system, but it always seemed to me like a decent half-step to a more representative Electoral College. Are there arguments against that system as well?

Because that requires changing the Constitution, which requires an even harder majority then getting a Bill into Law.

FyreWulff

Requires changing the constitution or for states to change their EVs to proportional on their own.

Only Nebraska and Maine have a semi-proportional system and Republicans in Nebraska are constantly trying to get rid of it.

pigeon

Banned
I don't have a problem with Bernie pushing this bill, that's his job.

I am a little surprised that so many Democrats signed on to it when it's so vague. I hope they know what they're doing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom