• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

You didn't read my post. I said of private employees. Nearly 20% of black Americans work in the public sector, almost twice their share of the general population, so they are otherwise underrepresented in every private industry. When you consider solely those employed privately, they are disproportionately represented in manufacturing. Hence, this actually improves things at both ends.
Nationalizing healthcare is not going to suddenly make private manufacturing less racist and hire more black people.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nationalizing healthcare is not going to suddenly make private manufacturing less racist and hire more black people.

What? Are you even following anything about this conversation?

Yeah, but it's probably going to make job situations better for black people via more public-sector opportunities, which is... kind of exactly his point.

kirblar

What? Are you even following anything about this conversation?
THERE IS NO DATA ABOUT PRIVATE MANUFACTURING IN THE DATA YOU LINKED.

You are making a claim that "black people over represented in private manufacturing" that is not borne out by the data you provide.

Republicans were literally one vote in the senate away from voting on a bill that was crafted by McConnell IN LESS THAN A SINGLE WEEK, that would have caused a recession and kicked 20 million people off of health insurance in a single year all so they could give large corporations a massive tax cut

I refuse to believe a better plan expands coverage and cuts healthcare costs is a wildly unattainable because the devil in the details puts it out of reach

The American manufacturing industry has had the potential to become increasingly more labour efficient over the past 50 years. The American healthcare industry has had the potential to become increasingly more labour efficient over the past 50 years. Desiring a more efficient manufacturing sector, political parties, both Republican and Democrat, made the political choice not to protect the manufacturing sector, reasoning that even if it sucked for those bluecollar workers, it helped the average consumer. This is rank hypocrisy when, with the prospect of a more efficient healthcare system is on the horizon, Republicans and Democrats are doubling down on protecting whitecollar workers to the loss of the average consumer. The only difference is one concerns blue-collar workers and the other white-collar.

Both of these industries and what has happened to them are the result of political and economic pressures. The economic pressure in both cases is towards labour efficiency. The political pressure in manufacturing was to allow this, the political pressure in healthcare was to block this and protect hugely inefficient labour practices. You are busy here defending this, despite the fact the losers have overwhelmingly been poor and minorities, and the winners have overwhelmingly been rich and white.

Pretty disgusting, in my honest opinion.

My point is that the economical effects of transitioning out of a 2.5 million dollar job industry in 4 years isn't comparable to what the free market has done to manufacturing over 50 and how that effects the economy.

I'm not as concerned with the insurance company going poof as much as I am concerned about what will happen to our economy when it does.

kirblar

Yeah, but it's probably going to make job situations better for black people via more public-sector opportunities, which is... kind of exactly his point.
Sure, but that's not a good argument to do it. Otherwise you'd just go "solve racism by nationalizing everything!" which...yeah no.

edit: The insurance industry already has a higher proportion of black people than manufacturing

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Republicans were literally one vote in the senate away from voting on a bill that was crafted by McConnell IN LESS THAN A SINGLE WEEK, that would have caused a recession and kicked 20 million people off of health insurance in a single year all so they could give large corporations a massive tax cut

I refuse to believe a better plan expands coverage and cuts healthcare costs is a wildly unattainable because the devil in the details puts it out of reach

A better plan like this isn't unattainable if done correctly, and, as always, there need to be details explaining how.

A plan that takes massive chunks out of people's paychecks (the vast majority of these people who live paycheck to paycheck, by the way) is unattainable.

kirblar

We have a very good plan to expand coverage and help reduce costs. It didn't get fully implemented in '09 and that's why we're still stuck at this phase of the process!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We have a very good plan to expand coverage and help reduce costs. It didn't get fully implemented in '09 and that's why we're still stuck at this phase of the process!

Exactly. It's all there. The process should be:

Phase 1: Repair ACA

Phase 2: Implement public option

Phase 3: Move to single-payer

This should be done over the course of years and years, not an instant switch to single-payer. That's probably disastrous for numerous reasons.

Sure. My only point is that the GOP spent 7 years rallying around a symbolic bill that they couldn't ultimately pass because they never bothered with the details (they quite literally made the same argument of "we'll work it out later" that some are using on this discussion).

Symbolic bills become real bills (or are at least expected to). I'm personally not going to hit the pavement to canvas for a bill that I know is missing content. Give me the real one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
THERE IS NO DATA ABOUT PRIVATE MANUFACTURING IN THE DATA YOU LINKED.

You are making a claim that "black people over represented in private manufacturing" that is not borne out by the data you provide.

My God you're dense sometimes. Using the figures for the public sector (in the link provided), you can work out how much of each racial group is employed privately. You can the compare this to the average for each private industry, manufacturing included (in the link provided). You'll notice that among black Americans who are privately employed, manufacturing is a disproportionately large employer.

EDIT: I'll do the maths for you. There are 151,346,000 people in work in America. Of those. 16,820,000 are black (11.9%). 22,298,000 people in America work in the public sector. 20.9% of those are black, or 4,660,282 people. That means there are 12,159,718 black Americans working in a private sector of 129,048,000, or 9.4%. Any private industry which employs black workers at above 9.4% is above the private sector average for black employees. That includes manufacturing.

PBY

Banned
Exactly. It's all there. The process should be:

Phase 1: Repair ACA

Phase 2: Implement public option

Phase 3: Move to single-payer

This should be done over the course of years and years, not an instant switch to single-payer. That's probably disastrous for numerous reasons.

Why not

Campaign for single payer. Draft a bill that includes the aforementioned 3 step off-ramp.

Deal?

Blader

Flake trailing a primary challenger by nearly 30 points is hilariously pathetic.

Why not

Campaign for single payer. Draft a bill that includes the aforementioned 3 step off-ramp.

Deal?

Campaigning on single payer and then settling on an ACA repair/public option bill seems like a surefire to kill the enthusiasm of I don't know how many base voters. The campaign message should focus primarily on shoring up the ACA and implementing a public option (and maybe lowering the Medicare buy-in age too?), with the prospect of single payer as a long-term goal.

But centering a campaign around single payer and then having the first major healthcare bill to result from that campaign be not single-payer seems like it would be a mistake. And I don't think you can pass a bill that forces a timetable on Congress or whomever to begin implementing single-payer after a certain date.

kirblar

My God you're dense sometimes. Using the figures for the public sector (in the link provided), you can work out how much of each racial group is employed privately. You can the compare this to the average for each private industry, manufacturing included (in the link provided). You'll notice that among black Americans who are privately employed, manufacturing is a disproportionately large employer.
But it's not. It's just not.

Overall -11.9

2.7 - Agriculture
6.4 - Mining, Gas, etc.
5.8 - Construction
10.0 - Manufacturing
11.3 - Wholesale/retail
11.1 - Information
10.4 - Finance
9.7 - Generic professional/business stuff
12.6 - Hospitality

18.0 - Transportation/Utilities
14.9 - Education
16.7 - Public Administration

They are not over represented there. Even if you ignore the public sector, It's second lowest prior to the blue collar labor jobs where participation falls off a cliff.

There are no blue collar workers in the healthcare industry?

I find the distinction between white collar and blue collar to be a little disingenuous in itself. The people employed by the medical industry aren't all making 6 figures. Having been through a few medical issues recently involving a lot of exposure to medical workers, there are plenty of low-income people working these jobs. I'm sure this is even more true on the insurance side where processing the paper is going to be done by the lowest-cost people one can hire.

Just because you sit at a desk doesn't mean you earn more than a guy in work clothes.

Vixdean

I'm not convinced that Schumer/Pelosi couldn't get Trump to campaign for single payer if they offered support for his tax plan. Yeah tax cuts plus a massive increase in spending would destroy the federal budget, but that can be fixed later.

I find the distinction between white collar and blue collar to be a little disingenuous in itself. The people employed by the medical industry aren't all making 6 figures. Having been through a few medical issues recently involving a lot of exposure to medical workers, there are plenty of low-income people working these jobs. I'm sure this is even more true on the insurance side where processing the paper is going to be done by the lowest-cost people one can hire.

Just because you sit at a desk doesn't mean you earn more than a guy in work clothes.

Plenty of blue color construction workers make 6 figures. Like the majority of my Electrical Foreman make close to that before you count their company truck, gas and bonuses. My GF's make 6 figures with a bonus and a car and gas and my superintendents make even more.

Live better. Work union.

I'm not convinced that Schumer/Pelosi couldn't get Trump to campaign for single payer if they offered support for his tax plan. Yeah tax cuts plus a massive increase in spending would destroy the federal budget, but that can be fixed later.

as was already pointed out, so does the military budget, and yet there's always dosh for blowing up sand people.

Can always pull a W. and hide the numbers :D

Live better. Work union.
OT7 title, imo.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But it's not. It's just not.

I've edited my post with the relevant figures.

EDIT: I suppose you're arguing 'disproportionately large', so fine, I'll give credit and say 'larger than average'. It's true it's not as disproportionate as transport.

It's like Flake is deliberately trying to upset everyone.

On one hand, he's been very vocal in his criticisms of Trump, to the displeasure of the Republican base.

On the other, outside of being okay on immigration he's done very little towards actually cultivating a moderate voting record and has pretty much been a rubber stamp R vote, meaning Democrats and skeptical Independents have no reason to give him any benefit of the doubt.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
You need a message that's easy for the public to grab onto and understand. "Medicare for all" as an opt-in along side private insurance choices seems like a good route to go. It's essentially the same as a public option, and a strong move towards single payer without having to explain either of those things to the public.

NBC News: Mike Flynn’s Son Is Subject of Federal Russia Probe

Several legal experts with knowledge of the investigation have told NBC News they believe Mueller, following a classic prosecutorial playbook, is seeking to compel key players, including Flynn and Manafort, to tell what they know about any possible Trump campaign collusion with Russia. Mueller has brought onto his team a federal prosecutor known for convincing subjects to turn on associates. Any potential criminal liability for Michael G. Flynn could put added pressure on his father, these legal experts said.

Classic Mueller. I imagine this is being done to put pressure on Flynn to cooperate.

1vsse4.jpg

I also find it amusing how free trade is fine even if it makes blue-collar manual labourers go out of business, because it's better for the average American, but bringing in singlepayer is terrible, because even if it would be better for the average American, it would make white-collar educated insurers go out of business. It betrays how horribly elitist the political consciousness of this thread is, without even realizing it.

No free trade/no single-payer, free trade/single payer. Pick one!
Yep, I've thought the same.

AndyD

aka andydumi
i want whatever the fuck you're smoking

the healthcare industry employs about 2.5 million people

american manufacturing employs 12.5 million people

yet this thread is perfectly fine to say 'fuck american small towns, leave them for dead', but the moment we start talking about liberal urban insurers, oh, the concern, the concern!

I think you are way off on the employment figures in healthcare.
This says 12.5 million across the US as of 2015.
http://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...t&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}
And manufacturing at the same level per https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES3000000001

Edit: oh you meant health insurance employment only. Nevermind.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think you are way off on the employment figures in healthcare.
This says 12.5 million across the US as of 2015.
http://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...t&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}
And manufacturing at the same level per https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES3000000001

That's healthcare total, not healthcare insurance. Hospitals and so on would still exist as they currently do.

EDIT: oh, I see what you mean, I didn't specify healthcare insurance in my original post. Yes, that should have read 'healthcare insurance industry employs 2.5 million people', you're quite right.

That's healthcare total, not healthcare insurance. Hospitals and so on would still exist as they currently do.
Hospitals are starting to offer their own insurance. A hospital around my area has been buying up facilities for years with the intention of offering a plan that works in their network for a low cost, with a high deductible for out of network costs.

The healthcare industry is intertwined. It's hard to separate the insurance part from the actual healthcare part.

Drastic changes in insurance companies would also effect the industry as a whole.

Bloomberg: Mueller Probe Has ‘Red-Hot' Focus on Social Media, Officials Say

The focus of Mueller's probe comes as the Republican and Democratic leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is conducting its own investigation, say social-media companies including Facebook have to be more forthcoming about what they saw occurring on their platforms last year and how they have responded.

Facebook Inc. said last week it found about $100,000 in ad spending connected to fake accounts probably run from Russia. That followed an April report by the company that outlined coordinated campaigns to misinform the public.

Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr, a North Carolina Republican, said Tuesday that it's ”probably more a question of when" than if there will be a hearing with Facebook officials as part of his panel's probe. Mark Warner, the committee's top Democrat and a former telecommunications company founder, said Facebook's revelation appears to be ”the tip of the iceberg. I think there's going to be much more."

AndyD

aka andydumi

EDIT: oh, I see what you mean, I didn't specify healthcare insurance in my original post. Yes, that should have read 'healthcare insurance industry employs 2.5 million people', you're quite right.

After both our edits, back on topic.

I'm not convinced as many hospitals/doctors/clinics would exist. Right now there is a certain amount of over-supply due to the profitability of the industry. Reducing or eliminating that profit and exploitation would surely reduce the number of minute-clinics, pharmacies and so forth that offer largely duplicative services. Maybe not surgeons, doctors, nurses, but more of the soft retail healthcare part of it.

As Ballad points out above, there are also a variety of new insurance models from regional to concierge styles which would also be directly affected.

kirblar

Yep, I've thought the same.
Have you ever considered that white supremacy taking root in rural areas might be an inevitable consequence of people living in those isolated, homogenous places, and that having less people living in them would be beneficial to society as a whole?

This isn't to say that we shouldn't be helping people w/ the transition, because of course we should, but the fact that the economy is discouraging people from investing in rural areas and encouraging people to move from them isn't inherently a bad thing!

pigeon

Banned
I also find it amusing how free trade is fine even if it makes blue-collar manual labourers go out of business, because it's better for the average American, but bringing in singlepayer is terrible, because even if it would be better for the average American, it would make white-collar educated insurers go out of business. It betrays how horribly elitist the political consciousness of this thread is, without even realizing it.

No free trade/no single-payer, free trade/single payer. Pick one!

Nobody is arguing this?

I'm actually surprised at how completely this misunderstands the concerns people have about an overly vague single-payer bill. Wouldn't this post be better directed at whoever you're talking to?

Edit: okay, I just woke up. You gave specifics on the next page

Off to bed, like, now, but this caught my eye. On mobile, so messy link: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-hillary-clinton-right-about-why-she-lost/amp/

Actually really interesting and (I think) balanced, arguing points I've not seen here or anywhere else about Hillary and her book.

It's a good read. I think a lot of the "Clinton should just go away" is subtle sexism and intellectually dishonest. She was a major presidential candidate who suffered a dramatic upset, and you think she should just vanish? Bernie Sanders lost the Democratic Primary, and he won't seem to shut the fuck up but nobody is asking him to sit down and shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom