• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Official May 6th Primary Thread (All I need is a Hirracle, all I need is you)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy

My prediction:

NC: 55-44 (Obama +11 delegates)
IN: 46-54 (Clinton +6 delegates)

EDIT: Also, nice bit on Robert Reich's blog:

When asked this morning by ABC News' George Stephanopoulos if she could name a single economist who backs her call for a gas tax holiday this summer, HRC said "I'm not going to put my lot in with economists.”

I know several of the economists who have been advising Senator Clinton, so I phoned them right after I heard this. I reached two of them. One hadn’t heard her remark and said he couldn’t believe she’d say it. The other had heard it and shrugged it off as “politics as usual.

woeds

Does IN have early voting?
Obama was doing better in the polls a few weeks back. If voting was already going on then it could work in his favor

woeds said:
Does IN have early voting?
Obama was doing better in the polls a few weeks back. If voting was already going on then it could work in his favor

http://www.priestsforlife.org/states/indianaev.htm

In person - Any qualified voter may vote early in person between April 28 and May 5 for the Primary and between October 6 and November 3 for the General Election. Before voting, the voter must complete and return an application for early voting, available at www.in.gov/sos/pdfs/abs-1.pdf (PDF format). Early voting dates, times, and places are available from the voter's local County Election Board Office. Contact information for County Election Board Offices is available at http://indianavoters.com/PublicSite/Public/PublicLookup.aspx.

By mail - A qualified voter may vote early by mail if he has a disability, illness, or injury, is over 65 years of age, will be absent from his county of residence on Election Day, cannot vote due to a religious observance, or will be working during all 12 hours the polls are open. Applications for absentee voting by mail must be received for the Primary by April 28 (May 5 if a confined voter or a person caring for a confined voter) and for the General Election by October 27 (November 3 if a confined voter or a person caring for a confined voter). Absentee ballot by mail applications are available online at www.in.gov/sos/pdfs/ABS-2.pdf

maximum360 said:
Well, he's on there with Joe and Mika which automatically makes him the superior of the two by default.

I was hoping Hillary or Barack would accidentally compliment Tiki on the Giants Super Bowl win this year. Would've been a hilarious "oops" moment.:D

Obama really needs to hit harder on this gas tax issue. Clinton says she'd have Big Oil pay the tax but once you try that they'd just find a way to pass the buck onto consumers.

Don't know if this has been posted (from politico):

Clinton mailing's gun gaffe

Sen. Hillary Clinton’s mailing attacking Sen. Barack Obama’s record on guns appears to include a striking visual gaffe: The image of the gun pictured on the face of the mailing is reversed, making it a nonexistent left-handed model of the Mauser 66 rifle.

To make matters worse, a prominent gun dealer said, it’s an expensive German gun with customized features that make it clearly European.

“The gun in the photo does not exist,” said Val Forgett III, president of Navy Arms in Martinsburg, W.Va. Forgett's company was Mauser’s agent in the United States when the gun was released, and it sold Mauser guns here again in the 1990s. “The bolt is facing to the left side of the receiver, making it a left-handed bolt action rifle, indicating whoever constructed and approved the mailer did not recognize the image has been reversed.”

Forgett said the error would be obvious to sportsmen.

“I find it laughable on its face,” he said. “It’s like a picture of Babe Ruth hitting right-handed.”

The gun's image in Clinton's mailing is above; a correct image of the gun is below.

Other rifle enthusiasts e-mailed Politico after an image of Clinton’s mailing was posted to this blog.

“I bet the Clinton folks did a mirror flip on the stock image to make it look more ‘aesthetic,’” wrote one, David Phillips. “What a latte-sipping, Gucci-wearing thing to do.”

The Mauser 66, released in 1966 and no longer manufactured, is a high-end hunting rifle that found military use as a sniper rifle. In Clinton’s mailing, it’s pictured with a double-set trigger, a customization that’s popular in Europe but “almost unheard of in the United States,” Forgett said.

“It’s a $2,200 German import — it’s hardly typical of what the average workingman in Indiana uses,” he said.

Cheebs

ralexand said:
Thanks, Anihawk. Did he mean that Gore and Clinton was fighting to be Obama's VP?
No. It means in the 90's. Gore was officially VP but Hillary basically was the VP while Gore was pushed to the side.

Rur0ni said:
The Story of the Crab Bucket

One time a man was walking along the beach and saw another man fishing in the surf with a bait bucket beside him. As he drew closer, he saw that the bait bucket had no lid and had live crabs inside.

"Why don't you cover your bait bucket so the crabs won't escape?", he said.

"You don't understand.", the man replied, "If there is one crab in the bucket it would surely crawl out very quickly. However, when there are many crabs in the bucket, if one tries to crawl up the side, the others grab hold of it and pull it back down so that it will share the same fate as the rest of them."

Is this story supposed to be a metaphor for how Billary is trying to damage Obama so that he will lose the GE and they can make a shot at the 2012 election? Because thats how I interpreted it.

speculawyer said:
Men in Black 3 starring Obama"

capt.19c44871169e434fb0a6bb7d5d30a1aa.obama_2008_injh101.jpg

capt.d7a332ce36dd408bbc11b4e6cf015dbf.obama_2008_injh102.jpg
I'm sorry but if they do a MIB3 thats set in the future for some reason, Obama is DEFINITELY the best person to take over for Will Smith.....:lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Interesting interviews on The Today Show of all places.

Meredith Vieira just reamed Hillary Clinton about the Gas tax. Even making a great line about how no economist thinks it's a good idea and asking if not listening to economists is elitist.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/24462821#24462821

Matt Lauer interviewed Obama. Not much there, but he continued to back up his gas tax stance, even saying that no economist has said it's a good idea, and that it failed when it was tried in Illinois.

Obama did keep calling Matt, "Tim" though, apparently thinking he's still on "Meet the Press" :lol :lol Lauer corrected him, but played it up to both of them coming off very long weeks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/24462850#24462850

Tamanon

Banned
I just want someone to ask Hillary Clinton how this gas tax is a relief for NOW if she isn't even doing anything to try to pass it. Not to mention that while the gas tax holiday itself would pass through Congress probably, the part where she says it will be paid for with windfall tax profits would not pass at all.

Cheebs

Final suffok poll in Indiana has Clinton up by 6. Which I would be ok with. If he has double digits in NC and single digit lost in Indiana I will be happy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm starting to doubt whether he can do double digits in NC, since Hillary has been better at closing states recently. I hope I'm wrong.

From the Los Angeles Times:

California superdelegates' wavering bodes ill for Hillary Clinton
By Scott Martelle
May 5, 2008

FRESNO -- Hillary Rodham Clinton, stung last week by the defection of a prominent superdelegate, could lose the backing of more of these Democratic Party leaders and elected officials if she fails to make significant gains in the remaining month of presidential nominating contests, several California superdelegates said this weekend.

Two of the five superdelegates aligned with Clinton who spoke at the annual California Democratic Convention here said they would reconsider their support if rival Barack Obama maintained his lead in elected delegates and the popular vote after the last contests on June 3.

While hardly reflecting a groundswell, the superdelegates' comments underscored the concerns among some of these officials about the drawn-out Democratic race. It follows the embarrassing defection Clinton's campaign suffered Thursday when former Democratic National Committee Chairman Joe Andrew switched his support from her to Obama, and warned that the negative tone of the campaign was becoming a "catastrophe" that would help Republicans.

More at the link.

gcubed

"I want the gas companies to pay for the gas tax with the windfall profit taxes"

Really Hillary? Really? So you will tax their profits for them to pay the gas tax? Who's going to pay for taxes? No sweetheart, not the oil companies, the consumer will, because the extra fee will be passed right on to the consumer.

This idea is fucked beyond belief, everyone should be laughing at both of them from every part of the US.

Obama needs to make it more well known that.. "hey, i tried this in Illinois, it turned out to be a shit idea there, and it will be a shit idea across the US. Hows THAT for experience?"

tanod

when is my burrito
I'd like somebody to ask her how she's going to pay for her green technology investments if the money she was going to use to pay for it is spent on the gas tax reduction.

Meredith Vieara on TODAY asked Clinton if she thought it was elitist to ignore economists' opinions.

Rur0ni

Liara T'Soni said:
Is this story supposed to be a metaphor for how Billary is trying to damage Obama so that he will lose the GE and they can make a shot at the 2012 election? Because thats how I interpreted it.
I guess that's one way to look at it. I was more specifically targeting Rev. Wright.

I've never really understood the "we haven't been attacked since 9-11!" line as some proof of the Bush Administration's unique national security skills. It makes it sound like we were some sort of war torn nation until Bush came along or something. It was horrible, but it's not like that was some super frequent thing before he came along.

There's one obvious method to preventing animosity towards America anyhow. Non-bombastic biblical principles, for one. Heh.

Tamanon

Banned
71% of people think the Gas Tax Holiday is just a political tool, only 28% think it really helps people. Awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
tanod said:
Meredith Vieara on TODAY asked Clinton if she thought it was elitist to ignore economists' opinions.

Seems to me if you're getting killed by interviews on the Today Show, something is truly wrong with your campaign.

Tamanon

Banned
It was mentioned on MSNBC, can't find a link yet.

LOL:

Obama/Clinton Sunday TV showdown ... In Indianapolis:
ABC [Hillary] THIS WEEK 1.3 rating/4 share
NBC [Obama] MEET THE PRESS 8.5 rating/21 share

tanod

when is my burrito
That CBS poll tells me something interesting. More people than not share HRC's values of telling people what they want to hear and not saying what they mean.

I am not surprised. -_-

gcubed

lol awesome questions, from those questions it looks like voters view Hillary Clinton as "politics as usual"

Nigeria: Militants May Suspend Attacks After Obama's Plea

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805050165.html

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has said it is considering a temporary cessation of hostilities in the oil-producing region based on an appeal by United States presidential hopeful, Senator Barack Obama.
"The MEND command is seriously considering a temporary ceasefire appeal by Senator Barack Obama. Obama is someone we respect and hold in high esteem. The period of halting attacks, we hope, when considered, will afford the Nigerian government the opportunity to address the issues with Henry Okah, including improving his living conditions and having access to a bible which he has requested for but was denied," they said.

This man isn't even President yet, and already the citizens of the world are turning to Barack Obama for solutions... Simply amazing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gcubed said:
Obama needs to make it more well known that.. "hey, i tried this in Illinois, it turned out to be a shit idea there, and it will be a shit idea across the US. Hows THAT for experience?"

He mentioned it during his speech last night.

gcubed

Deus Ex Machina said:
Nigeria: Militants May Suspend Attacks After Obama's Plea

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805050165.html

This man isn't even President yet, and already the citizens of the world are turning to Barack Obama for solutions... Simply amazing.

how dare he talk to people we dont like. We need to seperate ourselves from extremeists and ignore them. Yeah, thats it, ignore everything bad and it will go away

VanMardigan said:

i missed both his dinner speeches, are htey up on youtube?

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:

He's also talked about it in every interview this weekend. It's funny because this weekend Bill Clinton has been saying "Did you know that he actually voted for the gas tax in Illinois?" like he's been hiding it.

Superdelegate Kalyn Free Endorses.

" Kalyn Free, an at-large member of the Democratic National Committee, today announced that she supports Illinois Senator Barack Obama for the party’s presidential nomination. As a DNC member, Free will serve as a superdelegate to the Democratic National Convention. Free is also founder and President of INDN’s List, an organization dedicated to recruiting and training American Indian candidates. "

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gGChv9

CNN declared “Rev. Wright-Free Zone”

http://openthread.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/5/83154/81072/231/509288
CNN’s “American Morning”: Attacked Clinton’s gas plan and her “obliterate” remark about Iran, comparing it to Bush’s language. “If you’re running for president, you shouldn’t be stirring up international incidents.” John Roberts said CNN has declared a “Rev. Wright-free zone”– “our viewers want us to move on.”
They ALL should have done that. A week ago. I'm not surprised people are sick of it.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Hillary's statement about elites and economic policy is actually true, taken in a vacuum.

A lot of policy and opinion elites really do try to use economics to backdoor their own priorities and values under the guise of objective science. Pushing to maximize GDP without first explaining why that's an appropriate goal, for example.

But in the context of the gas tax holiday, it's nonsense. There is absolutely no expert opinion to back it up. None. Not even among leftist circles who are way more ready to throw corporations under the bus than she is.

It sucks when someone takes a meme you like and completely misuses it.

KRS7

Not all good news today.

USA Today: Poll: Flap over pastor hurts Obama

USA Today said:
Barack Obama's national standing has been significantly damaged by the controversy over his former pastor, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, raising questions for some voters about the Illinois senator's values, credibility and electability.

In February, Democrats and Democratic leaners by 33 points said Obama had a better shot at beating Republican John McCain in November. Clinton is now seen as the stronger candidate by 5 points.

I hope this does not cause voters in IN and NC who would of otherwise voted for him to switch to Clinton over the fear that Obama will lose to McCain. USA today happens to be the most widely circulated paper in the United States. I am trying to mesh this data with the NY Times poll. Maybe most people don't care about the Wright issues, but they see it on the news 24/7 so they must assume everyone else really care about it. And thus they are worried about his electability in November.

tanod

when is my burrito
KRS7 said:
I hope this does not cause voters in IN and NC who would of otherwise voted for him to switch to Clinton over the fear that Obama will lose to McCain. USA today happens to be the most widely circulated paper in the United States. I am trying to mesh this data with the NY Times poll. Maybe most people don't care about the Wright issues, but they see it on the news 24/7 so they must assume everyone else really care about it. And thus they are worried about his electability in November.

The thing is that in exit polling for the primary: electability has consistently ranked very low relative to issues like the Iraq War, the economy, and other policy positions.

Electability by itself doesn't seem to be much of a factor at all in the Democratic primary for anybody except the superdelegates.

USA Today/Gallup Poll: Flap over pastor hurts Obama-Clinton 51% -Obama 44%

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-05-04-obama_N.htm
Barack Obama's national standing has been significantly damaged by the controversy over his former pastor, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, raising questions for some voters about the Illinois senator's values, credibility and electability.
The erosion of support among Democrats and independents raises the stakes in Tuesday's Indiana and North Carolina primaries, which represent a chance for Obama to reassert his claim to a Democratic nomination that seems nearly in his grasp. A defeat in Indiana and a close finish in North Carolina, where he's favored, could fuel unease about his ability to win in November. Such results also could help propel Hillary Rodham Clinton's uphill campaign all the way to the Democratic convention in August.

In the USA TODAY survey, taken Thursday through Saturday, Clinton leads Obama among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents by 7 percentage points, the first time in three months she has been ahead. Two weeks ago, before the controversy over comments by Jeremiah Wright reignited, Obama led by 10 points.
That's absurd. Polls are all over the map, as anyone who follows them knows.. Even USA Today doesn't have confidence in the results.

XxenobladerxX said:
These polls are such bullshit imo. Wait till later this week and next week for people to change their mind.
This one has him losing ground, The CBS poll has him rebounding.

One has to wonder how much of this is so much propaganda

Meet the Press (Obama) blows out ABC This Week (Clinton) in Ratings: 8.5 rating to 1.3 rating

Source: Drudge

Obama/Clinton Sunday TV showdown ... In Indianapolis:

ABC THIS WEEK 1.3 rating/4 share
NBC MEET THE PRESS 8.5 rating/21 share

tanod

when is my burrito
Deus Ex Machina said:
Meet the Press (Obama) blows out ABC This Week (Clinton) in Ratings: 8.5 rating to 1.3 rating

Dude. This is the third piece of news that you've posted this morning that was already posted not more than a page or two back. Read the damn thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom