• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

brau

Woah! Good on ya!

Thanks! we're really excited. Even if we have yet to find someone to sublet the apt. We might end up paying the fee to break up the lease. But we'll see. We got a bit of time. Its exciting! Tho, i'll miss Portland. Its been great living here for 2 years.

About a week out from my move to Portland! Ended up getting a place downtown. Any recommendations for places to get cheapish furniture other than the usual Ikea/craigslist? Also, how is centurylink internet? My place has hookups for gigabit through them that I'm thinking of getting.

What are some of the summer festivities worth going to? Best place for 4th of July?

Oh look. What a coincidence. I am selling all of my furniture :D

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fuo/6170517553.html

Cheap too.

I can even sell you my centurylink Router if you want. haha.

Thanks! we're really excited. Even if we have yet to find someone to sublet the apt. We might end up paying the fee to break up the lease. But we'll see. We got a bit of time. Its exciting! Tho, i'll miss Portland. Its been great living here for 2 years.

Oh look. What a coincidence. I am selling all of my furniture :D

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fuo/6170517553.html

Cheap too.

I can even sell you my centurylink Router if you want. haha.

In interested in your desk :)
The only problem is that I dont have a car to pick it up :(

brau

In interested in your desk :)
The only problem is that I dont have a car to pick it up :(

Man... i don't think i can fit that desk in my CRV and help you out. I can measure it.

But i'll give you a good price if you really want it. The chair is also good. :D

BTW. I hope you guys had a good time today. I have been busy with move and stuff so i could not make time to join you guys.

Man... i don't think i can fit that desk in my CRV and help you out. I can measure it.

But i'll give you a good price if you really want it. The chair is also good. :D

BTW. I hope you guys had a good time today. I have been busy with move and stuff so i could not make time to join you guys.
No worries about the desk and meeting up. Its completely understandable. Its also really nuts youre moving to finland.
mYm is a cool person. We're gonna hang out again sometime soon.

All right people

I need some good date options in Portland. Anything that is fun in general for one.

Two, if there are some places that have a somewhat intimate setting without just being a bar. Like somewhere that is cool to hang out and talk in some semblance of privacy.

Any suggestions?

Cat Party

All right people

I need some good date options in Portland. Anything that is fun in general for one.

Two, if there are some places that have a somewhat intimate setting without just being a bar. Like somewhere that is cool to hang out and talk in some semblance of privacy.

Any suggestions?

My wife and I love going out to Edgefield in Troutdale. Lots to do and you can definitely find some quieter space on the property.

What's it like?
The staff is super knowledgable and the staff is full of flamboyant men happy to show their colors and compliment the hell out of you. They also apparently have live underwear models on the weekend. There is also a barber shop in there. Its a pretty cool store, really.

Dartastic

The men's underwear shop is a hilarious experience. Never been in a store like it before.
I DJ'ed a showcase at one of the underwear shops downtown once. It was pretty great, actually. Haha. They gave me a free pair of underwear and free wine as payment. It was pretty good. I got Xmen underwear. They uh, fit very well. They are very smooth. They don't fit as well as they used to these days. Hah!

jfoul

This weather is bullshit right now. It feels like it hasn't rained in about two months now. What type of sacrifice is required for some rain?

KtSlime

This weather is bullshit right now. It feels like it hasn't rained in about two months now. What type of sacrifice is required for some rain?

This is normal, expect rain somewhere around late September to mid October, expect a lot of it.

October - May rain, June - September dry.

brau

Hey guys,

So i no longer reside in the awesome state of OR. As a matter of fact i no longer live in the USA or the same continent. I now reside in the northern area of EU. Finland.

The day i left Portland it was 106 i think. It had been a nice summer so far, and the outlook was that that weekend would be the hottest one yet. From my previous years living there its generally that one week of hot weather and the rest is nice. So its a surprise you guys are getting hit with such hot weather.

Anyways. Portland was a great place to live. Honestly, it was the place in the US that i enjoyed the most. Its too bad things didn't work out work wise and it was unstable as heck. But i guess that is the nature of the industry i work in. But yea, with a better job outlook i think i would've been comfortable settling in Portland with my family for a good while.

Still, lots of good memories. Loved nature there, and the fact that my daughter is now a native Portlander being born there last year. You guys have a great city and state, with a cool neighbor state that is WA.

I am not sure if i'll ever make it back to Portland tbh, but i am glad i got to bump into you guys here and will probably see you guys around GAF :)

If you guys ever visit Helsinki, Finland shoot me a PM and i'll shelter you and tour you around.

PS: the thing i miss the most about Portland is 'Fire on the Mountain'. :(
That... and well, the ease to find groceries to cook good mexican food. I don't think i have that luxury anymore here. But i still have plenty to explore and see if i can find them.

Swig_

I'm heading over near Portland twice for work. Once in a few weeks and then again in January.

Any suggestions on things to do? I'm flying into Portland, staying in Vancouver, WA and working in WA. The second trip I may bring my gf and take a road trip down the coast into NorCal. The first trip, I'll just be in the Portland area. I'd appreciate any suggestions of things to do, things to see or places to eat. I like the list in the OP, but any suggestions from people in the area would be cool.

brau

I'm heading over near Portland twice for work. Once in a few weeks and then again in January.

Any suggestions on things to do? I'm flying into Portland, staying in Vancouver, WA and working in WA. The second trip I may bring my gf and take a road trip down the coast into NorCal. The first trip, I'll just be in the Portland area. I'd appreciate any suggestions of things to do, things to see or places to eat. I like the list in the OP, but any suggestions from people in the area would be cool.

This thread has been pretty inactive for a little while. So I'll try to feed ya some good info. A while ago there was a thread with some really good recommendations food wise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349366

As far as things to do. Multnomah Falls and its neighboring trails are pretty awesome. Make sure you visit Crown Point for a beautiful vista of the valley. Specially if its a nice sunny day.

The drive to Mt Hood is also really nice. During fall there is a beautiful drive all around the mountain that has some beautiful scenery as well as places to stop and visit. If you're into wine, the Fruit Loop is pretty nice. A circuit that has tons of little shops, winerys, little markets and what not. Plus a beautiful view of Mt Hood.

Portland itself is full of nice things to do. Make sure you visit Powells if you like books. Best bookstore, hands down. Downtown is pretty nice, the waterfront as well. The pearl district has a lot of bars, nightlife, coffee places.

Any specific interests of yours?

Since you'll be in Vancouver i can suggest walking down to Esther Park and visiting the farmers market during the weekend. Its a really nice one.

Let me know if you want any specific activities. I am sure more people will reply with suggestions.

Swig_

I do like photography. I usually don't bring my DSLR unless I'm going somewhere I know I'll want pics of (Hawaii, for example).

Other than that, I like to see interesting things. For example, I went to the Mall of America in Minneapolis. I don't love malls, but I've heard about it for years, so I wanted to see it. I went to Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Doesn't really matter, as long as it beats chilling in my hotel room. I might check out that bookstore, just to see it. I could go for a drive or a short hike (I'm not way into hiking, but I like seeing sights if they're worth it).

I'm across the river in Vancouver. It is raining ash right now. Anyone down in Portland experiencing this?

It's quite light, but I caught a bit in my hand and it's definitely ash

I'm across the river in Vancouver. It is raining ash right now. Anyone down in Portland experiencing this?

It's quite light, but I caught a bit in my hand and it's definitely ash

Got me curious and I can confirm the same for Beaverton area. Went for a ten minute walk and it was light, but constant, while I was outside.

Here's a time-lapse of the fire...
https://youtu.be/XR2DhoWsxo4

It's been snowing bits of ash in the Tualatin, Tigard, Lake O area constantly throughout the morning. A lot worse than yesterday for sure. Crazy that the Eagle Creek fire has jumped across the Columbia into Washington. I've heard Oneonta has been hit and it's nearing Multnomah Falls. It's going to be sad to see the state of the trails in the Gorge when its all put out. Hope all of PortlandGAF and CouveGAF is staying safe.

jfoul

My wife and I have decided to get a cat since we're pretty stable financially after the move now. Any adoption center recommendations?

jfoul

My GF volunteers for the Pixie Project:
http://www.pixieproject.org/

Its pretty legit and they take really good care of the animals they take in.
She says the cats there are really kind and most are sociable.

We looked all over, including the Pixie Project, and eventually found a kitten at the Oregon Humane Society. My wife named her Nori, and we've had her for five days now.

uivhL6R.jpg

Noks415

Hey guys , I'm planning to go to portland towards the end of October to celebrate my 1 year wedding anniversary. I'm having trouble narrowing hotels. My main concern is the location. I want to be located somewhere that allows easy travel and access to all the great things Portland has to offer. Any suggestions? or is hotel location not really an issue for city like Portland? I'm from NYC so walking and using public transportation isn't really an issue for me.

Doombear

I'd say it's definitely not as much of a concern here. Public transportation is excellent. What hotels are you torn between and why? Pretty much anywhere downtown or on the East side close in is going to allow you easily to grab a bus or lightrail.

jfoul

Hey guys , I'm planning to go to portland towards the end of October to celebrate my 1 year wedding anniversary. I'm having trouble narrowing hotels. My main concern is the location. I want to be located somewhere that allows easy travel and access to all the great things Portland has to offer. Any suggestions? or is hotel location not really an issue for city like Portland? I'm from NYC so walking and using public transportation isn't really an issue for me.

Pretty much any hotel in downtown Portland, Waterfront, or even the Marriott by the convention center all have convenient transportation. If you fly in, the airport even has a rail station that will take you right into downtown. I suggest picking a hotel you want to spend your anniversary, and go from there.

Pretty much what Jfoul and Doombear said is accurate. But if you wanna go all out for your one year I can't help but recommend The Nines hotel in Downtown. They also have a great rooftop bar/lounge called Departure and a great restaurant for brunch and dinner called Urban Farmer.

jfoul

I'm trying to sell some things locally. Just shoot me a message if you're interested, or know somebody that is. I'm getting tired of dealing with people on Craigslist, and Facebook Portland B/S/T. I might add my PS1, PS2, and PS3 consoles/games to this as well. Most of all of my stuff is in very good, to like new condition.

Anybody know if you can sell games and magazines at the retro game show coming up at the convention center?

Xbox One Bundle
PS TV
LG G5
DS3 Controller
51 Gamefan Magazines from 93-98
Retro Strat Guides
Retro Videogame promo material

Here is my post in the GAF B/S/T

Cat Party

I'm trying to sell some things locally. Just shoot me a message if you're interested, or know somebody that is. I'm getting tired of dealing with people on Craigslist, and Facebook Portland B/S/T. I might add my PS1, PS2, and PS3 consoles/games to this as well. Most of all of my stuff is in very good, to like new condition.

Anybody know if you can sell games and magazines at the retro game show coming up at the convention center?

Xbox One Bundle
PS TV
LG G5
DS3 Controller
51 Gamefan Magazines from 93-98
Retro Strat Guides
Retro Videogame promo material

Here is my post in the GAF B/S/T
The retro game show is cool. Some of the dealers might be interested in your older stuff but I don't know. You could also try the store that puts the show on, Retro Game Wizards or something like that. They're on Foster at I-205.

jfoul

The retro game show is cool. Some of the dealers might be interested in your older stuff but I don't know. You could also try the store that puts the show on, Retro Game Wizards or something like that. They're on Foster at I-205.

Thanks for the info, I sent them an email. I'm also thinking about selling my PS1, PS2, and PS3 collections. Bunch of rare, and unique JRPGs that I bought that I'll probably never play. My back log is overwhelming.

jfoul

My one year agreement with Comcast/Internet will be coming up for renewal in about four months (Currently paying $59.99 for 200/20 Mbps). They'll probably try to raise the prices because I'm not a new customer anymore, so I'm looking for alternatives. Century Link doesn't offer Gig Fiber in my area, and 100/100 Frontier Fiber isn't available either. I think Stephouse / Static Wireless is available in my area that offers 1/1 Gbps. Has anybody here used the Stephouse static wireless service? No term agreement and the install is free, so if It's available, I might just try it out. I think this is the technology that Google is migrating towards.

Unicorn

Moved here a year ago and still have 0 friends. It's starting to take a toll on me. I tried Meetup app once but I just felt awkwardly attached to an event with people that already knew the ropes. I go out with coworkers when we line something up, but that only happens for when someone quits lol.

Moved here a year ago and still have 0 friends. It's starting to take a toll on me. I tried Meetup app once but I just felt awkwardly attached to an event with people that already knew the ropes. I go out with coworkers when we line something up, but that only happens for when someone quits lol.
mYm and I get together every couple weeks or so with our partners and go out to eat.
Personally, I'm open to the idea of meeting more Gaf people.

mYm|17|

I am down to meet others. Met Will (Alcotholic) and it was a great time and we hang out here and there.

Going to meet up with somebody and her partner today at Rock and Roll Chili Pit after work.

Top Bottom