• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States most dangerous neighborhoods in 2014: Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

While not on this list, a neighborhood here in upstate SC made other lists to my shock. It's the Woodside community in Greenville, SC...

http://google-street-view.com/top-25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods-in-america/

http://elseshare.com/dangerous-neighborhoods/

6- Woodside Greenville, SC
The neighborhood of Woodside in Greenville, South Carolina is not only one of the most dangerous in America but is also one of the poorest. The list shows that the two typically go hand in hand and the section of South Carolina that occupies the 29611 zip code is a prime example. Woodside has a violent crime rate of 86.38 per 1,000 residents and there is a 1 in 12 chance of becoming a victim here. 70% of the neighborhood children live in poverty and there are more single mothers in this section than there are in 98.1% of the entire country.

While not on this list, a neighborhood here in upstate SC made other lists to my shock. It's the Woodside community in Greenville, SC...

http://google-street-view.com/top-25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods-in-america/

http://elseshare.com/dangerous-neighborhoods/

dat street view tho

cgvcu.jpeg

Downhome

dat street view tho

Wow, I didn't even notice that.

I had no clue somewhere in Greenville could be so high up the list. I knew there were bad areas there, there are a few bad ares here in Anderson, but there are bad areas everywhere for the most part. I just didn't know there were areas that bad.

Not a single locale in New England. Nice.

Yup I work at Hopkins and on my break I sometimes walk to NorthEast market. It's crazy that there's this huge hospital in the middle of a highly impoverished area trying to save face while other people live in horrible conditions.

The hospital might be there helping people, not saving face.... right?

Saginaw and Detroit disproportionately well-represented?

As expected. Americans, if you want to see what the 3rd world looks like without leaving the states, take a plane into Flint, MI and drive the 30 minutes to Saginaw.

As expected. Americans, if you want to see what the 3rd world looks like without leaving the states, take a plane into Flint, MI and drive the 30 minutes to Saginaw.

It would be easier just to link the area in google maps for us :) I don't want to go there first hand.

Not a single locale in New England. Nice.

The hospital might be there helping people, not saving face.... right?
No it's actually forcing people to leave their homes and relocate them out of the city at will. Johns Hopkins is gentrifying the city and the surrounding neighborhoods are atrocious.

wildfire

Banned
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread it's to never go to Michigan.

Don't confuse Michigan for Detroit. In fact there are actually very safe neighborhoods in Detroit itself and to my understanding classicism is a big part of their local politics compared to the rest of the country.

No it's actually forcing people to leave their homes and relocate them out of the city at will. Johns Hopkins is gentrifying the city and the surrounding neighborhoods are atrocious.

How is the hospital a driving force for gentrification? I can't imagine there are that many employees making bank like a high end cardiac surgeon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I remember one time I stopped at a Saginaw exit looking for fast food. Never again. If you pick the wrong exit, it's a terrible, terrible area.

Partially surprised there's still a spot in there for DC. I remember even as a kid only a decade ago SE and Anacostia were verboten. These days the Navy Yard is all gentrified and a lot of the bad places on U Street are gone as well. Guess it's only a matter of time before the rest of the city gets cleaned up and converted to fro-yo and brunch joints if trends hold.
U st. is really gentrified now though I've still heard some blatently racist stereotypes
Insulting it. Columbia heights too. It's pushing even farther too with NoMa and H st. a little farther east leading another march.

How is the hospital a driving force for gentrification? I can't imagine there are that many employees making bank like a high end cardiac surgeon.
Johns Hopkins makes BANK brah. The new building alone cost $1 billion and was given to them by a sheik. We just recently went on strike because of the low wages they pay here as well.

As far as the gentrifying, they have been buying up projects all over and forcing people to move out of the city into the county. Johns Hopkins has entities all over Baltimore and is a major part of this city. It's more than just a hospital as a matter of fact most people refer to it as it's own city.

Woo! East St. Louis took the title from Detroit again!

Fuck St. Louis. I am so glad I live far enough away from that mess, but close enough to go downtown if I need to.

I feel like it's a little weird to separate it out onto neighborhoods to get the same cities listed multiple times on the list.

I mean, Rockford, East St. Louis, and parts of Chicago are bonafide shitholes, but it seems a little bit like cherry picking to serve an agenda, those two neighborhoods in Rockford, are, surprisingly, very close to one another.

RP912

Banned
I'm flabbergastic that camden is not on the list. I remember this girl I used to talked to from there saying she got to carry a knife with her even in broad daylight it's so bad.

Camden- The only place in America where the police throw up the white flag.

Einbroch

Banned
I feel like it's a little weird to separate it out onto neighborhoods to get the same cities listed multiple times on the list.

I mean, Rockford, East St. Louis, and parts of Chicago are bonafide shitholes, but it seems a little bit like cherry picking to serve an agenda, those two neighborhoods in Rockford, are, surprisingly, very close to one another.

Number 18, N. Rockton Ave. at W. State St, isn't even that bad. I drove that almost daily and never felt unsafe. Number 5, however, fuck that area. I was talking on my phone, in my car at a stoplight, and two dudes in the car next to me asked if I was using the new iPhone. He then pointed down at his lap, signaling a weapon most likely. The light changed and I sped off.

No thanks.

I'm flabbergastic that camden is not on the list. I remember this girl I used to talked to from there saying she got to carry a knife with her even in broad daylight it's so bad.

It's #10

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

Supposedly it's getting better

Police are using a lot more cameras .. There was a segment on HBO Vice talking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom