• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States most dangerous neighborhoods in 2014: Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Twin Cities are alright. Everything considered.

South Minneapolis can get sketchy but not overtly.

North Minneapolis is where you don't want to be on hot summer nights. And this is coming from someone who lives in Frogtown.

But Minnesota don't got anything on Ill-Annoy. Minneapolis is where Chitown bangers go to get away from dat life (or try to start a new empire).

Bebpo

Banned
Woo, my city is famous!

I actually haven't really gone to that part of the city, but looking at a map, I work about a half mile away, so it seems the crime is mostly localized.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised. I went out to Rochester a few years ago to spend time with my grandfather before he passed and it seemed like the nicest, safest quiet old town for retirement communities. I guess I didn't see the localized "bad" areas while driving around there.

mollipen

Grew up off of 55th & Ames, went to North High (getting close to 30th & Ames). When I was young, the area around my house was totally fine, the area around 30th & 24th weren't great but never what I'd call scary, at least to me.

Over time, though, things definitely changed. One of Omaha's huge problems was white flight west (and I guess sort or south as well), and as the city's "important area" moved, it left dead parts of the city in its wake.

Getting worried the undesirables are getting too close to your world? No problem - just keep moving West!

Relevant:

U3XIsD6.png

Note: "War Zone"; "Look the fuck out"; "quite a bit of arson"; "oh hell no"; "zombie apocalypse," etc.

From here

The whole thing is sadly accurate.

East St. Louis and St. Louis aren't the same city though, right?

They're close, yeah, but there is a state line and the Mississippi River between them.

I have family in St. Louis, MO and none of them would ever set foot in East St. Louis, IL.

Growing up in so cal most of the high crime areas I've been exposed to are extremely urban. It's odd too see the more rural areas in some of these street views.

LuchaShaq

Banned
These numbers should really be adjusted for gang violence.

In many violent areas you are basically fine as long as you aren't/don't live with someone involved.

Violence on civilians is simply different.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Never would've guessed Rochester would be near the top of the list.

The Rochester economy has went down the toilet in the last 25 years. Almost every large employee company operating in that area in the early 80s-mid 90s is gone. Kodak, Exxon's engineering labs/offices etc etc. Anyone with a good education left with the jobs and the money. All that's left is snow and desperate under educated people with a shit job at best.

Jesus Christ what a shithole!

I've been to East St. Louis (we have an office there) dozens of times and never been robbed.

As much as people like to rave about how dangerous America is. It's really average when it comes to world-wide crime. The average Columbian, Venezuelan, or Brazilian barrio makes Detroit look "cute" in comparison.

I genuinely wonder why there is so much violence in the Midwest.

Huge segregation, the fall of industry, and just in general a poor job market with a mediocre welfare state.

That said, it must be mentioned that these are respectable people. Not all of the poor neighborhoods look this rough (despite being equally poor), and lots of people take great pride in the appearance of their homes. Saginaw (and Flint like it) are victims of the erosion of power of GM, Ford and Chrysler. These were cities built on the back of the auto industry. They are cities that would not have existed without them. Indeed, they would have simply been farm land or something. But the auto industries moved in, hired people at good salries by the thousands, and cities and economies grew out of nothing.

Then they left. Largely leaving the cities and underemployed people behind. Some could move to follow the auto manufacturers. Many could not. Many who stayed could not find employment paying as well and could no longer afford the homes lifestyles to which they became accustomed.

Detroit is also the way it is largely because of the dependence of the Big 3. It's a cautionary tale, to be sure, and most cities and city planners have learned it: don't put all your eggs in one package. Diversify city income and employment.
I was about to say that that is one nice looking hood. They keep their yards cleaned and their houses painted.

TheJLC

It's where gangs at war with each other, kill each other. And in some places (Chicago) the cops let them. There's such a long history of organized crime in Chicago that the cops have accepted they don't have the man power to beat them but they can contain them. That's why the north side is saturated with cops and super nice, one of the nicest areas I've ever been to, while the south side is a warzone.

Hmm... No. I can tell you that the Southside is more saturated with cops than the north. The Northside is rising in property and all sorts of crimes because all officers are on the Southside. The Southside gets foot patrol, bike patrol, regular units, special units, and VRI. Now southside is getting State Troopers patrolling, Sheriff, and 40 FBI Agents.

Overall, the city doesn't have any manpower at all. The city keeps cutting the budget and each time we are undermanned the city cuts the positions. We are supposed to be at 12,000-14,000 cops. City says 8,000 to 10,000 is fine. We are down approximately 3,500 officers and the city won't hire. The city says were are at capacity but called in the ISP, Cook County Sheriff, and FBI to patrol the streets of the southside.

But you aren't wrong about containment. VRI and Special Units are tasked with going after the gangs while regular patrol keeps them from spreading to other areas. Which is why you will see your friendly squad under a viaduct, at popular intersections, looking to see if they can stop a shooting.

dengatron

As a white male in my mid 20's that doesn't scare too easily, I've been through some of the "rougher" neighborhoods in new york, but even I wouldn't stroll through camden alone. Stayed in philly last week for this is hardcore and paid over double the price for a room nightly to stay on the PA side of that bridge.

Agree on Broadstreet/Courtland and maybe West Jeffries, disagee fully on Wyoming/Orangelawn I don't how they keep getting in these lists there isn't anything out there, could be a hotbed for stickups though. Anywhere on Livernois is fair game (especially West Chicago, if I wasn't cool with people in that area I wouldn't fuck with them). How the hell did Flint not get on this list?

EDIT: I'm" talking about Detroit BTW, I live here.

McBryBry

Living in south Illinois, I've never been robbed, but I can vouch for East St. Louis (and sometimes St. Louis as well) being a scary place. Do NOT like going through there. And as previously stated, it is really segregated here, plus jobs are slim pickings.

Hmm... No. I can tell you that the Southside is more saturated with cops than the north. The Northside is rising in property and all sorts of crimes because all officers are on the Southside. The Southside gets foot patrol, bike patrol, regular units, special units, and VRI. Now southside is getting State Troopers patrolling, Sheriff, and 40 FBI Agents.

Overall, the city doesn't have any manpower at all. The city keeps cutting the budget and each time we are undermanned the city cuts the positions. We are supposed to be at 12,000-14,000 cops. City says 8,000 to 10,000 is fine. We are down approximately 3,500 officers and the city won't hire. The city says were are at capacity but called in the ISP, Cook County Sheriff, and FBI to patrol the streets of the southside.

But you aren't wrong about containment. VRI and Special Units are tasked with going after the gangs while regular patrol keeps them from spreading to other areas. Which is why you will see your friendly squad under a viaduct, at popular intersections, looking to see if they can stop a shooting.

My explanation comes com a long conversation with a cop about the subject. From what I understand they focus on where the south side meets the north side,not the heart of the south side. They're much more concerned with their territory not spreading than they are with eliminating the crime.

You must be talking Milwaukee north side if you're saying it's not saturated. Cause from the Loop to Southport there are cops everywhere and I feel a thousand time more safe than In manhattan. Especially river north to Wrigley.

And even off of Milwaukee it's nothing like Austin. The only place I ever saw cops in Austin was off the L. And then farther west closer to downtown they're all over Humboldt.

TheJLC

My explanation comes com a long conversation with a cop about the subject. From what I understand they focus on where the south side meets the north side,not the heart of the south side.

You must be talking Milwaukee north side if you're saying it's not saturated. Cause from the Loop to Southport there are cops everywhere and I feel a thousand time more safe than In manhattan. Especially river north to Wrigley.

Loop is always going to be saturated. Can't have the tourists getting mugged! (Happening a lot along the Mile) So you will always see a lot of units around Wrigley, Loop, US Cellular, and other tourist areas around the loop/lakefront.

But north side is no longer saturated. Some geniuses in city hall (Mayor and Superintendent) decided to combine districts and send those officers to the south side. So instead of 400 officers patrolling 2 districts, now it's ~200 officers patrolling 2 districts.

And yes, area where south and north meet are also saturated with cops. But like I said previously, it's the regular patrol units. All the units from the north were moved to make a type of wall that prevents crime from moving north and sent further south too. But the South and West sides are even more saturated than that. Problem is that the north and that wall are losing officers daily due to retirements, quitting, suicide, and injury. City is not replacing them.

Remember what happened at Montrose Beach a month or so ago? No units in the North Side to help the officers getting bottles and cans of beer thrown at them. Units had to come from other stretched thin districts.

Loop is always going to be saturated. Can't have the tourists getting mugged! (Happening a lot along the Mile) So you will always see a lot of units around Wrigley, Loop, US Cellular, and other tourist areas around the loop/lakefront.

But north side is no longer saturated. Some geniuses in city hall (Mayor and Superintendent) decided to combine districts and send those officers to the south side. So instead of 400 officers patrolling 2 districts, now it's ~200 officers patrolling 2 districts.

And yes, area where south and north meet are also saturated with cops. But like I said previously, it's the regular patrol units. All the units from the north were moved to make a type of wall that prevents crime from moving north and sent further south too. But the South and West sides are even more saturated than that. Problem is that the north and that wall are losing officers daily due to retirements, quitting, suicide, and injury. City is not replacing them.

Remember what happened at Montrose Beach a month or so ago? No units in the North Side to help the officers getting bottles and cans of beer thrown at them. Units had to come from other stretched thin districts.
I moved out a year ago. But yeah once you go that far north there aren't any cops, you're right. I wouldn't call southport touristy but there's a lot of cops and it's close to Montrose. Chicago PD is weird.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just checked out East St. Louis on Streetview. Yup, it's quite the shithole. I would feel like my life is in danger if I ever had to fill up at a gas station over there.

TheJLC

I moved out a year ago. But yeah once you go that far north there aren't any cops, you're right. I wouldn't call southport touristy but there's a lot of cops and it's close to Montrose. Chicago PD is weird.

Well command has no idea what they are doing, imo. Police are currently saturating South and West sides along with Loop areas. But when something happens, there aren't enough cops in the city to respond properly. So you have to move the cops that you have to respond to the increase in crime. So it's a continuous shift and movement of officers not giving them time to be effective.

Crime increase in Humboldt? Move 50 officers there right now! Now in Little Village?! Move those officers there now! Englewood is about to flare up?! Send 100 there this weekend! And let's not forget the summer fests that require police. (Fiesta del Sol, Lolapalooza, Gay Pride, Air Show, etc..)

It's a mess because the city says there are enough cops on the streets. When at the same time they asked ISP, Sheriff, and FBI to send more bodies to fill that 3,500+ gap.

Irnbru

No Los Angeles? I remember being warned not to go out at night when I was there for E3 in 2006. It was an area a few blocks from the Staples Center too, kind of surprising.

Lolwut, that area used to be bad about ten years ago, it's quite nice now.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Unsurprisingly, one of the best BBQ joints I Have eaten at is 3 blocks from one of the addresses on the list. I went once after dark and felt pretty damn paranoid about people staring at my car...

In my experience, the best food comes from dirty looking buildings in bad areas.

YAY!!! Now I can finally go to Hawkins House of Burgers since Watts is safe now!
[[url]http://unitedgangs.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/grapestreetshotbu8.png/img][/url]
[img]http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/111/511936c89255451abc7c04b7b7ba17a9/l.jpg
grape-street-crips%20(3).jpg

lil-watts.jpg

r60s.jpg

324abce8ca346f3fac0e3213842e3db4.jpg

Totally safe now guys!

MLK Avenue in Baltimore, man...

My mother asked me to drive her there from D.C., to look at foreclosed homes she saw in the newspaper. When we arrived on the street, I slowed down to find parking, and she instantly yelled for me to keep driving and to take her back to D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom