• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States most dangerous neighborhoods in 2014: Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be easier just to link the area in google maps for us :) I don't want to go there first hand.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x8823e9b7d41d1a6d:0xb83313d90cbcf372

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.429...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMEJJL2ZVrFJjqC-kH_Tadg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x8823e9b7d41d1a6d:0xb83313d90cbcf372

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.428...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shsithNQmSeMbYYNSQcQrcA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.439...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sX7pOPjbWDY8u36QFGOTP1g!2e0

Funny thing about Saginaw is if you go over the highway bridge, the city becomes,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...ohL2qRXg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x23f32ce29e8f9283 (yes, the white people live on the other side of the river)

That said, it must be mentioned that these are respectable people. Not all of the poor neighborhoods look this rough (despite being equally poor), and lots of people take great pride in the appearance of their homes. Saginaw (and Flint like it) are victims of the erosion of power of GM, Ford and Chrysler. These were cities built on the back of the auto industry. They are cities that would not have existed without them. Indeed, they would have simply been farm land or something. But the auto industries moved in, hired people at good salries by the thousands, and cities and economies grew out of nothing.

Then they left. Largely leaving the cities and underemployed people behind. Some could move to follow the auto manufacturers. Many could not. Many who stayed could not find employment paying as well and could no longer afford the homes lifestyles to which they became accustomed.

Detroit is also the way it is largely because of the dependence of the Big 3. It's a cautionary tale, to be sure, and most cities and city planners have learned it: don't put all your eggs in one package. Diversify city income and employment.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Unsurprisingly, one of the best BBQ joints I Have eaten at is 3 blocks from one of the addresses on the list. I went once after dark and felt pretty damn paranoid about people staring at my car...

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Outside of a few blocks, Detroit isn't really that bad. There are a lot of artists and shit moving there and the suburbs of Detroit are really nice.
You really want to stay off those few blocks though. A friend of mine got lost in that area and asked for directions from a dude, the dude gave him wrong directions and led him to a spot where he got jumped by a bunch of guys.

No thanks

THE:MILKMAN

I'm sure for those gaffers that live in any of these neighborhoods these figures are highly exaggerated and/or sensationalist?

I have just checked the crime figures for my street (Leicester, UK) for this year up to the end of June.

2 reported crimes (a theft and criminal damage) total. To read the local paper you would think the end is nigh, though!

NH Apache

Banned

New Orleans, Louisiana: Conti St. at Marals St. – 83.58

Doesn't exist. First off, it's Marais St. Secondly, these two streets don't even cross. They stop. The location would put it about the middle of a housing development, a place where people don't even walk. People barely even live in the Iberville PJ's anymore.

I'm not contesting that we don't have realy problems; we do. but give a real location, not some scare tactic location where people don't even walk. It's not even a neighborhood.

Number 18, N. Rockton Ave. at W. State St, isn't even that bad. I drove that almost daily and never felt unsafe. Number 5, however, fuck that area. I was talking on my phone, in my car at a stoplight, and two dudes in the car next to me asked if I was using the new iPhone. He then pointed down at his lap, signaling a weapon most likely. The light changed and I sped off.

No thanks.

I've had quite a few questionable encounters in Rockford, usually when I'm not on my guard and I feel very fortunate when nothing goes down.

I'm an engineering consultant for the state, and because I'm from the area, I get tossed all of the Rockford area projects, and sometimes it feels like you have a bulls eye painted on your chest when you're wearing the reflective vest and creeping around neighborhoods in a state vehicle.

Hindl

When moving to NJ one of the apartment complexes I was looking in the lady showing us the place told me never to go there lol. I haven't been there personally but I lived in a couple bad areas in NYC...not sure how it compares

Camden is one of the worst areas I've ever been in my life. Aside from the Aquarium and the Susquehana Bank Center, you can't walk anywhere. Which kinda sucks NJ is really nice and beautiful, but most people's impressions are either of Camden from Pennsylvania, or Newark from NYC, which are terrible. For some reason, almost all of the major cities in NJ are bad news bears

Camden is one of the worst areas I've ever been in my life. Aside from the Aquarium and the Susquehana Bank Center, you can't walk anywhere. Which kinda sucks NJ is really nice and beautiful, but most people's impressions are either of Camden from Pennsylvania, or Newark from NYC, which are terrible. For some reason, almost all of the major cities in NJ are bad news bears

I guess I live pretty close to Camden but the area I moved to seems pretty nice (Cherry Hill). I'm unfamiliar with South Jersey tho

Lol

there are parts :p

They really have to break the back of the illegal drug industry. Most of the problems stem from that. Even poverty wouldn't be as bad if drugs had no value.

Zeke

Intresting nothing in Texas and no California? I don't know about this list. Jesus Saginaw fix your shitty roads.

Brakke

Banned
When John Carpenter needed a post apocalyptic urban hellscape to film Escape From New York, he went to East St Louis. Hasn't much improved...

dookeh

My friend and I got robbed at gunpoint by our cab driver in East St Louis. He dropped us off in the middle of the ghetto. I flagged down a police officer minutes after it happened, and they proceeded to laugh at us and one of them pistol whipped my buddy in the head. I've stayed a lot more sober when I head East since then...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Outside of a few blocks, Detroit isn't really that bad. There are a lot of artists and shit moving there and the suburbs of Detroit are really nice.
You really want to stay off those few blocks though. A friend of mine got lost in that area and asked for directions from a dude, the dude gave him wrong directions and led him to a spot where he got jumped by a bunch of guys.

No thanks

I think you have that reversed: outside of a few nice blocks, it really is that bad. The only reason it isn't worse is because of how few people actually still live there.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Memphis, TN was #1 a few years back, right? Either they started acting better or other places got worse...
It's the second. I lived in Memphis almost all of my life and got the fuck out a couple years ago. Going from Memphis to Orange County, CA is probably the biggest transition possible in this country. Well, maybe going from anywhere Mississippi to OC is bigger, but my point remains. Loving it out here.

I thought dudes were getting wrecked left and right in Baltimore Maryland.
They are in certain parts. Having been here my entire life though it feels like something only happens to you if you get into some shit though. Street smarts go a long way in baltimore.

Catdaddy

I'm shocked at there being 9 places in the country worse than Camden NJ. That place is a festering hive.

VICE on HBO had a story about Camden, basically most of the city is under surveillance with cameras everywhere and the cops have a heavy presence and has cut back on some of the street crime.

Jackson TN suprised, I google street viewed and not a lot at that corner, I guess at night its different.

32qRLo6.gif
I don't mean to insult this because it's actually a funny take on the usual "tourists suck" cliche, but why are people that do this type of thing so bad at acting?

If that woman put 30 seconds of effort in imagining herself in that situation, she'd realize that that's not how a person would react at all.

Sometimes rich business areas can be very violent areas. So I was wondering. I don't understand what gang borders means?
It's where gangs at war with each other, kill each other. And in some places (Chicago) the cops let them. There's such a long history of organized crime in Chicago that the cops have accepted they don't have the man power to beat them but they can contain them. That's why the north side is saturated with cops and super nice, one of the nicest areas I've ever been to, while the south side is a warzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom