• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit - Winning numbers:

Someone in Massachusetts got the jackpot.
n8TpDC8.jpg

http://www.powerball.com/pb_home.asp

WSB-TV‏ @wsbtv

And the winning #Powerball numbers for the $700 million jackpot are... 7-26-16-23-6 with a Powerball of 4!

ABC News‏ @ABC

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing, lottery officials say.

Link.

The estimated jackpot for the Powerball jackpot has increased to $700 million.

That is a $443.3 million cash value.

If awarded, it will be the second largest jackpot in Powerball game history and the second largest among lottery jackpots in North America.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll get a couple dollars worth of tickets. Why not at this point. If I win I'll fund one of those dream games GAF says will never happen.

How does one play this? What type of numbers do you have to pick?
Go to your local convenience store and ask then for a Powerball ticket.

The highest number is 69 and the lowest is 1. You can either choose the numbers you want or have them give you random numbers the machine picks for you.
I very rarely buy lotto tickets, but usually when it gets up to some absurd amount, I'll buy one just to join in the frenzy. And then, when I lose, I consider it a small donation to my city's schools, roads, and sidewalks.

I was interested in lotto statistics and looked up to find that about 70% of Americans in their 20s and 30s play the lottery at least once a year. Imagine if 70% of people in their 20s and 30s voted at least once a year.
The obvious solution is that we have a big lottery the day after election day and the only way to get a ticket is to vote.

Dishwalla

Banned
How does one play this? What type of numbers do you have to pick?

You don't have to pick numbers, you can get a ticket with random numbers on it. Heck here it's easier than ever, most stores have these big green vending machines where as long as you have cash you can get Powerball, Mega Millions, and various scratch off tickets printed out.

Van Bur3n

You shall be left in the dust GAF as soon as I win this. Left behind in irrelevance as I bask in wealth and fortune. Fret not, however, for I will send you a postcard while I am vacationing in the Caribbean.

Only time I ever bought a lottery ticket was when it went over 1 billion a little while ago. Might pick one up if I get a chance before Wednesday but I'm not going to go out if my way to get one either.

Why do American lotteries do that "before taxes"(or whatever is subtracted) bullshit? It feels like a massive lie.
I prefer the Austrian "you get exactly what was advertised" method.

I would hate to win in a state where the winner has to be published and/or do a press conference.
What the hell? That's an thing?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm in

I would hate to win in a state where the winner has to be published and/or do a press conference.

There was a thread on Reddit about that, you would have to get a lawyer/foundation which doesn't give your real name but the foundation name, which means you could use any name or made up shit like "make more snes classic NoA" foundation

theWB27

Why do American lotteries do that "before taxes" bullshit? It feels like a massive lie.

Because people know it's going to be taxed. And it isn't a lie since they explicitly tell you the amount is before taxes.

I'll be getting some...always do.

Malreyn

I'll get a couple dollars worth of tickets. Why not at this point. If I win I'll fund one of those dream games GAF says will never happen.

But the Powerball costs 2 dollars...=P.

To everyone playing, Good Luck to you all but that Jackpots mine, you hear me?!?

Because people know it's going to be taxed. And it isn't a lie since they explicitly tell you the amount is before taxes.

I'll be getting some...always do.

They are still advertising a number that's not representative of the actual winnings.
Austrians don't pay taxes on winnings, that's why the concept is so weird to me in the first place.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm in

There was a thread on Reddit about that, you would have to get a lawyer/foundation which doesn't give your real name but the foundation name, which means you could use any name or made up shit like "make more snes classic NoA" foundation

Some states have laws that your name is published. Nys is one of them. They want the lotto winner to be a person with a face so people can think that there is an actual winner. This policy ruins lives.

Why do American lotteries do that "before taxes"(or whatever is subtracted) bullshit? It feels like a massive lie.

I guess it adds to the rest of your income. So if you make like $1 billion per year then you pay all the winnings as taxes (roughly 40% of your total income).

So they can't tell you the amount upfront because it depends on all your other earnings

DonShula

i hope yall are working at a company. it's always the white companies who are winning.

And there's the one lady who asked to buy in but forgot to pay that day and now they're cutting her out of the winnings because she was kind of a bitch anyway and never brought anything decent to the pitch-ins and now here come the lawyers.

theWB27

They are still advertising a number that's not representative of the actual winnings.
Austrians don't pay taxes on winnings, that's why the concept is so weird to me in the first place.

And telling you it's not representative of the amount you win. I don't there's a person who plays who doesn't know they'll be taxed. Most people I talk to automatically deduct what they it'll be after taxes. It's not too hard.

br3wnor

WElp. Looks like I'll buy my annual ticket

Haha yup, I pull the trigger any time the jackpot gets crazy huge. Buy 2 tickets and that’s it because if it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. The people who spend $500 on tickets (and are not wealthy already) are out of their minds, feel bad for people that do that.

For sure, first call I’d make if I won was to the guy who handles our investments and ask him to get us a lawyer so that we can begin process of collecting this anonymously. Would only tell close family/friends who I planned on giving some money to that I won. Wayyyy too much shit to deal w/ if you make it public.

I don't bother with lotteries individually, but whenever I'm part of a group that invites me to join a lottery pool, I always say yes. On the off chance that someone in the group wins, I would literally not be able to live with myself if I had opted out. That's worth the $2 peace of mind

SeanC

I'll grab a couple tix after work today.

I never really go in with a gameplan. I know some take it super seriously, though. I just jot down numbers and go, same chance.

In Mexico we get taxed on lottery winnings between 7 to 12% depending on the state and the winner get to be anonymous. I never got why this ridiculous 50% tax for the announced winnings and 90% of the time having to announce the full name and faces of the winner(s).

And telling you it's not representative of the amount you win.
Sure. Still BS in my opinion, there's an obvious reason why they don't simply show the lower number, which is the number that'll actually matter to people imo.
I guess I'm just salty about the concept of taxing winnings.

How did I not know this?
Now I'm wondering what kinds of random luck gambles fall under this exception.
In Austria? As far as I can tell, basically everything.
For example lotto, scratching tickets, poker too, supposedly.

Haha yup, I pull the trigger any time the jackpot gets crazy huge. Buy 2 tickets and that’s it because if it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. The people who spend $500 on tickets (and are not wealthy already) are out of their minds, feel bad for people that do that.

For sure, first call I’d make if I won was to the guy who handles our investments and ask him to get us a lawyer so that we can begin process of collecting this anonymously. Would only tell close family/friends who I planned on giving some money to that I won. Wayyyy too much shit to deal w/ if you make it public.

1. You might have to go public.
2. If you can be private, don't tell anyone until you're literally giving people money.

And there's the one lady who asked to buy in but forgot to pay that day and now they're cutting her out of the winnings because she was kind of a bitch anyway and never brought anything decent to the pitch-ins and now here come the lawyers.

That happened at my part time job, someone didn't want to chip in and when the person bought the tickets he got pissed that he wouldn't get any money, dumb af

I'll buy you a falcon if I win, coach Shula :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sure. Still BS in my opinion, there's an obvious reason why they don't simply show the lower number, which is the number that'll actually matter to people imo.
I guess I'm just salty about the concept of taxing winnings.

In Austria? As far as I can tell, basically everything.
Lotto, scratching tickets, poker too, supposedly.
Wait til you hear about lump sum vs annual payments.

Top Bottom