• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

entremet

Kinda weird anyone would expect a lottery player and winner to know anything about trusts. Lotteries prey on the financially illiterate.

Tagyhag

She didn't had that money though. Now she knows she has it, as long as she claims it. Sounds herculean to simply wait.

Believe me, I understand how difficult that must be. Especially since at my situation I'd have to continue to work before I could pick it up.

But 3 months of waiting vs a lifetime of paranoia, loss of friends and family, and not being safe anywhere in the world?

It's an easy choice.

She didn't had that money though. Now she knows she has it, as long as she claims it. Sounds herculean to simply wait.

It is, no doubt. But 3-6 months of agonizing waiting while you get your affairs in order and keep your identity secret is a far better option than spending the rest of your (potentially short) life hounded by everyone you've so much as waived to on the street for money.

Kinda weird anyone would expect a lottery player and winner to know anything about trusts. Lotteries prey on the financially illiterate.

I do believe one of the last mega-millions winners claimed their share via a trust and never showed their faces.

They clearly read that reddit post lol.

Believe me, I understand how difficult that must be. Especially since at my situation I'd have to continue to work before I could pick it up.

But 3 months of waiting vs a lifetime of paranoia, loss of friends and family, and not being safe anywhere in the world?

It's an easy choice.

Seriously. If I went through most of my life living from paycheck to paycheck and I knew I gotten the ultimate meal ticket in my hands, I wouldn't mind do the same old routine for just a bit longer to be better prepared to claim it.

It's an easy choice.

Is it because of the news-cycle? She would still have to show publicly after 3 months, right? (I'm not from US so idk).

Duffman

You don't have to wait for 6 months in this case. Just hire lawyers to do all the paperwork so you can remain anonymous and enjoy the money without random people asking for cash all the time.

Ryzaki009

Yes and that should let her know she has a fallback. Trying to rush it is a bad idea especially given what happened to other people in similar positions. Short term loss for long term gain.

The local news (I live in MA as well) just got done showing her home address for everyone to see and explaining exactly where she lives and what her house looks like...

I don't know her and I'm happy she won but I'm truly worried for her and I don't think I could ever function properly again if I were to win a huge lottery.

adj_noun

seriously this thread's reaction is so strange lol

Given that, as far as I can tell, the main point of contention seems to be whether or not one should attempt to prepare before claiming hundreds of millions of dollars and exposing their identity to the world, you're not wrong.

ISOM

The local news (I live in MA as well) just got done showing her home address for everyone to see and explaining exactly where she lives and what her house looks like...

I don't know her and I'm happy she won but I'm truly worried for her and I don't think I could ever function properly again if I were to win a huge lottery.

She's probably already out of the country.

Bread

Banned
I don't either, but what I do know what to do is Google.
Lots of people wouldn't even think to google. You just found out that you won hundreds of millions of dollars, the first thing most people think isn't "time to hire a lawyer", it's "let's go get that money and quit my job!".

Hell, I was talking to coworkers about the state laws for keeping yourself anonymous and they didn't care at all about that. This thread knows to be smart, that's great, but the general population doesn't give a shit about it.

Genuine question - if you don't come forward to the lottery within a certain timeframe, i.e. you don't claim your winnings, won't it like...rollover? Won't they assume the person isn't coming forward and just scrap it?

Yeah media isn't your friend here. They're absolutely trash and are acting extremely irresponsibly by just putting that out there.

Are you fucking serious? They might as well have a GPS tracker on her at all times. Make it easy for the assassins.

Salmonax

Hell, I was talking to coworkers about the state laws for keeping yourself anonymous and they didn't care at all about that. This thread knows to be smart, that's great, but the general population doesn't give a shit about it.

Very true, which is why so many large jackpot winners end up bankrupt or dead. Not that I think or hope that's what will happen for this woman.

Ryzaki009

Genuine question - if you don't come forward to the lottery within a certain timeframe, i.e. you don't claim your winnings, won't it like...rollover? Won't they assume the person isn't coming forward and just scrap it?

You get a year. But yeah someone supposedly lost their ticket and didn't find it in time and rip their money. I think they just keep it in that scenario.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Unbelievable lol..

MIMIC

Banned

A percentage of the lottery money goes to schools and whatnot. I'm assuming that if no one claimed it, it would just go to where the cut usually goes.

Gray Matter

Lady claimed the money FAST, but at least she claimed it unlike that family from Tennessee from last last years big jackpot that traveled to the today show before even claiming anything.

Wonder if they're still alive.

entremet

It is, no doubt. But 3-6 months of agonizing waiting while you get your affairs in order and keep your identity secret is a far better option than spending the rest of your (potentially short) life hounded by everyone you've so much as waived to on the street for money.

I do believe one of the last mega-millions winners claimed their share via a trust and never showed their faces.

They clearly read that reddit post lol.
Lol. She doesn’t even know what Reddit is I bet.

Lady claimed the money FAST, but at least she claimed it unlike that family from Tennessee from last last years big jackpot that traveled to the today show before even claiming anything.

Wonder if they're still alive.

I just don't fucking get that.

You're already a multi-fucking-millionaire. You REALLY need a few more thousand bucks???

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Jesus lol.

Lots of people wouldn't even think to google. You just found out that you won hundreds of millions of dollars, the first thing most people think isn't "time to hire a lawyer", it's "let's go get that money and quit my job!".

Yeah, I guess you are right. I posted earlier saying I can only imagine what she must be thinking/feeling.

But I will say for someone that played the lotto on a regular basis:

Wanczyk, a regular lotto player, had purchased the winning ticket on Wednesday afternoon from the Pride Station & Store in Chicopee, Mass. where she lives.

I would have figured she would have done more research.

I always wondered if you could get a law firm to represent the tax issues and what not for you on retainer for free and then pay them after you get the check(s). Or would they demand payment ahead of time?
Lawyer friends and I have talked about this lol. Some will absolutely, as well as financial managers and accountants.

To everyone who quoted me (Didn't want to super quote and I'm on mobile) but yeah. I was watching the local channel 7 news to be more specific and along with showing her press conference they also had a reporter outside her house and explaining this is where the winner lived and where the house is located. The reporter and accomponing video showing that there was a police car outside her house though I have no clue how long they'll be stationed there. They also showed both the place/owners where the real ticket and thought to be real ticket for a short time were sold and that the owners would win $50,000 and $10,000 respectively for selling the tickets.

It sucks that the world is the way it is but the entire way it's been handled has been a mess.

as silly as this sort of thing sounds, a speedrunner I know actually works with one of her sisters in the same lab. Life will be hell for all of them very soon...

What the hell....Well her life isn't going to go swimmingly after this.

as silly as this sort of thing sounds, a speedrunner I know actually works with one of her sisters in the same lab. Life will be hell for all of them very soon...

This is going to sound even crazier but I went to high school with her son and she works at the hospital with my aunt. I'm actually screaming!

Top Bottom