• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

Closest I ever came to winning the Powerball or Mega Millions was getting 4 numbers in one line and the other 2 numbers were 1+ or -1 from the numbers drawn.

I know you're joking, but this is going to happen to her for real. People will show up at her front door at all hours begging for money. It's gonna suck.
I don't recognize the person or name even though I live 10 min away from Chicopee. But even if I did know the person, I would never beg for money like that, especially if I barely knew the person. If they offered me it, I would take it, of course.

She should have really thought it out a bit more, or maybe talked to someone first before making it public she one.

Man, why would you come out and do a presser already? I'd wait a few months and get my ducks in a row before coming forward as a winner.

I always wondered if you could get a law firm to represent the tax issues and what not for you on retainer for free and then pay them after you get the check(s). Or would they demand payment ahead of time?

DogDude

Came forward right away. No lawyer. No trust.

I think this is one of those people that'll be bankrupt within a year.
Pretty much all winners of lottos that go bankrupt aren't this rich. I mean this is probably the biggest individual winning jackpot ever. She could try to go bankrupt and not do it in a year.

But yeah definitely could have handled this better

MIMIC

Banned
The Associated Press‏ @AP

BREAKING: Massachusetts lottery officials say winner of $758.7 million Powerball jackpot has come forward to claim prize.

God speed to the winner.

Well that was quick, lol. Hasn't even been 24 hours.

Cinderella chewing gum up there with her three evil sisters by her side all dressed up and fancy. Thats all I could think of.

It is an insane amount of money so I doubt she dies broke but she doesn't seem too bright claiming the single largest jackpot one person has ever won this fast and publicly. May the universe protect her. Give money to your family, tell them thats it one and done, and travel the world for a while to let the heat die down.

Came forward nearly right away?

Yikes.

I'll be fearing for my life. That is a insane amount of money and people get hurt for so much less.

She should plan to just travel the world as soon as possible to distant herself from all the attention coming her way.

8byte

Banned
I'd never really given it any thought...who do you contact to protect you when you win? I mean, who do you trust? haha.

Honestly that shit just sounds insanely scary on a surface level.

jstripes

Banned
I'd never really given it any thought...who do you contact to protect you when you win? I mean, who do you trust? haha.

Honestly that shit just sounds insanely scary on a surface level.

It's not just you. People will try to get to your money through your friends and family.

Massachusetts is one of the states where you can claim the money anonymously through a trust right? She really messed up claiming it so quickly and publicly. Even if she doesn't go broke right away, she is at a greater risk for being robbed or murdered since her name and face are going to be all over national news. Should have waited a bit and gotten all her ducks in a row first.

Furyous

I'd claim anonymously and go to work the next day. Just chill out and work for maybe six months, come in one day and quit without a two weeks notice.

It's a bad idea to travel with your name out there as winner because you can easily get kidnapped. Just move in silence and act like you're broke. Buy you a 675 square foot apartment in Arizona off the grid somewhere and order stuff off Amazon occasionally. Any big purchases attract scrutiny and if one person can look at your information then it's possible for it to leak to the public. All the rich people I know live more frugal than me. They are strict fiscal conservatives that don't pay for pay per views.... They buy clothes at Way-Mart getting outfits for $30 during sales.

I wouldn't have told anyone, not even my parents. I would have just showed up to work and used my days off to start contacting the right institutions to formulate a plan before ultimately claiming the prize when everything was ready and then just ghosted.

Just stupid to claim it immediately. It puts a lot people around you at risk.

I wouldn't have told anyone, not even my parents. I would have just showed up to work and used my days off to start contacting the right institutions to formulate a plan before ultimately claiming the prize when everything was ready and then just ghosted.

Just stupid to claim it immediately. It puts a lot people around you at risk.
Yeah basically.

I mean, like the first day I would be checking my ticket probably every 10 minutes ensuring that I actually won.

Then I would take some pictures/video of the ticket and me just in case something were to happen and I could have proof I had it.

Then I'd drop that sucker in a safety deposit box and then start setting up all the legal stuff.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina allow winners to remain anonymous. Arizona lawmakers overwhelmingly approved a bill last year that shields lottery winners' identities for 90 days after they claim their prizes.

A growing number of other states, including Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont, will award prizes to a trust and allow a trustee — usually an attorney — to collect without disclosing the name of the ticket holder.

States including Illinois and Oregon have made exceptions to their policy of disclosure when winners demonstrate a high risk of harm.

Not sure why she didn't put it in a trust.

Link.

Not sure why she didn't put it in a trust.

She likely wasn't even aware of the possibilities. If you don't have that kind of money most of your life, you're not aware of that kind of stuff.

I'm with a small, regional bank, I wouldn't even know where to put that amount of money. However, I would've met with financial advisors to figure it out though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
She likely wasn't even aware of the possibilities. If you don't have that kind of money most of your life, you're not aware of that kind of stuff.

I'm with a small, regional bank, I wouldn't even know where to put that amount of money. However, I would've met with financial advisors to figure it out though.

I'm not aware of the possibilities either, and I'm sure that goes for a good portion of the thread, but the link I pulled up took two minutes of Googling.

I mean, I can only imagine the excitement she must be going through, but she should have taken a deep breathe and sought out advice.

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for NOT allowing someone to claim anonymously?

I guess to show everyone that the average joe/jane that won, could have been you?

Ryzaki009

The internet and google exist. When dealing with that kind of money you do not want to be ignorant. At the very least she could've went to lawyer who deals with large sums of money.

Top Bottom