• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

Someone won, so it resettled probably

Its 40 for Sats drawing since soneone won tonight

I think that's the jackpot for next week.

That's the new jackpot now that the $700m one was won. It always starts at $40m.

BTW, there was only 1 person in Massachusetts that got the jackpot in case anyone was wondering if there were multiple winners from the state.

THAT'S STILL ALOT

TIME TO BUY ALL THE FARM

Triz

bought three tickets to powerball and one to California regular Lotto.

Hit 3 numbers for $9 on the 7 million prize.

Hit 2 for $0 of the $700 on the powerball.

Ill stick to lower prize better odds.
not that Ill ever hit either

Been waiting for this moment for a while where I could implement the formula I have been working on for about 3 years now. I spent $3800 on tickets for this jackpot. I know I will make my money back and then some and using the formula have raised my odds greatly at winning the jackpot. Good luck, guys! 🕶
Update:

Won $522. Some may say I lost $3,278 but I don't see it that way. Was a good experience.

Seems I made a grave error with my formula but next time it should work better.

Mr Swine

Banned
Update:

Won $522. Some may say I lost $3,278 but I don't see it that way. Was a good experience.

Wtf, why would you spend so much money? Then again if you are rich then it's just a drop In a bucket

We had 4 tickets. One of them had 2/5 numbers with no powerball, and the other 3 tickets didn't have a single number or powerball. It was fun to join the festivities and hype, but it also reminded me how much I despise gambling.

sinkfla87

Update:

Hey man my fiance's car broke down and I'm getting a wisdom tooth removed in the morning, can I borrow about 5k since YOU'RE JUST GOING TO PISS IT DOWN THE TOILET ANYWAY? Thanks a bunch and PayPal works for me.

I don't understand why everyone always goes out to buy one when the jackpot is super high. As if the 50-100 million etc jackpot isn't enough to make it worth doing. The odds are the same

Ducarmel

Woke up today to find out if Im going to work this morning or telling my boss to f**k off.

I'm at work

Congrats to the winner

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why everyone always goes out to buy one when the jackpot is super high. As if the 50-100 million etc jackpot isn't enough to make it worth doing. The odds are the same

Because people are weird. It's like now suddenly the money is worth it, when before a few million they couldn't bother with. Also helps that they're constantly reminded of it when the jackpot gets so big so maybe it just commonly slips their mind until everyone starts mentioning the huge jackpot, as opposed to the typical smaller earnings.

Because it's fun when the stakes are so high and people are talking about it (not that smaller jackpots aren't high). And we all know buying lotto tickets regularly is pissing money away.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Because it isn't about winning, it is about thinking about winning. Thinking about winning is more entertaining when the jackpot is much higher than normal.

From a logical standpoint I might buy one lottery ticket a year, maybe one every two years. More fun doing it on a 700 million pool than a 40 million. If the odds are the same as you say then it would seem to make a lot of sense to roll those dice when the potential reward is highest.

gaiages

Banned
Hey man my fiance's car broke down and I'm getting a wisdom tooth removed in the morning, can I borrow about 5k since YOU'RE JUST GOING TO PISS IT DOWN THE TOILET ANYWAY? Thanks a bunch and PayPal works for me.

lol right? Just 1k would be a huge help criesofthepast ;p

It's fun and buying tickets regularly isn't really a good idea

Amory

Winner bought the ticket like 5 miles from where I bought mine

Somehow this makes me more jealous than i normally am

ringlord

The odds are the same, but since the payout changes, the value proposition of buying a ticket also changes. There's a mathematics paper out there somewhere that talks about it. Basically, as the jackpot increases there is an inflection point where it's not stupid to buy a ticket, mathematically speaking.

Friggz

the winning ticket was sold at the gas station id normally use had i not moved out of state a few weeks ago.

id prefer to not have any affiliation lol.

Well folks, it was fun to dream....for just a few moments. But to the winner of the jackpot I have some advice for you....run. Get the hell outta there and run!!!!

ag-my001

Because clearly everyone paid attention in stats class and realizes that when the jackpot is so high, your expected return on a $2 ticket is actually greater than $2.

gamz

Update:

You crack me up. Well worth the 10 bucks I spent for this post alone. Pulling for you buddy.

Haunted

Been waiting for this moment for a while where I could implement the formula I have been working on for about 3 years now. I spent $3800 on tickets for this jackpot. I know I will make my money back and then some and using the formula have raised my odds greatly at winning the jackpot. Good luck, guys! 🕶
Update:

tenor.gif

Top Bottom