• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

Sanojio

This woman is a fool. This fucking idiot didn't realize in MA it is legal to have a trust made to claim the ticket and make her the recipient. She is going to be a target for the rest of her life. She needed to get a lawyer or claim the ticket as anonymously as possible. It's always someone stupid that wins

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Why? Life is short

Id want that money in my bank account asap too

The last thing you want to do is tell EVERYONE. She did in less than a day lol.. She's going to get harassed into oblivion, not to mention that this exposes her to a lot more danger. She didn't prepare for jack squat.

Wait a bit, the money isn't going anywhere. Set a blind trust or something to try to stay anonymous and concoct a plan to get out of the region or something..

Most people don't think shit like this through. This was idiotic at minimum. Absolute stupidity

This woman is a fool. This fucking idiot didn't realize in MA it is legal to have a trust made to claim the ticket and make her the recipient. She is going to be a target for the rest of her life. She needed to get a lawyer or claim the ticket as anonymously as possible. It's always someone stupid that wins

Her name is out.

Too late for that shit now. Best thing she can do is go to Europe/Asia/Anywhere but the US and hide out for a year or so.

Sanojio

Her name is out.

Too late for that shit now. Best thing she can do is go to Europe/Asia/Anywhere but the US and hide out for a year or so.

The biggest individual non-genetic lottery winner in the history of the world who didn't even wait 10 hours to claim the money with that big shit eating grin on her face?

She's done bro.

I think Massachusetts forces you to release your name. Didn't know that about doing a trust instead. It's one thing I've always hated about the MA lottery, not that I play it, but as much as I'd like to win th lottery, I'd hate to be publicly known like that.

I don't blame her though... The people who buy lottery tickets regularly are typically not the people who know exactly how to handle it if you do win. I hope people just leave her alone, but obviously that won't happen.

Shadybiz

Oh...she came forward quickly. She'd better be thinking about moving somewhere remote at least...out of the country at best. But...I don't think she is.

Ryzaki009

The last thing you want to do is tell EVERYONE. She did in less than a day lol.. She's going to get harassed into oblivion, not to mention that this exposes her to a lot more danger. She didn't prepare for jack squat.

Wait a bit, the money isn't going anywhere. Set a blind trust or something to try to stay anonymous and concoct a plan to get out of the region or something..

Most people don't think shit like this through. This was idiotic at minimum. Absolute stupidity

Yep don't have you get like 6 months to claim it? If anything I'd waited at least 3. Let the heat simmer a bit. But nah she needed it now and played herself doing that.

So many people in here who seem to know exactly what to do upon winning hundreds of millions of dollars.
And not so much "knowing what to do," but thinking that someone is "an idiot" for not doing it their way.
Silly.

Ryzaki009

So many people in here who seem to know exactly what to do upon winning hundreds of millions of dollars.
And not so much "knowing what to do," but thinking that someone is "an idiot" for not doing it their way.
Silly.

When that way opens up her and her family to murder/kidnapping and ransom uh yes it is a pretty stupid thing to do. Like it's there's a well recorded history of just those things happening.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Silly.

I mean there's ample evidence of many lottery winners having their lives ruined for far far far smaller jackpots.

Whether they self destruct due to not being able to control their spending and new lifestyle to being driven insane by thousands of hangers on trying to get in on the action. From friends and family looking for gifts and loans to many more complete strangers looking for "investments" and assistance via stalking and serious invasions of privacy. As well as more than a few occasions of actual robbery, theft and murder.

At the very least she is not setting herself up for success. Maybe she'll be fine, but odds aren't with her this time.

Shadybiz

Silly.

The first thing you do is hire an attorney and a financial adviser. Full stop. It doesn't seem like that was done here (I COULD be wrong).

And this person had the option of having a trust claim it, which she didn't do.

So yes...she JUST MIGHT be an idiot.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yep don't have you get like 6 months to claim it? If anything I'd waited at least 3. Let the heat simmer a bit. But nah she needed it now and played herself doing that.

A year I believe for most lotteries.

Silly.

What she did was absolutely idiotic dude. Why in gods name are you claiming 2/3'rds of a billion in less than 12 hours before consulting with professionals first? She exposed anyone close to her to danger and herself, she had no plan basically. Even on the most basic level this was plain stupid. Information is power, don't hand it out lightly.

Not to mention the huge amount of other shit that she needed to get in order before claiming this. Shes like a wounded fish in a pond of pirahnnas now.

Silly.

There's already many articles posted here about how lotto winners of prizes of "only" $1 million are in very real danger of being exploited/outright murdered by friends and family. There is already articles posted here about how many lotto winner go bankrupt and what is the correct way to prepare once you win to mitigate all of this heartbreak.

Next time why don't you bother to actually go through the thread before you come in here and embarrass yourself like this.

When that way opens up her and her family to murder/kidnapping and ransom uh yes it is a pretty stupid thing to do. Like it's there's a well recorded history of just those things happening.

I mean there's ample evidence of many lottery winners having their lives ruined for far far far smaller jackpots.

So yes...she JUST MIGHT be an idiot.

And there are many times more examples of people winning and being perfectly fine.

What is it about lotteries that cause people to focus on small odds as if they're a likelihood?

Ryzaki009

And there are many times more examples of people winning and being perfectly fine.

What is it about lotteries that cause people to focus on small odds as if they're a likelihood?

1/3 chance of JUST going bankrupt is small odds? an increase in around 120x of being murdered is small odds?

lol she's done
Sisters which most likely are married with kids
Husbands that have family
Cousins
Cousins of her sisters husband

Neighbors , strangers , if she goes to a church or religion service

They all gonna ask for money

Lol asap collecting , don't you get like 30 days? I'd just wait

DJChuy

What if she's a decoy? Eh, who am I kidding?

She was probably overwhelmed and acted without thinking about it. Time for her to move and change identity.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Silly.

What a stupid hot take when there have been well reasoned arguments of what you are supposed to do if you are lucky enough to win the lottery jackpot. This lady has done the exact opposite of what is suggested.

I was just telling my mother last night about how to properly claim this shit vs the lifetime of head hunting you'd experience.

Also, I live about 5 miles from that Pride and used to get gas there regularly back in highschool. Damn.

Tagyhag

I hope she'll be OK. I'd be terrified if that was my mother.

I understand being excited, but that money is useless to you if you're dead.

tanooki27

What a stupid hot take when there have been well reasoned arguments of what you are supposed to do if you are lucky enough to win the lottery jackpot. This lady has done the exact opposite of what is suggested.

so let's heap criticism on her and feel better about our super smart selves. oh we're so smart we'd know just what to do. not like that person. oh no no

MIMIC

Banned
I watched her press conference and they asked her if she considered not coming forward this early and she said that she just wanted to "get it over with" so everyone would just leave her alone.

This may not end up like she wanted.

But it seems like the lottery commission provides them with resources on how to handle their new wealth, so....hopefully she listens.

so let's heap criticism on her and feel better about our super smart selves. oh we're so smart we'd know just what to do. not like that person. oh no no

That's not whats happening but if saying so makes you feel superior, by all means keep being a jackass.

I watched her press conference and they asked her if she considered not coming forward this early and she said that she just wanted to "get it over with" so everyone would just leave her alone.

But it seems like the lottery commission provides them with resources on how to handle their new wealth, so....hopefully she listens.

From my understanding they get them in contact with lawyers/financial advisers but none of it is mandatory. Its all up to her whether she hires any of them or not.

Tagyhag

Or people are legit worried about her?

Because there's factual evidence about what usually happens with lottery winners who aren't anonymous?

Ryzaki009

Oh god the cringe.

That dream was dead the second her friend saw her ticket.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
this lady was clueless the sole winner coming out without preparations

Exactly,

Gotta love the DENSE mofos arguing against a rational approach to this though, lol.. I don't fucking understand these people. It's like a race to the bottom is something to be proud of, gotta stand in AWE of these f'ing mavericks.

If she thinks coming out as the winner to get people off her back will happen.....Yeah she has no idea.

Ryzaki009

This public thing seems all kinds of crazy.

That's 6 months without 500 million in your pocket though.

Yeah.

This lady went 50+ years without that money. 6 months isn't that much (that said I wouldn't wait that long like 3.) She didn't even wait til she got her ducks in a row.

Yeah.

This lady went 50+ years without that money. 6 months isn't that much (that said I wouldn't wait that long like 3.) She didn't even wait til she got her ducks in a row.

She didn't had that money though. Now she knows she has it, as long as she claims it. Sounds herculean to simply wait.

Top Bottom