• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Interest increasing... but still exceedingly worried, especially when it comes to him talking about the last 8 minutes of the movie.

Every few months Ridley Scott switches his story on how much this has to do with Alien, which is worrying. At first it was downplayed totally, then he talked about how they had the same DNA and shared various connections, now he's saying there's not much at all, etc. I don't know what to believe.

What's Guy Pearce's role in this? He's got third billing. And it's interesting that Charlize Theron gets the "and" credit.

Man

What's Guy Pearce's role in this? He's got third billing. And it's interesting that Charlize Theron gets the "and" credit.
He has a small/tiny role apparantly. Not part of the actual crew it seems.

Noomi Rapace, Fassbender, Elba and Theron seem to be the biggest characters.

Jamesways

I'm so excited for this. And I'd be perfectly ok with it not having any aliens in it.
Giger is on board, think of all the other creepy biomechanical stuff he could create as far as the Space Jockey's world.

He has a small/tiny role apparantly. Not part of the actual crew it seems.

Noomi Rapace, Fassbender, Elba and Theron seem to be the biggest characters.
At Comic-Con, Scott listed Rapace, Theron, Fassbender, Logan Marshall-Green, and Guy Pearce as the "main players."
Actually, it doesn't sound like Giger had much hands-on involvement,
Really? Sounds like he's been busy:
Scott said:
We’ve had a pretty good relationship with Giger for many years. I was the first one to go see him in Switzerland, and persuade him to get on a plane. He wouldn’t get on a plane, because he was afraid of flying. And he finally came to Shepperton. He was with me for eleven months. Never went into town, stayed over a pub in Shepperton. Very non-Giger, not exotic. You’d think he’d be in a suite in a hotel. He’s in a pub. He was in a room over a pub, and he was very happy there. And yeah, I brought him in, I showed him what we were doing, showed him the story and he liked it a lot. So he’s doing a little bit of work for me. He’s been doing some murals, big murals, which we’ll see in almost one of the first chambers we encounter when we land where we’re gonna go.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Every few months Ridley Scott switches his story on how much this has to do with Alien, which is worrying.

I'd be willing to bet that the three major parties involved - Scott, Lindelof, and the studio - all wanted something different, and in typical fashion Scott probably buckled like a spineless fool and gave Fox the alien "hook" they were clamoring for.

While the casting is nice overall, I still believe this is a totally unnecessary movie and one that's ultimately been borne out of studio greed (duh) and Ridley's turkey of a directing career, mostly over the past decade or so. I'll still watch it because of the high regard I have for a couple of the movies in the Alien franchise, but my expectations are nearly flatlined.

Man

Since everything I've seen and heard is that she's the lead, right? I'm just continually perplexed by Hollywood contracts and how they handle credits. It's so often retarded.
Don't you just hate it when the actor names are reversed from the boxart characters?

ibztwSxCM5KNnK.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
...no, Noomi Rapace is the lead. We've known that for about a year now.

I guess I'm mistaken. I saw Weaver talking recently about how Theron was following in her footsteps. I've just had it in my mind that Theron was the lead.

I guess I'm mistaken. I saw Weaver talking recently about how Theron was following in her footsteps. I've just had it in my mind that Theron was the lead.
It's because every time "journalists" put up a Prometheus article, they see Theron's name and assume she is the lead. Noomi gets overlooked because her name is weird and foreign.

FoneBone

It's because every time "journalists" put up a Prometheus article, they see Theron's name and assume she is the lead. Noomi gets overlooked because her name is weird and foreign.

Yeah, I remember the interview Dan was talking about, and it was pretty clear that the interviewer was just making a false assumption.

Or maybe Theron survives till the end.

lol

Theron was fantastic in Young Adult. It wouldn't bother me if she was the lead.

I'm excited about this but I'm also very skeptical. I think it's going to be good and all, but I cannot shake the fact that it's probably going to be watered down compared to the other Alien films. For me it's like, either make a new gritty Alien film or go home. I didn't really want a "kind of" gritty sci-fi alien movie from Scott, but the real thing. I think it runs the risk of being too tame and over-produced.

That being said I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

FoneBone

I'm excited about this but I'm also very skeptical. I think it's going to be good and all, but I cannot shake the fact that it's probably going to be watered down compared to the other Alien films. For me it's like, either make a new gritty Alien film or go home. I didn't really want a "kind of" gritty sci-fi alien movie from Scott, but the real thing. I think it runs the risk of being too tame and over-produced.

That being said I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

My advice is to stop thinking of it as an Alien film per se... even though it is an Alien prequel, there're a lot of reasons why it's not being explicitly branded as such, from what I gather.

Is there a Youtube version of this second promo anywhere?
Here's one

Last night I rewatched Alien: Resurrection for the first time in about 10 years or so. My friends and I thought it was hilarious. Made Alien 3 look good by comparison, and Alien 3 was terrible.

My only worry is that it will hit too many of the same notes as Alien just Epic. Those previews have been astounding though. Everything looks good.

GhaleonEB

Those trailer previews got me absurdly hyped. Looks fantastic.

Appears a character in the first clip has acid spilled on the outside of their helmet.

Doomsayer

Last night I rewatched Alien: Resurrection for the first time in about 10 years or so. My friends and I thought it was hilarious. Made Alien 3 look good by comparison, and Alien 3 was terrible.

Resurrection was terrible, but fuck me if Alien and Aliens aren't incredible.

Prometheus looks great. Thursday please come soon.

Its so odd to see such an old guy not allow his age to take away his edge. That may be premature to say but from what I've read of Scott and the images/trailers he seems to have held on to what makes a good sci fi film.

Suck it, Spielberg and Lucas. Fuck your walkie talkies and Jar Jar Binks. This is entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom