• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
I'm glad someone agrees. It's pointless and cheapens the film a bit. It seems so Syfy.

I don't like taglines in general. They always seem forced. When you think about it, "In space, nobody can hear you scream" doesn't really describe Alien either. As one of the first space-horror films, though, it's a classic line.

Stet

Banned
I thought that was intentional, in that the poster egg is a mix of an egg and the cratered surface of LV-426 rather than an exact copy of the egg design in the film.

Wikipedia cites Beautiful Monsters: The Unofficial and Unauthorized Guide to the Alien and Predator Films and says that the hen's egg on the poster was used in test footage and that's why it's in the teaser. That's the only thing I have to base that on though.

@latinoreview:

I just wet my pants twice, saw The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus trailers. NON Bootleg. Fucking Awesome. Can't wait for it to go online. I won't be posting it online. But they will go online soon. I know Prometheus will go on Apple. Heard mid next week.

Tedesco!

I don't like taglines in general. They always seem forced. When you think about it, "In space, nobody can hear you scream" doesn't really describe Alien either. As one of the first space-horror films, though, it's a classic line.

What makes this tagline pointless is that we know (more or less) that this already fits into an established time line. There is no suspense; there is no point for the tagline.

I don't like taglines in general. They always seem forced.

The worst offender ever:

images

From the book Mike Nelson's Mega Movie Cheese, the best essay ever on stupid movie poster taglines and a hilarious put down of Volcano in general:

I hate to start this thing by nitpicking, believe me, but the movie really should have been called Lava, not Volcano. The film, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche, really was long on lava and, as far as I could tell, had only one small—quite small, really—volcano. And, despite all the hype, the coast was not, at any time during the film, toast. The coastal city of Los Angeles, California, was indeed in no small danger of being incinerated by flowing magma, but the situation was competently handled by disaster workers, and only the most pessimistic naysayer would describe the situation by saying, rather unhelpfully, “The coast is toast.”

You may accuse me of being rather picayune, but when a film endlessly hypes—on television, radio, the sides of buses, billboards, drink mugs, cheese-erito wrappers, Fruit Roll-Up packages, the underside of dirigibles, and family-size toilet tissue packs—that ‘The Coast Is Toast!,” I expect to see the entire coast—say, from Long Beach to Oakland—and every one of its millions of inhabitants incinerated into unrecognizable char. Do not misunderstand me. I don’t actually have a desire to see that; I just want my expectations managed with more integrity.

In the first act of Volcano: The Film That Shamefully Misrepresents Its Content, we learn that Stan Olber, head of the Metropolitan Transit Authority, and Mike Roark (Tommy Lee Jones), head of the Office of Emergency Management, have trouble cooperating when their respective jurisdictions overlap. If that plotline doesn’t get your blood boiling, then perhaps the story of the seismologist who is reluctant to be interviewed on camera will. I understand they cut the scene in which the City Registrar collated taxpayer information because it was too graphic.

Things pick up when seven transit workers are burned to death right near the La Brea Tar Pits. Actually anyone who’s been talked into driving more than a mile to see the La Brea Tar Pits has indeed been burned, badly. There’s not much to see, and parking is hardly convenient. Anyway, seismologist Dr. Amy Barnes (Anne Heche) is brought in to investigate the incident, and she soon warns the shar-pei-faced Tommy Lee that the titular volcano may be forming under their feet. Then the movie pretty much follows the plot of Earthquake (in Sensurround), and you half-expect to see George Kennedy yelling at Lloyd Nolan, or Richard Roundtree hanging with Marjoe Gortner.

There’s some good special effects as the lava flows down Wilshire Boulevard, burning up all the Koo Koo Roo’s, Carl’s Jr., In and Out Burgers, Jack in the Box, El Polio Loco, and all those other chain restaurants with the incredibly stupid names that L.A. seems to love so much.

And just what does Carl’s Jr. mean? Carl’s Junior.. . what? Carl’s burger is junior? Or is it referring to persons younger than Carl? If Carl’s restaurant is junior, then there’d need to be a larger restaurant named “Carl’s Sr.” to put it in the proper context, and there is no “Carl’s Sr.” Again, nitpicking, perhaps, but you just can’t go around naming things nonsensically and expecting everyone to buy into it. If I named my store “Clean White Cotton Underpants,” and then you came in and discovered I sold nothing but custom kitchen cabinets, you’d be upset, and you’d have every right to be! Or if I called my restaurant “Phil’s Double,” and then just left it at that, with no explanation, I’d be hurting a lot of people. That’s how I feel about “Carl’s Jr.” I’m hurt and angry.

As for Volcano, I was neither hurt nor angered by it. I liked it. Perhaps I was drunk on nitrates from all the luncheon meat I had had that day, or perhaps the botanicals in my wife’s hair products that I accidentally used made me susceptible to corny scripts, but I found it pretty entertaining. It was kind of like an old war movie—really corn ball, but with a heart. It’s not my favorite movie ever (that would be Heartbeeps), but it’s a decent stupid disaster movie delivery system.

My fear is that its success will lead to more films with clever tag lines, like, say, for a film about a rocket aimed at a town in New York called Buffalo Shot, the tag line would be, “Watch Upstate Go Down.” Hmmm, that’s not very good. Okay, the movie depicts a horrible avalanche in Denver. It’s called Snowball’s Chance, and the line reads, “Colorado, Rocky Mountain DIE.” Ew. That’s terrible. Try a film about a paramilitary group taking over a Missouri landmark called Arch Nemeses. The poster would read, “St. Louie Is Kablooie.”

Oh, I like that. I’ve got to call Casey at Universal and get this baby on the fast track.

As for Irwin Allen disaster flicks, find out what happened when time ran out for the deadly swarm of bees

zHt0O.jpg

Empire article via AVPGalaxy:
"He was marvelous, but he's cooked," laughs 74 year old Ridley Scott of the Nostromo's unforgettable chestbursting stowaway. "He's now got an orange in his mouth." What Alien's famous director wants to make clear, as post production on his much-vaunted $100 million, 3D return to the science-fiction genre, draws close, is that he has gone back to the universe of his groundbreaking classic, but he's also moved on. "I felt there was still life in the old sod, but it has evolved into something else. To stick to the story, you don't really get it until about eight minutes from the end." Deep down in its scaly heart, Prometheus is an Alien prequel, but not as we know it.

It certainly embraces the Alien aesthetic; that biomechanoid phantasmagoria born of H.R. Gigers pervy art and his director's unerring eye. "It does," agrees Scott "but it's also different..." This is as much a matter of scope as anything. With a much bigger budget, Scott has been utlising all the tools available to him: high-end digital effects ("Avatar set the bar high"), filming in 3D ("You engage more, you're drawn in") and building massive Giger-esque sets across Pinewood that oozed the atmosphere that defined his career ("I still believe in putting in the proscenium")

The cast went giddy at the belly-of-the-beast effect of the giant sets. If Alien was a souped-up B-Movie, then Prometheus is a biblical epic. "Alien felt epic," says Scott "but this one is epic."

Barring a beach scene in the long cut of Alien 3, the new film will feature the franchise's first genuine exterior, with Iceland's black lava fields providing the new planet's hardscrabble surface (LV-426 was created on a soundstage). Thematically, too, it's gone big. This is God versus Science, and the survival of not just the crew (most of whom probably don't) but mankind itself. In other words, there is a whole 2001-vibe going on. "It's gone off in a new direction," boasts Scott "but I promise it will engage you in the first five minutes."

The script, written by Jon Spaihts and Lost's Damon Lindelof, based on "one single thought" Scott drew from the original, initially follows a familiar arc. The crew of the Prometheus (the ship's name designed to echo the Greek myth) follow a perplexing message to a planet that will open their eyes and their chests to a new alien race. "A crew of scientists embark on a journey somebody else is paying for," says the director, referring to the fact Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers is a "suit" for a certain Weyland-Yutani. Meanwhile, Michael Fassbender may or may not be an early model of Ash's android and may or may not be trustworthy. And Noomi Rapace's archaeologist heroine, Elizabeth Shaw - a spiritual cousin to "Rippers" - is one half of a conflicted couple of Logan Marshall-Green's Holloway: "One comes from a position of faith, and the other is pure scientist," details Scott. Both are going to have a lot to swallow.

Even at the time of Alien, some 32 years ago, Scott mentioned he was interested in exploring the origins of the 'Space Jockey', the dead pilot of the derelict "space croissant". He talked about bioengineering and biological warfare as potential themes. Has he been able to satisfy his curiosity in that respect? "Definitely."And what significance can we draw from the pictures slowly being released, especially the giant humanoid 'head' that looms over what Scott terms the "ampule chamber"? "Oh there's a lot more to it," he says wafting explanations away, "I've locked up all the sweet stuff..." Including something familiar, perhaps?

AniHawk

i think it works best in this trailer. the way the sound builds until it reaches that cacophony and then quickly silences itself with a small echo (and against a fixed shot of space after so many quick edits) makes the tagline have a lot more impact.

UrbanRats

The more I think about it, I am certain my prediction is correct.
The aliens came first; we were designed as mobile incubators for them.
Don't know much about Alien's lore, but
aren't the aliens relatively dumb? I mean use an intellectually superior species, to harvest a dumber one? Unless the Aliens in the movie are just like dogs for them(who?),
i don't remember shit.

aren't the aliens relatively dumb? I mean use an intellectually superior species, to harvest a dumber one? Unless the Aliens in the movie are just like dogs for them(who?),
i don't remember shit.

We weren't always intellectually superior. Certainly not when the Space Jockeys would have created us.

alphaNoid

Banned
i don't remember shit.

They behave like an ant hive.

i don't remember shit.

In Alien, the alien was imbued with a sense of personality from it's host. Not sure if this is true, but I read that John Hurt's character was supposed to be attracted to Lambert (Veronica Cartwright), so the alien itself was attracted to her, which led to her (implied) rapedeath.

Doesn't necessarily mean they're intelligent per se, but I wouldn't call them mindless monsters, either. Even in Aliens, when they basically become mindless monsters, they show the ability to adapt.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This is what you bumped the thread to say? Almost as if reading aloud people's thoughts upon encountering your bump.
this was bumped in my subscriptions. so i was reacting to the bump which made me think it was a trailer bump.
*inceptiondog.gif*

zHt0O.jpg

Empire article via AVPGalaxy:
That sounds too good to be true. Please let it be true. I need a good sci-fi movie again since Moon. (I haven't followed the underground scene if there are other good sci-fi movies) On the other hand if Prometheus turns out to be good, I'll have hopes for the unneeded Blade Runner sequel/prequel.

Melchiah

It certainly embraces the Alien aesthetic; that biomechanoid phantasmagoria born of H.R. Gigers pervy art and his director's unerring eye. "It does," agrees Scott "but it's also different..." This is as much a matter of scope as anything. With a much bigger budget, Scott has been utlising all the tools available to him: high-end digital effects ("Avatar set the bar high"), filming in 3D ("You engage more, you're drawn in") and building massive Giger-esque sets across Pinewood that oozed the atmosphere that defined his career ("I still believe in putting in the proscenium")

I'm starting to lose my faith in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom