• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.O.O.

I actually kinda liked it too, but I was too afraid to come out of the closet :p
...and I must be the only person I know that actually likes Resurrection. Beyond Joss' pretty terrible script, I think Juenet made a very visually attractive film (as always) and Ron Perlman is great.

Sure, next to ALIEN and ALIENS (and even Fincher's DC of Alien3), it's the unwanted red-headed stepchild... but as its own little bizarre side-story I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D

...oh... and Michael Wincott has an actual good guy (well, relatively) was a nice change of pace.
You're not alone.

I even remember more about Resurrection than I do about Aliens...

zoukka

Why would there be scaled up digital paintings in set photos? All those photos are taken by a set photographer for behind the scenes publicity. The face is really there on the stage.

The face is a lot bigger in the more clear shot than the other one. It's clearly a composition and not not some random set photo.

But now that you guys enlightened me, I can definately see the face being built in the smaller shot. It's just not that impressive in it anymore :b

aerts1js

The face is a lot bigger in the more clear shot than the other one. It's clearly a composition and not not some random set photo.

But now that you guys enlightened me, I can definately see the face being built in the smaller shot. It's just not that impressive in it anymore :b

To each their own, I personally like the look of the face. Very atmospheric and creepy.

It's not dirty enough. Characters and environments look like they're just out of shrinkwrap.

maybe they are?

Like others have pointed out, this might be a very expensive expedition (in the context of the film's world) and everything is new and shiny. This team seems very science-specific.

With Alien, Scott, O'Bannon, and Co. wanted to design a very 'lived in' futuristic world and the crew of the Nostromo were like 'space truckers'- a working class salvage team involving shipmates with various checkered spots on their resume ( Kane, for example, was written as a super-achiever, and had a drug habit that required a great deal of rehab prior to being assigned to the USS Nostromo).

Tom Rothman cries like a girl about the trailer which leaked due to the fact that he's a crappy executive and whines incessantly about the poor quality of a short video clip which should've already been released weeks ago anyways by his own company, one of the most loathsomely stupid and incompetent entertainment/media conglomerates in the world. Oh and more incredibly annoying anti hype attempts late in the game about the "It isn't Alien but it sorta kinda is in an intangibly nebulous kinda way" stuff. We get it, the story and movie are meant to stand on their own, but enough already!!!!!

http://i.reelz.com/movie-news/12479/prometheus-trailer-leak-upsets-fox-chairman-tom-rothman/

Prometheus Trailer Leak Upsets Fox Chairman Tom Rothman
Posted 12/1/2011 by Ryan

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, a bootleg version of the trailer for director Ridley Scott's Prometheus was leaked online just as Twentieth Century Fox had released some new images and details about the upcoming sci-fi movie.
While bootlegs usually want for quality, the Prometheus trailer was beyond poor, shot, presumably by the uploader, right off a TV screen with the perpetrator's image often reflecting off the screen. Fox eventually worked to remove the bootlegged trailer, but the damage was already done according to Fox chairman and CEO Tom Rothman. He called the leak "heartbreakingly unfair" when he talked to MTV at the Gotham Independent Film Awards.
It's not fair. It's heartbreakingly unfair, because Ridley Scott, in addition to everything else ... the quality of the visuals is as spectacularly beautiful, shot in 3-D compositionally the way only a master could do it. For some early, early, early, early half-baked, half-assed test to leak, it's so unfair. I will promise you this: When that material is ready and it comes out, you should go see it in 3-D on a screen. It will deliver.
Rothman also insisted that Prometheus is not a prequel to Scott's 1979 sci-fi classic Alien, as is rumored. Initially set as a prequel to Alien, it was the arrival of screenwriter Damon Lindelof (Lost, Cowboys and Aliens) and his subsequent reworking of Jon Spaihts's script that made Scott re-title the movie Prometheus, revealing that the movie would feature "a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place," that would only have "strands of Alien's DNA". Scott recently downgraded those "strands" to a "vague notion" of some "slight Alien DNA" while Lindelof revealed in June that Prometheus would "take place in that Alien universe" but would precede the original movie and wouldn't be "burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff."
Kinda sounds like a prequel to us, but Rothman insists it isn't. "Hand to heart," Rothman said.
I will tell you, here's the way to think about it. If you looked at the whole movie, 95 percent of it is entirely unto itself. Ridley said it right: If you're a fan and you look closely, you'll spot strands of the DNA — I mean that metaphorically. [But] I'll tell you the great thing: It's way bigger than that. The ideas are way bigger, way more original and — it's a scary word — way more profound.

After seeing the tweaked pic it totally looks like a giant dead body with legs in the lower right corner. Maybe the round thing they're examining is its head?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I agree. They pull it off the internet and don't provide a finished trailer soon after ( which they should have done if the quality of the film really meant anything to them). Ridiculous.
Reminds me of that time with Louis CK on Conan. The famous 'everything is amazing and nobody's happy' joke. Which was taken off of the internet even though it would have created more exposure for Conan.
It's as if the internet is still unfamiliar territory to some of these folks.

I agree. They pull it off the internet and don't provide a finished trailer soon after ( which they should have done if the quality of the film really meant anything to them). Ridiculous.
Reminds me of that time with Louis CK on Conan. The famous 'everything is amazing and nobody's happy' joke. Which was taken off of the internet even though it would have created more exposure for Conan.
It's as if the internet is still unfamiliar territory to some of these folks.

^^^^^

Do you have a link to that Louis CK/Conan bit, I'd like to see that.

Post 999, just like the ten year anniversary of the Dreamcast launch, ooohhhh yeah.

If only they just put a short teaser up to combat against the leak and release the real trailer in the manner already planned. Everyone would be happy!

gabbo

So this has nothing to do with Alien?

Wow.. hype diminishing.

Yes, but not the actual film 'Alien'.
Ripley isn't alive (hell her parent's probably aren't either at this point), and while it's not confirmed, you have to imagine the xenomorph will show up.
Same universe, different story.

Is this the proper thread to post theories about the plot in?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ahhh, so it's just the universe then and there will be only a loose connection to xenomorphs.

all right then, if it is not a survival movie like Alien 1-4 they can do whatever they want to do.

Zeliard

Seems very much like an Alien movie, with the 'aliens' in question this time appearing to be largely (and large) Space Jockeys rather than Xenomorphs.

Morn

Banned
Seems very much like an Alien movie, with the 'aliens' in question this time appearing to be largely (and large) Space Jockeys rather than Xenomorphs.

Space Jockeys are pretty much confirmed from the images released, and people who spied on the filming did see people in
alien costumes
eating lunch.

And there's this which discussing how the Aliens may appear in the movie:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/24/prometheus-rumours-unbound-how-the-alien-aliens-factor-in/

Also the "not a prequel" thing is as bad as Fox denying the plot details right before releasing their own synopsis that confirmed the basic story. And if you watched the leaked trailer, there was something major from the first Alien movie at the end of it.

Morn

Banned
Yup just watched the leaked trailer and anyone who has seen Alien and sees this will think they're connected due to that ship at the end.

Yup just watched the leaked trailer and anyone who has seen Alien and sees this will think they're connected due to that ship at the end.

Good eye but that's nothin.' Everyone here needs to rewatch the trailer and get ready to pause at 38-39 seconds, you can totally see the Space Jockey raising up in it's chair onto the platform from the first movie!

nomis

pause at 38-39 seconds, you can totally see the Space Jockey raising up in it's chair onto the platform from the first movie!

iJLqxeLV3MLRj.gif

I think the clean look of the suits has a lot to do with the fact that this is a science vessel and not mining/engineering/military. At least that's what I figure.

Not that I doubt any of you guys but I'm having a hard time seeing it because of the quality. :(

Yeah, I cant really see it.. =/

However, I also dont doubt it. This film clearly has more to do with Alien than we were let on, I just think they didn't want to be stuck with the term "prequel".

Isn't that also a stomach about to pop at 0:38? Looks like a body on a hospital gurney.

Yeppers, happens right after the chair shot.

Yeah, I cant really see it.. =/

It's definitely there. If you're expecting to catch a Spacejockey face/head you won't see it. Focus on looking for the outline of the famous chair and its platform. It's right before the stomach burst tease shot that Genesis Knight just mentioned. You just gotta play with the pause button a bit. It'll be interesting to see how much clearer it looks in the official trailer.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Melchiah

Prometheus Trailer Leak Upsets Fox Chairman Tom Rothman
Posted 12/1/2011 by Ryan

...the quality of the visuals is as spectacularly beautiful, shot in 3-D compositionally the way only a master could do it. For some early, early, early, early half-baked, half-assed test to leak, it's so unfair. I will promise you this: When that material is ready and it comes out, you should go see it in 3-D on a screen. It will deliver....

Yeah right. Spoken like a true car salesman. I think I'll stick with regular 2D edition, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom