• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how many years before the first Alien movie does this take place? Considering the space jockey had decayed and grafted itself to the seat, are we talking 100s here?

The reason the space jockey was grafted to the seat like that could have to do with what the aliens did to the environment.

Stet

Banned
The reason the space jockey was grafted to the seat like that could have to do with what the aliens did to the environment.

Or who knows, the Space Jockey could be a part of the ship in general. Maybe they surgically implant their pilots into their ships for some reason. After all, they're a l i e n s!!!

Or who knows, the Space Jockey could be a part of the ship in general. Maybe they surgically implant their pilots into their ships for some reason. After all, they're a l i e n s!!!

Pretty much. That's the exciting thing about this project. They can play around with the mythology behind that single scene as much as they like.

Daft_Cat

Wow, Lindelof hate ITT? Especially compared to Kurtzman and Orci?

If the latter two were writing Prometheus, I'd have practically no hope. I'm fairly certain that whenever they put out something good (Star Trek), it's either thanks to uncredited rewrites or the balancing out of other talent (Abrams, for example).

They remind me of those two fucks that write the Pirates movies. Blargh.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Face reminds me of Universal FRANKENSTEIN.

Well the title of the Mary Shelley novel is actually "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus".

I doubt they will tread too heavily into Frankenstein territory here though and stick more with mythological parallels. I think Alien Resurrection was the Frankenstein for the series already.

Part of why I like the Alien series even if individual movies are disappointing. each film basically inhabits its own sub genre

Alien = thriller
Aliens = war film / action
Alien3 = prison drama
Alien Resurrection = Frankenstein / horror

EDIT:
Prometheus = Epic (in the Odyssey-an sense)

Man

promotheus_3-620x394.jpg

Ridley is looking terrific for a 74 year old.

Mdk7

Well the title of the Mary Shelley novel is actually "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus".

I doubt they will tread too heavily into Frankenstein territory here though and stick more with mythological parallels. I think Alien Resurrection was the Frankenstein for the series already.

Part of why I like the Alien series even if individual movies are disappointing. each film basically inhabits its own sub genre

Alien = thriller
Alien3 = prison drama
Alien Resurrection = Scat

EDIT:
fixed for truth.

Wow, Lindelof hate ITT? Especially compared to Kurtzman and Orci?

If the latter two were writing Prometheus, I'd have practically no hope. I'm fairly certain that whenever they put out something good (Star Trek), it's either thanks to uncredited rewrites or the balancing out of other talent (Abrams, for example).

They remind me of those two fucks that write the Pirates movies. Blargh.

I just don't feel the love that many have for him. Thought LOST became Lost the longer it went on. Sure he won't have that problem for a movie, but I don't know... his work on Cowboys and Aliens wasn't very good (source material is rather hit and miss).

I didn't/don't like Joss Whedon either.

Tom_Cody

Much higher quality versions of the promo pics are circulating around online, but I don't have time to post them right now.

rpg_poser

I hope for the best... but if I were to nitpick, it seems like SF visual styles are being mixed. I see a little classic gritty Alien, Forbidden Planet, newer Star Trek and even some Space 1999 (Looks at the shot with Theron with those control panel lights and door behind her). These things aren't bad, I just don't know how well they go together. Oh well, wait and see.

gabbo

Prometheus as backdoor pilot for a new Farscape?

FWIW, the Alien Anthology is on sale for about $40 at Amazon.

Thank you for that!
Ordered. Fantastic price. :0

...and I must be the only person I know that actually likes Resurrection. Beyond Joss' pretty terrible script, I think Juenet made a very visually attractive film (as always) and Ron Perlman is great.

Sure, next to ALIEN and ALIENS (and even Fincher's DC of Alien3), it's the unwanted red-headed stepchild... but as its own little bizarre side-story I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D

...oh... and Michael Wincott has an actual good guy (well, relatively) was a nice change of pace.

Puddles

Banned
That's really no excuse. What about the company man Burke in Aliens, or the marines? They didn't wear anything similar to this mass effect-looking stupid-ass pseudo-armor.

It's kind of a trade-off. On the one hand, Mass Effect armor, but on the other hand, no 80s hair.

I'll take it, because seriously, fuck 80s hair.

I'm excited for Prometheus, but I'm a bit confused on one thing. Is this a direct prequel for Alien? Or is it just in the space horror genre and it's its own thing?

zeioIIDX

Man, just checked the UK amazon, and its £14 for the Anthology on Blu-Ray. UNREAL.

Hell yeah! Ordered it hastily...only to find out that one of the maintenance guys in my apartment complex possibly stole my PS3 while I had it hidden from my wife in a closet (she became an addict with Black Ops...)

rbenchley

I'm excited for Prometheus, but I'm a bit confused on one thing. Is this a direct prequel for Alien? Or is it just in the space horror genre and it's its own thing?

As far as we know, the story is set in the same universe and will have many of the same elements (Spacy Jockeys, Weyland-Yutani Corporation), but it isn't supposed to lead directly into Ripley's story. Same stage, different characters.

Chuckie

Thank you for that!
Ordered. Fantastic price. :0

...and I must be the only person I know that actually likes Resurrection. Beyond Joss' pretty terrible script, I think Juenet made a very visually attractive film (as always) and Ron Perlman is great.

Sure, next to ALIEN and ALIENS (and even Fincher's DC of Alien3), it's the unwanted red-headed stepchild... but as its own little bizarre side-story I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D

...oh... and Michael Wincott has an actual good guy (well, relatively) was a nice change of pace.

I actually kinda liked it too, but I was too afraid to come out of the closet :p

I'm hoping to get the Anthology this christmas. It has been ages since I've seen Alien and Aliens

zoukka

The face looks stupid because there's nothing interesting about the sculpture itself and the fact that the execution just looks cheap.

Snake

Their suits make them look like they're the Fantastic Four. Especially Charlize.

I've been thinking about the Alien series a lot recently, so my hype for this is starting to rise. Sad that I missed the leaked trailer before it got taken down, but it can't be long til the real deal I guess.

Truant

At first I kinda thought that there would be one room for each of the races that the Space Jockeys have created or collected, but the face seems very "specific".

zoukka

I don't think it looks cheap. Will wait and see exactly what it is they're exploring.

There really isn't any illusion of a really big statue there for me. Maybe it's my golden eyes, but it looks like the scaled up digital painting/model that it is. But I can't expect people making giant props like the original space jockey anymore can I?

Alien = thriller
Alien3 = prison drama
Alien Resurrection = Frankenstein / horror

EDIT:

I don't mean to be rude, but yes, I read books. :p

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
There really isn't any illusion of a really big statue there for me. Maybe it's my golden eyes, but it looks like the scaled up digital painting/model that it is. But I can't expect people making giant props like the original space jockey anymore can I?

I thought the sets and props were all real? (as in, no CG)

Big Chungus

I've only watched a few of the aliens movies...can someone explain to me:

What does a true xenomorph look like? I've only seen facehuggers and the xenomorph hybrids that come from facehuggers.

duckroll

Why would there be scaled up digital paintings in set photos? All those photos are taken by a set photographer for behind the scenes publicity. The face is really there on the stage.

rbenchley

I thought the sets and props were all real? (as in, no CG)

I'm sure there will be some use of CGI, but the majority of the movie will use practical effects as Ridley prefers them to CGI. His rule is that if it can be done without CGI, it probably should be. They recreated the Space Jockey's chair for the movie and it appears to be similar in size to the original one, although the pictures I've seen online make it hard to judge the scale. As for the giant head, my bet is that is not CGI. The rest of the chamber was built, I don't see why they would green screen the head in unless it does something that you couldn't do with practical effects.

I doubt they'd spend all that money to build something that size unless it features prominently in the story. Or they found a 10 story building to shoot inside of and build a set on the cheap.

Any idea when the trailer is going to hit? I've been holding off on watching the crappy leaked footage, but the wait's getting hard :/

It's kind of a trade-off. On the one hand, Mass Effect armor, but on the other hand, no 80s hair.

I'll take it, because seriously, fuck 80s hair.

nah. Riggs' sex-mullet > modern action hero buzz cuts

e: out of everything shown so far, Fassbender is the only one lending himself to the whole retro look. The suits look crap but Fassbender looks like he's channeling old school Charlton Heston. Awesome.

Truant

Regarding the PG13/R debate; AVPR was a hard R, and was produced by the same company that did the first films, with Fox distributing the final film. How is the setup with Prometheus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom