• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Games For December (Kings Quest, Gauntlet, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, SSX)

Cleve

I'm looking forward to kings quest. It's the first non-launch ps+ game in a while that I didn't already own.

I'm a huge fan of the series, I was waiting for a retail box, but it'll be nice to try the first episode.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They should just get rid of those "games" and say it is exclusively for online gaming, that way we wont get disappointed every month, at least until PSN is down again.
Bollocks
(Today, 01:57 PM)

It's a $10 game that got good reviews and lasts around 5 hours with some replay value in a genre with games that usually aren't much longer than that, but yeah, totally deserves to be counted as 1/5th of a game just because they decided to call the series episodic rather than do sequels. We would all be much better served with yet another $20 indie game with mediocre review scores.
Yeah it seems people are assuming a lot of things due to the fact that it's called "episode 1"...

Drayco21

Underwhelming PS3 and PS4 month. Again.

Month's redeemed by having an actually worthwhile Vita game for the first time in what feels like forever.

natertots

Darn. Personally the PS4 offerings do not interest me that much. Gauntlet could be cool with a group, so I will probably give that a go. The Vita stuff interests me more, though. Maybe I should just pick one up on Friday, remote play with PS4 would be cool too.

are people gonna be angry or happy once they start giving us emulated ps2 games? lol

We kind of have to wait and see the quality of the PS2 games sony can get first.

PS1 and PS2 classics though PSN last gen was real rough for a lot of the time. PS4-PS2 BC could just be licensed trash

hawk2025

are people gonna be angry or happy once they start giving us emulated ps2 games? lol

Quite happy over here, if they curate the selections properly: Stuff like Frequency, Maximo, Parappa The Rapper 2, Gitaroo Man, Twisted Metal Black, etc. The best of the bunch for PS2 games.

Perhaps 2 PS2-BC games a month can substitute the PS3 offerings that should be phased out soon IMO.

mekes

Darn. Personally the PS4 offerings do not interest me that much. Gauntlet could be cool with a group, so I will probably give that a go. The Vita stuff interests me more, though. Maybe I should just pick one up on Friday, remote play with PS4 would be cool too.

Its not an all the time system for me, much like the WiiU. But if you can accept that, there's a lot of fun to be had at opportune moments and its worth the purchase. Perhaps the best time of year to jump in, I haven't regretted it at all the past few years.

Yeah it seems people are assuming a lot of things due to the fact that it's called "episode 1"...

Looking at HowLongToBeat:
Ground Zero = 1.5 hours
The Walking Dead S2e1 = 1.5 hours
Minecraft Story Mode ep1 = 1.5-2 hours
The Wolf Among Us ep1 = 2 hours
Life is Strange ep1 = 2.5-3.5 hours
King's Quest Chapter 1 = 5 hours

The game's sitting on a 93% positive user rating on Steam, has nice cel-shaded visuals, voice acting from Christopher Lloyd, and is about 2-3 times as long as most prequel/episode 1 games, so it saddens me to see such a knee-jerk negative reaction to its inclusion in PS+. It'd be like if Sony gave everybody a free copy of The Fellowship of the Ring and everyone started complaining because they didn't give away the whole series.

hawk2025

Ground Zero = 1.5 hours

The game's sitting on a 93% positive user rating on Steam, has nice cel-shaded visuals, voice acting from Christopher Lloyd, and is about 2-3 times as long as most prequel/episode 1 games, so it saddens me to see such a knee-jerk negative reaction to its inclusion in PS+.

I admit my first reaction of it was pretty negative because I just plain hadn't followed the release of King's Quest and assumed it was following in line with other episodic games. I fell into the trap that I've rallied against multiple times over the past year of knee-jerking without even actually seeing what we are getting is all about. Shame!

Reading more on it, though, you are right -- I think this might be an interesting offer after all. I'll certainly give it a fair shake. It seems unique within the realm of episodic adventure games, too, which is a nice bonus.

Ground Zero = 1.5 hours

This is a wonky way to look at things, November gave us Mass Effect 2 which lasts 20-30 hours, is everything else not 20-30 hours long bad in comparison?

They gave us 100% of Walking Dead S2, 20% of King's Quest. Mass Effect 2 would have been bad if they gave us only 20% of it, even if it is 4-6 hours..

wouwie

I would have been super happy with King's Quest. I played it already and was surprised how good it actually is. I loved it and bought the season pass. I can't wait for chapter 2 (which is still on target for end of this year apparently). It looks beautiful, has an awesome soundtrack, great voice acting and animation, fun(ny) gameplay and a solid length. It definately deserves to be tried out by many people and i think it's a great idea to include it in PS+.

hawk2025

This is a wonky way to look at things, November gave us Mass Effect 2 which lasts 20-30 hours, is everything else not 20-30 hours long bad in comparison?

They gave us 100% of Walking Dead S2, 20% of King's Quest. Mass Effect 2 would have been bad if they gave us only 20% of it, even if it is 4-6 hours..

It's not wonky at all, since it's being compared to other episodic games.

By your logic, we could have said they only gave us Mass Effect 2, which is 33% of the Mass Effect trilogy.

It's just wording for how the games are structured and developed. King's Quest appears to have a more thorough and long approach to each episode than the standard Telltale game. Now, it doesn't mean that giving Episode 1 by itself is a great idea (I'll hold judging that until I play it myself), but I think it's a distinction worth pointing out. The first reaction to seeing "Adventure Game: Episode 1" is to expect 1.5-2 hours of game. He's just saying that this is not the case here. The comparison isn't about the game length itself, but the expectations that are formed by offering only episode 1.

Walking Dead 2 was also nearly 2 years old when they gave it away. King's Quest only came out a few months ago and they're giving away 100% of the game that has been released so far. And as far as content goes, it's equivalent to about 2.5-3 Walking Dead episodes put together. Anyway, the point is that King's Quest has been very different than other episodic game series so far.

It just boggles my mind that there are people outraged about getting a quality game in King's Quest just because it's episodic, but hardly anyone is complaining about getting Gauntlet. Seriously, if you want a free dungeon crawler Action/RPG, go play the fantastic Path of Exile instead.

As for King's Quest it would be difficult to get it free as it's 31,99....
So they give us episode 1 free + option to buy season pass for 23,99.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
What sucks is that even though FC3:BD is a good game, it's been under $4 on Steam before.. not sure lowest on console.. and Freedom Wars has been less than $5 before.. on a Flash Sale... and you could pick it up new on card for $10 or less multiple times this year.

If anyone really truly wanted those games, they'd already own them.

So we are left to a mediocre game in Gauntlet and basically a fucking demo with KQ.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I hope the first ps2 emulated game given by PS+ is Devil May Cry 2.

Best DMC game.
jk
Be fun just to see more meltdowns.

We kind of have to wait and see the quality of the PS2 games sony can get first.

PS1 and PS2 classics though PSN last gen was real rough for a lot of the time. PS4-PS2 BC could just be licensed trash

Yep. My dream is that they give us Persona 3 and Persona 4 in the months leading up to launch of Persona 5.

Ground Zero = 1.5 hours

The game's sitting on a 93% positive user rating on Steam, has nice cel-shaded visuals, voice acting from Christopher Lloyd, and is about 2-3 times as long as most prequel/episode 1 games, so it saddens me to see such a knee-jerk negative reaction to its inclusion in PS+. It'd be like if Sony gave everybody a free copy of The Fellowship of the Ring and everyone started complaining because they didn't give away the whole series.

I think it's more the fact that it's a game that you have to pay for if you want to finish. When they released a part of driveclub they counted it as something separate from the normal monthly games.

Personally I'm not hugely fussed, over the course of a year I easily get my moneys worth out of PS+, but I can see why people would feel down about getting a part of a bigger game (especially when we generally get full seasons of other episodic games, ie walking dead, sam and max, bttf)

SxP

Just awful again. That's three months in a row for me where I'm not even remotely interested in anything. And I play quite a lot of indies, they're just all unappealing indies lately.

bender

What time is it?
Really want to try Kings Quest so I'm happy for this month. Gauntlet looks drab, any thoughts on it? I'll give Freedom Wars another shot. I gave up on it quickly without giving it a fair shake.

I think it's more the fact that it's a game that you have to pay for if you want to finish. When they released a part of driveclub they counted it as something separate from the normal monthly games.

And I understand this complaint, I just think the outrage is overblown. I don't remember seeing nearly as much complaining when they gave away Ground Zero or the Infamous standalone expansion and those are both instances where you'd have to buy something else to see the full story.

The one that really annoys me is Gauntlet. I love loot-based hack&slash Action/RPGs and I don't think I'll even bother downloading it. I already have Path of Exile (completely free, with no pay to win), Diablo 3 (also on the PS4), and Grim Dawn and all three of those games are high quality and still get major updates on a regular basis. Unless Gauntlet is downright amazing (and nothing I've read indicates this), it just feels like what's the point?

PS+ threads have become a pain in the ass; a whole load of complaining that makes finding info and opinions on the game difficult to find. So sad. I don't get how people STILL make the effort to come here to bitch, if they know it doesn't make any difference. Why not make a separate thread =|

BTW, Freedom Wars is pretty cool. PM me if anyone wants to tag along!

Kings Quest episode 2 isn't even out yet. Usually these point and click games give away episode 1 way further down the line. I paid full price when it came out, not sure how I feel about that.

Top Bottom