• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Games For December (Kings Quest, Gauntlet, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, SSX)

hohoXD123

This must be a joke. Sony needs to stop choosing games that you need to buy extra to get the full story. Stuff like MGS and Infamous LL was one thing, but now with The Walking Dead S2 and KQ episode 1 is just wrong. I already paid for PS+, so at least give us complete games.

Don't know enough about KQ to comment but what's the problem with giving TWD Season 2? It's essentially the full game sequel to the previous full game, regardless of whether they call it season 2, how many sequels have been given away on PS+ without people complaining about it? Were you annoyed when they gave away Mass Effect 3 as well? You'd have the right to be pissed if they were giving away episode 1 or something.

JSoup

Banned
Last four times Blood Dragon was on sale, I decided not to at the last minute.
Problem solved, thanks PSN+.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Don't know enough about KQ to comment but what's the problem with giving TWD Season 2? It's essentially the full game sequel to the previous full game, regardless of whether they call it season 2, how many sequels have been given away on PS+ without people complaining about it? You'd have the right to be pissed if they were giving away episode 1 or something.

i think he meant in terms of TWD that you need to play S1 to enjoy S2 so you're getting "half a game" heh

at least i hope that was his reasoning...otherwise there is no comparison between KQ Ep1 and TWD S2

I have pretty low expectations when it comes to ps plus but this has to be one of the worst months in a long time for ps4. As a policy they should be giving out full games. It's 1 and 1/6 games, not 2.

hohoXD123

i think he meant in terms of TWD that you need to play S1 to enjoy S2 so you're getting "half a game" heh

at least i hope that was his reasoning...otherwise there is no comparison between KQ Ep1 and TWD S2

You don't. Most of the characters in TWD S2 are new. There are obviously throwbacks to S1 and you probably won't enjoy it as much, but it's mostly self-contained. Pretty strange to attack them for this now when they've already given away numerous sequels to plot-heavy games like Mass Effect.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You don't. Most of the characters in TWD S2 are new. There are obviously throwbacks to S1 and you probably won't enjoy it as much, but it's mostly self-contained. Pretty strange to attack them for this now when they've already given away numerous sequels to plot-heavy games like Mass Effect.

i wasn't necessarily agreeing with him. but you could argue that the emotional impact to some moments and attachment you have with the main character is greatly diminished without having played s1.

i wouldnt go so far as calling it half a game though. its a complete entry in the series in its own right.

Flunkie

Banned
Fuck yeah, Freedom Wars is a top 3 Vita game for me probably. Fantastic game. I am still holding out hope for a sequel. Glad so many people get to try it out and should fill up the online community again.

v1ncelis

Only one episode is not that good since most of the time developers are giving first episode for free to encourage people to buy full season anyways.
What would make to renew my sub is early access to first party games, similar to what EA access offers.

At first glance it's not a great month.

I already have Blood Dragon. That's just luck.

I also have Freedom Wars, but I'm happy about that one. More people online to play with.

Kings Quest? Hmm. Ok, I might sample that.
Gauntlet is great for me. My grand kids like to play that one on the PS2.
SSX? Probably not for me, but I might give it a try.

So, in the end, it's decent.

Footos22

It's not the full game, which is what most people are complaining about.

Episodic games normally give the first episode free down the line anyway.

Activision isn't going to let anyone Download the first chapter for free. Its twice as long as a normal episodic chapter and twice the price.

ptuck874

Last four times Blood Dragon was on sale, I decided not to at the last minute.
Problem solved, thanks PSN+.

u are going to love it, sooooooo much fun, remember to kill a lot of dinos though to get that trophy :) but the game is rediculous fun....

King's Quest is absolutely wonderful. Wouldn't be surprised if they make it free again in the future when the whole season is out, but it's something new for people now.

Awful month for me, PS4 and vita owner (in Japan where Freedom wars has been about $5-8 everywhere for over 6 months).

Can't believe how much better value Plus was when I only owned a vita.

Well shit, this is the last month of my subscription and I was hoping they might wow me into re-upping. The last six months or so have been nothing but stuff I already own or that I have absolutely no interest in.

Let's be honest here, even if Sony kept doling out garbage for months upon end it really wouldn't put a huge dent in PS+ subscribers now that the online MP is behind the paywall.

Gator86

I no longer feel any excitement for the PS+ releases. It's just criminally old stuff I already own or stuff I'll never play.

Fuck SSX. It has a prominent place in my top 5 most disappointing games of all time. Seriously, fuck SSX.

I feel bad for the indie devs who have to read the pure hatred that people spew about their games on PS+ every month. You give your game away for free in the hopes of getting some visibility and having more people experience it and then hundreds of people just feel the need to call it trash sight unseen.

Mentok

Banned
I'm probably wrong, but I have a feeling they may be holding off one free game to announce for PSX.

Besides that, I may pick up Gauntlet.

down 2 orth

I bought FW already but I'm glad to see it on here because it's good to see Sony finally putting a big release out for the Vita Plus after all this time, and because the online population will surge. It's a good reason to jump in.

But putting out what amounts to be a demo for the PS4 selection is weak. People are never going to forget the glory days of the Plus subscription when Sony wanted to win us over, and doing stuff like this now kind of shows a lack of shame.

I feel bad for the indie devs who have to read the pure hatred that people spew about their games on PS+ every month. You give your game away for free in the hopes of getting some visibility and having more people experience it and then hundreds of people just feel the need to call it trash sight unseen.
Of course the developers don't give their games away for free. Sony compensates them. Sure, they don't get the profits they would if they sold millions of copies but how many indie games come anywhere close to even one million sales? For an indie developer, getting your game on plus is brilliant.

Joeku

Out of curiosity I just looked up a gameplay trailer of Freedom Wars. Looks...crazy. Is it just sci-fi monster hunter?

Either way, glad to have SSX back. I loaned my 360 copy to a friend and never got it back.

Edit: Have since gone to the OT. This game looks baller as hell. I have so much I have to go play on my Vita :(

MajorTom

Happy about freedom wars. Been close to buying it many times.
Everything else? Not interested at all. Very disappointing few months for me now.

But ever since the launch of the ps4 the main reason I re-sub is for multiplayer.
I rarely play ps plus games these days.
Always add them to my account though.

Fasty

Out of all these, I'm most excited for Rocketbirds on Vita. Really underrated game (in that I never hear anyone talk about it, ever)

Sciz

This must be a joke. Sony needs to stop choosing games that you need to buy extra to get the full story. Stuff like MGS and Infamous LL was one thing, but now with The Walking Dead S2 and KQ episode 1 is just wrong. I already paid for PS+, so at least give us complete games.

King's Quest already is a full story. There's a thin amount of overarching narrative tying the whole series together, but each episode is a complete plot from start to finish in its own right.

It's also great. Like, just play it, guys, and I'm willing to guarantee you'll all stop complaining about it just being a fifth of the whole series.

marrec

Banned
i dunno, controls lacked precision, farming equipment was too grindy, some mobs can be bullet sponges. i'd say good.

The setting was magnificent and the characters all oozed charm, each escalation of mission structure was pretty nail biting and exciting too.

Otherwise, ya it's a Hunting game. ;P

I really really want a sequel on PS4.

not sure about the PS+ games but I saw that COOP sale last night and the extra $5-10 off for PS+ and I thought that was pretty awesome .... maybe best PS+ member bonus discounts I've seen yet on the PS4 (at least for me and what games I haven't bought but want to play cheaply).

//edit//

woah Kane & Lynch 1 and 2 are just $2 right now

haha -90% off for PS+ subscribers, I should pick 'em up digitally... wonder what other PS3 games have such huge discounts

nice, gonna give it kings quest a go...

unfortunately i bought gauntlet for the PC, but its a fun couch co-op game... had a blast with my brother playing it, i recommend it for co-op, solo is kinda boring but you can play coop online as well.

Nothing of interest for me next month, but a the very least, this thread reminded me of November games; too busy that I forgot to check those lol. Beyond Good and Evil is now mine.

I.. Actually like the PS4 lineup. Played Gauntlet on PC last year 4 player co-op and it was a blast. King's Quest looks interesting too and I'm looking forward to that. The only thing that bothers me is I'm going to have to delete stuff from my Vita to be able to download Freedom Wars because I'm too stubborn to pay Sony's memory card prices.

Ludens

Banned
For people saying giving King's Quest Ep.1 is the same of giving Walking Dead Season 2: it's not.
Season 2 can be played alone, even without S1, it is a complete story arc.
King's Quest Episode 1 is just the first episode of a season. It's the same thing of giving away Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode 1.

Also the game lenght could be different from player to player: someone can take six hours, other people can beat the game in 3-4 hours.

Yeah, maybe it's longer than usual episode for season-based games, but even Life is Strange episodes are longer than TT episodes.

Also, first TT episodic games like Sam & Max were WAY longer than current TT titles: you can easily spend 5 hours on a single episode of Sam & Max.

It's the same thing, Sony is giving away 1/5 of a game.

No matter the quality of the episode, it could be stellar but the fact this is just a single episode remains.

Anyway I only own a PS3, already played Blood Dragon, so crappy month for me.

Top Bottom