• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

CFW is the greatest thing, whether it's on the PS3 or the PSP. Just gives you so many options for playing and handling games.

Congrats on the flawless update.

Danneee

Quick question that I couldn't find an answer to by googling:
Is it possible, with a cfw PS3, make the console region free regarding PS1 games?
Real original discs. Isos and backups are of no interest to me.

I tried doing a direct install. After putting the update on my USB, it said it couldn't be found when I went to system settings and then update from media storage. No idea what went wrong.

Invis

I've got Rogero 4.40. Will that impact my updates in any way? Do I have to install the update using the debug mode way, first, or can I just put it on the USB drive like normal?

And should I use D-REX or the REX version of Rebug?

REX. D-REX is only used if your system is converted from CEX to DEX. You can just update CFW using system update from a flash drive.

I tried doing a direct install. After putting the update on my USB, it said it couldn't be found when I went to system settings and then update from media storage. No idea what went wrong.

Theoretically, there shouldnt be any problem doing it that way, as that is the preferred way of updating. Make sure your file structure and PUP filename are correct.

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Harl3

Are you sure that the location in your USB is

/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Everything must be on capital letters.

How risky is installing CFW on 4.80?

I've been playing the KH collection recently & the load times and drive clicking are really bugging me. Can that Multiman thing speed up load times too, since it's running off the HDD?

And how easy is it to get back to OFW?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Returning to OFW is literally as easy as just installing the official update, but once you do so, if memory serves CFW becomes a no-go unless you have an older console that you can forcibly downgrade via hardware to its original, CFW-friendly firmware. Edit: Assuming Sony patches the vulnerability in 4.81+.

(I can't comment on any of your other questions as it's been four or five years since I've fiddled with CFW.)

Returning to OFW is literally as easy as just installing the official update, but once you do so, if memory serves CFW becomes a no-go unless you have an older console that you can forcibly downgrade via hardware to its original, CFW-friendly firmware.

(I can't comment on any of your other questions as it's been four or five years since I've fiddled with CFW.)
Interesting, thanks! :)

REX. D-REX is only used if your system is converted from CEX to DEX. You can just update CFW using system update from a flash drive.

Theoretically, there shouldnt be any problem doing it that way, as that is the preferred way of updating. Make sure your file structure and PUP filename are correct.

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Are you sure that the location in your USB is

/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Everything must be on capital letters.
Yea, ps3 was in root, update was in ps3, and ps3updat.pup was in the update folder.

All capitalized, of course.

So I've got no clue why it didn't work. Used two separate USBs, got the file directly from rebug, too. Hope me system won't always be out of date.

Ashhong

Are we allowed to talk about emulators? I've been looking for the best MAME as well as general snes/nes/etc emulator for a while but can't seem to get a good consensus, especially the MAME one. any ideas?

drspeedy

In an effort to let current gen games have room on my rather limited "now playing" shelf I've been working through ripping my Wii collection to HDD... then I realized I could also rip my PS3 library via CFW and have the shelf completely cleared for new games.

Here's the question: Can I use the same HDD for both Wii and PS3 backups if I partition it? IT's a 1TB powered drive, should have ample room but I'm not completely sure how the whole USB HDD interface works with PS3.

Any help?

KyleCross

In an effort to let current gen games have room on my rather limited "now playing" shelf I've been working through ripping my Wii collection to HDD... then I realized I could also rip my PS3 library via CFW and have the shelf completely cleared for new games.

Here's the question: Can I use the same HDD for both Wii and PS3 backups if I partition it? IT's a 1TB powered drive, should have ample room but I'm not completely sure how the whole USB HDD interface works with PS3.

Any help?
I don't think you even have to partition, just put them on there together.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Any help?

You don't have to partition anything. As long as the HDD is Fat32, just put your backups in X:/Games/*INSERT FOLDER* format and it should be perfect.

torpet

Neo Member
So I've launched my PS3 with CFW for the first time in 2-3 years. Rogero 4.40 seems to be on there.

I've done some research and Rebug seems to be where it's at these days. Before I upgrade, I have some questions.

1) How do I properly update in a clean manner?
2) Is there anything useful I can do these days with the CFW? I've seen there are RetroArch builds available, but wouldn't I be better off with just a Raspberry Pi?
3) CEX vs DEX?
4) I want to format the harddrive as well. Should I just go to the recovery menu and do it from there? After or before installing Rebug?

CmdBash

Recently installed the latest rebug replacing my older rogero firmware, but now ntfs support doesn't seem to be working with irismanager. Multiman still works but it doesn't support copying onto the ntfs drive. Anyone got any suggestions to solve this issue?

Recently installed the latest rebug replacing my older rogero firmware, but now ntfs support doesn't seem to be working with irismanager. Multiman still works but it doesn't support copying onto the ntfs drive. Anyone got any suggestions to solve this issue?
You sure? I swear I was able to copy with Multiman when I had a PS3 earlier this year - I might have formatted the drive to FAT by then however. Haven't used iris so I have no input there. I guess it's worth asking, why NTFS? FAT was just way more compatible.

CmdBash

You sure? I swear I was able to copy with Multiman when I had a PS3 earlier this year - I might have formatted the drive to FAT by then however. Haven't used iris so I have no input there. I guess it's worth asking, why NTFS? FAT was just way more compatible.

AFAIK multiman only supports ntfs copying from the external onto the internal but not the other way around. NTFS is just easier for me to use considering my externals are already formatted that way for use with my PC with larger files and such.

AFAIK multiman only supports ntfs copying from the external onto the internal but not the other way around. NTFS is just easier for me to use considering my externals are already formatted that way for use with my PC with larger files and such.
That must of been it, I recall having to do that instead of FTP since it was quicker.

Does anyone know a good and safe guide for putting CFW on a 60gb PS3? None of the links work in the OP anymore.

I'm finally gonna do this thing and play my JP copy of Tales of Vesperia.

Does anyone know a good and safe guide for putting CFW on a 60gb PS3? None of the links work in the OP anymore.

I'm finally gonna do this thing and play my JP copy of Tales of Vesperia.

d0a.gif

Lol yeah I know. I've been holding onto this 60gb PS3 forever telling myself when I had the time I would put CFW on it when there was a slight lull in new games. Now is that time!
I haven't my PS3 in years (it's CFW) and just yesterday I had a dream that I gave it away to a kid... and then immediately regretted it. Waking up from that dream was a big relief, haha.

Before someone judges me, that kid has a PS4 and I don't have a PS4. He doesn't need my precious! :)

I haven't my PS3 in years (it's CFW) and just yesterday I had a dream that I gave it away to a kid... and then immediately regretted it. Waking up from that dream was a big relief, haha.

Before someone judges me, that kid has a PS4 and I don't have a PS4. He doesn't need my precious! :)

Since you have a cfw ps3 maybe you'll know the answer to this.

If I have the 60gb with full ps2 BC would CFW let me play my JP PS2 games? I no longer have a working modded ps2.

If I have the 60gb with full ps2 BC would CFW let me play my JP PS2 games? I no longer have a working modded ps2.

I probably would have been able to answer that some years ago but I honestly don't remember anymore. Have you tried Google?

My PS3 is 80GB with partial PS2 hardware BC, but I don't think I played any PS2 games on it.

I probably would have been able to answer that some years ago but I honestly don't remember anymore. Have you tried Google?

My PS3 is 80GB with partial PS2 hardware BC, but I don't think I played any PS2 games on it.

Yeah I've tried searching but I've seen answers that say yes and no so I have no idea what the correct answer is.

Fularu

Banned

Any PS2 will let you play imports without using a modchip.

The PS2 is probably the easiest console to softmod in existence. (Just buy a memory card with fmb on it)

horkrux

Yeah I've tried searching but I've seen answers that say yes and no so I have no idea what the correct answer is.

The correct answer is that it works ;)

You've probably read earlier stuff from before they had released this Cobra-thingy (which is pretty much part of all common CFW now).

Any PS2 will let you play imports without using a modchip.

The PS2 is probably the easiest console to softmod in existence. (Just buy a memory card with fmb on it)

Unfortunately my PS2 broke and I'd rather not buy another one this long after they came out since there's a good chance they'll break or be on the last legs.

The correct answer is that it works ;)

You've probably read earlier stuff from before they had released this Cobra-thingy (which is pretty much part of all common CFW now).

Ah great! Thanks for the confirmation!

Top Bottom