• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Wallpaper thread

mackaveli

kay said:
Save the updated file I had posted a few posts up HERE, it is the outline of the icons. Have your original image open and then paste the icon outline image in photoshop. Fill in the inside of the trace with preferably black. Right click the trace layer in the bottom right menu (should be layer 2) and select blending options. Change the blend mode to linear burn and slide the opacity bar until you think it looks good. Then save it as a jpg, png whatever. There is probably a better way but yeah.

thanks a lot man. got it working i believe.

here is my wallpaper contribution so far, its Lightning from FFXIII without any watermarks, clean image.

its 1920x1080. this is my first attempt so it's not perfect.

Christopher

I don't think I can part with the cool color changing theme...unless they have another one :D.

Also alot of anime in this thread...

rager

Banned
I think I am gonna stick with my waves. I dont like the XMB tracing, it takes away the nice flow with those vertical/horizontal strips.

Hopefully the next update will allow transparencies so I can have the wave in front of the background.

Firewire

Banned
mackaveli said:
thanks a lot man. got it working i believe.

here is my wallpaper contribution so far, its Lightning from FFXIII without any watermarks, clean image.

its 1920x1080. this is my first attempt so it's not perfect.

Good Job!

ntb825

I put the Little Big Planet one and the Solid Snake MGS4 one on my SD card, and my PS3 won't recognize them.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have an idea as to what i'm doing wrong?

4v7e652.png

MCD

ntb825 said:
I put the Little Big Planet one and the Solid Snake MGS4 one on my SD card, and my PS3 won't recognize them.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have an idea as to what i'm doing wrong?

Open them in your imageviewer and save them again.

XMB Wallpaper Tutorial:

Here's a basic stuff that i do. I am not a pro at photoshop, so i don't think anyone will have difficulty with this.

Make sure the image you use has a minimum resolution of 1280x720 (720p) to ensure compatibility with almost all users, though it'll be best if it's equal or larger than 1920x1080 (1080p) to ensure compatibility with all users.

Step 1: Goto file, and create a new image. Choose either 1280x720 or 1920x1080, depending on your image size. I'm going to use 1920x1080 as the image i am using is big.

Step01.jpg

Step 2: Open the image you are willing to use as your wallpaper. I am going to use Masterchief as an example. The image size is 1920x1200.

step02.jpg

Step 3: Drag Masterchief into the new canvas that you created in Step 1. You can close Masterchief as you no longer need it.

step03.jpg

Step 4: Open the XMB Tracing Template. Once opened, drag it to the new canvas you created in Step 1. You can close XMB Tracing Template as you no longer need it.

step04.jpg

(Step 5 is only required for those who are creating 1080p Wallpapers. Those creating 720p should ignore it).

Step 5: The XMB Tracing Template that i created is 1280x720, so in order for it to fit in the new canvas, i have to increase it's size. Choose the XMB, click on Edit > Transform > Scale. On the top, you will see the Width and Height Percentage. Increase them both by 150% and apply.

step05.jpg

Step 6: Use the Magic Wand and remove all the borders that you dont require.

step06.jpg

Step 7: Color the outer four rectangular boxes black using Bucket Tool. Fill up any white gap on either of the rectangular boxes (not the square box) if you see any.

step07.jpg

Step 8: Move/flip/scale the background wallpaper (In this case, Masterchief) to suit your need. I flipped him horizontally because the XMB was covering him up.

step08.jpg

Step 9: Change the color of rectengular and square boxes to suit the background, making sure that the color of square box should be different than rectangular boxes. Also, make sure they are dark colors are light colors might overlap the white text in XMB.

step09.jpg

Step 10: Crop the XMB if required. In my case, i think it was overshadowing Masterchief, so i cropped it a bit.

step10.jpg

Step 11: Change the transparency of the XMB to 50% (marked as "Fill").

step11.jpg

Step 12: Save the image as jpg, and don't forget to share it with us GAFers :) Let me know if anything is confusing. Here's the final wallpaper:

Templates used in the following tutorial:

XMB Tracing:

Masterchief:

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
wreckk said:
Here goes a few I made... with a border thats a bit border stylized.

I have a few more coming.

awesome but hte heavenly sword one is the same image as the one below it.

if i want to put the wallpaper on my external HDD and then move them over to my ps3 from there, what name do I have to a folder on the HDD so the Ps3 can read it and copy the wallpaper over?

MercuryLS

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Here's my first attempt. Looks pretty smooth in XMB. I think it needs a little trimming for the Tracing. Let me know how it looks:

I love you, really. I asked for a MGS1 Ninja BG and you delivered, thanks.

Ploid 3.0

How do you guys make custom icons for your users?

I'm loving the template wallpapers, and the wallpapers posted in this thread. When I get to a PC i'm using that template that wreckk use, or make a different style for each wallpaper. This is awesome, even if the selection go off the template when browsing PC folders with the media share files.

Top Bottom