• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

mishakoz

So, the day in the US is a mere 7 days away

Since I am ridiculously plan-oriented I need to start planning where I will be for the midnight launch, and chances are many of you do too. While I already have my consoles preordered via amazon, I plan to join in on the launch excitement anyhow and will be going to a midnight launch.

Official Playstation Launch Event

In Lieu of the Sony Metreon, here is the big event where Playstation execs and lots of fans will be showing up.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/11/playstation-4-launch-events-san-francisco-and-more/

PS4 San Francisco Launch Event
830 Market St, San Francisco
Date/time:
11/14
Activities start at 6:00pm
Activities:
PS4 demos & contests
Wear your PS gear, bring your PS Vita, and show your PlayStation pride.
Food trucks
Giveaways include:
PS4 Grand Prize Pack, which includes a PS4 signed by Jack Tretton, and a Mark Cerny autographed Knack poster
PS Vita Prize Pack, which includes a system and a wealth of games
The Last Of Us Prize Pack, which includes the Post Pandemic Edition, The Last Of Us polo shirt, and The Last Of Us Infected Bust
Tearaway charms
PS4 t-shirts
…and more!
Follow @HeyPlayStation for all of the details on the giveaways and contests

Best Buy

Best Buy midnight launch details and store locater can be found at the link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-G...5700050012.c?id=pcmcat295700050012&CMP=ocss_g

GameStop

Click here for a list of stores: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/ps4launch/default.aspx

Join us on Thursday night, 11/14, at 6pm to celebrate the release of the Sony Playstation 4.

Things To Know, Before You Go:

Our doors will open 6pm in most locations, but check with your local store for opening times. This title will be available for pick-up at Midnight.

Between 6pm and midnight is when we finalize your transaction. You will need to go to the register to receive your finalized purchase receipt. Finalizing the transaction is where we take your deposit, partial or full, and create a sale receipt. Our associates will assign you a Guest # to hold a place in line for you when midnight hits.

Don't forget to bring your trade-ins to take advantage of our great trade specials to reduce the price of your game. Everybody likes to save money!

You don't have to arrive at 6pm. You can show up anytime between 6pm and midnight. However, by coming early, you can get your trade-ins and transaction processed sooner and be assigned a Guest # closer to the front of the line.

Our staff will begin organizing our customers into line in Guest # order just before midnight so we will be ready to get you your PS4 purchases as quickly as possible when midnight hits.

Come hang out with our associates and fellow Sony PS4 enthusiasts as we ring in the next generation in video gaming! Our knowledgeable staff will be available all evening to answer any questions that you may have and assist you with any additional purchases. We will have a great selection of PS4 games and accessories to help you get the best gaming gear for your new console.

The Sony PS4 will be available beginning at 12:01am on Friday, 11/15.

Sony Store

Unfortunately in 2006, we had the Sony Metreon, the place to be for the PS3 launch. The next best thing is probably the Sony Store, and while there doesn't seem to be any articles online, I have been told in person by employees that many sony stores are expected to have midnight launches.

Edit: "most" Sony stores should be having midnight launches, and will have both prereserved and unreserved consoles available.

Especially exciting, and where I will be for midnight launch, is the Sony Store in century city. Not only does it have line of sight to the Microsoft Store across from it, which I find funny, but I've heard rumors of local sony studios/developers showing up to the launch there. Also, in lieu of the metreon I am secretly hoping for some sony execs.

Wal-Mart

Mentioned online is that certain stores will be holding midnight launches, but no store locater as of yet.

Target

According to the leaked ad, stores will open at 8am. No midnight launches unless you hear otherwise.

EB Games Canada
Midnight launch locator
http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/landing/launch-day/2013/november-15/midnights.htm

Best Buy Canada

Wurdfurd said:
Stores opening at 8am, minimum 25 unreserved (i.e. non preorder customer allocated stock) consoles available per store. It would seem Best Buy has the inventory to fulfill ALL preorders and then some.

The following stores are doing midnight launches, all of which have a minimum of 100 unreserved consoles:

Cambie & 6th Avenue, Vancouver
Bay & Dundas, Toronto
Heartland Town Centre, Mississauga
810 St James Street, Winnipeg

Bay and Dundas is the host for the official launch party, with 250 unreserved consoles available.

Will update the OP as new information becomes available.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wish I knew where they had units for sale not preordered. I kinda want to camp out for one and cancel my Amazon order.

okayfrog

Banned
Wish I knew where they had units for sale not preordered. I kinda want to camp out for one and cancel my Amazon order.

Places like Wal-Mart and Target would probably be your best bets, though unlike GameStop or Best Buy, not all Wal-Mart's and Target's will be doing midnight launches. If you do end up trying to get one, good luck! Midnight launches are awesome.

Kinda pissed that my Canada Amazon intends to have my PS4 delivered 3-4 days after launch.

Wish I preordered my EB Games now

Kyleoty

Neo Member
How early you guys think people will be waiting outside the stores?

Probably This upcoming weekend. 7 days in advance of the launch. PS2 I was 2nd at a very busy Bust Buy and I got their at 6:30pm the night of the launch. This does not happen this late any more.

Milennia

Going to be heading to the midtown bestbuy, in hopes of there being an enormous launch party like there usually is.

I also want to say high to the inevitable dude who's going to be in line for a week and a half.

Wonder where the gametrailers thing is going to be...

MoeB

So, the day in the US is a mere 10 and 11 hours away. It's nearly here

Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber.gif

From experience, most, if not all GameStops and Walmarts having midnight launches. Walmart even brings out chairs for people to sit down in the electronics department if it's a super center. I'll be enjoying the freezing cold outside of GameStop this year lol.

studyguy

You could argue there's more excitement waiting for the delivery guy haha.

I've worked retail long ago out of a small hole in the wall electronics store, shipments of new systems are literally tons of boxes taking up way too much space. Moving all that shit around is terribly annoying. No part of a new system launch prior to getting it out the door is fun.

I heard somewhere on GAF that GameStop is open 24 hours on the 15th? This would be good for me as I have no intention staying up till midnight but would like to pick it up early Friday around 7 or 8AM. I have a wierd schedule and a baby..

Samus4145

Why would you want to camp out instead of waiting for the UPS guy to bring it directly to your doorstep? Just to play a few hours early?

UPS actually shows up around 8pm at night. I plan on having them hold the packages at their facility and driving over at 8am when they open. It's abour a 30 minute drive, but 9am is better than around 8pm.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Why would you want to camp out instead of waiting for the UPS guy to bring it directly to your doorstep? Just to play a few hours early?

I've said in another thread but I recently moved to a new place but haven't established my address so all of my mail is going to the local USPS center. Amazon is going to send it to my last known location and with preorders getting shuffled around for trying to do simple things, I don't want to chance it. Amazon said if I update the address, it will change my date and I don't have the time to wait outside of my old place all day for a package.

th4tguy

UPS usually comes by around 10-11am for me. I'll be working from home that day so I'm not too upset about having to wait till then. Plus, I'll have the whole weekend to play with it.

First thing I'm doing when it comes in is swapping the hard drive. Then I'll have to set up my transfer my PSN id and sign up for PSN +. Finally, I'll have to download all of my games. Killzone, COD, and AC4 already preordered on PSN. Those plus all of the indy games.... I'm in for a wait no matter what.

Does anyone know if apps like Hulu or Netflix will be available day one?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I want to do the same thing too. But, what's really at a console lau.... screw it. It happens once a decade. I'm going whether there's anything to be gained from it or not. I'll pick up an obligatory something while I'm there. Maybe a controller. Wake up, go get the box from UPS so there's no chance of it not arriving.

I've said in another thread but I recently moved to a new place but haven't established my address so all of my mail is going to the local USPS center. Amazon is going to send it to my last known location and with preorders getting shuffled around for trying to do simple things, I don't want to chance it. Amazon said if I update the address, it will change my date and I don't have the time to wait outside of my old place all day for a package.

You could use UPS redirect and have them hold it at a UPS store or depot for pick up

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My local Gamestop still has no clue. A little disconcerting.

fizzgigg

Banned
I work at a gamestop in Chicago we are having a midnight launch.
It's also not a big gamestop as well so I'm sure most of them are having midnight launches.

Amazon will be delivering it to my office that day.

After that, I plan on conveniently coming down with something nasty that requires bed rest and vita remote play.

Samyy

Are you fucking kidding me, my nearest location is not on the list. I only preordered with them because they told me they were doing a midnight launch -_______-

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
local gamestop already confirmed they are having one.

don't REALLY want to wait in line.. Will probably only go for like 45-60 minutes. Hoping to be home before 1am.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I will wait until daytime as I don't want to risk getting robbed.

you know...... I would... except my only games at launch are going to be digital downloads. Supposedly both Knack and KZ install after 7GB which should be like an hour each.

I am doing the Target deal also, but was probably going to wait until Saturday (unless they put games out earlier in the week)

I would suspect that Gamestop any day now will have something of a statement or online store check for midnight launch for the PS4.

I thought I was doing BB midnight launch but its too far. And I have it preordered st the smaller BB. No point to just drive there unless they have the stand for sale lol

okayfrog

Banned
Why are you guys so paranoid about being robbed? You're at an event with hundreds of people all around you. As long as you're not the last person there, your car isn't a football field's length away, and you don't wear a shirt saying, "Rob me, I dare you," you've got nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom