• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

Ocelott

I just called my Gamestop to see if I could still pre-order and they kind of laughed and said no. I asked how it looks if you did not pre-order.

The guy on the other line said, " do not expect to see any until February on shelves "

Ouch .... OUCH.

Quickly called Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Frys, etc. and got the same story over and over. Can't pre-order still, and do not expect to see anything on shelves for awhile.

AUGHHHH

BUT, I did find Game Trade, a little local shop down the road like a wanna-be Gamestop that said they are taking pre-orders up until the 7th. I asked if those are guaranteed Day 1 type of things and he said no. Just gets you in the line.
Mannnn, Why did you wait ; ;

Tekniqs

will sleep, wake up in the morning, walk in to gamestop and pick up my preorder...go home and eat while installing everything. Never understood preordering something then waiting in line at midnight.

jimwhat

I don't think so, but you could try to see if Wal-Mart or Best Buy will match the offer. I doubt they will, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

We have to wait for the ad to actually come out first.

Anyway, for walmarts:

If you pre-ordered your console, you should be able to pick it up at your store for the launch.

If you didn't preorder, you'll have to head to a 24-hour store.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I'm going to take my chances and try to camp out for a midnight release at a 24 hour Walmart.

Messi

Hundreds? Is there an army of console launch bandits living in your area?

Hundreds looking to buy a console. There will be 50 people max and I live in a rough area. I would rather not risk it at the first possible moment when the most cash is present.

Gaz_RB

Hundreds looking to buy a console. There will be 50 people max and I live in a rough area. I would rather not risk it at the first possible moment when the most cash is present.
Gotcha, I thought you meant hundreds of mugging a haha

will sleep, wake up in the morning, walk in to gamestop and pick up my preorder...go home and eat while installing everything. Never understood preordering something then waiting in line at midnight.
I've made a couple good gamer friends in the area at midnight launches. They can be fun if you have a nice community. The excitement is pretty cool.

I hate midnight launches. I truly do. But needless to say that I'm going on 11/14 just to ensure that I get my console. My GameStop says there initial shipment will cover "a large number" of preorders. I'm number 20 on the list and I don't want to take any chances as they aren't setting the consoles aside in order of reservation.

wonder if these retailers will rent cops for the midnight launches? With so much potential money in one place you'd think they would (I believe they do so for Black Friday)

Vooduu

I only wish you midnight raiders the best. I don't live in a bad area but that doesn't mean some dumbass from another area won't try something.

Thank god for Amazon. Someone steps on my porch, they get a 9mm straight to the temple.

Marceles

Why are you guys so paranoid about being robbed? You're at an event with hundreds of people all around you. As long as you're not the last person there, your car isn't a football field's length away, and you don't wear a shirt saying, "Rob me, I dare you," you've got nothing to worry about.

People don't care at all what the situation is. They do it when new shoes release, they'll easily do it at a PS4 launch.

Liberty4all

Banned
Launch lines are always awesome filled with interesting people. I can't wait.

with that said, I live downtown and will definitely be taking a taxi home. No way I'm walking with that home.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Hopefully Taco Bell will pull through and I will get my PS4 bundle around 12th - 13th (I doubt it). I plan on picking up BF4 on the 12th so I will be ready as soon as I get my console in.

Liberty4all

Banned
I just called my Gamestop to see if I could still pre-order and they kind of laughed and said no. I asked how it looks if you did not pre-order.

The guy on the other line said, " do not expect to see any until February on shelves "

Ouch .... OUCH.

Quickly called Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Frys, etc. and got the same story over and over. Can't pre-order still, and do not expect to see anything on shelves for awhile.

AUGHHHH

BUT, I did find Game Trade, a little local shop down the road like a wanna-be Gamestop that said they are taking pre-orders up until the 7th. I asked if those are guaranteed Day 1 type of things and he said no. Just gets you in the line.

That sucks genuinely sorry to hear. I was #2 preorder at my ebgames in Toronto :)

redhot_

I hate midnight launches. I truly do. But needless to say that I'm going on 11/14 just to ensure that I get my console. My GameStop says there initial shipment will cover "a large number" of preorders. I'm number 20 on the list and I don't want to take any chances as they aren't setting the consoles aside in order of reservation.

Has this ever been done for other big launches?

For some reason I'm doubting they will.

Messi

I've made a couple good gamer friends in the area at midnight launches. They can be fun if you have a nice community. The excitement is pretty cool.

Thats all I need in my town, bands of roaming muggers.

dreamfall

Going to a midnight launch with a friend in D.C.! He's getting his at midnight, I should be getting my launch delivery from Amazon on Friday!

I am excited- my GameStop is always super chill. Good crowd, good gamer camaraderie! I hope that I'll be able to score my games from Target in that B2G1 promotion- if not, I'll actually have to pick up those at launch.

They took more preorders then they could fufill?

I'd stop going there.

If I didn't pre-order a PS4, which of these places would I have the biggest chance of success in getting a console at a midnight launch? I'm going to wait 8-12 hours to grab one.

GameStop
Wal-Mart
Best Buy
Target

If I don't grab one at midnight, I'll probably go down to Sears and get one there. But I'd rather make Sears my backup.

DoctorZ

So is it known yet how Gamestop is planning on handling preorders exactly? I would assume that their policies would have ome out by now since its getting so close to launch.

todd360

Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber.gif

Whats with the time chamber? You train in there for a year and when you come out only a day passed. So your picture is saying you would like to increase your wait.

Nice, just got the ok to take the 15th off from work. Definitely going to stay up all night playing some PS4. Can't wait. Glad I pre-ordered as soon as they were available.

Has there been any word on how long Best Buys will generally be staying open after midnight? I don't feel like waiting in a line for too long so I'm just going to show up at midnight or a little later to avoid the crowd if I can.

Vooduu

If I didn't pre-order a PS4, which of these places would I have the biggest chance of success in getting a console at a midnight launch? I'm going to wait 8-12 hours to grab one.

GameStop
Wal-Mart
Best Buy
Target

If I don't grab one at midnight, I'll probably go down to Sears and get one there. But I'd rather make Sears my backup.

If you're waiting that long, then any big retailer will be best bet, but not Gamestop. Any of their shipments seem to go straight to people who pre-ordered.

I was the second person to pre-order at my gamestop, and I will be camping out at midnight. How early should I get there? people usually start lines around 7pm or 8pm for game midnight launch's here, but I'm not sure what to expect for a console.

If you're waiting that long, then any big retailer will be best bet, but not Gamestop. Any of their shipments seem to go straight to people who pre-ordered.

Yeah, Gamestop is literally the last place I would try if I didn't have a preorder.

Awesome, thanks. I think I'll wait in line at Best Buy, and if that fails, I'll go next door to Target and wait until they open at 8 a.m. And if that fails, I'll go to Sears at 9 a.m.

btkadams

thanks, op! i didn't know ebgames canada had announced the midnight launches. looks like i'll be picking up my preorder at midnight!

okayfrog

Banned
I was the second person to pre-order at my gamestop, and I will be camping out at midnight. How early should I get there? people usually start lines around 7pm or 8pm for game midnight launch's here, but I'm not sure what to expect for a console.

GameStop's around here do this stupid thing where you line up to get a number at 10pm. When you get that number, then you can go about your business until midnight when they start letting people in by their number. I kinda hate it. They might do the same at your place. If so, get in line around 6pm or so, imo.

Read the Best Buy info, they hint they will have some for sale for non preorders.

Yeah, this was in their launch FAQ

Q: I didn’t pre-order an Xbox One or PlayStation 4. Will I be able to show up at a midnight opening and purchase one?
A: Our stores will have limited quantities available beyond the quantity that was pre-ordered. Tickets will be distributed up to 2 hours before midnight on a first-come, first-serve basis for any available quantities. Stores will know the number of available consoles and will be able to provide updates to customers as any lines may form. Limit one console per person.

Tekniqs

Ive done midnight launches before when I didn't preorder the game. But last one i can really remember was Halo 2 (or San Andreas...i think).

BadHand

Yeah I couldn't believe it at first either. Maybe has something to do with the security they would need. I'll line up at 7AM.

My local Future Shop just confirmed with me that they are not doing one for the PS4 but ARE doing one for the Xbox One.

(Even the muggers don't want an Xbox One I guess)

Jaroof

Mine's not listed on the Best Buy page, but when I asked them about a midnight launch when I pre-ordered, I was told that they probably would have one.

Oh well, I'll just wait until Monday next week, then call and ask if they're going to or not.
If not, I'll just pick it up after work :p

mishakoz

Mine's not listed on the Best Buy page, but when I asked them about a midnight launch when I pre-ordered, I was told that they probably would have one.

Oh well, I'll just wait until Monday next week, then call and ask if they're going to or not.
If not, I'll just pick it up after work :p

I think more might be being added. Check in a few days

ieatzombies

I'll be in jersey at the gamestop in the mall at midnight launch with security packed. Gonna be a great time and gangster.

Saganator

Ouch .... OUCH.

AUGHHHH

Do you live near a Costco? Some Costco's are going to have the PS4. Nice thing about getting it from there, is if at any time it fucks up, you get a full refund. I bought my fatboy PS3 from Costco for like $450, it started hard locking pretty often so I took it back, got a full refund and turned around and bought a slim for $250.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Best Buy is my first plan, Still trying to figure out if I want to wait it out a day before, but I don't know how long I can sit in line.

The dude at gamestop maintains if I come in on the 14th, that they will have extra consoles to presell. I hope he is right, I'd rather go there for midnight launch.

Amir0x

Banned
It is exciting time to be a gamer, that's for sure. I am getting my carefully delivered to my front door by my local UPS driver, courtesy of my friends at Amazon.com.

Going to a midnight launch with a friend in D.C.! He's getting his at midnight, I should be getting my launch delivery from Amazon on Friday!

I am excited- my GameStop is always super chill. Good crowd, good gamer camaraderie! I hope that I'll be able to score my games from Target in that B2G1 promotion- if not, I'll actually have to pick up those at launch.
I'm in d.c too, but didn't preorder. So guess I'll try to find a walmart.

Midnight launches can be fun, done it few times for games, and twice (ps2 and wii) for consoles. Heck of an experience, even if you pre-ordered.

Both of those were at a wal-mart (hey, I lived in a small town). No preorders allowed.

This time I just went with amazon. Bumme ris that I leave for my honeymoon the day after release, so i'll get to play with it a whole 8 hours or so before bed, then not again till the 25th.

Unless of course I try to test our remote play from the middle of the ocean.

Jarnet87

the gamestop I preordered at said they haven't decided yet but are leaning against it for "security reasons'. Guess they don't want it to get crazy and feel it would be better to just open in the morning. I don't mind. The store isn't in a bad area, but I'll admit I'd feel more comfortable picking it up in the morning versus late at night. Would be nice if they opened up a bit early so I can grab it before work.

BadHand

Midnight launches can be fun, done it few times for games, and twice (ps2 and wii) for consoles. Heck of an experience, even if you pre-ordered.

Both of those were at a wal-mart (hey, I lived in a small town). No preorders allowed.

This time I just went with amazon. Bumme ris that I leave for my honeymoon the day after release, so i'll get to play with it a whole 8 hours or so before bed, then not again till the 25th.

Unless of course I try to test our remote play from the middle of the ocean.

Yeah, that sounds like a real bummer!

Top Bottom