• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

I only wish you midnight raiders the best. I don't live in a bad area but that doesn't mean some dumbass from another area won't try something.

Thank god for Amazon. Someone steps on my porch, they get a 9mm straight to the temple.

I'll be packing my 9mm when I'm waiting in line at gamestop. <3 my CCL.

Dart

Just called my local 24hr Wal-Mart & I was told that they have over 200 PS4 systems ready for the midnight launch. I live in a small city near the coast of Washington. For the most part people around here are primarily Xbox gamers, so I'm not that worried about stock running out anytime soon.

Kolgar

Decided to forego my Amazon preorder to indulge in the crazy fun of a midnight launch at Best Buy.

Just stopped by tonight and the guy told me they didn't take any more preorders than they can fulfill--so I should be able to walk in anytime on the 15th or for eight days later and they'll have it.

But yeah, I'm going at midnight barring bad weather... Just put in my vacation request today!

Mobius 1

I'm getting my system delivered via Amazon, but I'm tempted to drive by Best Buy and Gamestop to witness the carnage.

Badgerst3

Just curious- what is amazons track record with delivering systems or AAA games on their exact release day?

I recall lots o grumpy gaf who did not get their items on release day from amazon.

Good test for amazon.

I will be at my so cal BB about 11p Thur to ring up my preorder.

mishakoz

Updated the OP with Best Buy Canada info. seems like Best Buy might have a lot of unreserved consoles to go around, been getting similiar info about Best Buys in the states.

Updated the OP with Best Buy Canada info. seems like Best Buy might have a lot of unreserved consoles to go around, been getting similiar info about Best Buys in the states.

US here. Texas more specific. My Best Buy has enough for preorders and more, too. Hell, I preordered in late August and got one.

Shadow780

5BUPMsfl.jpg

Good luck launch GAF.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Those are some great numbers, hopefully when I drive by on wednesday night, i don't see anyone in line.

VanWinkle

I wish Walmart wasn't such a joke in regards to getting information about this stuff. I want to know if the Walmart that I preordered at will be doing a midnight launch, but I already know if I could they would have no clue. Nobody there knows about this stuff.

I mean, it's probably pretty much a given that I can get it at midnight, but I want 100% CONFIRMATION.

I wish Walmart wasn't such a joke in regards to getting information about this stuff. I want to know if the Walmart that I preordered at will be doing a midnight launch, but I already know if I could they would have no clue. Nobody there knows about this stuff.

I mean, it's probably pretty much a given that I can get it at midnight, but I want 100% CONFIRMATION.

Is it a 24-hour one?

Loakum

Banned
Day after launch, you are going to see at least a dozen news stories of people getting mugged on the way to their car after picking up their new console. It just happens.

especially in my home city (Detroit) where we hear about robbings and shootings daliy...which is why I'm not going to the midnight launch. I'm picking mine up in the afternoon.

I'll be doing the midnight launch w/ a couple of friends. Getting rather excited, already have an extra controller and Killzone Shadow fall sitting in my home, will likely be picking up Knack, Battlefield 4 and maybe NFS: Rivals.

and syklanders despite having the 360 and 3DS version

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I have one preordered from Amazon so that it arrives at my door but I also have another one reserved at Walmart. I guess I'll be going to Walmart midnight launch if they offer it. Ugh, walmart wish me luck GAF

Just curious- what is amazons track record with delivering systems or AAA games on their exact release day?

I recall lots o grumpy gaf who did not get their items on release day from amazon.

Good test for amazon.

I will be at my so cal BB about 11p Thur to ring up my preorder.

In my experience there's more of a probability that you can get it earlier than the release date. Depending on your shipping option they'll send it out a day or two before so they can meet the date no matter what, but if things go exceptionally well on route then it'll be at your home before the time it was scheduled to get there.

pompidu

I have one preordered from Amazon so that it arrives at my door but I also have another one reserved at Walmart. I guess I'll be going to Walmart midnight launch if they offer it. Ugh, walmart wish me luck GAF

does amazon deliver the day of? thar would be sweet.

whogottricked

Neo Member
i dunno if i wanna risk my life @ midnight for the ps4.

dudes plottin out there nowadays

Same here. I live like 2 minutes away (walking) from a GameStop and I don't even want to. The street I have to cross gets really dark. Ain't risking shizz. I'm picking that bad boy up in the morning.

Yeah. I mean, like I said, it is most likely a given, but I just want information from MY walmart saying that I can come in at Midnight and pick up my PS4.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I really want that confirmation, just to have peace of mind. My strategy is to just go a couple hours early and stand in the electronics section just in case a line starts to form. It's not ideal, but it's the safest bet in my book. Otherwise, you could go a couple of hours early and bug the associates; I'm sure they'll know by then.

npa189

Joking aside, are people really expecting midnight to be crazy/violent? I went to an 8am target Wii launch in 2006 and it was very civil, got my ticket, bought the console, and went home...

Good god, that was 7 years ago!

macewank

Joking aside, are people really expecting midnight to be crazy/violent? I went to an 8am target Wii launch in 2006 and it was very civil, got my ticket, bought the console, and went home...

I would imagine that crazy/violent is a very localized thing. In my town, I suspect I'll pick it up and walk to my car and go home with no issues. Other places, who knows.

Good god, that was 7 years ago!

If you're in 5th Ward in Houston, yeah.

Luisrm01

Neo Member
Spoke with the manager at my local GameStop. He said there were about 100 PS4 preorders and he's expecting most people who preordered to show up. He also said that most people would start lining up around 9 PM.

FaintDeftone

Are you Gamestop guys really worried about not getting one at midnight? I preordered day one of the announcement. Would they really over order and screw people out of day one units?

VanWinkle

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I really want that confirmation, just to have peace of mind. My strategy is to just go a couple hours early and stand in the electronics section just in case a line starts to form. It's not ideal, but it's the safest bet in my book. Otherwise, you could go a couple of hours early and bug the associates; I'm sure they'll know by then.

That's what I'm going to do. My friend, two of my brothers, and I are all going to Walmart to pick up three PS4s (my two brothers are going to share one PS4). We're probably going to go around 10PM or so and just chill out back around electronics.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Are you Gamestop guys really worried about not getting one at midnight? I preordered day one of the announcement. Would they really over order and screw people out of day one units?

I think every retailer has gotten better and more experienced at this whole pre-order thing. That being said, shit happens.

macewank

You all crackin me up.

Any other midwest gaf gonna be braving this cold with me?

Ayup. I apparently have to stand in line to pick up my Best Buy preorder, so.. I'll be in line with my buddy (who is buying a walkin unit) playing 3DS in Bloomington, IL

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna go to a midnight launch, but with the Target B2G1 sale, there's no point. I won't get my games till the morning! My current plan is to go to Target first thing in the morning, get my games, swing by Gamestop to pick up my PS4, and then head home. Unfortunately the closest Target is about an hour away via public transit, so it'll take me a while. But I don't mind. I've waited since February -- I can wait a few extra hours.

I really want to do a midnight launch but I'm not going to risk it. Don't want to get jacked for my new PS4. I'm even concerned about going to the 7 am opening at my local EB Games. Might just wait a couple of hours and walk in and 9 am. Hopefully there won't be a big line by then and I can stay in the store and call for a cab to take me home. Either that, or carry it in a big duffle bag on the bus back home.

Yeah, I'm planning this like a military operation.

Xbone is being delivered. Less stress.

leehom

It's nice that a lot of stores will have hundreds of PS4's. Makes me think that supply won't be an issue when it comes to demand. Compared to the 2006 launch when most stores only had about 20-30 for preorders.

Neolith

preordered at gamestop, I dont know if i really wanna sit outside from 9-12. I really hope I don't get screwed over

preordered at gamestop, I dont know if i really wanna sit outside from 9-12. I really hope I don't get screwed over

I'm number 6 at my EB and they say I will DEFINITELY get one when I come in. I'm still nervous though, which is why I want to be there early.

Iorv3th

Don't think so. Unless something goes wrong with shipping and a few dont arrive until the 15th.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Is your Gamestop using the ticket system? You should be able to get your number at around 6PM and then you're free to go until 11:30.

Apeopleman

Why are you guys so paranoid about being robbed? You're at an event with hundreds of people all around you. As long as you're not the last person there, your car isn't a football field's length away, and you don't wear a shirt saying, "Rob me, I dare you," you've got nothing to worry about.

You must not live in the US.

There are social degenerates out there with nothing to lose. They will risk a year in prison to rob someone of 400$ in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom