• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

th4tguy

Why are you guys so paranoid about being robbed? You're at an event with hundreds of people all around you. As long as you're not the last person there, your car isn't a football field's length away, and you don't wear a shirt saying, "Rob me, I dare you," you've got nothing to worry about.

Day after launch, you are going to see at least a dozen news stories of people getting mugged on the way to their car after picking up their new console. It just happens.

Why are you guys so paranoid about being robbed? You're at an event with hundreds of people all around you. As long as you're not the last person there, your car isn't a football field's length away, and you don't wear a shirt saying, "Rob me, I dare you," you've got nothing to worry about.

Of course people are being paranoid, but when was the last time you hung out in a parking lot at 1am with $500 in your wallet? And in this scenario, EVERYONE knows how much is in your wallet, lol.

Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber.gif

lmao isn't 6 hours in there 1 minute outside the chamber.

you just extended the time :p

DBZ Debbie downer .

I'm tempted to go by a wal mart or best buy to see the crowds , love console launches .

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Day after launch, you are going to see at least a dozen news stories of people getting mugged on the way to their car after picking up their new console. It just happens.

a dozen stories out of 1M+ purchases.

anddo0

BB also put up an FAQ.

Q: What time should I arrive at the store on the night of the midnight opening?
A: We are anticipating lines to form at many of our stores so we recommend that you arrive early. The processing of pre-orders will begin up to 2 hours before midnight and will begin with the front of the line and continue in the order that people arrived. While your pre-order may be processed before midnight, no consoles will be given to customers until after 12:01 a.m.

I'll be there between 7-9PM.

BadHand

I pre-ordered in store at FutureShop (Canada). I asked a staff member a few days ago and she said she didn't know about a midnight launch - I hope there is.

I couldn't get an answer from my local Wal-Mart for a while but this week they confirmed midnight launch is a Gooooooooooooooo!

Take home and update. DL some digital games and go out to Target at 8:00 for B2G1 games and maybe a second console if it is sitting there.

I couldn't get an answer from my local Wal-Mart for a while but this week they confirmed midnight launch is a Gooooooooooooooo!

Take home and update. DL some digital games and go out to Target at 8:00 for B2G1 games and maybe a second console if it is sitting there.

Are there any other places doing B2G1 besides target?

Of course people are being paranoid, but when was the last time you hung out in a parking lot at 1am with $500 in your wallet? And in this scenario, EVERYONE knows how much is in your wallet, lol.

The Gamestop by me had 7 cop cars sitting right next to the parking lot of the Gamestop. Talked to the manager and he said for the PS4 there will be more than that, I'm not surprised it's a hot item and something that some people will target.

Ghekkus

I don't think so, but you could try to see if Wal-Mart or Best Buy will match the offer. I doubt they will, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

There is an image floating around somewhere that says Amazon will starting on the 10th.

Edit: Beaten.

daveo42

Banned
My friend and I are headed to our local Gamestop at about 530pm on the 14th to get in line. We have our consoles already preorder there, but we're going for the excitement of a console launch and to hang out with others getting their system that night. Should be a blast, I just hope it's not too chilly.

okayfrog

Banned

Hung out: You don't hang out there. You get in line, you stay in line, then you walk a short distance to your car.
1am: Never. I get there early enough to where I'm not near the end of the line.
$500: Credit card, dude.

Aesthet1c

I've got mine reserved at Gamestop, so I'll probably just plan on being there around 11:00-11:30. My local GS is pretty good about handling orders fast once midnight hits so it still shouldn't be too big of a wait for me.

Loakum

Banned
How early you guys think people will be waiting outside the stores?

perhaps 1 to 2 hours prior. I don't think folks will be waiting days prior in line, like folks did this gen. this gen we didn't have the option of pre orders, something next gen is making full use of.

BadHand

My friend and I are headed to our local Gamestop at about 530pm on the 14th to get in line. We have our consoles already preorder there, but we're going for the excitement of a console launch and to hang out with others getting their system that night. Should be a blast, I just hope it's not too chilly.

I read that three times in shock before I realized my error - I read that as "My friend and I headed to our local gamestop at 5:30pm and are 14th in line". I thought the parking-lot camping had already started.

Darksol

I work until 10PM that night, and then head all of a block away to await the release. Paid in full, just want to be a part of the madness.

Anyone got some more info on how Target will do things? Or is it really as simple as come in at 8?

How many non-preorder units do you think stores will have? I have a preorder at Amazon so if end all be all I'll be fine, but I much rather get it out of state because of tax reasons.

VXLbeast

Wish I knew where they had units for sale not preordered. I kinda want to camp out for one and cancel my Amazon order.

Never had the "camping out" experience and want to do this too. Plus I never bothered to pre-order (don't really need one that bad).

How early do you guys think I need to arrive to, say, Best Buy in order to secure myself a PS4? If I got there around 5 or 6, I feel like that wouldn't be nearly early enough. What do you guys suggest?

Found it. Credit goes to whoever asked, lol.

So any guesses if this starts at midnight or sometime during the day on 11-10?

Also does Amazon "time" go by Pacific or Eastern time zone?

I'd much rather do this than go to Target in the morning.

This os the only time I'm glad to be working in retail. On the 14th I scheduled myself to work the midnight launch so I will sell all but one console that I am saving for myself. Doesn't make up for working retail, but it is a perk.

Gerbs

Neo Member
Thanks for the confirmation, but I can't believe that 4 stores is all they are doing. Oh well, 8am it is.

Yeah I couldn't believe it at first either. Maybe has something to do with the security they would need. I'll line up at 7AM.

My local GameStop about a 10 minute walk from my house will be having a MidNight launch for both the PS4 and Xbox One. :D

For the PS4, It's already starting to snow and get really cold, and honestly I don't want to miss school or ask for a day off on Friday, and I have no friends going, and honestly I don't really find it worth going alone since I'll probably get robbed (I can't drive) walking home, so I probably won't go to the PS4 midnight launch, not worth it. I do really want to go though so I can compare the crowd size and audience from the PS4 midnight launch to the Xbox One Midnight launch, since I'll go for that one with friends.

I hope I can get a ride from my sister to drive me there at 11:55, and drive me home when I pick it up, since I do kind of want to get it at Midnight, just for the experience.

MilkBeard

Gonna head to the Best Buy midnight launch in Seattle after I get off from work. I will be arriving only shortly before midnight but I have a preorder so it's all good. I just want to get that midnight launch feeling. I missed the one they did for the WiiU. I totally would have gone if I knew they were going to open at midnight.

will be going to gamestop to get ps4 at midnight...check to see if Target is open at midnight to get games on b2g1 deal...if not, go to walmart to match the deal

I'll just be viewing the midnight launch from youtube videos and twitter this launch. I think I'll try holding my Amazon order at UPS instead of waiting for it.

I have an Amazon launch preorder but I'm also going to try Best Buy.

I preordered at Best Buy in August on a whim, and they said that if you preordered then you get the console on launch. What did everyone else's BB say?

Gaz_RB

My gamestop in my small Montana town is doing a midnight launch, so I assume most Gamestops will.

Gonna be fucking cold waiting, though. I'm ready.

MilkBeard

I have an Amazon launch preorder but I'm also going to try Best Buy.

I preordered at Best Buy in August on a whim, and they said that if you preordered then you get the console on launch. What did everyone else's BB say?

I preordered the first day that it was available to do so, I think it was the day of or after the reveal.

You get your console at launch unless Best Buy told you otherwise, if they ran out of units. I think there were some people who were afraid that Best Buy took too many preorders, but as far as I know, if you want the system you should be there when the store opens just to be safe.

I preordered the first day that it was available to do so, I think it was the day of or after the reveal.

You get your console at launch unless Best Buy told you otherwise, if they ran out of units. I think there were some people who were afraid that Best Buy took too many preorders, but as far as I know, if you want the system you should be there when the store opens just to be safe.

Yeah I plan on going at midnight. Just found it odd that the woman I spoke to said such a blanket statement: "if you preorderedt then you'll get it at launch." I'm going to check in again just before launch anyways.

NoTacos

Im picking mine up after class. We have class at the local theater located just outside of campus and gamestop is right next door. Also don't have a means of transporting the goods home safely at night so mid day would be the best option.

I just called my Gamestop to see if I could still pre-order and they kind of laughed and said no. I asked how it looks if you did not pre-order.

The guy on the other line said, " do not expect to see any until February on shelves "

Ouch .... OUCH.

Quickly called Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Frys, etc. and got the same story over and over. Can't pre-order still, and do not expect to see anything on shelves for awhile.

AUGHHHH

BUT, I did find Game Trade, a little local shop down the road like a wanna-be Gamestop that said they are taking pre-orders up until the 7th. I asked if those are guaranteed Day 1 type of things and he said no. Just gets you in the line.

Top Bottom