• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

Tekniqs

My gamestop is doing the "ticket-number" system. The manager told me to get there at around 5:45 to get the number ticket.

so is it first come first serve basis? then what's the point of pre-ordering?

anyhoo, local GS employee stated they'll hold systems up to 72 hours so I'm sure that isn't the case

so is it first come first serve basis? then what's the point of pre-ordering?

anyhoo, local GS employee stated they'll hold systems up to 72 hours so I'm sure that isn't the case
Thats the ticket thing for preorders its not first come first serve. Its first come first served with preorders. They still wont give those preorders away.
I hinted at him that I was still quite interested in the ps4 even though I didn't have it on pre-order.

He's basing this off the statement made by an SCEA rep (I think). Regardless, I'm going to bug them in the next few days and see if they are getting extras.

He's pretty confident about it, and the gamestop is located in a popular area. Hopefully we will see numbers this week.
Thank god! lol.. Its really nothing but like you im gonna ask my GS too otherwise im chilling at walmart, target or bestbuy to cop it.

Mr.Fresh

Gonna get to GS early. I live in a Bad neighborhood but I preordered in a good one so I should be fine. But I'm still kind of iffy about going since I was at the mall during the Shooting on Monday and that's a good neighborhood too. But fuck it Yolo I want ma PS4! Lol. I have Killzone staring me in the face everyday I need to go get it!

coughlanio

Wish I knew where they had units for sale not preordered. I kinda want to camp out for one and cancel my Amazon order.

Just sniff around stores on the 14th or so, get chatting to a manager, be polite and just ask straight out. 99.99% of the time they'll tell you straight out whether you'd have a good chance of getting one or not, as they should have their units in stock by then.

Tekniqs

Gonna get to GS early. I live in a Bad neighborhood but I preordered in a good one so I should be fine. But I'm still kind of iffy about going since I was at the mall during the Shooting on Monday and that's a good neighborhood too. But fuck it Yolo I want ma PS4! Lol. I have Killzone staring me in the face everyday I need to go get it!

last time I was at midnight launch at a local GS, they had cops in the parking lot...is that the norm?

Thats the ticket thing for preorders its not first come first serve. Its first come first served with preorders. They still wont give those preorders away.

Thank god! lol.. Its really nothing but like you im gonna ask my GS too otherwise im chilling at walmart, target or bestbuy to cop it.
Wait, so if I was the first preorder and the last preorder is in line before me he gets it if they run out?

Surfaced

Neo Member
ATTENTION

Unfortunately in 2006, we had the Sony Metreon, the place to be for the PS3 launch. The next best thing is probably the Sony Store, and while there doesn't seem to be any articles online, I have been told in person by employees that many sony stores are expected to have midnight launches.

I asked Sid Shuman from SCEA's Social Media team about Sony-sponsored launch events , particularly in the Bay Area.

He said info is coming early next week.

It's late I know, but there will indeed by Sony-run launch events, or at least there will be one in the Bay Area.

Really is too bad about the Metreon, though. Historic for PlayStation hardware launches.

ps-3-launch.jpg

Mr.Fresh

last time I was at midnight launch at a local GS, they had cops in the parking lot...is that the norm?

In my city it's usually like that for System launches, and big games (COD, GTA). People are probly scared because all of the recent shootings in random places.

Wait, so if I was the first preorder and the last preorder is in line before me he gets it if they run out?
Yes, but why would they run out? Dont think like that.

edit: This is what they do say they got 6 groups.. And the 30th dude to preorder gets his ticket first. He will be in group 1, the first group to get hes preorder out the store. Preorder number doesnt apply here.

Sony Store located in 10250 Santa Monica Boulevard, Century City is prepping for a midnight launch event for the PS4. We will be receiving a lot of units for the midnight launch to cater for our pre-order guests and also for our guests who couldn't get a chance to pre-order the console, you can buy the system during the event on a first come first serve basis. Will keep you guys updated.

Sony Store located in 10250 Santa Monica Boulevard, Century City is prepping for a midnight launch event for the PS4. We will be receiving a lot of units for the midnight launch to cater for our pre-order guests and also for our guests who couldn't get a chance to pre-order the console, you can buy the system during the event on a first come first serve basis. Will keep you guys updated.
Awesome I hope other stores also are like that. I live by zero sony stores the closest is 40 miles away lol

Manager told me they have about 50 pre-orders and to show up at 11 pm for the midnight launch. He's not expecting too much craziness because they are having people pay off the system beforehand, if you didn't you have to wait till the end. He also told me there will be numerous cop cars there, they had 6 for the GTAV launch and he told me to expect a few more than that.

rCIZZLE

Still on the fence about going to the midnight launch. Was 100% sure I was going to wait at least a year but now I'm getting caught up in the hype again.

PS3 2006 U.S. launch

ps3_tents.jpg

bestbuy_philadelphia_ps3.jpg

That's the exact store I went to for the Wii launch. Only had to wait from about 7pm until they opened around 9am so no tents for our line.

mishakoz

In Canada at bestbuy and FS all stores open for XBOX ONE midnight while for PS4 its practically the complete opposite, 3 stores for FS canada wide and none for BB. Something if wrong.

It might be just a staffing thing, after all they prob have to pay overtime and such for midnight launches, they might just have more employees available on the 22nd because of thanksgiving break up ahead.

mishakoz

You work there? ive heard rumblings of devs/sony brass showing up. any word on that?

edit: sorry double post, used to be on a board where it would auto into one.

samman6

Do they do midnight launches in Europe? I am living in EU now I have no preorder but thinking of going to Germany (closest country to me with 29th release date) to try and buy, any advice ?

daveo42

Banned
Anyone showing up to the pre-event this Sunday as well at their local Gamestop? Still not sure what's going to happen, but it might be worth a look.

I read that three times in shock before I realized my error - I read that as "My friend and I headed to our local gamestop at 5:30pm and are 14th in line". I thought the parking-lot camping had already started.

Yeah, the wording there probably isn't the best.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's strange. Mine said I could pick it up anytime and it'll be there.

lol

Obviously some of us haven't done a good job of explaining the ticket system. It has nothing to do with which consoles are being held or who leaves the store with a PS4 versus who doesn't. It is just the difference between driving home at 12:05, 12:15 or 12:23. Yes, the guy who pre-ordered last might get the first PS4 sold but everyone will get their pre-order.

Ricker

My EBGames(Gamestop still here in Canada)where I pre-ordered is in a shopping mall so they can't open at midnight...they will open on the 15th at 8 in the morning,instead of 9:30...still it sucks that if there's like 30 people in front of me,waiting outside or whatever,I will have to wait in line to get mine,even if I am second on the list.They told me they have at least 100 pre-orders but I have a guarantee they will keep mine if I go Saturday after the rush though so I might do that if the line is too long on Friday...

EDIT: Unless they do the ticket thing like some of you mentioned but the guy working there yesterday didnt mention anything about that..

macewank

So here's a crazy question..

Since i'm going to have to camp outside Best Buy for several hours, and the forecast is calling for rain, I'm thinking about picking up a tent for me and 2 others to chill in while we mario kart. What would you folks recommend? Obviously, given the use case, I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money.

bumpkin

Yeah... I have zero plans of showing up to line up for my PS4 earlier than an hour or two at most. Really depends on if the weather is nice or if it's brutal.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah... I have zero plans of showing up to line up for my PS4 earlier than an hour or two at most. Really depends on if the weather is nice or if it's brutal.

pretty much this. All I care about is getting my PS4 in enough time that I can get home, apply the firmware, and get the Knack and KZ downloads started so I can go to bed and wake up to play both.

Still debating on calling Time Warner before then and bumping my Internet up to 30Mb (currently 15Mb)

Gamestop PS4 Pre-Launch Details

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/mobile.view?c=130125&v=203&d=1&id=1873857

On November 10 Customers Can Bring in Trades to Help Pay-Off Their Pre-Ordered PS4

GRAPEVINE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 7, 2013-- GameStop (NYSE: GME), the world’s largest multichannel retailer of video games, is hosting pre-launch PS4 events on Sunday, November 10 at all U.S. GameStop store locations. The events will allow customers to bring in their pre-owned hardware, software, or consumer electronic trade-ins early to pay-off their pre-ordered Sony PlayStation 4 consoles, as well as purchase available games and/or accessories.

As part of the one-day event celebration, GameStop will provide customers a special hardware trade-in offer on their pre-owned systems when applied toward paying off their pre-ordered PS4 console*. Customers will triple their bonus credit when they trade in a system, resulting in 90 percent extra in-store credit on top of their system’s original value.

“Utilizing GameStop’s buy-sell-trade model, our customers will receive the most value for their current generation consoles and games, something no other retailer is offering,” said Darron Nielsen, senior merchant of GameStop. “This allows consumers the ability to purchase a PS4 at a more affordable price, making it more accessible for gaming fans.”

In addition to the special trade offer, each store location will provide customers a chance to receive giveaway items, experience a host of fun activities and refreshments to help build excitement for the November 15th launch of the PS4. Select GameStop stores will also have fully-functional PS4 units available to play, providing gaming fans of all ages the chance to experience hands-on time with some of their favorite titles.

With the launch of the Sony PlayStation 4 console just around the corner, GameStop is finalizing plans to make that day an exciting opportunity for customers. All eligible GameStop stores will remain open the evening of November 14 for the midnight release of the PS4. The PS4 will go on sale at approximately 12:01 a.m. on November 15 for all customers who pre-ordered the console. For a complete listing of all U.S. GameStop store locations, visit www.gamestop.com.

* In-store credit must be applied toward the pre-order of a new PS4 system. Pre-owned hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full trade value.

About GameStop Corp.

GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME), a Fortune 500 and S&P 500 company headquartered in Grapevine, Texas, is the world's largest multichannel video game retailer. GameStop's global retail network and family of brands include 6,544 company-operated stores in 15 countries and online at www.GameStop.com. The network also includes: www.Kongregate.com, a leading browser-based game site; Game Informer® magazine, the leading multi-platform video game publication; Spawn Labs, a streaming technology company; a digital PC game distribution platform available at www.GameStop.com/PC; and an online consumer electronics trade-in platform available at www.BuyMyTronics.com.

General information on GameStop Corp. can be obtained at the company's corporate website. Follow GameStop on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/GameStop and find GameStop on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/GameStop.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
As part of the one-day event celebration, GameStop will provide customers a special hardware trade-in offer on their pre-owned systems when applied toward paying off their pre-ordered PS4 console*. Customers will triple their bonus credit when they trade in a system, resulting in 90 percent extra in-store credit on top of their system’s original value.

Guess I should have waited to trade in that Wii U, huh?
ibcu0O6lnI7Krb.png

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm feeling really dumb for cancelling my pre-order. Has there been any word on what kind of stock stores are expecting? I would love to get a launch day console but not enough to camp out.

jaaz

So, no reports of anyone in line and camping out already? Only 7 days to go, and I could swear that in 2006 there were already people in line 7 days before the launch of the PS3...

Ouroboros

Ugh,

I am so glad I preordered my launch day on amazon. I never saw the point at midnight launches...

By the time you buy the system and go home its already 1am. Maybe I'm just an old man but I'd be too tired to install a game and play it and still enjoy it.

Friday @ 5pm it is.

bennycash

Neo Member
Wait, why are people worried about their Gamestop preorder? I was in there recently and the associate told me since I preordered so early in June I am guaranteed to get one. I was planning on going after work on Friday, so should I reconsider and at least go at midnight. Not sure what the point of a preorder is then.

Wait, why are people worried about their Gamestop preorder? I was in there recently and the associate told me since I preordered so early in June I am guaranteed to get one. I was planning on going after work on Friday, so should I reconsider and at least go at midnight. Not sure what the point of a preorder is then.

I better be guaranteed to get mine since I already prepaid.

Garland7G

Actually I've seen the cops at a few different GS midnight launches, so I'd say its normal. I expect to see them there this time too.

If you got your preorder in you're fine. The numbers GS hands out at the midnight launch is only your place in line. Since its obviously better to be 1st in line than last, its recommended that you get there early to get a decent spot. If you are last, you should still get a console.

bennycash

Neo Member
Actually I've seen the cops at a few different GS midnight launches, so I'd say its normal. I expect to see them there this time too.

If you got your preorder in you're fine. The numbers GS hands out at the midnight launch is only your place in line. Since its obviously better to be 1st in line than last, its recommended that you get there early to get a decent spot. If you are last, you should still get a console.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The associate did tell me they keep preorders for up to 24 hours, which I think is wrong because I keep reading 48 hours, but anyway, I may just got at midnight.

My EBGames(Gamestop still here in Canada)where I pre-ordered is in a shopping mall so they can't open at midnight...they will open on the 15th at 8 in the morning,instead of 9:30...still it sucks that if there's like 30 people in front of me,waiting outside or whatever,I will have to wait in line to get mine,even if I am second on the list.They told me they have at least 100 pre-orders but I have a guarantee they will keep mine if I go Saturday after the rush though so I might do that if the line is too long on Friday...

EDIT: Unless they do the ticket thing like some of you mentioned but the guy working there yesterday didnt mention anything about that..

I imagine that two or three hours later the rush won't be so bad. Just go in the middle of the work day on Friday. There will be a line but it won't be the morning rush.

I'm planning on waiting a couple of hours after the morning rush to pick mine up.

Had mine full paid off in july at GS. I would much rather go the next morning but i'm willing to go exactly at midnight. It would be bullshit if people with no preorders are getting the system before people who did. I'll wait till at least next weds to give them a call. If they have enough to fulfill my preorder i'll just go at 11.

rCIZZLE

I'm thinking of cancelling all my pre orders and standing in line . Which is the best place for me ?

Best Buy seems to be the most reliable from what I'm reading. If I end up deciding to try my luck getting one that's where I'll be going. What I'm wondering is how to get the number of extra PS4s they'll have to estimate how early I should be going. Noon is about the earliest I want to show up.

Guess I should have waited to trade in that Wii U, huh?
ibcu0O6lnI7Krb.png

Wow, now I'm really regretting not preordering one at gamestop. Would have been an easy decision to trade in my 360 which apparently they're buying at $110 without counting any trade in bonuses.

DoctorZ

Went in to GS to pay off my preorder with credit and ended up spending like 45 min to an hour in there as they almost messed stuff up real bad.

I go in, want to pay off my preorder with credit, there is about $330 left after the initial $100 deposit. The cashier accidentaly rang the transaction up as cash instead of using my credit. For some reason they could not just take off the cash and were told by higher ups that they would have to cancel my preorder and set one aside or else they'd be missing $330 in cash from the register that day since I never gave it to them. After another call to the higher ups they decided to keep my preorder, but someone would need to manually remove the cash the next day.

In the process the manager ended up divulging that they have 80 preorders and that they are being allocated 90 PS4's and to not worry if they had to cancel mine as they will be getting plenty to set one aside. I can't speak to other gamestops, but this one in orange county is apparantly getting 10 extra (how many will get to customers is anyone's guess). Although, only those with preorders will be allowed to buy them at midnight. Those 10 will go on sale the following day, Friday.

How they are handling the preorders seems to be the ticket system others have mentioned. Show up before the midnight launch and pay off the PS4 and get a ticket with a number that corresponds to a PS4 that they have. Glad that only 80 people max will show up.

pelican

Do they do midnight launches in Europe? I am living in EU now I have no preorder but thinking of going to Germany (closest country to me with 29th release date) to try and buy, any advice ?

I can't talk about continental Europe, but here in the UK midnight launches are fairly common for high profile releases.

Went in to GS to pay off my preorder with credit and ended up spending like 45 min to an hour in there as they almost messed stuff up real bad.

I go in, want to pay off my preorder with credit, there is about $330 left after the initial $100 deposit. The cashier accidentaly rang the transaction up as cash instead of using my credit. For some reason they could not just take off the cash and were told by higher ups that they would have to cancel my preorder and set one aside or else they'd be missing $330 in cash from the register that day since I never gave it to them. After another call to the higher ups they decided to keep my preorder, but someone would need to manually remove the cash the next day.

In the process the manager ended up divulging that they have 80 preorders and that they are being allocated 90 PS4's and to not worry if they had to cancel mine as they will be getting plenty to set one aside. I can't speak to other gamestops, but this one in orange county is apparantly getting 10 extra (how many will get to customers is anyone's guess). Although, only those with preorders will be allowed to buy them at midnight. Those 10 will go on sale the following day, Friday.

How they are handling the preorders seems to be the ticket system others have mentioned. Show up before the midnight launch and pay off the PS4 and get a ticket with a number that corresponds to a PS4 that they have. Glad that only 80 people max will show up.
This is the best news I heard. I got credit in GS wouldnt like to go spend cash elsewhere.

The Sony Store in the Galleria? Come on bra, that place is safe.

Smh...who said I was scared?? I said I didnt want any bs. Basically they are waffling on having two lines, one for preorders and one for those who didnt. I just dont want no bs when I get there. Preorders better b givin priority. The whole scared thing was me replying to someone who was saying they were scared of getting mugged or something.

Top Bottom