• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

Eh, sorry if I jumped down your throat a bit. As a Canadian, that's just a way of living that's totally foreign to me. Cultural thing.

Glad you're at least not one of those looking forward to using your weapon.

Uh, I find it pretty weird as well and I'm american. Scary. Whatever makes you feel safe though, I guess.

kyoakuma

Banned
If it makes you feel safe, fair enough. Just makes me nervous thinking people bring concealed weapons to these kinds of events. Knowing I'm not the one with the gun makes me a tad anxious & unsafe. It's hard to trust people.

Like others have said, if it gets that bad I'd probably pass, or wait.

keep in mind, you have to have a clean record, and when i say clean, i mean spotless, to get a CCW.

Funny thing, my state is a open carry state, if you legally own your gun, you can openly carry it on your hip if you have it holstered, wide open, and nobody can make you do a thing (unless they are a cop lol)

kyoakuma

Banned
keep in mind, you have to have a clean record, and when i say clean, i mean spotless, to get a CCW.

Funny thing, my state is a open carry state, if you legally own your gun, you can openly carry it on your hip if you have it holstered, wide open, and nobody can make you do a thing (unless they are a cop lol)

on a more positive, non gun toting liberal note, my GS will have about 100+ at the store. I am paying it off tomorrow and getting my ticket on thursday at lunch. I hope to get a low number to get out fast.

How did a thread about the PS4s midnight launch turn into a mini CCW debate? lol

For the record I CCW 24/7 so in the launch line I will have my pistol on me. The thing a lot of CCW permit holders need to realize is unless your state has a stand your ground law if you use your firearm in a 1 on 1 encounter you'll most likely get a man slaughter charge as most states are "duty to retreat" states.

You don't need to bring a gun to the PS4 launch unless you live in the hood. LMAO. It's more likely to go off by accident and get somebody killed just because you worked yourself up in paranoia.

I have been to launches in Southern California, ghetto parts of new jersey, and various parts of florida and never once have I seen any dangerous situations occur. I think once there was a small argument over who was first in line but that was about it.

Dart

on a more positive, non gun toting liberal note, my GS will have about 100+ at the store. I am paying it off tomorrow and getting my ticket on thursday at lunch. I hope to get a low number to get out fast.

Yeah, our Wal-Mart will have 200+ ready. Not sure how many of those are pre-orders but I would imagine not many, coming from a pro Xbox area in WA state.

Actually I have no problems with guns as long as they're in the right hands. Guns are sorta foreign to me, being 21 & basically never held or seen one in person. Maybe some hunting rifles in display cases but that's it.

Needless to say I actually would like to learn guns... & stuff.

MilkBeard

Yeah, our Wal-Mart will have 200+ ready. Not sure how many of those are pre-orders but I would imagine not many, coming from a pro Xbox area in WA state.

Actually I have no problems with guns as long as they're in the right hands. Guns are sorta foreign to me, being 21 & basically never held or seen one in person. Maybe some hunting rifles in display cases but that's it.

Needless to say I actually would like to learn guns... & stuff.

Where in Washington? I'm Seattle. Don't know of any Gamestops nearby doing a midnight launch. Best Buy is, though.

John Wayne

Neo Member
I'll be hitting up Gamestop on midnight. Should be fun enough. I'm not expecting many people there so lets see.

And let me get this straight. I can go at 6pm and finalize my preorder and get a receipt. Then I can go at around 1130ish and be able to get in front of the line? Am I right or am I just dumb. lol

Josam27o7

Neo Member
Eh, sorry if I jumped down your throat a bit. As a Canadian, that's just a way of living that's totally foreign to me. Cultural thing.

Glad you're at least not one of those looking forward to using your weapon.

It's just video games ... crazy Americans. I can't believe that country lets you have a gun. It's the USA, the country of ignorance that worships the greed of the rich that impoverishes their citizens.

Radec

PS3 2006 U.S. launch

ps3_tents.jpg

bestbuy_philadelphia_ps3.jpg

Are they camping for days ?

so I assume they don't take showers for the whole duration right ?

:|

satori

Havent you heard? If you dont shower for weeks apparently your ass smells like sweet roses. Well according to that one thread in OT :p

MilkBeard

I don't understand the whole camping out thing, especially when Best Buy lets the people who preorder get their console first.

Actually, I wonder if it was different back in '06. Did they take preorders, or did you just have to wait on launch day and hope you get a console? Can't remember, my memory is fuzzy on that.

Order

I'm confused. If I don't go to the midnight launch and wait until the next day, they may have sold my console?

TriGen

About the weather -- it's looking like 32F and overcast.

As for launch details. I got a call yesterday from GS and they said arrive between 9-11:30 -- which is obviously different than on the site. I'm curious if the guy was wrong or if it is just my GS starting late? I do live in northern MI so it's not exactly a very busy town, just a bunch of retirees, so maybe they aren't getting as many units or something.

ReaperXL7

So where do you guys think the best place would be to send someone who did not preorder their console? I got mine from Amazon because I just dont have a need to stand in line for days/hours on end just to get a console anymore, however a friend of mine wants to buy one for his brother who is being shipped out soon (military) for his birthday.

Im considering just telling him to go to the Sony store thats semi close to us, but gamestop, walmart, target, and costco are all closer. The Sony store is also located at a mall and im not sure how that works for midnight launches.

mishakoz

So where do you guys think the best place would be to send someone who did not preorder their console? I got mine from Amazon because I just dont have a need to stand in line for days/hours on end just to get a console anymore, however a friend of mine wants to buy one for his brother who is being shipped out soon (military) for his birthday.

Im considering just telling him to go to the Sony store thats semi close to us, but gamestop, walmart, target, and costco are all closer. The Sony store is also located at a mall and im not sure how that works for midnight launches.

Sony Store is the best bet, then Best Buy, then Walmart, then Gamestop. Most Gamestops are just filling preorders.

Call the Sony Store first, but they will probably organize a midnight launch, and they will have the most extra units.

DoctorZ

I'm confused. If I don't go to the midnight launch and wait until the next day, they may have sold my console?

Not what I was told by the GS I preordered from. In fact they let me see their allocation numbers after they almost messed my preorder up so bad they would have to cancel it and put one aside for me manually. Glad it didn't come to taht though. They were getting 90 consoles and had 80 preorders. The manager said that was typical for the stores in the area, but said they would likely be gone first thing Friday morning as he expects there to be a few people camping since I wasn't the only person he told.

I went in again to check on my preorder as someone higher up had to manually fix it. They said things were fine with it now and its just like it was $100 down. He also said that the employees at each store are going to do whatever they can to make sure every preorder is covered since if someone makes a stink about it it'll make the manager's look terrible, especially since a lot of stores will be getting extra PS4's. Either they stupidly sold them to non-preorders, or kept them for themselves.

I'm going because I want it at midnight, get in on the zeitgeist. But I expect them to hold them like they say as it seems more organized this time around.

Milennia

When i did 3 days for the wii, we would leave the line all the time to go get food and go hime to shower etc. never an issue, was still first in line with over 1500 people by launch.

Whole bunch of people were doing it, if people think they are going to get a console they wont care.

Helscream

Banned
Updated with Gamestop info

Ok Correct if I am wrong here, but when it says

"Between 6pm and midnight is when we finalize your transaction. You will need to go to the register to receive your finalized purchase receipt. Finalizing the transaction is where we take your deposit, partial or full, and create a sale receipt. Our associates will assign you a Guest # to hold a place in line for you when midnight hits."

Are they saying that I can arrive at 6pm and make a purchase for a PS4 then wait to physically leave with the PS4 after 12am and basically be handed a receipt and a guest # for my place in line? Or are they saying if I have already made a purchase/deposit on a PS4 (like a pre-order) and I will receive a new receipt and a guest # for the line?

Ok Correct if I am wrong here, but when it says

"Between 6pm and midnight is when we finalize your transaction. You will need to go to the register to receive your finalized purchase receipt. Finalizing the transaction is where we take your deposit, partial or full, and create a sale receipt. Our associates will assign you a Guest # to hold a place in line for you when midnight hits."

Are they saying that I can arrive at 6pm and make a purchase for a PS4 then wait to physically leave with the PS4 after 12am and basically be handed a receipt and a guest # for my place in line? Or are they saying if I have already made a purchase/deposit on a PS4 (like a pre-order) and I will receive a new receipt and a guest # for the line?

Yeah it was the same for the GTA V release.

I went at 6:00pm, finalized my receipt. Received a " Group #1 " ticket and then left. I arrived back at 11:55pm and saw a massive 100+ person line, walked to the front of it, got into Group #1 line whenever the gamestop dude began sorting everyone, and walked out with the 2nd copy of GTAV.

So yeah, just go finalize, get your group # ticket, then come back whenever, could be 30 seconds before 12:00am.

But no the group # thing is for sorting the line, not any sort of reserved PS4 spot. You actually have to show up, get sorted into groups and then grab your console.

rjinaz

It's just video games ... crazy Americans. I can't believe that country lets you have a gun. It's the USA, the country of ignorance that worships the greed of the rich that impoverishes their citizens.

This thread is going places.

On topic. I would try Toys R Us, Sears, Target, Kmart. Those are the places I have had past success because less people think about them.

Delt31

quick question - haven't read every page so apologize if this has been answered.

ive pre ordered at best buy. Does that mean I still need to wait on line or can i just come at 12am and skip the lines and head to the pre order counter to pick up the one they're holding for me?

quick question - haven't read every page so apologize if this has been answered.

ive pre ordered at best buy. Does that mean I still need to wait on line or can i just come at 12am and skip the lines and head to the pre order counter to pick up the one they're holding for me?

Best buy will have a like for pre-orders and a line for people hoping to get one

I think I will call around Tuesday to see if I can get a more concrete picture of the situation.

Hopefully someone tells me they have a lot more units then they were expecting.

If that happens. I will camp out Thursday since I am off work that day, try and get it and then have the longest day ever friday at work if I do indeed walk out with one

Napophis

I talk to the EB Stockyards location in Toronto quite a bit. They have 250 consoles coming in for about 300 preorders. The guy there told me that they might only be calling the people who aren't getting their consoles since that will be the shorter list.

When did you order?

I ordered in June and they said I'm definitely getting mine. I don't expect a call though.

I ordered it in June as well, i was around 35ish on the list

Azure J

The comments on the first two pages make me really happy Amazon exists. I don't know how long I'd last braving these cold ass NYC nights at one of my usual buying places if I did a midnight launch.

santeesioux

On topic. I would try Toys R Us, Sears, Target, Kmart. Those are the places I have had past success because less people think about them.

in today's Kmart ad it said that they would only be selling ps4s to members, and doesn't mention anything about a midnight release. Might work if you are a member and don't want to go out at midnight.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I spoke with a Best Buy rep here and when I tried asking how many ps4s they were going to get besides pre-orders, at first he told me that he couldn't tell. Then He cryptically told me that there is going to be more than the amount of fingers and toes that he has. Sounds good to me.

The gamestop said to call wednesday, hahahahaha.

a916

Any word on what swag people might be getting? I've seen some cool PS4 shirts, I'll never say no to a cool shirt....

jdmonmou

Just speaking from experience...

I pre-ordered my Wii U deluxe edition at a Best Buy last year since GameStop sold out of pre-orders. The Best Buy didn't do a midnight launch, so you may want to call yours up and ask if they plan on having a midnight launch event.

I went to the store about an hour after it opened the next morning and they had all the Wii U's in the back labeled with customers' names on them. They were holding it for me, so there was no danger of it being sold to someone else.

So you should be able to skip the lines of people waiting who don't have a pre-order. In fact, they may just tell everyone without a pre-order to go home. The only line you should have to deal with are the people who have pre-ordered.

Josam27o7

Neo Member

When someone mentions bringing a gun to a midnight launch a response is needed. The person who wants to bring a gun should be looked at funny, not the one who responds.

Jeels

I want a cool shirt or miscellaneous swag. :( But I doubt Best Buy would do anything cool like that. Too bad I didn't preorder at the Sony store in Houston.

Knoxcore

The comments on the first two pages make me really happy Amazon exists. I don't know how long I'd last braving these cold ass NYC nights at one of my usual buying places if I did a midnight launch.

It's great for people who already preordered on Amazon, but what about the people who missed out. I seriously doubt Amazon will have extra stock and if they do it will likely sell out in an instant. Any info on this? Will Amazon have extra stock?

macewank

Any US Best Buy folks got the skinny on how many unallocated units (no preorder attached) each store should be receiving? Similar to Canada (at least 25 per store) or?

Got a buddy who didn't pre-order, and he's gonna camp out with me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's great for people who already preordered on Amazon, but what about the people who missed out. I seriously doubt Amazon will have extra stock and if they do it will likely sell out in an instant. Any info on this? Will Amazon have extra stock?

I would say the Amazon ship has sailed. People who have pre-orders for the Standard edition will be upgraded to launch stock before they open up orders again.

MazeHaze

Banned
Any US Best Buy folks got the skinny on how many unallocated units (no preorder attached) each store should be receiving? Similar to Canada (at least 25 per store) or?

I have a friend who works at Best Buy and he told me they will have 108 consoles and only 38 preorders, so the first 70 people there can buy a system.

I haven't pre-ordered the system yet but part of me wants to get it as I get paid the day before it releases. But even then I'm not sure if I'll be able to land one.

satori

I stop by my best buy here in Oxnard, Ca and I was told they had 180 preorders but have around 240 units. Looks like my brother will be getting a PS4, good for him. Mostly around southern cali but it seems most best buy we called are having around 30+ units for those that did not preorder. A serious far cry from that crap back in 2006.

On another note as I got in the car with the wife hands me a best buy gift card with 460 dollars on it o_O. Today was a good day lol.

I looked at most of Wisconsin & the more populated areas got 90-120 while the smaller markets got between 30-60. I think I heard the highest was 200. Our store specifically has 25 free systems.

Seems solid to me (for Sony). If I was your friend I'd camp out early

Gspark

I find it really hard to believe that Best buy and Target will not be getting PS4s on launch day. Isn't Milwaukee a pretty big population center?

I think he is talking about the allocation of PS4's available. I called around some Best Buys in the Milwaukee area and they didn't know how many they were getting till Launch Day. It is possible they don't want to give out that information.

MazeHaze

Banned
And just for reference, the Target that is right down the street from Best Buy here has 10 preorders and is getting 10 consoles. So if you have to go to a second place other than Best Buy, I would go to Walmart over target.

phierce

I'm really curious...those of you who want it this bad to camp out...why in the fuck didn't you pre-order?

It's not like it was announced yesterday.

Makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom