• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Midnight Launches

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm really curious...those of you who want it this bad to camp out...why in the fuck didn't you pre-order?

It's not like it was announced yesterday.

Makes no sense to me.

I really didn't think I was going to get one right away, due to money and whatnot. Turns out I have just enough money to grab one and still have a few hundred dollars left in the bank, and I just can't take the hype anymore. I need to hold the PS4 against my body.

phierce

I really didn't think I was going to get one right away, due to money and whatnot. Turns out I have just enough money to grab one and still have a few hundred dollars left in the bank, and I just can't take the hype anymore. I need to hold the PS4 against my body.
Still makes no sense.

Gamestop was $50. Bestbuy was $25. Amazon was $0.

Pre-order early, cancel if you can't swing it.

Asinine to stress out about camping out 5 days prior to launch.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Take it with a grain of salt, but according to what I read on cag from a BB employee, If you're looking to buy the Unlocked Epic Gaming Bundle, you will be prioritized to the front of the line. This package is kinda expensive so I hope the crazy people who do want this wont outweigh my place in line.

Still makes no sense.

Gamestop requires a $100 deposit.

Why does it bother you? Some people don't realize they want it or don't have the funds, I shouldn't have to pre-order everything I have a passing interest in, now that's asinine.

MazeHaze

Banned
Still makes no sense.

I wasn't even in a position to drop 25 dollars on something I was unsure of during preorder season. Now I am financially ok, and it is kind of fun knowing I have to go hunt one down.

MARNEY

No midnight launches in Quebec. I have to wait until the stores open in the morning, but guaranteed day1 at BB & EB. Going to be a great day. Amazon order sould arrive monday or tuesday. 5 days off work. Can't wait.

FYI, my EB store manager told me that only 2 customers are allowed in the store at a time on launch day. A "head ofice decision", so i imagine this policy is in effect province wide. Bundle up on launch day if the weather is bad...

Alright, my launch plans are set in stone. Tell me GAF, am I going overboard?

I already have Knack, Killzone and the PS4 camera sitting on my shelf. My bag is packed, have a pillow, a few blankets, gloves, hat, snacks and a few bottles of water. The bag along with a camping chair is sitting in the trunk, ready to go. I'm gonna scope out my Best Buy on Wednesday night, if there are people already in line, I'll make the call right then if I want to hop in line or get there Thursday morning instead. I'm getting dropped off and picked up, it will make for a slightly quicker exit. I'm also carrying a knife and a dummy wallet in case shit goes south. I don't anticipate it will, but you never know.

I plan on sitting in my chair reading GAF, listening to podcasts and drinking coffee.
Bring on the madness.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Alright, my launch plans are set in stone. Tell me GAF, am I going overboard?

I already have Knack, Killzone and the PS4 camera sitting on my shelf. My bag is packed, have a pillow, a few blankets, gloves, hat, snacks and a few bottles of water. The bag along with a camping chair is sitting in the trunk, ready to go. I'm gonna scope out my Best Buy on Wednesday night, if there are people already in line, I'll make the call right then if I want to hop in line or get there Thursday morning instead. I'm getting dropped off and picked up, it will make for a slightly quicker exit. I'm also carrying a knife and a dummy wallet in case shit goes south. I don't anticipate it will, but you never know.

I plan on sitting in my chair reading GAF, listening to podcasts and drinking coffee.
Bring on the madness.

Are you really going to drink coffee? That's going to make you need to go to the bathroom, wouldnt that make you lose your spot?

Are you really going to drink coffee? That's going to make you need to go to the bathroom, wouldnt that make you lose your spot?
I'll probably have one or two. As far as going to the bathroom, I'm assuming I'll be allowed to have a friend hold my spot while I run to the Target next door for a minute. If not, I'll avoid all liquids.

Shadow780

Is there two lines for people who pre-ordered already and wants to pick up at midnight and people who didn't but wants one?

DoctorZ

My friend always goes out for BF. As long as there is an orderly line, he says that people typically save eachothers' places and make food runs and such for eachother. He said one year someone brought an electric kettle and was giving everyone free instant coffee.

I've never gone to a launch line or BF line so I have no diea if he just gets in line next to nice people or what. I always imagine it to be cutthroat out there.

_Isaac

Is there two lines for people who pre-ordered already and wants to pick up at midnight and people who didn't but wants one?

You didn't specify a store, but I looked up Best Buy's FAQ and it looks like there will be separate lines.

"Q: How will the lines be handled for these midnight openings?
A: Most of our stores will create two separate lines: one for pre-order customers and one for customers looking to purchase a console from the available limited quantities. Some stores may need to operate differently, however all of our stores will be utilizing signage to manage their lines along with employee assistance to ensure everyone is aware of the process throughout the day. Stores will begin to process pre-order customers prior to processing any customers looking to purchase a console."

Shadow780

You didn't specify a store, but I looked up Best Buy's FAQ and it looks like there will be separate lines.

"Q: How will the lines be handled for these midnight openings?
A: Most of our stores will create two separate lines: one for pre-order customers and one for customers looking to purchase a console from the available limited quantities. Some stores may need to operate differently, however all of our stores will be utilizing signage to manage their lines along with employee assistance to ensure everyone is aware of the process throughout the day. Stores will begin to process pre-order customers prior to processing any customers looking to purchase a console."

That's awesome, exactly what they needs to do.

I hope that best buy memo / faq gets passed around at my local store. I pre ordered literally hours after Sony's conference at e3; was one of the first 10 pre orders at the store, A month or so ago the guy told me that it wasn't dependent on que or priority of pre order. Just pre orders get theirs first, but it's first come first serve as there may not be enough stock for all pre orders. I was so pissed,lol. They also wouldn't let me pay of the rset of my purchase unless I cancelled, put it on a gift card then re ordered....FFS, seriously. Glad to hear things are probably all good now. I'll run down there tomorrow to make sure.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
My friend always goes out for BF. As long as there is an orderly line, he says that people typically save eachothers' places and make food runs and such for eachother. He said one year someone brought an electric kettle and was giving everyone free instant coffee.

I've never gone to a launch line or BF line so I have no diea if he just gets in line next to nice people or what. I always imagine it to be cutthroat out there.

That's interesting, I hope this is the case. Sounds better than starving myself for two days at least.

I hope that best buy memo / faq gets passed around at my local store. I pre ordered literally hours after Sony's conference at e3; was one of the first 10 pre orders at the store, A month or so ago the guy told me that it wasn't dependent on que or priority of pre order. Just pre orders get theirs first, but it's first come first serve as there may not be enough stock for all pre orders. I was so pissed,lol. They also wouldn't let me pay of the rset of my purchase unless I cancelled, put it on a gift card then re ordered....FFS, seriously. Glad to hear things are probably all good now. I'll run down there tomorrow to make sure.

I went to BB today and was told something similar. Preorders don't have a name attached to them so basically if you don't show up at midnight they can sell your unit because to them your preorder is basically credit down on the system, not a reserve.

_Isaac

I went to BB today and was told something similar. Preorders don't have a name attached to them so basically if you don't show up at midnight they can sell your unit because to them your preorder is basically credit down on the system, not a reserve.

The FAQ says you don't have to show up at midnight to make sure you get your console.

"Q: Do I need to be at the midnight opening event at my location to pick up my pre-ordered console?
A: All pre-orders will be held for 8 days after launch so you do not need to attend the midnight opening at your location. After 8 days, any orders that have not been picked up will be cancelled and made available for purchase to others. This includes pre-orders for hardware, software and accessories."

phierce

I wasn't even in a position to drop 25 dollars on something I was unsure of during preorder season. Now I am financially ok, and it is kind of fun knowing I have to go hunt one down.
No offense, but if you're unsure of your next $25, you probably shouldn't be worried about making a $400 purchase. Either way, good luck picking one up.

Why does it bother you? Some people don't realize they want it or don't have the funds, I shouldn't have to pre-order everything I have a passing interest in, now that's asinine.
Guess my local gamestop (Vegas) is different. They required $50 deposit.

You're right. You don't have to pre-order anything you have a passing interest in. However, if you want something like a PS4/XB1, and you're on this site, you obviously know you should pre-order it.

If you have any thought of possibly wanting one on launch day, not pre-ordering is asinine.

Have fun.
He knows.

MazeHaze

Banned
No offense, but if you're unsure of your next $25, you probably shouldn't be worried about making a $400 purchase. Either way, good luck picking one up.

Well this was before my fiancée passed away, when I had her medical bills, regular bills, and our rent to worry about. Now I am back with my parents, and I could care less about 400 dollars.

phierce

Well this was before my fiancée passed away, when I had her medical bills, regular bills, and our rent to worry about. Now I am back with my parents, and I could care less about 400 dollars.
Sorry to hear about your loss. That's rough for anyone.

Hope you can grab one.

MazeHaze

Banned
Thanks guys, hoping mastering KZ multiplayer will be a nice distraction from reality. Never got a system on launch day before, figure there is no better time than now. Who knows if we will all be around for the next one.

1397288_10202469928173533_1819792452_o.jpg

What Sony Store is this from? I'm looking into possibly lining up for the NYC launch... AAAAUGH THIS IS MADDENING

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The FAQ says you don't have to show up at midnight to make sure you get your console.

"Q: Do I need to be at the midnight opening event at my location to pick up my pre-ordered console?
A: All pre-orders will be held for 8 days after launch so you do not need to attend the midnight opening at your location. After 8 days, any orders that have not been picked up will be cancelled and made available for purchase to others. This includes pre-orders for hardware, software and accessories."

I wouldn't trust that. That maybe the company policy but employees don't always do so great at following company policy. If you are completely unable to pick a preorder up at launch, then I would at least do some polite bugging of the employees at some point beforehand to make sure you and them are on the same page.

Sanke__

It bothers me too.
I honestly do pre order everything i have passing interest in on Amazon.
Any console or game collectors edition.
Its FREE to pre order.

That's interesting, I hope this is the case. Sounds better than starving myself for two days at least.

I feel bad now.
Good luck.

All PO's have names attached. And I'd be worried if there were limited quantities but so far all signs point towards strong shipment numbers, at least initially

Plan to get inline 12hrs before launch and I have a preorder all paid off. Got a vita and some portable USB power (and a some spiked ice tea) to get me trough.

Going to go at 6 to pick up my ticket at Gamestop then line up at 1145 to get the system. Not too worried about what number I will be cause everything moves really fast and the Gamestop I'm going to has 50 pre-orders.

Not sure if this is nationwide but I got this from Sony Store Houston

http://community.sony.com/t5/Samurai/It-s-Almost-Here/ba-p/224437?mid=6396&rid=&cid=1&XID=E:6396:S1L1VIEWDETAILS

PS4 Pick-up process - Nov. 13 and 14, 2013 (PRE-PURCHASERS ONLY)

If you pre-purchased a PS4, you can pick up your PS4 package on Wednesday, Nov. 13 beginning at 10 a.m. - through Thursday, Nov. 14, ending at 8 p.m.
Guests are required to bring their gift card, PS4 purchase receipt and a photo ID to obtain their “package” at select locations, only.

PS4 Launch day: MIDNIGHT to 2 a.m. on Nov. 15, 2013

It’s finally here! You've got your pick-up package and you’re ready to get that PS4 in your hands... But here are a few final pieces of information before you head out to the Sony store:
You cannot start lining up in front of the Sony Store until 10 p.m. Please refer to the store for specific line instructions. Lining up prior to 10 p.m. is not allowed by mall security.
If you lose your pick-up package, SONY will not be able to give you your PS4 at the midnight launch; however, it can be picked up beginning at 10 a.m., the following morning.
If you forget your ID, SONY will not be able to give you your product at the midnight launch; however, it can be picked up beginning at 10 a.m. the following morning.
One final thing: if you step out of line we can’t guarantee your spot when you return.

Process for picking up your PS4 after the midnight launch

Presale units will be available for pick-up until COB Sunday, Nov. 17. Affter that, they will be released for sale. So make sure you get to the store before then!
Unclaimed units after Nov. 17 will be filled based on availability.

Process for people who did NOT pre-order a PS4 but want to pick one up on Nov. 15

Guests may begin lining up outside the Sony Store at 10 p.m. Please take direction from the store on specific line instructions.
SONY will distribute wristbands on a first come, first served basis.
Each guest will be allowed ONE PS4 bundle.
SONY will provide only one PS4 bundle per method of payment.

PS4 Midnight Launch Q&A

1. When is the midnight launch event?
(That's the midnight between Thursday and Friday!) Midnight until 2 a.m., Nov.15, 2013

2. If I pre-ordered my PS4, what do I need to do to pick up my product during the midnight launch event?
You must visit the store where you preordered the PS4 between Nov. 13 and 14 to pickup your "package." Be sure to bring along your purchase receipt, photo ID and have a contact number.

3. What happens if I lose my receipt?
If you lose your receipt, you will not be able to pick up your PS4 during the midnight launch; you will have to come to the store the following day. .

4. Am I able to pick up my PS4 during the midnight launch event if I didn’t go to the store between Nov. 13 and 14 to pick up my package?
No. PS4s will only be distributed to guests who picked up their package.

5. If I did not preorder a PS4, can I come to the midnight launch event to purchase one?
Yes. There will be a select number of PS4 bundles available for purchase during the midnight launch event and will be available on a first come, first-served basis.

6. Where should I go when I arrive to the store during the midnight launch event?
There will be two lines at the midnight launch event: one line for presales and a separate line for guests purchasing on-site.

7. What if the midnight launch event is canceled?
Guests may pick up their PS4 systems starting the following day during normal business hours.

Not sure if this is nationwide but I got this from Sony Store Houston

http://community.sony.com/t5/Samurai/It-s-Almost-Here/ba-p/224437?mid=6396&rid=&cid=1&XID=E:6396:S1L1VIEWDETAILS

PS4 Pick-up process - Nov. 13 and 14, 2013 (PRE-PURCHASERS ONLY)

If you pre-purchased a PS4, you can pick up your PS4 package on Wednesday, Nov. 13 beginning at 10 a.m. - through Thursday, Nov. 14, ending at 8 p.m.
Guests are required to bring their gift card, PS4 purchase receipt and a photo ID to obtain their “package” at select locations, only.

PS4 Launch day: MIDNIGHT to 2 a.m. on Nov. 15, 2013

It’s finally here! You've got your pick-up package and you’re ready to get that PS4 in your hands... But here are a few final pieces of information before you head out to the Sony store:
You cannot start lining up in front of the Sony Store until 10 p.m. Please refer to the store for specific line instructions. Lining up prior to 10 p.m. is not allowed by mall security.
If you lose your pick-up package, SONY will not be able to give you your PS4 at the midnight launch; however, it can be picked up beginning at 10 a.m., the following morning.
If you forget your ID, SONY will not be able to give you your product at the midnight launch; however, it can be picked up beginning at 10 a.m. the following morning.
One final thing: if you step out of line we can’t guarantee your spot when you return.

Process for picking up your PS4 after the midnight launch

Presale units will be available for pick-up until COB Sunday, Nov. 17. Affter that, they will be released for sale. So make sure you get to the store before then!
Unclaimed units after Nov. 17 will be filled based on availability.

Process for people who did NOT pre-order a PS4 but want to pick one up on Nov. 15

Guests may begin lining up outside the Sony Store at 10 p.m. Please take direction from the store on specific line instructions.
SONY will distribute wristbands on a first come, first served basis.
Each guest will be allowed ONE PS4 bundle.
SONY will provide only one PS4 bundle per method of payment.

PS4 Midnight Launch Q&A

1. When is the midnight launch event?
(That's the midnight between Thursday and Friday!) Midnight until 2 a.m., Nov.15, 2013

2. If I pre-ordered my PS4, what do I need to do to pick up my product during the midnight launch event?
You must visit the store where you preordered the PS4 between Nov. 13 and 14 to pickup your "package." Be sure to bring along your purchase receipt, photo ID and have a contact number.

3. What happens if I lose my receipt?
If you lose your receipt, you will not be able to pick up your PS4 during the midnight launch; you will have to come to the store the following day. .

4. Am I able to pick up my PS4 during the midnight launch event if I didn’t go to the store between Nov. 13 and 14 to pick up my package?
No. PS4s will only be distributed to guests who picked up their package.

5. If I did not preorder a PS4, can I come to the midnight launch event to purchase one?
Yes. There will be a select number of PS4 bundles available for purchase during the midnight launch event and will be available on a first come, first-served basis.

6. Where should I go when I arrive to the store during the midnight launch event?
There will be two lines at the midnight launch event: one line for presales and a separate line for guests purchasing on-site.

7. What if the midnight launch event is canceled?
Guests may pick up their PS4 systems starting the following day during normal business hours.

Yes, I can confirm this is a nationwide Sony Store initiative.

Surfaced

Neo Member
Here's the main event, in San Francisco!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/11/playstation-4-launch-events-san-francisco-and-more/

PS4 San Francisco Launch Event
830 Market St, San Francisco
Date/time:
11/14
Activities start at 6:00pm
Activities:
PS4 demos & contests
Wear your PS gear, bring your PS Vita, and show your PlayStation pride.
Food trucks
Giveaways include:
PS4 Grand Prize Pack, which includes a PS4 signed by Jack Tretton, and a Mark Cerny autographed Knack poster
PS Vita Prize Pack, which includes a system and a wealth of games
The Last Of Us Prize Pack, which includes the Post Pandemic Edition, The Last Of Us polo shirt, and The Last Of Us Infected Bust
Tearaway charms
PS4 t-shirts
…and more!
Follow @HeyPlayStation for all of the details on the giveaways and contests

DeadcatXL

Banned
I am going to drive up to EB Games at 10.50 PM, blast the heat in my car. Watch the Spike announcements on my Vita while everyone else is freezing their asses off. Then when there are about 10 peeps left in line, i'll mosey over, pick up my machine and drive home.

I've waiting for 9 months, i'll wait an additional hour over freezing my ass off on a Canadian curb.

So pretty cool info for people waiting at Gamestop/Eb games. If you're a platinum card member you get first in line for the PS4.

So it's probably gonna take me about 10 minutes in line :D.

Kolgar

So after temps here plummeted and Amazon was nice enough to gift me a free game yesterday, I think I'll cancel my Best Buy preorder and try to head off the Amazon PS4 at the UPS warehouse on Thursday.

I considered selling it, but it means more to me to know that some poor guy who didn't preorder got a happy surprise than the piddly $25 or $50 I'd want from a sale. Besides, Sony's got a handle on supply for this holiday, right?

ViciousDS

Banned
Buddy works at GStop and those of you who didn't pre-order..............don't even bother going to the midnight release they will turn you away, midnight release at GameStop from what he said(at least for mine) is Pre-Orders ONLY. They are going to have about 20 extra units (at mine.) They are for when the store opens up that morning. But yes he said they will not take any people in line without a pre-order.

Fair heads up, you might want to call ahead of time....because you might not have to start camping out till AFTER midnight release.

Also got concrete info that we have 125 pre-orders and all of them are fulfilled.

So sony has a LOT more hardware this time around.

The_Monk

European GAFfer in here but patiently waiting for October 29th in hopes I can get a PS4 on launch day (pre-ordered but it's never a sure thing in here, sadly).

Just want to give a shout out to all the NA people getting their hands on the PS4 very, very soon. I hope every single Midnight launch can go well and according to the plan without any problems, violence or even theft. I hope everyone can have great fun, while talking and sharing their experiences until the stores open and when returning home I hope you can all arrive safe because I know the hype levels are going to be huge.

Make sure to post your experience and post some pictures too fellow GAFfers, a great time is arriving very soon for us, gaming enthusiasts and I can't wait for the upcoming discussions and threads in this fine Community. Have fun everyone!

Buddy works at GStop and those of you who didn't pre-order..............don't even bother going to the midnight release they will turn you away, midnight release at GameStop from what he said(at least for mine) is Pre-Orders ONLY. They are going to have about 20 extra units (at mine.) They are for when the store opens up that morning. But yes he said they will not take any people in line without a pre-order.

Fair heads up, you might want to call ahead of time....because you might not have to start camping out till AFTER midnight release.

Also got concrete info that we have 125 pre-orders and all of them are fulfilled.

So sony has a LOT more hardware this time around.
My gamestop told me they start preorders in the morning well on the door it say 11AM-5PM and even if you didnt preorder if they have extra they can sell and do the transaction thing then to get ready for midnight.

ViciousDS

Banned
My gamestop told me they start preorders in the morning well on the door it say 11AM-5PM and even if you didnt preorder if they have extra they can sell and do the transaction thing then to get ready for midnight.

maybe that's what they are doing....but yes 5PM-6PM is usually cut off for there system of getting everything checked in and ready to go.

Might be different for every gamestop as well, but I know mine wants to generate traffic so it seems they are not even doing the whole pre-ring transaction on extra consoles either.

Hopefully GameStops leaves a note or informs customers like yours did.....damn management.

Top Bottom