• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Demo (non-crappy Gamescom camera edition)

glaurung

It pains me to see those ugly-ass launch PS3/PSN avatars showing up with the new shiny interface. I am so tired of that crappy Sly Cooper and pixel art shite.

I hope PS4 games will have play-to-unlock gamer avatar pictures.

Rvaisse

The wave background is not sexy enough !
The UI doesnt seem to be made to take advantage of the touchpad.
I thought it would be more reactive.

I'm glad the xmb is still there.
Pretty useful infos shown for the games

The ps store bleeps is very bad, change it.

glaurung

Well at least then I'd know there is PS4 Singstar. Even better would be knowing the content from Singstar PS3 is available on the PS4 version.
And there is no reason for the wireless SingStar mics from the PS3 version not to work with PS4.

The only nagging issue now is the digital rights management that SingStar employs, if they drop that for PS4, I'll be a happy camper.

To explain: right now your downloaded SingStar tracks are attached to your activated console. If you want to download them elsewhere, you need to deactivate your old console which is a major pain in the ass (and PS4 foregoes that as far as I know). I know this because my old PS3 (launch model) died and I cannot deactivate it. There are a few SingStar tracks I bought on that machine and I cannot re-download them on my new PS3. The store just gives me an error message.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
the joining a game time was very quick. but we dont know if the game was running in the background or not already we've seen before that they can so who knows it might be longer with a fresh boot/play

other than that the interface seems great very sleek I just hope custom wallpapers and dynamic ones make the cut

Didn't he have to log in right at the beginning of the demo?

And there is no reason for the wireless SingStar mics from the PS3 version not to work with PS4.

The only nagging issue now is the digital rights management that SingStar employs, if they drop that for PS4, I'll be a happy camper.

To explain: right now your downloaded SingStar tracks are attached to your activated console. If you want to download them elsewhere, you need to deactivate your old console which is a major pain in the ass (and PS4 foregoes that as far as I know). I know this because my old PS3 (launch model) died and I cannot deactivate it. There are a few SingStar tracks I bought on that machine and I cannot re-download them on my new PS3. The store just gives me an error message.

Can't you just contact Sony customer support? I had the rep I spoke with deactivate every console with my account to it, mostly due to having sent them in for repairs and received a replacement model.

glaurung

Can't you just contact Sony customer support? I had the rep I spoke with deactivate every console with my account to it, mostly due to having sent them in for repairs and received a replacement model.
I have never attempted that. Mostly because Sony does not officially support my country and my PSN account is registered at a fake UK address.

I have never attempted that. Mostly because Sony does not officially support my country and my PSN account is registered at a fake UK address.
Well, I did it through the live support chat they have on the site. I don't think the fake address should be much of an issue and I was never asked to verify that. Maybe try that method and perhaps they can help. You never know.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I tried to do that but for the Vita and PS3, but it said I had to do it through the actual consoles, which I don't have in my possession any longer.

You're doing it in the wrong section if you got that. There should be a link in there to deactivate all devices from your account.

Yes, but the system could keep a number of save states for recently launched games so you can go back to them in the fastest way possible. But I'd have thought even just loading ~5GB straight from the hdd would take a bit longer than what we saw.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I think he was already logged in.

VTbN54z.png

My guess is the controller was probably off when he started the demo causing the profile select screen to pop up when he turned it on for the demo.

I actually did that once when I replaced my dead PS3 fat model. SingStore still says some of my songs are attached to another system.

SingStar has it's own shitty DRM. IIRC, you can only download purchased songs once. It doesn't matter if you deactivate the console or have a free activation slot, the license for the music tracks only grants you 1 download for the console that originally purchased it. I think the only way to get them on another system was to contact Sony and ask a rep for a transfer which entailed refunding you in store credit and deleting the tracks from your purchase history so you could rebuy them on the new system.

Has there been any confirmation on whether ps3/vita owners on your friends list will be able to see your PSNID on their lists when your signed into the network on the ps4? PS4 trophies showing up on your PS3/VITA LIST? I know it took some time to add those the trophy integration after the vita came out.

Spazznid

I think he was already logged in.

VTbN54z.png

My guess is the controller was probably off when he started the demo causing the profile select screen to pop up when he turned it on for the demo.

SingStar has it's own shitty DRM. IIRC, you can only download purchased songs once. It doesn't matter if you deactivate the console or have a free activation slot, the license for the music tracks only grants you 1 download for the console that originally purchased it. I think the only way to get them on another system was to contact Sony and ask a rep for a transfer which entailed refunding you in store credit and deleting the tracks from your purchase history so you could rebuy them on the new system.

holy shit. multiple accounts playing simultaneously confirmed!

PJV3

I actually did that once when I replaced my dead PS3 fat model. SingStore still says some of my songs are attached to another system.

Phone support, give them the serial code of your new console, within a week all songs are free to download again.

Iacobellis

It pains me to see those ugly-ass launch PS3/PSN avatars showing up with the new shiny interface. I am so tired of that crappy Sly Cooper and pixel art shite.

I hope PS4 games will have play-to-unlock gamer avatar pictures.

It's especially bad when the Vita uses very low resolution versions of the avatars whenever you want to change yours. It makes no sense considering the PS3 uses much more detailed ones in chat rooms.

ckohler

what i am trying to find out is how did he get to the top menus? Did anyone find out?

He probably just pushed up on the Dpad. You know, to go up to where those icons are?

Same icons across the top. You scroll back and forth to select something, which then pops up below.

It's an updated version of the XMB.

That's really trivializing it. The XMB has CATEGORIES that you move across left to right. Once you click a category, you move up and down to select items in that category.

This is nothing like that.

Here, the main menu is presented as a list of your most recent items you've launched from left to right. You select a game and you get the details about that item below it. Press Circle to go back to the history list. Press Up ANYWHERE on the list to access the quick icons at the top (Settings, Profile, Parties, Store, etc.) You can then move left to right on these icons to highlight them. Information automatically appears above the icons before you click them. Once you click them you go to a specific screen for each item.

You can't select GAMES from the main menu and then press up and down to scroll through your titles. You can't select SETTINGS from the main menu to and the scroll up and down through them. That's what the "cross" in cross media bar means. This is different. Here, to get at settings you press Up from anywhere on the main menu which lands you on the Settings icon. Click that icon to be taken to a screen full of settings that is off of the main menu.

Top Bottom