• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publix |OT| Where subs are a pleasure

So true. It's like walking in to a grocery store about a month after the apocalypse went down.

Yep, there's a Kroger right down the street from the Publix here in Athens.

Standard Kroger is like Winn Dixie. Dirty, dingy, and ugly. I still haven't figured them out because they have so many sub-brands.

But things like Kroger Fresh Fare are more up to standard. Have to go into the rich neighborhoods for those, though. That being said, it's been a struggle moving to a state without Publix.

Publix is the best. Being raised on it and then spending Some time in Indiana made me realise how all grocery stores suck compared to publix.

Always been a great place, love my local, but some things have slipped over the years to where they just don't have the edge they used to---like the doughnuts.

The subs were never exotic, but they nail the fundamentals to the point where you'd be quite likely insane to choose to waste money at a Subway at the very least instead.

Buffalo chicken with ample crunch has gotten me through the odd rough patch back in the day for sure...

Thanks to this topic if I survive I'm definitely getting some Publix to celebrate, always loved their fried chicken but never looked into the deli much.
Plus I want some pie...

Ok, let's get real folks.

The deli cooler might be my favorite spot in the store. It's filled with imported cheese, naan, fancy olives and that boar's head chicken salad with dried cranberries.

Publix sides makes procrastinators who pickup stuff for the BBQ on the way there, look good

Ponn

Banned
Ok, let's get real folks.

The deli cooler might be my favorite spot in the store. It's filled with imported cheese, naan, fancy olives and that boar's head chicken salad with dried cranberries.

Publix sides makes procrastinators who pickup stuff for the BBQ on the way there, look good

Their sweet cole slaw and baked potato salad are so good. I also prefer their hummus over the name stuff like Sabra or Tribe.

Chicken tender sub is the best.

Sometimes I get looks from the deli staff.

White bread, tenders cut or uncut, I don't care - just not too finely cut, yella american cheese, a touch of mayo on the bread, buffalo sauce, ranch, black pepper, done. And yeah, I want the combo. With the dirty salt/pepper chips and a big ass cherry coke.

No I don't want any veggies.

Tevious

I used to live in Florida and shopped at Publix all the time. Does anyone else think the bread for their subs are too chewy? My jaw always got tired after eating them. I preferred getting subs from Marco's Pizza, which was in the same plaza as my Publix.

We're 2 pages in and no one has posted:

IMG_3277.jpg

The hell is wrong with you people?

Anyone use the Publix app?

I kinda forgot that you can save coupons and stuff in it to apply at the register.

I never even considered they have an app. Will have to do this in the future.

I used to live in Florida and shopped at Publix all the time. Does anyone else think the bread for their subs are too chewy? My jaw always got tired after eating them. I preferred getting subs from Marco's Pizza, which was in the same plaza as my Publix.

dude do you live in metrowest?

Sometimes I get looks from the deli staff.

White bread, tenders cut or uncut, I don't care - just not too finely cut, yella american cheese, a touch of mayo on the bread, buffalo sauce, ranch, black pepper, done. And yeah, I want the combo. With the dirty salt/pepper chips and a big ass cherry coke.

No I don't want any veggies.

That's pretty much exactly how I get mine. Add some banana peppers next time, they're delicious.

Publix (and their subs) are legit one of the reasons I don't think I'll ever move out of Fort Lauderdale.

In terms of food I can't leave Tampa/Brandon because of

-Original Hooters (so fucking good. The ones they sold off to be chains are terrible and the food is gross)

-Publix Wings/Subs/Sushi

-Portillos

-Culvers

-New York New York, Sam and Eddy's, Cappy's, and Brandon Pizzaria

Publix veteran here, was a bagboy and then a stock clerk in high school. Ate many subs and the abuelas in the bakery would give me free cookies, but I'd have to eat them quickly in the corner so that the managers wouldn't see.

My second job was as a bagger at Publix. Same thing would happen at my store's bakery too: depending on who was working there, the bakery person at closing time would pass cookies to the baggers who were stuck with sweeping-duty.

Nope. Not ever. I live in Seoul now, so no more Publix for me until I go back and visit family there.

Haha, I'm sure Marcos is a chain. I only asked because there is a Marcos Pizza in the same plaza of a Publix right in Metrowest. And that's too bad. At least me being in TX offers a chance at least a couple times a year to re-experience Publix.

Although I'm sure Seoul has a much better food scene overall versus central Florida lol.

styl3s

A Florida institution.
Brings back memories of going to daytona beach growing up we would check in at the sand castle, get an ice cream from this little thing under a bridge and go to Publix. So glad they opened up a publix here a couple years back and i love it.

I wonder if that little ice cream place is still there. We stopped going after the tourist side pretty much got wiped out.

My second job was as a bagger at Publix. Same thing would happen at my store's bakery too: depending on who was working there, the bakery person at closing time would pass cookies to the baggers who were stuck with sweeping-duty.

I refused to take tips for the longest as a bagger. I took that "you'll get fired" thing to heart. But people would insist. And some even threatened to scream in the middle of the parking lot if I refused, so I was like whatever.

An extra $20-30 at the end of a shift was always nice!

I refused to take tips for the longest as a bagger. I took that "you'll get fired" thing to heart. But people would insist. And some even threatened to scream in the middle of the parking lot if I refused, so I was like whatever.

An extra $20-30 at the end of a shift was always nice!
The moment they made that policy, I pretty much stopped shopping there..

Erekiddo

This was my first job, I worked here for 4 whopping months. Not cause the job itself was bad, but because I was in Florida during Hurricane Francis and seeing two people fist fight over the last bag of fried chicken from the deli freaked me out enough to go back to California.

My second, and current job, I've just passed 12 years at. Lots of funnier stories at Publix though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
When I lived in Florida for 5 months Publix and WaWa gave me life. 2 things I still dearly miss now that I'm back in CA ;_;.

Top Bottom