• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

Costanza

Banned
I just noticed the 1up review:

But despite the interesting narrative and excellent sandbox experience, the 360 package is somewhat spoiled by the less-than-stellar performance of the graphics engine itself. The framerate is erratic and dips every time the game loads a new area. This is particularly noticeable when leaving the confines of Bullworth Academy for the surrounding townships. Another distraction is the inconsistent visual details of the in-game world; while a significant amount of time was obviously spent sprucing up the school campus with high-res textures and models, the rest of the world runs the gambit from merely bland to absolute eyesore. There's also a significant amount of pop-in every time the camera moves quickly around the player. Perhaps worst of all, we had several instances where the game froze midmission, and since you can't save at any moment it sometimes necessitated replaying a significant amount of the game. It's really a shame that these technical problems detract from what is an otherwise outstanding experience.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3166819&p=4

gimz said:
serious question:
is this game really good?
i was thinking of renting it today

edited: (wii version)

I played the hell out of the PS2 version. Yes, it is a good game, and is very fun.

It's like a grade school GTA.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
The apology from Rockstar (note NeoGAF shout out)

We have just become aware of the issues people are having with Bully Scholarship Edition on Xbox 360. It appears that some older 360s are experiencing framerate issues, freezes and other problems. You have our word that we never experienced any of this in QA - in any of our offices or at Microsoft. I am horrified, and we are now working around the clock to rectify this situation. Thanks to Neo-Gaf for bringing this matter to our attention. We love our games and put a huge amount of energy and care into making them all that they can be. We would never shove anything out the door - we never have and never will. We apologise to everyone affected for the inconvenience. Respectfully, Sam Houser

http://kotaku.com/364455/rockstar-responds-to-bully-scholarship-edition-issues

:lol

As mentioned earlier, mine is a 3 month old Falcon Elite.

But otherwise, kudos to Rockstar to owning up to the problem and promising to get it fixed.

My box is like a year and a half old. So I guess that makes it an 'older' xbox.

Still, that's not a very good excuse.

If they patch this soon-ish, all is forgotten.

ascii42

MaizeRage25 said:
Hey, does this mean I have to buy a 'new' Xbox to play GTA IV???
Heh, yeah I'm leaning more and more towards getting the PS3 version.
My 360 was made in November of last year, so I shouldn't have issues whenever I pick up Bully....in theory.

Just to report in: my game froze when I was doing an errand (swim out to the buoy). Totally lame. Now I have to beat Gym 4 all over again. LAME.

dcard

We ran into something really similar with Poker Smash. Our game ran great on dev kits, but we’ve had major problems with freezes on retail systems. Debugging on a retail setup is nearly impossible because you don't have access to debug output, call stacks, crash dumps, etc. Ultimately Microsoft had to give us access to internal XDK that allowed us to debug on a retail setup, and we found the issue (our fix is still being certified). I feel for the Mad Doc guys. It sucks when you get blindsided by a bug you never saw during development. Good luck finding the crash!

Costanza

Banned
Skiptastic said:
Just to report in: my game froze when I was doing an errand (swim out to the buoy). Totally lame. Now I have to beat Gym 4 all over again. LAME.
:lol Sucks. I'm probably going to avoid playing till the patch comes.

MaizeRage25 said:
Welcome to the party. Save often.

Oh, I save all the time with these goddamn sandbox games. I used to save every time I beat a mission in any GTA game, for no particular reason other than I didn't like dying and buying guns all over again. I've been saving pretty regularly, it's just that Gym isn't near any save points, so I was going out to the beach house and then the errand happened and I was all "Fuck, a few bucks wouldn't hurt" and then Freeze!

Oh, and it wouldn't suck that bad if it was something like English 4, but fucking dodgeball is so lame to play.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dcard said:
We ran into something really similar with Poker Smash. Our game ran great on dev kits, but we’ve had major problems with freezes on retail systems. Debugging on a retail setup is nearly impossible because you don't have access to debug output, call stacks, crash dumps, etc. Ultimately Microsoft had to give us access to internal XDK that allowed us to debug on a retail setup, and we found the issue (our fix is still being certified). I feel for the Mad Doc guys. It sucks when you get blindsided by a bug you never saw during development. Good luck finding the crash!

Forgive the newb question, but can't some form of testing happen on retail 360s anyway? Even if you can't isolate the problem, at least you'd know that there was a problem?

Costanza

Banned
Skiptastic said:
Oh, I save all the time with these goddamn sandbox games. I used to save every time I beat a mission in any GTA game, for no particular reason other than I didn't like dying and buying guns all over again. I've been saving pretty regularly, it's just that Gym isn't near any save points, so I was going out to the beach house and then the errand happened and I was all "Fuck, a few bucks wouldn't hurt" and then Freeze!

Oh, and it wouldn't suck that bad if it was something like English 4, but fucking dodgeball is so lame to play.
I can't beat the first English class :( Fucking word scramble puzzles suck.

Costanza said:
I can't beat the first English class :( Fucking word scramble puzzles suck.

I actually found a guide online while I was googling Bully that will give you all the answers if you get super desperate.

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I actually found a guide online while I was googling Bully that will give you all the answers if you get super desperate.
Yeah I'll probably just gamefaqs it when I start playing again.

watership

Costanza said:
Heh, awesome.

How old is an "older" 360? Mine is less than a year old and it's having these issues.

That sounds like Rockstar trying to throw the blame back on MS a little. Already on the internets people are saying that the game is having problems because 360s suck.

dcard

firehawk12 said:
Forgive the newb question, but can't some form of testing happen on retail 360s anyway? Even if you can't isolate the problem, at least you'd know that there was a problem?

Devs can't make builds that run on retail systems. They keep that stuff under James Bond type security as far as I know. The entire testings / cert process is done on dev kits. They tell us it's pretty much the exact same hardware, so this issue is never supposed to come up. Of course our issue with Poker Smash could be something totally different. I just found it interesting because our game just came out, so Bully was probably tested / certified on the same XDK.

Costanza

Banned
dcard said:
Devs can't make builds that run on retail systems. They keep that stuff under James Bond type security as far as I know. The entire testings / cert process is done on dev kits. They tell us it's pretty much the exact same hardware, so this issue is never supposed to come up. Of course our issue with Poker Smash could be something totally different. I just found it interesting because our game just came out, so Bully was probably tested / certified on the same XDK.
That reminds me, I need to try Poker Smash... looked fun. I'll probably wait till you guys get the patch up to check out the demo though.

Rhindle

dcard said:
Well, whatever it is, they'd better get it sorted out before GTA4 gets certified.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I wonder if the "fix" will improve the framerate, as he said there were no framerate issues when they tested it.

35bxhrm.jpg

Heres a picture I just took of it on my PS3. Its set to 720p and looks great for a PS2 game :). This thread inspired me to replay it again and I just got done beating it.

Top Bottom