• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage at Rage Reviews Thread

ironcreed

Banned
GeoramA said:
From the Joystiq review:

o_O

This can't be right...

Seriously, what is up with that? Everyone else is claiming a 12 hour main story, in addition to side quests and mini-games that add even more. Color me confused. Guess I'll find out for myself.

jackdoe

pakkit said:
Save anywhere = broken save system?

To me, broken save system means bad checkpoints, or Vita-Chambers.
No... the review says the autosave/checkpoint system is apparently broken which means you'd have to rely on the "Save Anywhere" system on the consoles, which is apparently clumsily done, i.e. push start, hit save, wait, exit menu, etc.

elfinke

Tom Penny said:
Great graphics. Meh gameplay. What else is new in this era of shooters. Hopefully the COD can set the bar for both.

The gaiety derived from your post exceeded my self-control tolerances, good sir! You are to be applauded for your efforts!

DiscoJer

DopeyFish said:
the joystiq review i stopped reading

"it's not fallout, it's not borderlands"

WELL NO SHIT IDIOTS

You've missed the point. If you just look at the screenshots of the game, they pretty much cry out Fallout 3 and Borderlands. (even the backstory is somewhat Fallout-ish)

So yes, it's trying to start off the review by stating the obvious - that even though it looks like it, it's not like either of those two games

Salsa

again, Ars Technica is cancer. I remember them even apologizin for some crappy review they did because of some reason? cant remember what happened exactly

SalsaShark said:
Id say those are the places where GAF most pays attention to reviews, and its all 8s and 9s

Id say GAF is gonna bitch anyway

I don't think GAF cares about any individual review outlet more than others at this point other than Giantbomb.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ironcreed said:
Seriously, what is up with that? Everyone else is claiming a 12 hour main story, in addition to side quests and mini-games that add even more. Color me confused. Guess I'll find out for myself.
How often do developers say, "We have 20+ hours of content", only to find out its half that.

Like normal, some of the reviews seem off, but there is a general trend showing in them too. Its probably best to play the game first ^_^

sn00zer

While I havent played it RAGE looks to be one of those games with very solid gameplay mechanics ala Timesplitters and Darksiders with a semi interesting but not as good scenario in which to use them

jackdoe

SalsaShark said:
again, Ars Technica is cancer. I remember them even apologizin for some crappy review they did because of some reason? cant remember what happened exactly
They may exaggerate, but many of the points they bring up are brought up in other reviews: linear levels, lack of a story, some repetitive side quests.

Gravijah

jackdoe said:
They may exaggerate, but many of the points they bring up are brought up in other reviews: linear levels, lack of a story, some repetitive side quests.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GUNPLAY :mad:

SlickVic

jackdoe said:
Hahaha. Not quite, but it is giving me pause from spending $59.99 for it on the PC.

For some reason I thought Bethesda's price hike for PC games wasn't going in effect till Skyrim. I know Skyrim will sell well regardless, but kinda interested to see how the $60 tag will effect Rage's sales on PC.

Digital-Hero said:
Wise, I may wait as well.
Amazon loves to kick the price of new games down to $40 a few weeks after they come out and I still have $20 credit. If that happens I'm all over this seeing as the game is Steamworks (I think).

Salsa

SlickVic said:
For some reason I thought Bethesda's price hike for PC games wasn't going in effect till Skyrim. I know Skyrim will sell well regardless, but kinda interested to see how the $60 tag will effect Rage's sales on PC.

Game is steamworks and its much cheaper elsewhere, we'll see.

jackdoe said:

They also say that they shooting is weak when even that Strategy Informer (6.5) review points out that the shooting is top notch.

jackdoe said:
I can say that about all the other games and that also includes the games the continously compare Rage to.

sk3tch

SalsaShark said:
Ars Technica does the worst reviews ive ever read. Ever.

They complained at Duke Nukem Forever not having iron sights.

SalsaShark said:

lol...you're cancer. Why would you simply dismiss a review of a game you haven't played? If you read the review fully the dude is trying to save you coin and disappointment. If you want to blindly accept reviews only over 8 because you're hyped for the game - fine...but don't discount quality reviews that say otherwise - i.e. Joystiq and Ars.

You haven't played the game and you're making a blanket statement about a review because a site had a problem in the past? Ben Kuchera is a pretty damned good reviewer (although he does get on his high horse about some bs sometimes - i.e. Duke's raciness). Not sure who worked there when you experienced/saw all those problems you speak of.

jackdoe

soulassssns said:
I can say that about all the other games and that also includes the games the continously compare Rage to.
True. But that's where MP comes into play in a lot of those cases.

NBtoaster

Duxxy3 said:
Well shit

Will wait for a steam sale

Seriously?

sk3tch said:
lol...you're cancer. Why would you simply dismiss a review of a game you haven't played? If you read the review fully the dude is trying to save you coin and disappointment. If you want to blindly accept reviews only over 8 because you're hyped for the game - fine...but don't discount quality reviews that say otherwise - i.e. Joystiq and Ars.

Aren't you blindly calling these reviews "quality"? Have you played the game?

Salsa

sk3tch said:

You haven't played the game and you're making a blanket statement about a review because a site had a problem in the past? Ben Kuchera is a pretty damned good reviewer (although he does get on his high horse about some bs sometimes - i.e. Duke's raciness). Not sure who worked there when you experienced/saw all those problems you speak of.

?

how am i complaining in any way about this review in particular, or making any statement defending the game when i havent played it? im just not gonna pay attention to it because of Ben Kuchera's past. His reviews are damn afwul and he writes like some all-knowing douchebag. Im complaining about all of the reviews and the site in general, never talked about this.

Vire

NBtoaster said:
Seriously?

Considering they've played the game and I haven't, I don't think I am or you are in a position to tell them they are wrong yet.

SlickVic

SalsaShark said:
Game is steamworks and its much cheaper elsewhere, we'll see.

I didn't notice it on sale anywhere yet, but maybe I missed it. I usually check Green Man Gaming since they've been killing it with PC preorders off late, but doesn't seem like they have Bethesda games on there.

Kazerei

Banned
I don't mind a short game as long as it's enjoyable and the price is right. A solid multiplayer could make up for it though.

Rage was never a day 1 purchase for me, but I was interested in it and still am. Guess I'll just continue to wait and see.

sk3tch

SalsaShark said:
?

how am i complaining in any way about this review in particular, or making any statement defending the game when i havent played it? im just not gonna pay attention to it because of Ben Kuchera's past. His reviews are damn afwul and he writes like some all-knowing douchebag. Im complaining about all of the reviews and the site in general, never talked about this.

You said "Ars Technica's reviews" - the site in general.

NBtoaster said:

Good point. I haven't played the game. However, I am calling the reviews quality because there is sound reasoning behind why they rated the game low in my opinion. Arthur Gies even wrote a blog post about this...probably expecting a lot of backlash: http://pragmagic.tumblr.com/post/11011110177/musings-on-rage.

jackdoe

SlickVic said:
I didn't notice it on sale anywhere yet, but maybe I missed it. I usually check Green Man Gaming since they've been killing it with PC preorders off late, but doesn't seem like they have Bethesda games on there.
Yeah. I haven't noticed any sales on it either. Maybe a blanket pre-order coupon code from Direct2Drive but that's about it.

Looking over the complaints from ars tech and joystick they seem to fall in line with the complaints that Brandon Sheffield confronts id with in his interview on gamasutra after playing the game for several hours.

For example:

BS:I don't actually feel like it looks unlike every other game. It does kind of look like Borderlands or Fallout to me. I mean, I'm sure, when you really get into the tech, it looks different. But it does have a similar kind of look and feel.

BS:You said there are some meaningful choices, but so far the choices were basically, "Save this guy, or don't save this guy" or "look for this, or don't look for it"; it was more like, "Do you want to have a mission, or do you not want to have a mission?"

In general this was, to me, a very refreshing interview because Brandon was very upfront and didn't throw softball questions. The answers were more either danced around or redirected.

jackdoe

Duxxy3 said:
For a $60 PC game i expect better.
Yep. That extra $10 adds a whole 'nother layer of expectation. That's why I skipped out on Black Ops and will be skipping out on MW3.

~Kinggi~

Banned
In other news, other thread seems to indicate pc release is a clusterfuck. People crashing, horrible texture pops.

eeeek

ironcreed

Banned
So, we hear from one review that it took 9 hours with all the side quests, etc. Yet, the Gamespot review said it was packed with content and features a main story that could last up to 20 hours. Somebody is full of shit, lol. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Top Bottom