• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage at Rage Reviews Thread

pelican

DopeyFish said:
the joystiq review i stopped reading

"it's not fallout, it's not borderlands"

WELL NO SHIT IDIOTS

Why does anyone go to that awful site for reviews. It is one of the worst.

Salsa

ChuckNoLuck said:
You know you can ignore both the scores and peoples reactions to them, and take the written opinion of someone you trust into account when buying a game. That's kind of what reviews are supposed to do.

I read reviews sometimes, i just dont care for the massive score. I rarely take them into account when buying a game (mostly cause i already know what im going to enjoy and what im not at this point) though. I was trying to refer to the "score craze" that goes on and that's showing up here.

Amir0x

Banned
damn it's only 10 hours long or so but with a 20 zillion gig install, i thought it'd be a lot longer than that

Chuck

Still without luck
dogmanstaruk said:
Why does anyone go to that awful site for reviews. It is one of the worst.
Well, Arthur Gies is someone I trust and he reviewed RAGE for them and Ludwig Kietzmann is someone who's opinion I also take into account.

But for the most part, you're right. They review Dark Souls without even finishing it. *SMH*

Vire said:
OXM: 7.5

http://www.oxmonline.com/rage-review

GameFront: 7.5
ShogunGamer: 7
The Telegraph: 7
Strategy Informer: 6.5
Joystiq: 6
Co-Optimus: 6
Ars Technica: Verdict: Skip

That's enough for me to realize that there are some issues with the game at a glance.

EGM: 9.5
IGN: 8.5
GameReactor: 8
Teamxbox.com: 9.5
RipTen: 9.5
GameTrailers: 9
Machinima: 9
CVG: 8.9
Eurogamer: 8
GameSpot: 8
G4TV: 8

What do these tell you then?

Vire

CrankyKong said:
Hmm, I need to hear what the Gerstmann thinks
I believe Brad is reviewing it, but I'm sure Jeff might pop it in and talk about it on the Bombcast.
soulassssns said:

It tells me that it's a divisive game that some people like and some people don't?

pelican

Vire said:
No - around 10 games a year.

That is not very many.

Like other forms of media a game doesn't need to be mind blowing in order to achieve enjoyment and satisfaction of playing it. There are plenty of games I have enjoyed despite getting meddlesome review scores.

Personally I pay little credence to review scores from websites these days. The majority of games journalists are buffoons.

Duffyside

Banned
Vire said:
More times than not when I decide to take a whim and get a 8 or lower game from sites I trust I'm usually disappointed. (Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Final Fantasy 13, Resistance) come to mind. So now, I'm a lot more discriminating towards these games since I've been burned one too many times. I don't have $60 to just go on a whim and try things out.

I really don't see what's so crazy about this. You guys can go ahead and get it and it enjoy it - I'm not stopping you but you shouldn't be surprised about people not being impressed by 6's, 7's and 8's.
But there are also places giving it a 9s and 9.5s. What if you happen to be one of those people? I haven't read the whole thread, so are you saying you're just going to wait a few more days for the rest of reviews to roll in and get some GAF impressions, or have you said straight-up "not buying it"?

Tiktaalik

soulassssns said:

It's a really high profile game.

Yeah that's a snarky response, but I've been burned by buying too many weak, yet high scoring, hyped to high heaven games day one. Personally I'm going to wait a few days and read the gaffer impressions.

Chuck

Still without luck
soulassssns said:

Me feeling on a few outlets.

EGM: yeah, no
IGN: hahahaha
RipTen: LOL
GameTrailers: No thanks
GameSpot: How full was the hat?
G4TV: not anymore

Vire

duffyside said:
But there are also places giving it a 9s and 9.5s. What if you happen to be one of those people? I haven't read the whole thread, so are you saying you're just going to wait a few more days for the rest of reviews to roll in and get some GAF impressions, or have you said straight-up "not buying it"?
I'll most likely be waiting for a price drop. I had enough interest to come into the thread and see what was going on so Rage certainly got me that far. Of course I'll be reading GAF's impressions to better make an accurate assessment - I always do this on games that I'm on the fence about.

pelican

ChuckNoLuck said:
Well, Arthur Gies is someone I trust and he reviewed RAGE for them and Ludwig Kietzmann is someone who's opinion I also take into account.

But for the most part, you're right. They review Dark Souls without even finishing it. *SMH*

I will give you Ludwig Kietzmann.

The remainder though are tiresome especially that clown who always tried to be funny on the podcast and ended up posting a non-review of Neir as he couldn't work out how to fish. Justin McElroy.

soulassssns said:
What is not boring to you?

Dark Souls, Skyrim, Batman. I'm sure all three of those are super boring to some people.

I was hoping I'd be into this game because I like post-apocalyptic stuff but everything I've seen has left me cold. It's not for me. No big deal.

More power to you if you think it looks awesome.

Aaron

soulassssns said:

They're learning nothing from the GTA4 review debacle?

Vire

dogmanstaruk said:
That is not very many.

Like other forms of media a game doesn't need to be mind blowing in order to achieve enjoyment and satisfaction of playing it. There are plenty of games I have enjoyed despite getting meddlesome review scores.

Personally I pay little credence to review scores from websites these days. The majority of games journalists are buffoons.
Unlike a lot of gamers out there, I'm an adult and I only have a limited amount of time and resources to play games. Ten games is more than enough for me since I barely have enough time to straddle all of that with a job, college and a girlfriend. I don't know where you come from but $600 a year is a lot of money around here...

I'm not sure there are many people who have more time to play more than one game a month.

It really seems like this game is a good basis for a new franchise and they will probably improve things for the sequel. I'm getting an Assassin's Creed vibe in regards to that. At least it's short so I should be able to finish it before Arkham City.

Gravijah said:
i find that the actual gameplay is the best part of the doom series. the simplicity and act of shooting something is great.
Yeah the actual gunplay and 60fps is the reason why I'm getting this, its rare to come across a 60fps shooter for us console peasants.

JimFear

Banned
soulassssns said:
Is it me or are all the "nobody" sites with the low scores?

Ohhh you... You are so mean thinking something like that. Its like saying that some company never buy some good scores. Everybody know that kind of thing never happen!!! /sarcasm

hyduK

Banned
SalsaShark said:
seriously

not only that but how vire's saying that scores are what you should pay attention to in a review, and then assures a 9 review on games he likes going by what those companies have made in the past (wich is something much more important than reviews).

not trying to hate/mock, everyone is free to base his purchases on what he wants, but i find it odd.

Personally I use reviews like this:

Pre-release stuff is obviously what gets me hyped, and with the amount of information you have nowadays it's pretty easy to judge how good a game will be, and what it will score (based on previews, trackrecords, etc). For example, Dark Souls...I didn't even really need to look at the reviews, I knew the game was shaping up extraordinary, and as a fan of the first I couldn't see much changing my mind. For the most part the game has scored extremely well. If it had averaged say 10% less I might have read a few and seen why, then judge if this is gamebreaking for me.

If I see the pre-release stuff and think it's gonna score < 75 (which for this industry tends to be mediocre) and it's not something I'm specifically interested in, whether it be the brand, genre, specific setting, etc. then no, I won't check it out (assuming it actually does average under 75). Now if this same game came out and was getting some high praise then obviously I'd dig a bit deeper to see what the buzz is about, and possibly buy the game.

I'm EXPECTING games like Skyrim, Uncharted, and Battlefield to come out and score in the 90's. If one of them were to come out and average 75, then yeah I'd be concerned and depending on the reasoning it could very well prevent, or delay my purchase of the game.

I completely understand that 7/10 is not bad. But really, in the gaming industry it's also not exactly good. Most sites need a completely broken game for them to go below a 7. A 50 SHOULD be a pass, but in reality there's like 20 games on Metacritic that have < 50 for PS3 (only using PS3 because you have to use a specific platform) this entire gen. There's only three that scored under 30.

tl;dr: generally reviews line up with where I'd expect the score to be based on prerelease info, if there's a sway in either direction i'll investigate as to why.

After reading a few of these review, it seems like the game might not be as epic in scope as I had hoped. Sure the graphics look incredible but it seems everything else is just decent or just good. I think I might hold out for the inevitable Black Friday deal on this one.

JimFear

Banned
is the shooting broken?. How many shots to the face should a baddie must get before dying?

Wtf, i do some headshot and they dont die?!
what kind of game is that? lol

Aaron said:
They're learning nothing from the GTA4 review debacle?

Come now, this game hardly has GTA4 levels of hype surrounding it and completely different review conditions.

Some people really like it, other people aren't as fond. Shocking stuff!

-htownplaya- said:
After reading a few of these review, it seems like the game might not be as epic in scope as I had hoped. Sure the graphics look incredible but it seems everything else is just decent or just good. I think I might hold out for the inevitable Black Friday deal on this one.

Even though that GT review renewed my interest in the game, I did notice that alot of the environments they showed Ive seen on other review, which leads me to believe similarly,

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
chri5t said:
I don't think I'll be getting this game. Another "brown" shooter doesn't really sell it for me. Anybody feel the same way?

Are you joking? A "brown" shooter? This game is extremely vibrant with colors. Jumping on the bandwagon are we?

SalsaShark said:
again, Ars Technica is cancer. I remember them even apologizin for some crappy review they did because of some reason? cant remember what happened exactly
That is just a senseless hyperbole . Ars Technica is a great website. Although I do agree that the gaming section is the weakest in quality.

Ben's style is very peculiar and sometimes a bit annoying, but he often makes some good points as well.

54-46!

I don't care much for the reviews since I already payed for it, but I'm curious what the Giant Bomb review will say.

Booshka

JimFear said:
i really cant stand all these pop up textures... im gonna trade this stinky turd tommorow.
What console are you playing on? Did you install the disc(s) if you are on 360?

Top Bottom