• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Demo up on eShop

Morts

Some of the content seemed simplified and too from previous hands-on events.

If anything, I would bet they cut/specified content just for this demo.

For instance the Muphy demo at previous events was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ifUrYosNmTc#t=244s

Like the hidden labyrinth section is less complex in the demo version (2 rings), where as in this video there's more turns and twists to go through, as well as three grab-rings.

In that case let's hope they only dumbed it down for the demo, and not permanently.

majik13

Some of the content seemed simplified and too from previous hands-on events.

If anything, I would bet they cut/specified content just for this demo.

For instance the Muphy demo at previous events was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ifUrYosNmTc#t=244s

Like the hidden labyrinth section is less complex in the demo version (2 rings), where as in this video there's more turns and twists to go through, as well as three grab-rings.

that just seems like possible a different level altogether. no?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wasn't sure if i was gonna buy this game, but the demo sold me. Castle Rock rocks! Hopefully there is more of these "musical" levels.

I like how the lady warrior animates. Especially when she swing that axe. :p

racerx77

Banned
I remember reading a while back that Rayman himself was not actually playable for a good chunk of the game. Is that still true, or was it just a rumor?

262 is the maximum single player score on castle rock right? I can see why that one isn't ranked like the others. it's pretty obvious whether you got all the lums or not just by playing it I feel.

Thoraxes

that just seems like possible a different level altogether. no?

Only the intro with Murphy controls (so how he's introduced because it is a Murphy-centric level) looked changed. The other parts are identical.

You can see how they've changed some of the level design (some different switches or platforms here or there, but as a whole starting with the slingshot, it's practically the same.

Some things changed are the hidden area entrances, some levers changed to those accordian looking things, some spiked objects don't have spikes on both sides, etc. The main difference is that a second part of the same level is here in this demo, whereas in the previous ones, it continues straight into a rhythm level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CmVoQ_SS5L0#t=124s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ifUrYosNmTc#t=105s

Some comparison shots (left is new demo, right is old demo):

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

This demo gives me high hopes for Rayman Legends. It is absolutely fantastic. The graphics and animations are superb. Controls are tight, the Gamepad is well utilized, and the music and humor add a nice touch to the overall charming atmosphere.

Scum

Took no time to download and install. Absolutely brilliant from I've played! 28/2 is too damn far away! :'-(

Ubisoft Montpellier's facebook http://www.facebook.com/UbisoftMontpellierStudio
posted my Miiverse drawing
3AQmK.gif
maybe they saw this thread

I'll easily be able to stretch out the 30 limit by Feb. 2013
I wonder what the delay was for? Do you think they added anything maybe first to use NFC?

Thoraxes

I'll easily be able to stretch out the 30 limit by Feb. 2013
I wonder what the delay was for? Do you think they added anything maybe first to use NFC?

I think a lot of it was for extra polish, but there's that part of me that thinks it's to space it from Mario to give it proper exposure and to stagger the releases of the games through the launch window.

bounchfx

One of the best 2d platformers I've played in a while, geez! Why can't 2d Mario be this pretty and not the gimpy NSMB art.

In addition, I totally want a new CV or mega man with this quality 2d art. I hope the game does really well

Xavien

Castle rock just confirmed that this game is day 1 for me, wow so much fun.

Combining music with platforming is genius.

105-3155 after taking about seven times as long as it should have to download =\

Just tried again. Second download wasn't too bad in terms of download speed, but errored at install again. To make things even more fun, the system locked up when I tried to load Batman after Rayman breaking.

Haven't had these kinds of troubles before, guess it just isn't my day.

zroid

Banned
Castle rock just confirmed that this game is day 1 for me, wow so much fun.

Combining music with platforming is genius.

large.jpg

it's done a bit differently here, though ;P

I hope the rhythm stages replace the treasure chase ones from Origins. The concept is essentially similar, but these seem to be far better designed.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
huh my tv went really blurry in castle rock when you have to punch the skulls on top when the screen is moving fast, wth i had this with no game at all and game mode is on.

is this a effect in the game itself?

jonno394

Looks, sounds and plays great. I'm assuming the music levels may well be the Legends equivalent of the running levels or end of world levels in Origins???

Anyway, what are the trophies for on the first two worlds? I have received two for the first level but none for the second...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Great demo. Motion control guided level wasn't so bad, but I hope they don't take up too greater portion of the game. A mix of classic levels with intermittent rock and motion stages would be very welcome.

Pixel Counter GAF! Is this game actually 720p or 1080p? I couldn't tell, because I was so immersed in the game! °_°
I still want to know though.

I would be surprised if it's running at 720p native. It looks 1080p to me.

The AI in the Murphy level really impressed me. Was able to get it to collect everything I could find on my first run without any hiccups. Never did anything stupid or died on me. I'm perfectly OK with these kinds of levels assuming they're about as frequent as the moskito levels in Origins.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as already mentioned, you are not supposed to be " Flicking your head back and forth between the screen and gamepad" what gives any indication that your are supposed to. You just play that whole part only looking at the gamepad. However there is nothing stopping someone from looking at the tv occasionally if they desire, but it is not required in the slightest. Otherwise, you look down at the pad for that part, and then look up when it is done. That is all.

Is this why some people dont like the touchscreen stuff, because they get confused?

I realised that about halfway through that level, but I guess I was just subconsciously looking at the TV expecting to control something - because I was just a moment ago on that same level? And in the demo at least that part just comes on suddenly. You're playing as rayman and then suddenly you're globox with some touch screen guy? Maybe just bad presentation demo-wise

The gyro bits you have to look at the screen for, but at least they make that clear.

I think it just took me some time to get into the flow because I wasn't expecting the big change from me controlling the main character.

zroid

Banned
And in the demo at least that part just comes on suddenly. You're playing as rayman and then suddenly you're globox with some touch screen guy? Maybe just bad presentation demo-wise

Yeah I admit that took me aback at first as well. It felt like I missed something because it was so sudden and seemingly without warning.

catabarez

I need to see how my girlfriend likes this. We usually play co op games together.

I'm still getting it whether she likes it or not.

Looks, sounds and plays great. I'm assuming the music levels may well be the Legends equivalent of the running levels or end of world levels in Origins???

Anyway, what are the trophies for on the first two worlds? I have received two for the first level but none for the second...
Did you free / find all the captives? Doesn't unlock anything from what I can tell, unfortunately.

I tried the demo yesterday, and it's pretty good, but I wish they had changed the some of the core gameplay mechanics. Especially the behavior of Rayman when he's not running, he's way too slow, and every time you punch something, it litterally stops you which once again ruins the flow of the game. Other than that it's pretty good, great level design, lots of variety, lots of charm and personality.

I'm not a big fan of the new stuff (rhythm level and touch screen stuff), I hope there won't be too much of these stuff in the final game.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, my opinion isn't exactly unique here but hey:

The touchscreen part of the demo was ok but nothing special, and I'd rather not be playing them compared to the rest of the demo.

Aside from that I was pretty happy with it. The game looks amazing, it plays very well, and the Castle Rock level was brilliant fun, more of that please.

Already have a pre-order down, I'm sure the game will be excellent come February.

luffeN

Download not available
File not found.

From videos it seems Lum Kings are gone, thank god, the music that played when collecting one drove me insane in Origins.

It seems that the daily download limit of 30GB has been reached. But it should work now.

Edit: Try it again please, only 7 downloads and I should have 30GB a day and 7 * 90MB are 630MB, strange! Here is the link:

eXistor

Yup download was surprisingly fast for me too. Anyway, I loved the demo. I hope the platforming levels will be the meat of the game, but the other styles could prove to be a lot of fun. The gamepad assist levels are normally co-op right? I thought they worked great in sp as well either way.

Kandinsky

It seems that the daily download limit of 30GB has been reached. But it should work now.

Edit: Try it again please, only 7 downloads and I should have 30GB a day and 7 * 90MB are 630MB, strange! Here is the link:
GORGEOUS, It's so hard to resist having the console sealed on the next room, just waiting to be opened D:

Btw I lol'd at your Cammy moment at the start haha.

Thanks!

luffeN

GORGEOUS, It's so hard to resist having the console sealed on the next room, just waiting to be opened D:

Btw I lol'd at your Cammy moment at the start haha.

Thanks!

I don't get the reference but you probably mean the near instant death right? lol

Top Bottom