• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Demo up on eShop

Pejo

Gold Member
I played the demo last night, all 3 levels. I had done the castle rock one in the Gamestop demo, and it's still just as fantastic if not a little too easy.

The big news for me was that the Murfy level was a lot of fun. I think i can appreciate it MUCH more after playing Rayman Jungle Run for Android. In fact, i'd be surprised if Ubi doesn't just port the Murfy levels over to iOS and Android after Legends comes out.

This + Bayonetta were my 2 reasons for getting a WiiU and so far this doesnt' disappoint in the least.

Digital Foundry have got a review of the demo up.
It is 1080p at 60fps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-rayman-legends-wii-u-demo

boy am I surprised!

*sigh*. people are never going to stop asking this question. I've given people the answer every time it's come up. If people playing the game can't figure it out themselves, I don't know what to say other than 'if you can't tell, why do you care?'

I don't really get how anyone can load up the game and start playing and not instantly know that it's 1080p and 60 fps.

edit: I chuckled when they said 'Rayman Legends plays out almost entirely at 1080p60 with just one unnoticeable frame-rate drop logged at the end of one of the levels.' because I noticed that framedrop every time I played Castle Rock. It's not an issue or anything, but for me the difference between locked 60 fps and something even slightly under that is massive due to motion inconsistencies. I do not miss 3:2 pull down.

amazing demo is amazing anyway. march is going to be sweet. does the full version have offscreen play? it should work for the most part, but it'd kind of get tripped up by the things you have to rotate without some rejigging.

ced

My Wii U redeemed by a demo!

I actually really enjoyed the Murphy touchscreen parts, but the tilting sucks, just like every motion thing.

bumpkin

Castle Rock!

Loved Origins. Getting this for sure.
That first time the monsters pop up with the "blah dee blah" or whatever they say, I grinned from ear to ear. If the other musically themed levels are anywhere near as charming, I for one will be quite pleased!

majik13

I realised that about halfway through that level, but I guess I was just subconsciously looking at the TV expecting to control something - because I was just a moment ago on that same level? And in the demo at least that part just comes on suddenly. You're playing as rayman and then suddenly you're globox with some touch screen guy? Maybe just bad presentation demo-wise

The gyro bits you have to look at the screen for, but at least they make that clear.

I think it just took me some time to get into the flow because I wasn't expecting the big change from me controlling the main character.

yeah it is a little unexpected. There should be some better transition, and i too didn't understand where rayman went. maybe that is a way to tell you that you are no longer controlling the guy on screen, by making it a different character?

Davey Cakes

The Murfy (Murphy?) section was a bit jarring in the sense that they throw you into it and you have to figure out how to play between the two screens.

In the end it was still fun though, and simple enough to understand. I can imagine these points in the game to be the sorts of things you get used to, with the concept improving over time as the player becomes more acclimated with the transition, objectives and the touch-screen gameplay.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I know they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but dayym! Oh, and the best 2D->3D->2D transitions I've seen in my entire life. Bravo, Ancel et al! Vanillaware would've been proud (or envious - either one or the other).

It looks gorgeous. I hate to sound like a broken record though, but I have no interest in the Murphy gameplay. It just doesn't do anything for me; I certainly wont be rushing out to buy a console for it. They could do stuff like that on an iPhone if they really wanted to. The actual platforming however looks to be fantastic. Sort of a more refined version Origins. The music stages look a lot of fun, as the treasure chest chases were in Origins.

I don't know. I love Rayman and I'm happy to see more of him. If I had a Wii U already I would almost certainly be getting this. On the other hand though, seeing gimmicky segments like with Murphy put me off more than anything. It just feels like the devs are jumping up and down yelling "Look what we can do!" even though the mechanic they're yelling about really is nothing special or new.

Silkworm

I wonder if the game can be played fully in co op. I would be really dissapointed if only a small part of the game is 2p

I'm pretty sure the game was designed with co-op in mind, so I would think this would be a given. From the Rayman Legends website :

5-Player Co-op Gameplay: Now more players can join in on the fun! With 4 Wii™ Remotes™ and the new Wii U controller, up to 5 players can play at once. At any time if someone wants to leave or join in, the game will continue without interruption.

Does that mean "fully", I suppose that could be up to interpretation but I would hope so :)

kinggroin

Banned
boy am I surprised!

*sigh*. people are never going to stop asking this question. I've given people the answer every time it's come up. If people playing the game can't figure it out themselves, I don't know what to say other than 'if you can't tell, why do you care?'

I don't really get how anyone can load up the game and start playing and not instantly know that it's 1080p and 60 fps.

edit: I chuckled when they said 'Rayman Legends plays out almost entirely at 1080p60 with just one unnoticeable frame-rate drop logged at the end of one of the levels.' because I noticed that framedrop every time I played Castle Rock. It's not an issue or anything, but for me the difference between locked 60 fps and something even slightly under that is massive due to motion inconsistencies. I do not miss 3:2 pull down.

amazing demo is amazing anyway. march is going to be sweet. does the full version have offscreen play? it should work for the most part, but it'd kind of get tripped up by the things you have to rotate without some rejigging.

Framerate dropping? You mean that 1 or 2 frame drop just as you jump through the flame tunnel at the end? I notice it too.

I played the demo last night, all 3 levels. I had done the castle rock one in the Gamestop demo, and it's still just as fantastic if not a little too easy.

The big news for me was that the Murfy level was a lot of fun. I think i can appreciate it MUCH more after playing Rayman Jungle Run for Android. In fact, i'd be surprised if Ubi doesn't just port the Murfy levels over to iOS and Android after Legends comes out.

This + Bayonetta were my 2 reasons for getting a WiiU and so far this doesnt' disappoint in the least.

Great experience for me as well on the Murphy levels. I couldn't help but smile all the way through because I actually was having fun. It seems that Ubisoft actually put the touch-screen through its paces and really found a way to implement it into the gameplay instead of just sticking a map screen down there.

Weird that Ubisoft of all people have so far used the touch screen to its strengths so far with Zombi U and Rayman.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It looks gorgeous. I hate to sound like a broken record though, but I have no interest in the Murphy gameplay. It just doesn't do anything for me; I certainly wont be rushing out to buy a console for it. They could do stuff like that on an iPhone if they really wanted to. The actual platforming however looks to be fantastic. Sort of a more refined version Origins. The music stages look a lot of fun, as the treasure chest chases were in Origins.

I don't know. I love Rayman and I'm happy to see more of him. If I had a Wii U already I would almost certainly be getting this. On the other hand though, seeing gimmicky segments like with Murphy put me off more than anything. It just feels like the devs are jumping up and down yelling "Look what we can do!" even though the mechanic they're yelling about really is nothing special or new.
IMO the Murphy stuff felt like they just shoved it in as a cheap way of utilising the hardware (similar to early DS games) and the constant 'now look at the tv screen to perform this action' was just a nuisance more than anything. I'd prefer them to remove the Murphy levels and allow for off-TV play. Won't happen though. Rest of the demo was nice.

Thoraxes

IMO the Murphy stuff felt like they just shoved it in as a cheap way of utilising the hardware (similar to early DS games) and the constant 'now look at the tv screen to perform this action' was just a nuisance more than anything. I'd prefer them to remove the Murphy levels and allow for off-TV play. Won't happen though. Rest of the demo was nice.

I tried it with a family member in co-op, and I honestly feel it's the best way for the game to be played. They aren't big gamers, so it was really easy for them to get a grasp on Murphy and jump in and have fun working together.

Are you serious? I had the most fun with this section. It was fresh and felt like it had never been done before this way, despite it being pretty much ideas we've seen on iPad and other app-styled games on the platform. It just felt like a refreshing way to play on a home console and not tacked on at all.

Lucent

I just played this and discovered something funny. If you play as the viking girl, you can run and then hold down and she'll pull throw her axe under her feet and grind on it like a sled. I found this funny to do on the Castle Rock level for the first part but once you get to the parts where you have to hit the piles of skulls you gotta stop or you'll get caught by the flames. lol.

Madouu

I just played this and discovered something funny. If you play as the viking girl, you can run and then hold down and she'll pull throw her axe under her feet and grind on it like a sled. I found this funny to do on the Castle Rock level for the first part but once you get to the parts where you have to hit the piles of skulls you gotta stop or you'll get caught by the flames. lol.

Yeah there's some very cool work done on the characters animations, I've spent a few minutes on the main screen just studying every animation with a big smile on my face.

Loved the demo, except for the single-player play through of the first level. I feel like Murphy should be controlled by the AI, not the other way around. It was way too boring cutting ropes and tickling enemies while an AI slowly walked forward.

Other than that, it was fantastic. Especially the music in the Toad whatever level. It created a fantastic atmosphere. Also can't wait for the other music/rhythm levels. That was a blast.

Also, the game is just gorgeous. Can't wait to see the "wow" moments of the final game.

Are you serious? I had the most fun with this section. It was fresh and felt like it had never been done before this way, despite it being pretty much ideas we've seen on iPad and other app-styled games on the platform. It just felt like a refreshing way to play on a home console and not tacked on at all.

Hmm, that's the complete opposite of how I see it. I don't really see it as refreshing. Actually, it kind of disappoints me we're seeing stuff like this on home consoles. That's what handhelds and (especially) smart devices are for. You have limited control, so you design your game to deal with that. Having an automated AI character run through the level while the player presses different parts of the screen to help them sounds to me like a mechanic that would be introduced if you have limited control. When you're sitting there with a controller that has two analog sticks and lots of buttons, it seems needless. I'm with Ollie Pooch on this one, but each to their own.

I can't stop playing this demo. I love playing as Murphy way more than the actual platforming so thankfully my friends all prefer the platforming. Really hope we get more 2D games like this.

Teknoman

I can't stop playing this demo. I love playing as Murphy way more than the actual platforming so thankfully my friends all prefer the platforming. Really hope we get more 2D games like this.

Whats cool is that both options are fast and fun. Doesnt hurt the game is beautiful and sounds great :D Toad Story and dat Castle Rock.

zroid

Banned
This is probably going to be sacrilegious to some people, but I wish the Wiimote controls assigned sprint to the 1 button and attack to waggle. Pressing B to sprint (which is pretty much always) is deeply annoying.

Anyway, I played Teensies in "solo co-op" and it was fun. Everything except the gyro parts were straightforward -- I just played with the Wiimote, looking at the GamePad screen on my lap, while extending my index finger when necessary to cut a rope or whatever. Gyro was predictably a... challenge, but I managed to hold the GamePad between my palms while gripping the Wiimote with my fingers, and it was manageable. Awkward, but manageable.

I don't know how realistic this would be for more challenging stages, but in the demo it was nice.

HOLEEE SHEET this is a good looking game. And its integration with the gamepad is pretty fantastic. This did for me what every demo maker probably hopes--it made this game a likely buy for me.

Skilletor

Felt like what a platforming game on iOS would feel like to me.

I didn't enjoy it at all.

zroid

Banned
Castle Rock's fun, just a bit too easy, so I'm not getting a whole lot of replay value from it. I'd love for later rhythm stages to get more complex along the lines of a HarmoKnight or Bit.Trip Runner, where you can take multiple paths in some cases.

kizmah

Took me about 15 mins to download and install the demo. And it was a blast! Beautiful game and great and varied gameplay. I enjoyed the Murphy-level as much as Castle Rock. I never really liked Rayman but this demo certainly made me interesteed. Job well done I suppose.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I tried it with a family member in co-op, and I honestly feel it's the best way for the game to be played. They aren't big gamers, so it was really easy for them to get a grasp on Murphy and jump in and have fun working together.
For that use I can see it would be fun, but (selfishly) my love of Origins was from the split second reflexes needed for some of the platforming, speed runs, etc, not the coop oriented stuff - hope this game delivers in that regard. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly let down by the demo due to those levels- hopeful it'll be great as a whole.

One of the rare occurrence where a demo sells me on the game as opposed from the reverse. Well done ubi soft.

Top Bottom