• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Demo up on eShop

Finally got to try this. Looks and sounds ready nice, Castle Rock is cool, Murfy is intrusive guff. Would prefer the AI control him than a plodding Globox.

Neiteio

I didn't click with Origins when I tried it on my PS3, but something about Legends works so well. I read in Nintendo Power that the jump kick has been changed so that your momentum continues rather than being canceled, and that the platforming is being refined in general. I also read that the stages are being made more readable, and of course I can tell from the demo that the inclusion of 3D elements makes the stages feel more layered and less flat than before. Perhaps these all add up for a faster, more fluid experience where the progression of platforming and stage interaction just comes more naturally now? Because whatever the case may be, I took to Legends right away when before I struggled finding my groove with Origins.

It also seems they've dialed down some of the more... annoying sound effects from Origins. And to my great surprise, the most exciting element of all is the one I thought I'd like the least: Murfy! (It is spelled Murfy, right?) I tried him both in single-player, where the AI resumes control of the platformer character, and in multiplayer, where a friend was platforming while I played Murfy on the GamePad. In both cases, I had a lot of fun. I think what makes Murfy so effective in this game is the constant barrage of stuff you can do: severing ropes to lower bridges, shunting around platforms lickety-split, defeating enemies and highlighting collectibles, and so on. The part in the one level where you zip platforms up and down and back and forth and poke the flying fire baddies in-between was nonstop action for the GamePad user and created a great back-and-forth with the AI or other player who was platforming. It's strangely addictive being Murfy!

So between the airtight platforming, the gorgeous graphics, the lovely audio, and the surprisingly fun GamePad play, I'm 100 percent sold on this game, thanks to the demo.

zroid

Banned
You can use the GamePad as a screen while playing with a Wiimote, though. Not an ideal solution, but it works well enough.

edit: Oh, well that's good to know.

zroid

Banned
It does support up to 4 Wii U pro classic controllers for local multiplayer. Wii remote controllers are also supported.

I do know about Pro Controllers, but I was wondering if I could use Wii Classic Controllers. I hate playing with the Wiimotes because it's so awkward to use B to sprint. :(

Top Bottom