• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Ops |OT| PC lesser race finally joins in the battle against oppression

Dakota47

This is one of the laziest ports I have ever had the misfortune of playing. First there was the loading screen saying that the game was best played on a game pad. I don't own one for my PC because I prefer to use keyboard and mouse, but I decided to go on regardless. Then I got this:

Qxyop.jpg

There is no fucking start button on my keyboard, so I went with Enter. That worked, pfew. On to the menu screen. I was moving my mouse around frantically but no cursor appeared. As it turned out you can only navigate with your arrow keys and the Enter Start button. While grumbling I upped the resolution from 720p to 1080p (ironic if you think about it) and booted up the game. It looked quite good but it handled like a bitch. Avalanche simply remapped the left stick to WASD and the right stick to the mouse. That makes anything but moving straight up and down or left and right very hard. After about five minutes of trying to control my buggy that buckled around the level like a horse that still needs to be broken in I gave up.

Avalanche Studios lost a lot of my kudos with this. Sure, you can blame Sega for the lousy handling of the release, but this dismally bad port is entirely Avalanche's fault. They better not fuck up the PC port of Just Cause 3.

Turfster

Dakota47 said:
It looked quite good but it handled like a bitch. Avalanche simply remapped the left stick to WASD and the right stick to the mouse. That makes anything but moving straight up and down or left and right very hard. After about five minutes of trying to control my buggy that buckled around the level like a horse that still needs to be broken in I gave up.
Tank handling (up for more speed, down for slow/reverse, left for turning left, right for turning right), which you can turn on in the options, makes it a lot better on kb/m. It's not perfect, but at least you can drive it.

Firebrand

Just tried the game and yeah... it's not working. The main menu was spending more time frozen than responding until I switched over to windowed mode. But then actual gameplay was 60 FPS for 10-15 seconds, followed by a couple of seconds frozen and soundlooping, repeat.

I'm worried that even if they sort out the freezing it's still be stuttering from background streaming just like way too many other console ports.

duckroll

Firebrand said:
Just tried the game and yeah... it's not working. The main menu was spending more time frozen than responding until I switched over to windowed mode. But then actual gameplay was 60 FPS for 10-15 seconds, followed by a couple of seconds frozen and soundlooping, repeat.

I'm worried that even if they sort out the freezing it's still be stuttering from background streaming just like way too many other console ports.

The stuttering is something that was introduced after the first patch. You can fix it the same way you could fix the game not launching at all on certain setups: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2206805

It's unfortunate that Avalaunch sucks so much at fixing this game, but at least someone else fixed it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dakota47 said:
Avalanche simply remapped the left stick to WASD and the right stick to the mouse. That makes anything but moving straight up and down or left and right very hard. After about five minutes of trying to control my buggy that buckled around the level like a horse that still needs to be broken in I gave up.

There isn't really any way around this with twin stick shooters. Keyboard just doesn't work for analog control.

Maxirugi

Isn't Bastion's control scheme pretty much the same?

Only difference is Bastion is built to be played from an isometric perspective so you're mostly going in diagonal directions, which is fine for WASD. The levels in Renegade Ops aren't so its harder to drive at the correct angles for the roads.

I suppose that's why they put in the tank steering mode, but then you can't make turns as quickly. Still, I don't really see a way of getting this to work outside of completely overhauling the maps to make them more isometric/grid-based.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Both Alien Swam and Bastion have you controlling a character with a full range of motion though. In R:Ops you control a vehicle with momentum and an actual turning radius. It's completely different.

Firebrand

Game patched, the game seems to be working correctly now on my dualcore without freezes, in both fullscreen and windowed mode. Only tried singleplayer for a few minutes though.

Inkblot

Just finished it, expected a bigger ending, but hey, what a fucking great game

2011-10-28_00015.jpg

And a tip, don't play the last level in the daytime on a small filthy screen, not the ideal experience:

IMG_0155.jpg

Sysgen

Sarcasm said:
Great now I am back to crashing upon start up.

It would be nice if I could play the game.

If you have USB sound you have to set it to at max 5.1. 7.1 and you're in the dumper.

Sysgen

Sarcasm said:
When and if the game starts up, I do that in game?

Before you start the game in (Assuming Windows 7) Control Panel -> Sound -> (Choose the current sound device) -> Configure. Happened to me (I7-920) so I know it works.

Sarcasm

Sysgen said:
Before you start the game in (Assuming Windows 7) Control Panel -> Sound -> (Choose the current sound device) -> Configure. Happened to me (I7-920) so I know it works.

So I hit next and than just unlock so Side pair is only checked?

NKM3l.png

Haunted

Game works flawlessly here, controller support is excellent. Looks great in 1080p and runs smoothly without stuttering or other issues.

I'm counting myself lucky.

I've played Gatling Gears before this, and it's basically the same, yet Renegade Ops just feels so much better. Great game.

Tokubetsu

Was gonna wait on a sale but I couldn't resist. Game runs well, looks great, and sounds amazing. Nice bass! My sub is getting a little exercise.

SmokyDave

I was really enjoying this but now every time I attempt to start level 7 I get booted to desktop and told that AVA_MAIN has fucked up :(

Sigh.

Nabs

Inkblot said:
Just finished it, expected a bigger ending, but hey, what a fucking great game

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Dr_Inkblot/2011-10-28_00015.jpg[/IMG]

And a tip, don't play the last level in the daytime on a small filthy screen, not the ideal experience:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Dr_Inkblot/IMG_0155.jpg[/IMG]

Why are you posting BF3 screenshots in this thread?

PaulLFC

Wasn't impressed when I found a bug within a couple of minutes of starting the game on PC. Had my headphones plugged in when the first cutscene started playing, decided I wanted to listen to it through my speakers, unplugged my headphones and... the game froze. Happens every time during a movie as well, even the Avalanche logo.

No idea what the delay was for, this is shoddy. Since I work as a tester I won't say "they didn't employ testers" as they probably did - most likely they just didn't bother to fix most of the bugs that were found. Poor effort Avalanche.

duckroll

Tokubetsu said:
The "Gather 20 prisoners for the church" secondary objective in the first mission is the hardest in the game.

It's only hard if you do it as a side mission while focusing on the main objectives. On the other hand, if you just keep saving prisoners while ignoring the main objective, it's pretty easy. Just ignore each main objectives until you have like a minute or so left to complete it.

hayguyz

Banned
Is there a problem with high scores? I'm playing on PS3 and my scores from levels isn't being listed on the stage select. Maybe I'm missing something obvious...

1-D_FTW

hayguyz said:
Is there a problem with high scores? I'm playing on PS3 and my scores from levels isn't being listed on the stage select. Maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Do you have friends who've played it? Seems like the top 5 friend scores get displayed (Steam) and if you're not among the best, they don't list yours.

Seeing as the PSN version has been patched I'm looking for a few people who would be willing to be play through the game on hardcore difficulty tomorrow at 8pm EST. Add me if interested.

PSN name: parathod

Decado

Seeing as the PSN version has been patched I'm looking for a few people who would be willing to be play through the game on hardcore difficulty tomorrow at 8pm EST. Add me if interested.

PSN name: parathod
Patch for the ps3 version? What does it do? Haven't heard about it.

This is one of my favourite downloadable games.

Patch for the ps3 version? What does it do? Haven't heard about it.

This is one of my favourite downloadable games.

Not sure, but I'm guessing that most bugs are out at this point. They also are distributing the code for the vehicle pack dlc that was promised for October for all who preordered the game.

soldat7

Wow. This game totally slipped under my radar. It's not possible for me to play this on PC, so PSN or XBLA? Is there a superior version of the two?

Firebrand

LONDON (19th December, 2011) SEGA® Europe Ltd. are excited to announce details of new premium downloadable content for Renegade Ops™, the story expansion Coldstrike Campaign and The Reinforcement Pack. Play in single player or multiplayer from 21st December on the PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC Digital Download.

As the Renegade Ops storyline continues, the plot thickens with a new nemesis revealing themself, Coldstrike. The Coldstrike Campaign pack contains three new icy levels and challenges, with the aim to defeat the cold-hearted enemy in arctic environments. Watch out for the Golems, large armoured Drone factories that continuously produce low-flying enemies. The Coldstrike Campaign will be priced at £3.59 for the PlayStation®Network, and 400MSP for Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The Reinforcement Pack* introduces new heroes Crystal and Blazemo; both join the elite fighting unit equipped with their own unique abilities and weapons to help wreak ultimate destruction on their enemies. Crystal, a known military operative, comes to the team with her custom armoured vehicle and her ability to produce a large force field, absorbing enemy weapons to give you and your team time to breathe. Navigating Blazemo’s off-road Racer enables you to drive across all terrains whilst destroying everything in your path. Blazemo gets his name from the catastrophic damage caused by burning environments and enemies with a stream of intense fire from his special weapon, the Incinerator. The Reinforcement Pack will be priced at £1.99 for the PlayStation®Network, and 240MSP for Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.
http://www.sega.com/news/?n=5514

Turfster

Okay, I have the DLC on my HD (about 600 meg worth) and the steam pages for them tell me I already own them... but I can't use them in Renegade ops. Anyone?

Nabs

Okay, I have the DLC on my HD (about 600 meg worth) and the steam pages for them tell me I already own them... but I can't use them in Renegade ops. Anyone?

When you go to play a level you should be able to switch to the new Campaign.

1-D_FTW

Pre-ordered and nothing. Seems completely random then.

EDIT: WTF. That's a pleasant surprise. It's now showing as complimentary in the DLC tab. Hmm.

Top Bottom