• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Monocle will like this episode indeed, lots of hunk shots.

Loved this episode, the series is becoming a guilty pleasure of mine - like the pacing too. This show is a keeper. I wish another actress portrayed Ms. Grundy - her delivery isn't that great.

kirblar

The Grundy stuff reminds me of what they did with Pacey at the very beginning of Dawson's Creek where the series opens up with him sleeping with his teacher. That too started during the summer. Thankfully this might be ending very quickly as said while that lasted for a while in DC.
It's a deliberate homage to it.

Alienfan

Some of those Netflix titles for the upcoming episodes may as well be a plot summary for the entire season. They seem very spoilery

Archie and Veronica might be the hottest characters on TV right now

What time will ep 2 be up on Netflix?

delume

I'm in. First episode was engaging and fun. I am thankful for every bit of escapist entertainment I can find these days.

Monocle

Monocle will like this episode indeed, lots of hunk shots.

Loved this episode, the series is becoming a guilty pleasure of mine - like the pacing too. This show is a keeper. I wish another actress portrayed Ms. Grundy - her delivery isn't that great.
I'm so ready!

I watched the first episode, and yep, Archie is a right proper stud. I am sold.

I needed another show with top quality mancandy now that Teen Wolf is ending.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 2 Thoughts
- #RiverdaleStrong
- The back of Cheryl's cheer shirt says "HBIC" lol
- Damn, Betty got some venom
- Grundy is definitely messing with Archie's head to keep him quiet.
- Everybody Hates Jughead. Aww. Glad him and Archie were able to reconcile though.
- Josie whew Lord. Dogsweating.gif
- Double chocolate milkshake for the dark haired vixen, old fashioned vanilla for the girl next door. I see you, Riverdale.

Good episode. I liked where it left things. Especially with the core four (Archie, Betty, Jughead, and Veronica) now being friends. I was crossing my fingers that all the animus floating around wouldn't last all season.

Monocle

Oh god I started the second episode and Archie is impossibly hot. That face and body are too much. How do people manage to talk to this red hot sex bomb without melting? UNF.

Episode 2 was great. I really like how the balance the hokier elements of classic Archie with the darker stuff, and neither feels out of place.

Chase17

Good episode.

But what we really need to look into is how Jughead entered the booth. Is it rude? Cool? Practical? This is the key question from that episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good episode.

But what we really need to look into is how Jughead entered the booth. Is it rude? Cool? Practical? This is the key question from that episode.

Rude. I'd only allow it in a bar scenario, when no food is around. But if I'm eating, I don't want Jughead's Wednesday Addams shitkickers at eye level.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Great episode, even better than the first. So much fun. They're nailing it with the characters and the vibe so far. Great chemistry all around between the cast too.

Episode 2 had a 0.4 in the demo, down from a 0.5 with the premiere. CW is a network less concerned than others with demo #s, especially with the Netflix deal, but it's still not ideal news.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-ratings-2-2-2017.html
I hope the Netflix numbers are better.

Pachimari

Close, but nothing tops Dobrev for me. Vampire Diaries at its peak was such an amazing show.
Nina will always be number one.

I don't know, I'm worried at those ratings, even though it's the CW and they have that Netflix deal on the International market, it's still concerning.

About to watch this week's episode.

Slaythe

I think the reception is really good from critics and viewers.

The problem is that not many people watched it to begin with.

That was a strong episode 2.

The characters are great because they act properly like real people, they don't drag shitty teen drama over 5 episodes like most cw shows.

I still think this would benefit from having a more... hum... interesting mystery ?

Having the group investigate and stuff could be a cool side thing to the relationships.

Here it's kinda bland. I'm sure it will pick up though. The problem is... I feel this show was written with a "binge" in mind, where people can just enjoy it at their own pace and get a good story out of it.

Not sure it will help them "hook" viewers first on a weekly basis. Hopefully they don't get cancelled.

Love the art direction and cast in this show. It's great.

Solo

Watched the premiere. It was decent, enough that I'll keep watching for now, but LMAO @ Twin Peaks comparisons. No, just no.

Joni

Betty is kinda bitchy. Veronica has been nothing but sweet to her.

Watched the premiere. It was decent, enough that I'll keep watching for now, but LMAO @ Twin Peaks comparisons. No, just no.

It is a CW show. 3 weeks until they introduce the supernatural element like Twin Peaks.

Grizzlyjin

Betty was incredibly out of line at times in this episode, but like mugurumakensei said, she was processing Archie's rejection. That was actually my favorite part of Episode 2, it felt like Betty was at the center. She seemingly bounced back up real quick because she's Ms. Reliable and is everything for everyone. But she neglected herself and the stress built up.

Veronica fucked up a little, aside from that she's been nothing but good to everybody. Archie's a bit of a doofus but he has the abs of a Greek god, so he could literally get away with murder. Spoiler Alert for next season of How to Get Away With Murder: Have abs like Archie and show them in court. Not Guilty

Blues1990

I really love how much of a 'bitchy trampoline' Cheryl is. She covers most of the tiers of maliciousness, and it continues to escalate to a greater degree whenever she's on screen.

Really good episode. I agree with most on the Archie and Grundy plot. The Grundy stuff is the thing I'm eh about and I'm pretty sure she said that stuff just to help keep Archie's mouth shut.

Did not expect that ending at all. The part where he lived longer then assumed at least.

I'm expecting some twist where Betty's mom and Cheryl's dad had an affair or something and him choosing to stay with his wife drove her to hate the family. Something that connects her to the family to explain why she hated them seemingly before Polly and Jason broke up.

Still sticking with my theory Betty's dad killed Jason.

Fuu

Really curious about that "he was supposed to come back" Cheryl let slip to Veronica in the locker room.

Pachimari

Finished the episode and it was even better than the pilot. I'm so a hundred percent in on this till the end. I love cast, art, atmosphere and relations. I don't like Ms Grudge, she's only looking out for herself and her job but still. I didn't like Jughead at the start of this episode and thought I would grow annoyed with him but the opposite happened when he accepted Archie's apology and moved on. That slip from Cheryl about Jason not being supposed to come back was interesting too, seems like she played a part in her brothers demise, but I'm not biting on the guilty card.

How many episodes are we getting?

On a side note; I really want Jughead's hat ...
My exact thought during the episode lol.

Glad you guys liked it!!
This is the most I've enjoyed a show since the start of it, ever since I started watching tv with The Vampire Diaries. I'm loving it.

Fuu

Finished the episode and it was even better than the pilot. I'm so a hundred percent in on this till the end. I love cast, art, atmosphere and relations. I don't like Ms Grudge, she's only looking out for herself and her job but still. I didn't like Jughead at the start of this episode and thought I would grow annoyed with him but the opposite happened when he accepted Archie's apology and moved on. That slip from Cheryl about Jason not being supposed to come back was interesting too, seems like she played a part in her brothers demise, but I'm not biting on the guilty card.

How many episodes are we getting?

My exact thought during the episode lol.
13 episodes this season.

Cheryl actually said "he was supposed to come back". It sounds like he left the boat to do something and things went haywire. I'm thinking that it's probably related to the reason for their boat trip and that it wasn't just a leisure trip to being with.

C: Jason. (SNIFFLING) He's gone... (SOBBING)
V: I know. I know he is.
C: No, you don't. You don't understand. He was supposed to come back.

Pachimari

13 episodes this season.

Cheryl actually said "he was supposed to come back". It sounds like he left the boat to do something and things went haywire. I'm thinking that it's probably related to the reason for their boat trip and that it wasn't just a leisure trip to being with.

C: Jason. (SNIFFLING) He's gone... (SOBBING)
V: I know. I know he is.
C: No, you don't. You don't understand. He was supposed to come back
Yes, I also thought about it this way. And couldn't decide if it was this or the other scenario. I guess we'll see.

Oh 13 episodes, I'm fine with that. :)

Fuu

Dark Jughead is pretty cool now that we've seen more of him.

The way Dark Betty and him actually talked out their problems with their friends like human beings was like... Revelatory for a teen drama.

Arrow could learn so much from this.
Yeah, friends talking things out and actually trying to understand each other was part of what gave this episode such good pacing for me. Hopefully this is a constant through the season because I can't stand drama where characters conceal shit just so they can keep misunderstanding each other for longer.

carlsojo

Yeah I'm already addicted to this show. The cast is so, so good.

Betty 1000% killed Jason. That girl is packing a lot of crazy.

Well I am pretty sure that at the end of the episode with Cheryl saying that "he was supposed to come back" means that they were trying to fake his death for some reason or other and he was supposed to show up alive later on down the line. Not sure of the motive for it yet.

My long term guess is that he didn't die that day, he was living in the wild for a while, someone captured him and tied him up (those were the ligature marks on him during the autopsy scene) and held for a while before being disposed of back into the river. This would explain why they didn't find his body when they dredged the river during the summer.

Also, I call dibs on Veronica. She is my type of girl 100%.

Sou Da

Those eyebrows on Veronica are something else. For the first time I feel real attraction to a CW character.

Top Bottom