• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Platy

It is not pedophilia though. It might not even be statutory rape if he is 16. When these things happen in real life, it is the power thing that gets them convicted most of the times.

A tv show failing to show that rape is related to power when it is a male kid fucking a hot adult ?
THAT MUST BE THE FIRST TIME

Sorry .. that was a complete deal breaker for the series to me.

VegiHam

So much of this show is in this weird Schrodinger Zone where it's either good or bad but we don't know yet until we find out more. Like, is Veronica into Betty or is it just bait? Is this thing with the music teacher gonna be played as a romance or actually treated as statutory rape? Are generic mean girl and generic gay dude going to have more depth than that? Until I see where this is going I don't wanna dismiss these elements of the show; but I could see any of them being weak points.

I like that Archie is believably hot enough to have multiple girls interested, though. But he seems kinda bland, I dunno if it's the script or the acting but I kinda don't really care about him yet. That "I'm not good enough for you" moment was kinda out of nowhere and felt unearned. I did like the part where Josie just straight up shuts him down though. Like how dare he walk in there expecting them to just hop onboard his narrative arc when they have their own shit going on.

Betty I liked, seems like she has a lot going on under the surface. I'm not familiar with the comics, but she's the bland nice one right? So it's cool to see that that's kinda preformative and she has a lot of nuance. And, obviously, Veronica is the best part of the whole thing right now, we can all agree on that right? Feels like she walked in here from season 3 of some other show with a lot of development already; and the actress just sells it so well. Ranting at Cheryl was a bit hammy; but I loved her total disinterest in Archie's Art vs Sport drama.

So yeah cautiously optimistic I guess?

Replicant

Even when it had pedophilia and shitty bisexual objetification to straight dudes ?

WTF?

Archie is old enough for the affair not to be classified that.

And it's not unusual to see a 'straight' guy hitting on another guy. Especially when they are deeply closeted. Or you meant Betty/Veronica kiss?

Platy

WTF?

Archie is old enough for the affair not to be classified that.

And it's not unusual to see a 'straight' guy hitting on another guy. Especially when they are deeply closeted. Or you meant Betty/Veronica kiss?

I mean the totaly gratuitous Betty/Veronica kiss.

Might not be classified as that in your state/country but a 15/16 year student kissing an adult teacher is fucking weird to me

Joni

A tv show failing to show that rape is related to power when it is a male kid fucking a hot adult ?
THAT MUST BE THE FIRST TIME

Sorry .. that was a complete deal breaker for the series to me.

Seems like you completely misread it then because she clearly knows she fucked up. And it was the first episode, so maybe they'll actually do something more with it.

Might not be classified as that in your state/country but a 15/16 year student kissing an adult teacher is fucking weird to me

There are actual classifications to this, pedophilia concerns pre-teen kids.

Pluto

I'm a long time Archie fan and I loved it. Where's Midge though?
Probably dropped as a character because Moose is fucking Kevin, he doesn't need his own female love interest if his story is about him dealing with his sexuality
If the writers want him to hit on a girl in an attempt to appear straight for a few episodes those scenes can be given to Veronica or Cheryl. At the end of the season Moose will probbaly be out and dating Kevin.

Slaythe

Probably dropped as a character because Moose is fucking Kevin, he doesn't need his own female love interest if his story is about him dealing with his sexuality
If the writers want him to hit on a girl in an attempt to appear straight for a few episodes those scenes can be given to Veronica or Cheryl. At the end of the season Moose will probbaly be out and dating Kevin.

He can also, you know, be bi curious and also into girls...

I don't see why it'd have to be closet gay every time.

Pluto

He can also, you know, be bi curious and also into girls...

I don't see why it'd have to be closet gay every time.
Kevin is gay and to avoid criticism that they only use him as the celibate gay best friend who cheers for the straight couples he will date and have a sex life. If he and Moose stop seeing each other the show would have to introduce a new love interest and I don't see them doing that, at least not in the first season.
Moose is a secondary supporting character at best, he will get a bit of focus but not a lot, being the closeted gay character and tying his story to Kevin gives him a nice arc, if he's just bi curious and starts dating girls after a few episodes they could just write him out, the show has enough guys dating girls already and Moose is not important enough that him being bi would actually be explored, if he dates girls he drifts into "whatever" territory.

TheFlow

Banned
You guys can just watch it for free the day after airing on cw.com.

Thought everyone knew that. No need to wait till the season ends

Got the Road to Riverdale paperback today, it's just a collection of the first issues of the different current Archie books along with some pictures from the show. A pretty solid pick up if you're not reading the stuff (although I'd probably recommend picking up Archie TPB #1 instead)

Before reading this I didn't know they were doing a one-shot that takes place before the show starts. That could be neat.

Blackhead

Redarse
umm... just got around to watching the pilot and don't think I want this show at all. I read Archie occasionally as a kid and this is like the comics in name only. C'mon CW how many teen dramas have you shat out? Enough already. Murder mystery to boot? At least Veronica et al are calling out the tropes even as they are played out. CW could have used this opportunity to do a comedy, alas... can't remember the last teen sitcom I saw? That 70s Show?

p.s. casting is mostly decent (interesting choice for Jughead) except for Betty's look. She was pretty enough at the dance, and I guess there'll be a makeover scene at some point where she'll be glammed up so Archie sees her in a new light but imo Betty should be as beautiful as Veronica and Cheryl on the daily. Also Archie is too good looking but this is CW so i'll allow it. Anyway this show sadly holds little interest for me. carry on...

Ok, I'll try. Jason shot himself because Cheryl broke off their illicit twin tryst.
Moose shot Jason while him and Cherly was on the boat, collected his body while she was in shock (and down river). Then waited and planted the body where he "stumbles" upon it. Killed him to keep his secret of being queer. Betty and Kevin are the next targets and Veronica saves them and gets the girl. Season 3 Archie finally gets Veronica

Got the Road to Riverdale paperback today, it's just a collection of the first issues of the different current Archie books along with some pictures from the show. A pretty solid pick up if you're not reading the stuff (although I'd probably recommend picking up Archie TPB #1 instead)

Before reading this I didn't know they were doing a one-shot that takes place before the show starts. That could be neat.

When is this one-shot coming out?

March 1st

Also, PUSSYCATS! http://bit.ly/2jrNCvo

jdstorm

Banned
Got around to watching it. Riverdale is embarrassingly derivative of other teen shows. I get sticking to genre conventions but Riverdale does more then that.

Archie- is doing his best Chad Michael Murry impression.
Veronica, Her Mom and Archie's Dad are virtually copy pasted from Gossip Girl.
The Mystery is more Pretty Little Liars then Twin Peaks as is the Inappropriate Student/Teacher relationship.

Hopefully its just Pilotitis and this show will grow into something good. But its off to an incredibly shaky start

RPGCrazied

It was okay, some of the dialogue was cringe, but I'll stick with it for now. What is with CW shows and everyone being hot? lol

Not

Banned
Archie shouldn't be likable, he's a talented hot teen boy, and talented hot teen boys are always dumbasses

kirblar

Got around to watching it. Riverdale is embarrassingly derivative of other teen shows. I get sticking to genre conventions but Riverdale does more then that.

Archie- is doing his best Chad Michael Murry impression.
Veronica, Her Mom and Archie's Dad are virtually copy pasted from Gossip Girl.
The Mystery is more Pretty Little Liars then Twin Peaks as is the Inappropriate Student/Teacher relationship.

Hopefully its just Pilotitis and this show will grow into something good. But its off to an incredibly shaky start
The tropiness here (down to the Dawson's Creek S1 affair) is completely deliberate.

Goodstyle

I think people worried about this show leaning on tropes shouldn't panic already. The show seems pretty aware of them, and it's still the pilot. There's still some time to subvert that stuff.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Dang, was hoping I could play it on my TV. Guess I'll wait it out for the end of the season.

I think Xbox One has a CW app. Actually, I'm pretty sure most of those fancy streamy box & stick things have one, except for Playstation products for whatever reason.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think Xbox One has a CW app. Actually, I'm pretty sure most of those fancy streamy box & stick things have one, except for Playstation products for whatever reason.

Unfortunately the only streaming device I have it the handful of apps that are built into my tv.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I just saw the first episode and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Will catch the next episode and see the mystery unfold!!!

(Also I just rewatched the intro to Archie's Weird Mysteries, was that show actually good because the only thing I can remember about it is the intro)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Next episode preview, with KJ and Cole talking a bit about the show:

https://twitter.com/CW_Riverdale/status/826858494166855680

Camila Mendes for DA MAN Magazine:

C3ngU3CXAAYEWhN.jpg
C3ngU2_WcAA0sMm.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That CW Casting. Have mercy.

giphy.gif

Watched it on Netflix, I am disappointed so far. Although I admit I only watched episode 1 of Pretty Little Liars, it got deja vu while watching Riverdale.

Also, did Archie sleep with his teacher in the comics?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Watched it on Netflix, I am disappointed so far. Although I admit I only watched episode 1 of Pretty Little Liars, it got deja vu while watching Riverdale.

Nope. The Punisher had a thing going on with her though.

1799905-punisher_leaving_riverdale.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse

Nope, Miss Grundy is a stern maternal good teacher in the comics

The tropiness here (down to the Dawson's Creek S1 affair) is completely deliberate.

I think people worried about this show leaning on tropes shouldn't panic already. The show seems pretty aware of them, and it's still the pilot. There's still some time to subvert that stuff.

Whether they perfectly execute or successfully subvert the tropes is besides the point. My frustration is that these are modern teen TV tropes and have nothing to do with traditional Archie tropes. Even a MAD style Starchie parody would be preferable to this Riverdale tale. I was hoping for at least an Inbetweeners, Some Girls, Fresh Prince type of show, or even something even more progressive and better, but instead yet another teen drama. what a waste

Top Bottom