• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road to E3 - Spider-Man (PS4)

There was also a tiny amount of footage shown during the Pro reveal. It showed the game at night

eAiUsjJ.jpg

the heck, I had no idea about this

Amir0x

Banned
Unless the suit is a story element, I hope they let me play in whatever suit I want from the beginning and not after I've finished the game.

And you just know youre gonna have to beat a time trial in under two minutes to unlock one suit, collect 42 spidey tokens for another, piece together 10 issues of Amazing Spiderman and Ultimate Spiderman for his future spiderman suit, beat the game with 100% completion for the ultimate Carnage suit.

Set expectations accordingly ;)

farisr

Everytime I think of Spider-Man 2 I'm reminded of that Pizza mission.
That Pizza mission led to one of my favorite Spider-man 2 memories. The music speeding up as time goes on, I was just about to reach the pizza place in time and overshot it into the water and music cut abruptly at the perfect time, me and my brother were laughing for a few minutes when that happened. The build up, the sped up music, coming so close to completing the mission, and the abrupt cut due to the last second failure. So funny. Wish I had the share function back then.

That Pizza mission led to one of my favorite Spider-man 2 memories. The music speeding up as time goes on, I was just about to reach the pizza place in time and overshot it into the water and music cut abruptly at the perfect time, me and my brother were laughing for a few minutes when that happened. The build up, the sped up music, coming so close to completing the mission, and the abrupt cut due to the last second failure. So funny. Wish I had the share function back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DELvF8KTfFg

Blobbers

I know they're legendary gameplay-wise, but I'm curious how Insomniac is narratively. Can they tell a great, cohesive story?

this is one of the things I'm a little worried about. Insomniac often likes to employ some cringy, memetic humor (see: sunset overdrive) and my worry is they might just go "yeah, we've basically written spidey before, this'll be easy". I've got hope they wont fuck it up.

kinn

I'm still praying for Spidey 2 web-slinging or something close to it.

Is there a reason why S2 web slingging hasnt been used again? Is there a patent or something on the mechanic? Theres been so many Spiderman games since...Surely the developers know what the fans loved and want?

For it being too difficult for some, why not have an easier option? I think S2 had that didn't it?

this is one of the things I'm a little worried about. Insomniac often likes to employ some cringy, memetic humor (see: sunset overdrive) and my worry is they might just go "yeah, we've basically written spidey before, this'll be easy". I've got hope they wont fuck it up.
Yeah, Spider-Man is up that alley but I hope they don't take it too far.

Im hoping the writing gets better. Sunset Overdrive was a good game, perhaps great in some areas, but the writing was alarmingly bad.

Amir0x

Banned
yurinka said:
Let's hope you can play with other costumes, like the nomal one. I don't like this big, white spider.

Spider-Man PS4 Review
By: Arthur Gies, Polygon
SCORE: 7.0

"With its cutting edge use of physics that finally expand upon Spider-Man 2's iconic webslinging action and phenomenal mission design that gives each choice and scenario a dynamic feeling that consistently keeps you on your toes and engaged, this may very well be the best Spider-Man game ever made, if not the best superhero game of the latest generation.

Unfortunately, Insomniac made the dimwitted decision to force players to utilize this garish white spider costume, and for our money it distracts during every moment you play. We simply cannot overlook a flaw so damning and, dare we say, unglamorous."

Psykoboy2

Don't wanna be let down. Everything tells me this is going to be great, but I have to remind myself we haven't seen any gameplay....it's just real easy to fall into the hype and get burned.

For me, I mean. That all just applies to me. I don't judge anyone else for feeling...whatever about the game. I'm just holding my expectations in check. Web Of Shadows was great, and the last Spider-Man game I considered to be worth playing. But even then it had some problems.

That was almost 10 years ago.

I wanted to like Shattered Dimensions, but I just couldn't get into it. This gives me hope, but I've been hopeful before.

Let's hope you can play with other costumes, like the nomal one. I don't like this big, white spider.

For me I hope there are only 2 costumes in the whole entire story and when you finish the game and it unlocks different costumes. One were Peter creates his own like in the beginning of the game and the white spider that we see now which will be his main one. I say this because Spider-Man PS4 needs it's own identity and when people see that white spider they would know it's from Insomniac.

jaypah

I know video game history says don't bet on anything, ever, but I'm not worried about this game. This is one game that I feel is in great hands and I'm just going to sit back and wait to see how awesome it is. I know, I know, nothing is for certain but this is different.

I know video game history says don't bet on anything, ever, but I'm not worried about this game. This is one game that I feel is in great hands and I'm just going to sit back and wait to see how awesome it is. I know, I know, nothing is for certain but this is different.

I had the same feeling about Horizon Zero Dawn. Once initial gameplay footage was shown I had no doubt that game would deliver

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
revisiting Spider-Man 2 a few years ago wasn't a wise move on my part. the traversal still holds up relatively well but everything else...doesn't. it's kind of incredible that they were able to pull off that sense of speed in an open world game in 2004 though.

not too worried about this game since it's Insomniac with a huge budget

I don't think any game will ever match or surpass Spider-Man 2's traversal. That game is less an open-world superhero game than a pure webswinging simulator. It's incredible, and so in-depth that at a certain point you're using almost every button on the controller purely to move faster. You're controlling your altitude by timing the points in your swing arc when you boost and when you release the web, you're thinking about which building you're going to aim your next web at, you're looking half a mile ahead to see which narrow gap between buildings you're going to rocket through at top speed. You're wallrunning, bouncing between buildings, web-zipping to get a little bit of extra distance to clear an obstacle, and doing sick Tony Hawk stunts in the moments of weightlessness between swings just because you can.

It's the best traversal game ever made. So, y'know, I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything on that level, as wonderful as it would be. But if Insomniac can match Web of Shadows, which was a much-simplified version of SM2 that hit all the main points, I'll be happy. To me, the basics are:

- Webs actually attach to buildings, not the sky.
- Web arcs follow a physics engine, i.e. if you attach a web to a building on your left, your arc should pull you to the left. A certain amount of air control is necessary, but the last thing you want is a Superman flying system pretending to be webswinging like way too many Spidey games have had.
- The ability to release your web at your desired point. If you release at the bottom of your web arc, you'll shoot straight forward; if you release towards the end of the arc you'll go straight up. If you want to move fast, you'll go for flatter arcs, whereas if you just want to goof around you might throw out some nice, soaring swings. Release all your swings really late and you can climb up really high.

If they get that down, they're on the right track. Throwing in the extra mechanics from SM2 like charged jumps, wallrunning, web-zipping and all the others certainly wouldn't hurt, but the physics-based swinging is all-important.

The God

Maybe. But who gives a shit about combat. It's all about dat swinging. It's Spidey's signature thing, and it MUST be done right or it's not a SM game worthy of the name.

Well, 90% of the game is most likely swinging and beating up bad guys so I'd say the combat is pretty important

The God

I really want what the Arkham games failed at. Give me more of the man behind the mask.

It'd be great if Insomniac were able to make playing Peter Parker fun. Making those parts fun at all is difficult which is probably why most superhero games avoid them altogether.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Marvel and Insomniac, both are very passionate about this project.

"You may have heard that we're making a Spider-Man game with Ted Price's team at Insomniac and our friends at Sony Interactive Entertainment," Rosemann said at the DICE Summit.

"The other day we were sitting around talking... Insomniac is only ten minutes away from Marvel Games offices... and we're eating lunch and talking, asking each other: ”Hey, when did you first get into Spider-Man?"

"And we all realised we had the same story, we discovered him when we were very little. Not only that, we all realised that we all owned the same Spider-Man underoos back in the day.

"It feels like our lives have driven us to this moment. This is our purpose, to show the world why this character is so awesome. To bring this fictional world into the real world.

"It's very personal for us. We're going to focus our life's journey into this game, to celebrate him with the world."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gam...r-Man-PS4-Marvel-Insomniac-Games-Awesome-DICE

I don't think any game will ever match or surpass Spider-Man 2's traversal. That game is less an open-world superhero game than a pure webswinging simulator. It's incredible, and so in-depth that at a certain point you're using almost every button on the controller purely to move faster. You're controlling your altitude by timing the points in your swing arc when you boost and when you release the web, you're thinking about which building you're going to aim your next web at, you're looking half a mile ahead to see which narrow gap between buildings you're going to rocket through at top speed. You're wallrunning, bouncing between buildings, web-zipping to get a little bit of extra distance to clear an obstacle, and doing sick Tony Hawk stunts in the moments of weightlessness between swings just because you can.

It's the best traversal game ever made. So, y'know, I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything on that level, as wonderful as it would be. But if Insomniac can match Web of Shadows, which was a much-simplified version of SM2 that hit all the main points, I'll be happy. To me, the basics are:

- Webs actually attach to buildings, not the sky.
- Web arcs follow a physics engine, i.e. if you attach a web to a building on your left, your arc should pull you to the left. A certain amount of air control is necessary, but the last thing you want is a Superman flying system pretending to be webswinging like way too many Spidey games have had.
- The ability to release your web at your desired point. If you release at the bottom of your web arc, you'll shoot straight forward; if you release towards the end of the arc you'll go straight up. If you want to move fast, you'll go for flatter arcs, whereas if you just want to goof around you might throw out some nice, soaring swings. Release all your swings really late and you can climb up really high.

If they get that down, they're on the right track. Throwing in the extra mechanics from SM2 like charged jumps, wallrunning, web-zipping and all the others certainly wouldn't hurt, but the physics-based swinging is all-important.

nailed it. I really hope Insomniac does it right. I wish developers realized how important the feel of swinging is to the feeling of being Spider-Man. It's kind of the most important thing of all.

Spidey 2 was scoring 8 - 9 out of 10 all over the place and it was based purely on the physics. The rest of the game was quite crap but the feeling of being Spiderman was perfect.

If they don't at least match that then the game has already failed in my book. Insomniac are a big step up from Beenox and can't get this wrong.

They will :(

So after reading thru this thread I can confirm the littlest thing will get kickback and backlash the expectations are sky high.

I just want a competent spider man foundation that can be built on

I hope the story is totally original and not a rehash or exisitng ones. Wren't there some rumors that Stan Lee is writing the story for this game?

Literally my most anticipated upcoming title. I'd settle for some real-time gameplay at E3. A surprise release the end of 2017 would be... dare I say it?

Ultimate.

Sulik2

Spidey 2 was scoring 8 - 9 out of 10 all over the place and it was based purely on the physics. The rest of the game was quite crap but the feeling of being Spiderman was perfect.

If they don't at least match that then the game has already failed in my book. Insomniac are a big step up from Beenox and can't get this wrong.

They will :(

This is why Web of Shadows is actually the best Spider-Man game. The web slinging was almost as good as Spider-Man 2, but it also had fantastic combat and a great story.

I'm still praying for Spidey 2 web-slinging or something close to it.

I don't understand why they can't just copy SM2's swinging? Why is that so hard? Is that tech patented or something? I don't understand why devs can't manage to pull this off when the mechanic was virtually perfected like 15 years ago and is just sitting there for someone to rip off.

Is it a pride thing? Like they think they can manage to put together something better? If fans of the series loved it so much why deviate?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Insomniac said in an interview Peter is a really smart dude and they want to show this in combat as well.

I'm really curious how this will affect gameplay.

Top Bottom