• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Platform |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cahill

Banned
Jarate said:
I thought the purpose of megathreads were to create a small community of posters that would play the game together much longer then the average player will play it?

I guess it is bad that we withheld information from the general public regarding Rock Band 3, we shall try to make sure we post more stuff about Rock Band 3 in normal posts.

He's saying he doesn't want mega-threads any more. I love this thread... you guys/gals are all awesome! It will be a sad day when it comes to a end.

So it's said, I'd rather go through 500 posts in here than have to track down info for one game between 30 other threads - each with their own little sliver of info. Now I'll have to keep track of every RB thread, not just one.

Ashour

I think it's clear. Any RB3 news get posted in the RB3 news thread, every major DLC get it's own thread like how we did with Lady Gaga's announcement.

XShagrath

PhoncipleBone said:
An updated OP is probably the way to go. Just have sections at the end or top of it with the latest news. Like a RB3 news subsection, then a little section with the last two or three weeks of DLC listed for quick reference, and do the same thing for this weeks newest RBN releases. An updated OP on a regular basis would help keep all the information together and easily referenced, but keep the RBGaf community going (worst DLC and all).
I've said in the past that I would take over the OP if a new RB thread was ever needed. I started to kinda do that with the current OP (PM'ing info to BenBirdie), but it became such a hassle not having direct control if it that I just stopped doing it.

The real problem with updating an OP and having it as a great deal of information about the game is that after the thread takes off, no one even reads the OP anymore. They just go to the last page. So every awesome OP that people spend hours and hours working on (like MGS4, Forza, etc) just have 200 posts of "Fucking awesome OP!!) and then it's never looked at again, unfortunately.

Like I said, I'd jump on making an awesome RB Platform or RB3 OP, given the chance, but I don't see the time spent in making it really being used by very many people.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
XShagrath said:
If you just want DLC news and the like, then that's posted all over the web and on twitter in a much easier to find place than a forum. The thing that's great about this thread is the discussion of the DLC and all things RB-related.

NeoGAF is a place to discuss the gaming industry and gaming. The fact that news is posted elsewhere is irrelevant; many, many, many more people read GAF than post here, by a factor of ~50:1. Clearly people are still interested in coming to the site for news and information despite other avenues being available, and containing everything in megathreads is awful for this purpose. News not only gets posted, it gets discussed, hopefully with some thoughtful and interesting responses, and not just by the people who are hardcore followers of the IP. So let's not treat it like it's only worthwhile to have everything split into megathreads.

I read GAF both as part of my responsibilities and outside of them for many hours every day, and I'm happy to get my gaming news from GAF (and, if I can't, to strive to make it more viable to do so). When I have no idea what's going on with Rock Band 3 because everything's centered in this thread and only the extremely devoted sub-community can follow it effectively, that's a problem. There wasn't anything at all about the awesome RB3 Squier Strat real guitar pro mode posted outside of this thread, and I actually found out that there was an e3 video presentation about it by looking at wikipedia, which was disheartening. Look at the thread I made after I saw the vid: loads of people who were seeing it for the first time despite it being a two day old video that was probably posted in the official thread somewhere (...who knows?). People blown away and people speculating on the price and comparing it to other tech. New threads for significant new info is good.

I understand that the thread flies pretty fast when we get talking, but we're a very passionate sub-community. There's new RB-related info pretty much every day (DLC announcements, small RB3 tidbits, RBN stuff). Does each and every little thing need its own thread? Would one thread with a constantly updated OP suffice? I'm confused.

Yes, making a new thread for each new DLC announcement would be pointless and would clutter up the gaming forum, for a game that gets DLC so frequently (for other games, like MW2, it's appropriate). The posting guidelines sticky thread goes into this. It may make sense to have a separate thread specially for rock band DLC announcements, so they're not just dropped into the abyss here, and perhaps separate threads in addition to that for major signings ("OMG THE WHO FULL ALBUMS" etc.). Beyond that, significant news about upcoming games, like the one today about showing off the RB3 Squier Strat or other pro mode info, any other significant features that are shown off, and anything else that warrants having eyeballs on it should get a new thread. It's something you have to feel out.

I'm not killing the rock band OT (currently). I have nothing against you guys forming a mini-community around the game and my objective is not to make you miserable. I just want to preserve the news aspect of the gaming forum. An easy way to work with this is so just post a link in here to any new rock band related thread that's formed. I do that with the Mixed Martial Arts official thread on the off topic forum when I create an event thread (e.g. UFC 105 or whatever), and all the MMA thread regulars know what's going on and move relevant discussion to the new thread for the duration of the event. Works fine.

Btw, putting major work into updated OPs isn't really the way to go either. People inherently don't pay much attention to them once a thread is rolling, so it's mostly a waste of time.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
aristotle said:
I'm really not meaning to call you out or anything, but the info was posted in a new thread when USA Today made a story about it. The info was out there. It just got buried from the first page. That wasn't our fault.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397754

It most likely would have not been buried if this was done.

EviLore said:
I'm not killing the rock band OT (currently). I have nothing against you guys forming a mini-community around the game and my objective is not to make you miserable. I just want to preserve the news aspect of the gaming forum. An easy way to work with this is so just post a link in here to any new rock band related thread that's formed. I do that with the Mixed Martial Arts official thread on the off topic forum when I create an event thread (e.g. UFC 105 or whatever), and all the MMA thread regulars know what's going on and move relevant discussion to the new thread for the duration of the event. Works fine.

XShagrath

New HMX Podcast is up.

http://www.rockband.com/zine/episode019

Says it has this stuff in it:

Finally, we plunge into the DLC sinkhole of excellence and claw our way out with voicemails and other surprises.

0:25 – Intro by HMXKat
1:39 – HMXThrasher introduces Dance Central choreographers Marcos, Frenchie, and Chanel
16:10 – HMXPope interviews HMXtheneworiginal about Rock Band Pro!
43:37 – Rock Band 3 track list roundtable with the Community Team

I haven't listened to it yet, so I don't know if there's anything actually "new" or not.

PedroRVD

Finally had money to buy 4000 points again...phew...looking for great Wired recommendations again =)

I understand people who always play alone shitting all over the Miley pack....but there are lots of people here interested in playing this next week (I thought andrea was the only one), so...another RB party next weekend. When this happens, this game gets its purpose done.

Not my kind of music, but definitely buying the pack day one.

-------

Im wondering about the solution of our problem;

having a "Rock Band 3 news" thread for relevant news, and a "Rock Band DLC" thread? I can agree with that. We can have a link at its OP for inviting people to our mini community if they want, if they dont...they can still keep discussing about news and relevant info in that thread.

I agree with a DLC thread because its unfair to make a thread for Lady Gaga and not making one...mmm...for example the Paul McCartney pack or Rust in Peace...naming one DLC more relevant than another is pretty relative. So we can have the DLC thread and when we have something like Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Metallica etc...we can change the thread name and putting between parenthesis "(METALLICA NEXT WEEK)"...or something like this...

XShagrath

PedroRVD said:
I agree with a DLC thread because its unfair to make a thread for Lady Gaga and not making one...mmm...for example the Paul McCartney pack or Rust in Peace...naming one DLC more relevant than another is pretty relative. So we can have the DLC thread and when we have something like Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Metallica etc...we can change the thread name and putting between parenthesis "(METALLICA NEXT WEEK)"...or something like this...
This would work if a mod would agree to change the title each week. They may not want to do that. If a DLC thread is deemed necessary, I can helm that up and keep it updated from week to week with links to youtube and the XBox Marketplace, etc.

Also, Pedro. Get Andrea out of your fucking life! Just never speak to her again about anything. If you see her at a concert or whatever, just totally ignore her. The bitch doesn't even deserve to breathe the same air as you.

PedroRVD

XShagrath said:
This would work if a mod would agree to change the title each week. They may not want to do that. If a DLC thread is deemed necessary, I can helm that up and keep it updated from week to week with links to youtube and the XBox Marketplace, etc.

Also, Pedro. Get Andrea out of your fucking life! Just never speak to her again about anything. If you see her at a concert or whatever, just totally ignore her. The bitch doesn't even deserve to breathe the same air as you.
I really need friends like you here.

And, sorry I didnt know only mods could chance thread names.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
2qdagqu.jpg

Anyone that can nail a hard solo playing on this deserves a fucking medal.

More pics here.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
aristotle said:
Jumper 09? What was in Lego Rock Band then? I mean why update the song. Nothing in the lyrics dated it.

Third Eye Blind isn't in Lego:Rock Band. They're in one of the Guitar Hero titles, with the same re-record that RBN got.

And Crag, that's... about how much string you get on those frets with a real guitar. High frets are tiny.

PedroRVD said:
I really need friends like you here.

And, sorry I didnt know only mods could chance thread names.
The solution is to make me a mod. It's the only way. Evilore, I graciously accept this fantastic responsibility.

aristotle

Charron said:
Third Eye Blind isn't in Lego:Rock Band. They're in one of the Guitar Hero titles, with the same re-record that RBN got.

And Crag, that's... about how much string you get on those frets with a real guitar. High frets are tiny.

My bad. I was thinking of Rooftops. :(

Maybe something like "new DLC see post number xxx" that someone updates every friday would be enough for DLC? It's really hard to decide whether a new album announcement is thread-worthy or not. Also, thread title would suck for a singles week: "Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, Paramore, Coldplay, Pearl Jam NEXT WEEK" Way too long.

Edit: Hell, not even for albums. See that Miley Cyrus pack this week, it's shit but maybe many people on GAF would get it for their kids or something. So it might be more relevant than say Rust in Peace that's awesome to play.

Charron said:

Yeah but strings move. after seeing those pictures the half-tar is out of the question for me.

I think full albums usually warrent a new thread, they're typically very popular artists that a good share of people would be interested in. His whole point is that there are people that come to gaf for all of their gaming news, if they have to read 500 posts to see what the new DLC is then it's counter productive.

Maybe for a DLC thread put (check OP for new updates) so then there would be no confusion and people would always check it. Or alternatively, if it isn't a huge pain in the ass, shag or someone could PM a mod and have the title changed for a week with the DLC artists names.

cappies

New HMX Podcast is up.

http://www.rockband.com/zine/episode019

Says it has this stuff in it:

Quote:
Finally, we plunge into the DLC sinkhole of excellence and claw our way out with voicemails and other surprises.

0:25 – Intro by HMXKat
1:39 – HMXThrasher introduces Dance Central choreographers Marcos, Frenchie, and Chanel
16:10 – HMXPope interviews HMXtheneworiginal about Rock Band Pro!
43:37 – Rock Band 3 track list roundtable with the Community Team

I haven't listened to it yet, so I don't know if there's anything actually "new" or not.

Independent track speed was confirmed around 28:45.

Milchmonster said:
Maybe something like "new DLC see post number xxx" that someone updates every friday would be enough for DLC? It's really hard to decide whether a new album announcement is thread-worthy or not. Also, thread title would suck for a singles week: "Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, Paramore, Coldplay, Pearl Jam NEXT WEEK" Way too long.

Edit: Hell, not even for albums. See that Miley Cyrus pack this week, it's shit but maybe many people on GAF would get it for their kids or something. So it might be more relevant than say Rust in Peace that's awesome to play.
Or just link the RB Announcements forum in the OP.
http://www.rockband.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Almost all DLC announcements originate there unless it gets announced on VH1 or something.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
birdman said:
The part that scares me is trying to slide on the "strings" when playing.

Yea, the half-tar is gonna suck for that.

...not that I care, personally, I'm sticking with Pro Drums and Pro Keys. Though from the RBN announcement we got today it's sounding like a lot fewer existing songs will be Pro Drums compatible than we thought (and none of the current RBN tracks). Unless they've got some sort of trick up their sleeve.

peetfeet

Wired All Wrong said:
PS3 RBN songs for next week.

Another Flogging Molly? Excellent. As for the thread/new thread shinnanigans.... I see EviLore's point...

I can't see a problem with having a seperate DLC thread and making newsworthy new threads when needs be - as long as this one still lives and new threads are linked to discuss in the appropriate area...

Charron said:
Yea, the half-tar is gonna suck for that.

...not that I care, personally, I'm sticking with Pro Drums and Pro Keys. Though from the RBN announcement we got today it's sounding like a lot fewer existing songs will be Pro Drums compatible than we thought (and none of the current RBN tracks). Unless they've got some sort of trick up their sleeve.
RBN shouldn't have launched until RB3, c/d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom