• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

The performance of this game is all over the place sometimes. I got a pop-up notification for a Ground Zeroes update and the game instantly started chugging for about a half minute.

KanameYuuki

That was fun, watching Afro and Salsa play together is always cool even if you are losing, they really know how to complement each other, sometimes I do some really decent stuff but most of the time I just screw it or don't do anything at all, I need to learn so much, positioning is key T~T

This is one of those few games where you can't be mad when losing haha.

Hahaha so I just played a 1v1 match with someone who said I sucked because I kept missing the ball, and that made him miss the ball. Then he said I was getting lucky with the tipoffs (I've played a lot of 1v1 matches and have gotten pretty good at tipoffs), and the finally when the game ended he said I was hacking. Made me laugh.

He also said that tipoffs were all luck. Do most people not develop strategies for tipoffs? I seem to win most of them, a lot of people just boost and don't even bother tackling the ball.

Good games crblahblah, BioSpock and bananafactory. Lots o fun. I'll be back on in a bit, see if we can get some 3's going.

Also, I hate when villa is not on my team and in net. He robs me so often its insane.

He also said that tipoffs were all luck. Do most people not develop strategies for tipoffs? I seem to win most of them, a lot of people just boost and don't even bother tackling the ball.
The best is when you get the formation where all three players start in front of the goal, and you're the furthest back.

And then the countdown ends and both of your teammates peel off toward the corners to get boost.

Salsa

That was fun, watching Afro and Salsa play together is always cool even if you are losing, they really know how to complement each other.

we goin for that GAF tourney

UnnaturalCraftyAkitainu.gif

RealisticPhonyBoa.gif

tachibana twins style

derrick.jpg
1230722696664_f.jpg
Ulqp9Su.jpg

That was fun, watching Afro and Salsa play together is always cool even if you are losing, they really know how to complement each other, sometimes I do some really decent stuff but most of the time I just screw it or don't do anything at all, I need to learn so much, positioning is key T~T

This is one of those few games where you can't be mad when losing haha.

Everyone got an EYEFUL of my oppotunities like these tonight, lol.

Need to work on minor ball control too.

Just got a ps4, and this yesterday. I'm enjoying it, but...

How long till I stop being so terrible at this? Should I use the ball camera lock on mode or alternate between the two?

So I get matched up against Kronovi, its going well. A minute into the match and no score yet. I get a goal and nothing happens, the ball just bounces out, then I notice everyone drivin in circles. I get disconnected from the game. That sucked.

Hasney

Also, I play on ps4 and i am seeing a trend of the team with the most pc players winning. I don't think pc players are better but i do think the framerate advantage is aiding them. Devs should drop some of the graphical shit and make every ps4 track run at 60fps. They should also lock pc framerate and ban ini tweakers.

Turn off cross play or something then. There's no way people should be punished for wanting a better experience, especially as the biggest thing helping PC players is the fact that monitors have much MUCH better input lag than a TV. We're going to be seeing the same complaints once SF5 is out.

man the move to community killed this community hard

what a shame

or maybe its MGSV
Hopefully its just MGSV. There is a bunch of us from gaf that play nightly but were all on ps4. Nobody is really posting much here though. I can shoot you a PM whenever we are playing if you want.

Noaloha

The only thing I really feel like I suck at in this game are the aerials. I just can't seem to get it down.

Aerials are the long grind, they're the touch-typing of RL. Just keep at it. The improvement is almost imperceptible. Some lucky buggers probably pick it up super fast, good for them as long as they don't act like tits who are all "it's easy, gawd, you should do it."

Check your progress on Aerials month by month, not game by game.

Dr Prob

Banned
Is there a good starter guide or anything like that?

These weirdos have some tutorial videos up on their channel.

My quick tips (you probably shouldn't pay attention to these tips!)

- The most important thing is to simply learn what your car can do. Game gives you a lot of control; don't be afraid to screw around and figure out all the little things you can do.
- Figure out your camera settings and get used to using ballcam if you're not already.

Offense

- Try not to bunch up. There really aren't that many situations where an entire team attempting to hit the ball at once is really helpful. If you spread out you'll have more chances to keep attacking.
- Along those lines, whizzing around and chasing the ball from corner to corner, side to side isn't the most effective playstyle. Where the ball currently is is often less important than where the ball will be. So don't be afraid to slow down, anticipate what's going to happen and pick your spots.

Defense

- If you're caught retreating and don't have a response you feel sure about, knock the ball into a corner. Ideally you don't want to be sending the ball towards your own goal, but sometimes it's safer to nudge it into that corner than attempting to clear from a bad angle and possibly giving the other team an easy shot.
- Once that ball is in the corner, help out your goaltender and cycle. If they go out to clear the ball, step in and watch the net in case something goes wrong. I've spent countless hours working on this example gif:

Js4rjbb.gif

Misc

- Try to be aware of where your teammates are and avoid bumping into them if you can. I swear, if Xx_SnIpEs13_xX bumps into me ONE MORE FUCKING TIME...
- Finally, always aerial all the time even if it makes no sense.

Noaloha

- Finally, always aerial all the time even if it makes no sense.

Oh man yes.

Ranked? Feel bad if you fuck it up, maybe, perhaps.

In all other cases! Yes. Do it! Go for that shit! I want to see it.

I love watching Aerial attempts and will never ever (outside of Ranked when they're especially fucked) get annoyed at them. Quite, quite the opposite.

(FD: I play solo 100% of the time so I basically never now play Ranked.)

(Please devs, let solo players have a single option - not 1v1 - for grouping solo players together in standard matches. Nothing better - for me - in RL that a fun RL lobby for 3vs3 of solo players all rotating teams and rematching close games whenever they happen.)

Dr Prob

Banned
(Please devs, let solo players have a single option - not 1v1 - for grouping solo players together in standard matches. Nothing better - for me - in RL that a fun RL lobby for 3vs3 of solo players all rotating teams and rematching close games whenever they happen.)

Yeah, a good group like that can be really fun. Not that I mind playing in or against parties or anything, but getting to know everyone's tendencies, forming little rivalries, and engaging in a little friendly trash talk is neat.

Thanks! Will definitely give those vids a watch...and try some of your strats.

yw and good luck. You'll be rivaling Kornjovi in no time!

hao chi

Just got a ps4, and this yesterday. I'm enjoying it, but...

How long till I stop being so terrible at this? Should I use the ball camera lock on mode or alternate between the two?

I take the ball cam off when I'm lining up certain shots (you'll understand as you play more), going for a boost pad that I can't see due to the ball's current position, as well as taking it off quickly to check for teammates basically whenever I'm driving away from the opponent's goal and I don't know where my teammates are, especially when I'm going to my net to play goalie, because that's a hot spot for crashing into teammates and knocking both of you out of position to make a play.

The only thing I really feel like I suck at in this game are the aerials. I just can't seem to get it down.

One thing that helped me get better at aerials is I started going up in the air a bit before it felt like I needed to. I don't know if that'd help you, but I was often overestimating how quickly I could fly up to hit the ball.

The_Poet

Banned
What MMR are you guys?

I feel like I've hit a peak at 980-1000 (both 2v2 and 3v3), I play solo so maybe I need a decent team-mate to go further?

devonodev

Ah damn, here I was winning a ranked doubles game, then for the first time ever after 35 hours the game crashed. Got the stopped working error message. Very annoying, no idea what caused it

One thing that helped me get better at aerials is I started going up in the air a bit before it felt like I needed to. I don't know if that'd help you, but I was often overestimating how quickly I could fly up to hit the ball.

This is good advice / feel the same. The longer the ball is in the air the more time you have to hit it. As soon as I see the ball in the air and get lined up I take off and usually hit it (aiming is another story) but whenever I wait that extra second to take off I almost always miss it.

AcridMeat

Banned
We still have some slots for our 150$ 3v3 tournament left. Starting this saturday. Time schedule coming today:

Oooh, will need to talk to some peeps about this one.
What MMR are you guys?

I feel like I've hit a peak at 980-1000 (both 2v2 and 3v3), I play solo so maybe I need a decent team-mate to go further?
Just play with pepiope and you'll get to 1100-1300 easily.

I was around the same ~1030 but haven't played ranked solo in a long time.

The GAF 2v2 Tournament is in need of 2 replacement teams if anybody is interested that's not already in. If you're somewhat open availability (even just evenings or something) it would help because the Group stage is against 5 other teams and it'll make it easier. Open to anyone, of course, it's been fun so far. Either reply in there or PM Villa (or me).

Unicorn

I wish I had a solid stable of friends playing. Unfortunately work schedules and platforms conflict.I want to get better, but each time I play Salsa, the gap widens even further
LLShC.gif

anyone else on Ps4 getting weird audio issues? Sometimes all the sound goes out, and then after the match the game is stuck on the loading screen.

Yeah, it's a known bug. Happened to me a few times as well. Hope it gets fixed with the coming patch, along with the disappearing nametags, ball/camera bug on Coliseum and those weird bounces on that same map.

Has the distance issue been fixed yet, not sure I want to grind out a few hundred KM still for the platinum, it's all good fun playing but I tire of it quickly when I have so many other games to get playing.

Ran rp

anyone else not able to use up chat text? the button doesn't appear for me at all. restarting the game and ps4 never fixed it. i think an update broke it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom