• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Gamebomb.ru has absolutely nothing to do with Giantbomb, it's a Russian website.
They ripped off Giant Bomb's design almost 1:1 at the time, so the joke of the evil Russian version of Giant Bomb came up. Plus they had stuff like a Portal 2 review a year before it came out. Just a bizarre thing all around.

edit:
http://gamebomb.ru/games/1628
The style of the portraits and stars is almost a copy, too. Also, 2 out of 5 for Portal 2 from november 2010.

-MD-

It's more than just "occasionally" "a bit".

On my PC, with the settings turned below what the game recommends, I run at mostly 50-60FPS. When I get near a decent sized area like around the Cambridge PD, it drops to around 35-45. Normally I'd just put this down to "Bethesda Open World(tm)" and be fine with it, but if I go anywhere near Goodneighbor it drops to 18FPS. 18 FPS. That's almost too slow to be considered motion.

The fact that it runs worse on my PC than it does on the underpowered console hardware suggests something is really wrong this time around.

Sounds like a hardware/settings issue.

Turn god rays to low, shadow distance to medium and enable borderless window if you haven't already.

Jinaar

Rooster Teeth still exists after Red VS Blue? Huh... you learn something new every day. Their main page looks silly. And Fallout 4 is silly.

I'm outtah here!

silywalk.gif

The extent of fallout's technical issues is largely irrelevant, and in fact, in terms of how much it affects someone's enjoyment, largely subjective. It doesn't matter one bit that you think Fallout 4 is better or worse than a 3/5. The issue isn't that RT disagrees with Jeff, it's that they use that disagreement as a platform to act like immature jackasses and question his motives and credibility with absolutely zero evidence, which is a really shitty thing to do to anyone, but even moreso someone that makes his living as a critic. Fuck these guys.

Forgot that people still read video game reviews and respect their authors. lol

"I have no outstanding experience with games, no keen eye for their technical aspects, and I'm not even good at any of them. I haven't even explored much in terms of variety of titles. Guess I'll be a video game reviewer."

Like I'm gonna care about what skinny-fat bearded white guy in hipster glasses #27 thinks about a video game. Video game reviews are a waste of time and space. Twitch has effectively replaced them as far as I'm concerned. Good on them for continuing to make money on idiots, though. The industry is a joke, lmao.
Ow the edge

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Man fuck these guys and their high ass horse. Look I didnt buy a 980ti so I could lag at 15fps in the fucking Commonwealth or die in a elevator cuz the floor disappeared.

I remember Rooster Teeth from like 10 years ago. I used to get a laugh out of their Red vs Blue vids for a while.

I had no idea they were a thing now. But if the bases of their argument against Jeff's 3/5 is that "he just wants the hits, and to be different" then I'm probably not missing much from them.

squadr0n

Did they even read his review? He gave the PC version a separate score from the console for a reason and I completely agree with his reasoning for doing so. Plus it's his personal opinion versus theirs. If anything rooster teeth is just doing this for click bait. Giant Bomb is a trusted site because of their personalities. It's why they usually don't do reviews in the first place.

hamchan

So, I definitely think that's a really stupid thing for RT to accuse Jeff of, but I do think it's fair to criticize the split PC, console scores.

I mean, 20% off a score because the game's framerate occasionally dips a bit seems goofy to me. Especially considering 1) it will likely be improved through patches, and 2) they haven't done the same for a lot of other games with similar issues.

Nope. If anything this should become a trend for when there are significant differences between console and PC. Having already played 50 hours and beaten the main story on PS4, the game dropped into slideshow single digit fps frame rate territory more than a few times during intense scenes.

Sounds like a hardware/settings issue.

Turn god rays to low, shadow distance to medium and enable borderless window if you haven't already.

Already have, but they don't really make a difference (nor should I have to lower them if the game sets them to max), but thanks for the suggestion.

I've even messed with uGridsToLoad, a setting that supposedly kills performance, and increasing it makes almost no difference. It's incredibly strange, like the game picks a shitty performance to run at and won't budge up or down from it.

Tagyhag

I think people should be allowed to criticize reviews. Freedom of Speech and Press is a two way street.

Sure, but at what point does it become slander?

They sound like Glenn Beck. "I mean, what if they reviewed it low just to get more traffic? Not saying they did we're just asking questions!"

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hold this L rooster teeth. Hold it.

You don't want to get in a rap battle with Jeff. Dude got bars.

Zomba13

Jeff Gerstmann gave Fallout 4, a 4/5. That's low? Didn't know Rooster Teeth reviewed games.

4 is a lot lower than the 9 that Fallout 4 deserves. It says so right on my pip-boy right here, included with the collectors edition of Fallout 4, Pre-order now!

Fjordson

The extent of fallout's technical issues is largely irrelevant, and in fact, in terms of how much it affects someone's enjoyment, largely subjective. It doesn't matter one bit that you think Fallout 4 is better or worse than a 3/5. The issue isn't that RT disagrees with Jeff, it's that they use that disagreement as a platform to act like immature jackasses and question his motives and credibility with absolutely zero evidence, which is a really shitty thing to do to anyone, but even moreso someone that makes his living as a critic. Fuck these guys.
Exactly. Has nothing to do with a mere difference of opinion.

I think people should be allowed to criticize reviews. Freedom of Speech and Press is a two way street.

They arent criticizing his review. The are calling into question his credibility as a way to try and distract from the fact that he gave a score that didn't fit their narrative.

-MD-

Already have, but they don't really make a difference (nor should I have to lower them if the game sets them to max), but thanks for the suggestion.

I've even messed with uGridsToLoad, a setting that supposedly kills performance, and increasing it makes almost no difference. It's incredibly strange, like the game picks a shitty performance to run at and won't budge up or down from it.

Ah, bummer. Guess the port is more hit and miss than I thought.

Sounds like you had a very productive day.

:)

They should be allowed in the sense that they shouldn't be going to jail for being harsh, but nothing should stop us from flipping the script and calling THEIR criticisms utter nonsense and immature, which they are. A 7/10 makes it clear you're only scoring low for attention? Gimme a break. It could be 0/10 and that's still a nothing argument.

farisr

I love some of RT's stuff but their gaming side is generally trash (achievement hunter was okay), last when I saw (a year or 2 ago) still were a bunch of xbox fanboys. Making lame arguments/justifications during the whole xbox one drm debacle (sony will do it too, just watch). But I guess that's what happens when your main series that got you popular is based off an ip that MS owns.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they the ones that started the whole MS is going to purchase Silent Hill for "billions of dollars." LOL.

As pointed out by many it isn't even an insult to call out Rooster Teeth for their lack of integrity as they are more of a production house that creates marketing materials for publishers. Though this showed such a lack of professional tact, why even call out Jeff specifically?

What really annoys me are the people that have sided with RT simply for "calling out" Jeff for being a stick-in-the-mud, jaded, cynical old fart that's desperate for clicks of some kind. Because maybe it's just me, but I believe Jeff has more integrity AND credibility in the shit he took yesterday than a good majority of critics working today.

On top of that, wouldn't you WANT someone who has seen it all and done it all to have a critical eye towards his game reviews? You're presumably reading reviews because you're looking to PAY for a product for heaven's sake. With YOUR money. Are people really that concerned for their own feelings if a prospective game purchase in a franchise they enjoy gets a low score? So what? Marketing departments (and partnered companies like RT) exist to tell me what's good about a game to get me excited and that's fine. But I damn sure want a game critic to then tell me anything NOT good or what to be wary about in the product I'm looking to purchase. I'm an adult, I can handle it if Jeff Gerstmann doesn't like a game I like, and I appreciate his honesty more for it.

"I have no outstanding experience with games, no keen eye for their technical aspects, and I'm not even good at any of them. I haven't even explored much in terms of variety of titles. Guess I'll be a video game reviewer."

Like I'm gonna care about what skinny-fat bearded white guy in hipster glasses #27 thinks about a video game. Video game reviews are a waste of time and space. Twitch has effectively replaced them as far as I'm concerned. Good on them for continuing to make money on idiots, though. The industry is a joke, lmao.

Goodness. This is an impressively bad post. I mean, Gerstmann has been in the industry for 20+ years.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
6 pages already? I said damn.
One this is for sure though, this community loves "drama" regardless of scope or relevance. And I'm talking any form of drama whether in Gaming, or OT.

Guess Who

Banned

Jeff Gerstmann probably knows more about video games than you or I know about any subject.

Feorax

What really annoys me are the people that have sided with RT simply for "calling out" Jeff for being a stick-in-the-mud, jaded, cynical old fart that's desperate for clicks of some kind. Because maybe it's just me, but I believe Jeff has more integrity AND credibility in the shit he took yesterday than a good majority of critics working today.

Some people obviously still aren't over that disastrous E3 stream they did where GB looked like they couldn't care less if Adam Boyes dropped his pants and literally shat out HL3 on stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom