• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

There's a lot of posts in here.

RoosterTeeth has always been this bad when it comes to company loyalty, they stood by MS during the Xbone DRM thing. But they can still produce decent content, I suppose. I haven't watched anything of theirs in years though.

Man, I used to listen to their podcast back in the day and they seemed like all right dudes. It's a shame to see RT host such immaturity, I used to think it would be nice to have the two groups interact on E3 podcasts or some such.

TGMIII

Seriously this community will never be taken seriously when you have personalities in said community attacking a guy for giving a game a lower score than they agree with.

Amazing.

This is where I'm at too. It's not even that they're disagreeing, if they disagree and articulate their points well then it's fine but this is literally baseless accusation and then having the audacity to try and defend it while still offhandedly perpetrating the same accusation.

Goes to show how fucked the situation is when 70% is apparently considered low.

It's not great, but if you compare it to how it launched it's night and day.

Doesn't it still have the issue where your save file will eventually become too big and the game becomes unplayable? The same issue Morrowind had on Xbox.

blamite

Rooster Teeth is fine in general but The Patch is just awful, as is everything I've seen from their "The Know" channel.

This is barely worth noticing, much less actually caring about.

Completely biased opinion here:

Pretty crazy these guys are taking pot shots at Gerstmann. Dude is an games journalism veteran and one of the best in the business, and has some of the highest integrity. Giant Bomb in general has always been very open about their operation and very vocal about what they can and cannot talk about, while keeping seemingly great relations with pubs/devs at the same time, and outputting fantastic content.

Insane. I love Fallout 4 so far, but Gerstmann's review if spot on, and its HIS REVIEW, not the end all be all.

I seriously think people just get pissy their game gets docked meta-critic points more than they are angry that the game got a shitty review. It's asinine.

They literally sound like paid shills on this The Patch podcast.

[...]

Meg Turney: "They were like, 'It's a technical mess'." (she says this while completely forgetting she just had a whole segment about how buggy the game was earlier in the podcast)
you can't accuse her of being a paid shill and then say she criticized how buggy the game is. I mean yes you can and you did but it's a contradiction

HardRojo

I was like "Oh well maybe they are right and Jeff was too harsh on the game", but then I read the stuff about them producing Fallout 4 videos by Fallout and yeah, not hard to put 2 and 2 together here.

-MD-

IT'S THE ORIGINAL VISION OF KOJIMA

QoS3x9l.gif

Are they smoking out of a small wolf's ass?

Jumping Chief

Neo Member
Rooster Teeth is entertainment for me, not a place I go for hard hitting gaming review and news. I watch their content for humor. I don't watch The Patch because I don't feel like it's a good gaming padcast.

inky

How can anyone one watch and actually enjoy these awful info capsules thingies. They look so fucking fake. Do these people even have opinions of their own or are they just faces reading out a script someone else wrote?

I'm pretty sure this is not a "generational" thing considering these remind me so much of the crap that MTV and entertainment/gossip sites (channels) have been doing for like 20 years now.

So, I definitely think that's a really stupid thing for RT to accuse Jeff of, but I do think it's fair to criticize the split PC, console scores.

I mean, 20% off a score because the game's framerate occasionally dips a bit seems goofy to me. Especially considering 1) it will likely be improved through patches, and 2) they haven't done the same for a lot of other games with similar issues.

It helps if you think of it as a standard deviation and not a percentage. Gerstmann is saying that the console version is a standard deviation worse and I think that is a completely defensible position.

Yeah I googled her and saw a bunch of tits and ass, then I went to her twitter and got some more tits and ass.

Huh.

I think I'm going to side with her on this whole debacle. Jeff Hattersmann is a hack and a fraud and a doodoo head. Go back to wrestling you hater.
This is the only appropriate response to any of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA7GK-48sR8

Hahahaha I can't believe this is the first time I see that video. Jeff you silly rabbit.

Swarna

Goodness. This is an impressively bad post. I mean, Gerstmann has been in the industry for 20+ years.

Wasn't referring to anyone in particular but I'll admit I opened the RT video and saw that guy on the left whining about some inconsequential shit and was just reminded at how utterly unsubstantial video game reviews and the overall landscape of its industry is. Very punchable face, too. Don't know who you're on about but I'll just say that doing something for x amount of time doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it. Regardless, a few gems in a sea full of turds doesn't change my point about the sea.

I gave the Patch a go back when they started but there was some guy on there who clearly didn't know what he was talking about half the time, which was beyond frustrating to listen to.

Who seriously would have beef with a 3/5? It isn't even a low score.

darthbob

This is where I'm at too. It's not even that they're disagreeing, if they disagree and articulate their points well then it's fine but this is literally baseless accusation and then having the audacity to try and defend it while still offhandedly perpetrating the same accusation.

Goes to show how fucked the situation is when 70% is apparently considered low.

I understand this, but I also don't understand it.

It's as if people consider game review scores to be the same as the American School grading system.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular but I'll admit I opened the RT video and saw that guy on the left whining about some inconsequential shit and was just reminded at how utterly unsubstantial video game reviews and the overall landscape of its industry is. Very punchable face, too. Don't know who you're on about but I'll just say that doing something for x amount of time doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it. Regardless, a few gems in a sea full of turds doesn't change my point about the sea.
damn bro this is some edgy shit

GavinGT

Banned
I only know about Rooster Teeth because some 8-year old kid overheard my name and thought it was cool that I share a name with someone from the site.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Ah the old "Their opinion is different than mine so they must have that opinion just to be different" argument.

Who seriously would have beef with a 3/5? It isn't even a low score.

It is still terrible that game reviewers are still stuck on the old mentality that anything below a 7.5 is considered a bad game. This is something that game magazines were doing before the event of the internet.

Feorax

It is still terrible that game reviewers are still stuck on the old mentality that anything below a 7.5 is considered a bad game. This is something that game magazines were doing before the event of the internet.

Can't when publishers are promising bonuses based on metacritic scores. As shitty as it is, it's more shitty to fuck over someone out of a bonus they earned just to make a stand about meaningless numbers.

Who the fuck tales Gertsman seriously, dude is a joke, his idiotic hate for Yoshi games makes it even worse

Joke post? He's one of the most well versed gaming journalists around. He definitely has certain tastes but his critical analysis generally very fair.

Nugg

Gertsmann is probably A LOT more annoyed by this thing blowing up like this than by the original comment about his review.

Feorax

I feel this way sometimes, but GB are pretty consistent when it comes to using a good range of their scoring system.

The reviews and scoring are probably the only thing I like about GiantBomb.

Again, worth pointing out that RT won't call out a site like Polygon, who in my experience have been guilty of low-scoring for attention, because they skew pro-MS.

FluxWaveZ

The reviews and scoring are probably the only thing I like about GiantBomb.

Again, worth pointing out that RT won't call out a site like Polygon, who in my experience have been guilty of low-scoring for attention, because they skew pro-MS.

This is pretty funny, since "they skew pro-MS" is what Giant Bomb used to get last generation.

Kadayi

Banned
What really annoys me are the people that have sided with RT simply for "calling out" Jeff for being a stick-in-the-mud, jaded, cynical old fart that's desperate for clicks of some kind. Because maybe it's just me, but I believe Jeff has more integrity AND credibility in the shit he took yesterday than a good majority of critics working today.

^This. I don't always agree with Jeff, but I never have any doubt that what he writes his actual opinion on something. Also bemused at the notion that GB of all places are chasing clicks. I can't remember the last time I ever saw anything remotely clickbait at the site.

I think Jeff wants to see more innovation in development and so he's not going to necessarily lose his shit over something that is simply more of the same with a bit of a polish. In that regard I don't blame him (I'm of the same opinion). That's the differential between a critic versus a fanboy.

Tagyhag

Gertsmann is probably A LOT more annoyed by this thing blowing up like this than by the original comment about his review.

Yep, imagine the amount of tweets he's getting about it. Can't wait for him to tell everyone to shut the fuck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom