• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Jeff's take on games, particularly the ones I normally enjoy, is a bit too cynical for my taste. Despite that, I've always thought they were his opinions, his actual takeaways from playing the games in question.
I never thought he was just trying to be different, or going for the hot take to stir shit up.

105.Will

The reviews and scoring are probably the only thing I like about GiantBomb.

Again, worth pointing out that RT won't call out a site like Polygon, who in my experience have been guilty of low-scoring for attention, because they skew pro-MS.

I will never forgive them for that bs Bayo 2 review

Lingitiz

Jeff's take on games, particularly the ones I normally enjoy, is a bit too cynical for my taste. Despite that, I've always thought they were his opinions, his actual takeaways from playing the games in question.
I never thought he was just trying to be different, or going for the hot take to stir shit up.

I don't always agree with Jeff's opinions but he has always been really damn good at explaining why he doesn't like something. You rarely ever feel like he's coming from an irrational, unjustified position.

It's funny considering Jeff has probably been professionally reviewing games since she was a toddler.

close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8Sg87NUig

2416095-2fsjp.jpg

CES 1992

Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat

He will influence the children!

Who cares though really....

People ought to already get past the point where reviews are either opinions, or worse.

So get over it. It's a videogame! You can decide if you like it or want to buy it reading or watching plenty of other material too :D

Rooster Teeth should stick to entertaining videos, they've always been really big fanboys of things they like. This kind of corporate shilling is pretty low for them.

Didn't Jeff say overall he liked Fallout 4? I was pretty sure that was the gist.

He said, essentially, that it's still an enjoyable game but that it still has all the same problems that every other game they make has.

Can't when publishers are promising bonuses based on metacritic scores. As shitty as it is, it's more shitty to fuck over someone out of a bonus they earned just to make a stand about meaningless numbers.

Numbers aren't meaningless, as they can be used as part of a games marketing and do affect overall sales. The only reason why publishers give out "bonuses" is to push for higher review scores.

This is the reason why Giant Bomb was created to begin with. Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot for giving scores to games that he felt they deserved as opposed to the scores publishers were paying Gamespot for. The man was fired because of a low score that he gave to Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. Does anyone remember Kane & Lynch?

Yup. Shit Sux.

The reviews and scoring are probably the only thing I like about GiantBomb.

Again, worth pointing out that RT won't call out a site like Polygon, who in my experience have been guilty of low-scoring for attention, because they skew pro-MS.

They make fun of Polygon in the same video.

Numbers aren't meaningless, as they can be used as part of a games marketing and do affect overall sales. The only reason why publishers give out "bonuses" is to push for higher review scores.

This is the reason why Giant Bomb was created to begin with. Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot for giving scores to games that he felt they deserved as apposed to the scores publishers were paying Gamespot for. The man was fired because of a low score that he gave to Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. Does anyone remember Kane & Lynch?

I remember the controversy but to be honest I never played the game since I didn't enjoy the demo (was there a demo for the first one, or am I thinking of the second one?).

He didn't give it a low score though, did he? I think it was a 6-7? I mean, it was lower than what marketing/eidos wanted, but not a low score in itself. It was... average.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So first Bethesda blacklists Kotaku, then their main PR guy pretends there are no framerate issues, then doubles down in his BS and lies when being called out for it on Twitter, acting like a total dick to consumers, now this by RT who in which receives money, etc from them for services rendered...

Not hard to follow the potential character assassination and where it possibly originated from. My money is the hostile company. ;)

Gaming has it's very own political warfare propaganda folks. Follow. The. Money trail.

7ewUbnT.png

Now you are ironically being targeted by said review. Too much of a coincidence.

I remember the controversy but to be honest I never played the game since I didn't enjoy the demo (was there a demo for the first one, or am I thinking of the second one?).

He didn't give it a low score though, did he? I think it was a 6-7? I mean, it was lower than what marketing/eidos wanted, but not a low score in itself. It was... average.

Yeah, it wasn't really a low score. He gave the game a 6.0, which he deemed as "average". Eidos were upset because they paid for large Kane and Lynch banners that covered the entire Gamespot website. That put pressure on Gamespot to fire Gerstmann.

2007_12_08_gamespot1.jpg

But we got Giant Bomb out of this. So it was a win, I suppose.

Yukinari

RoosterTeeth have been known to shill for companies. As if their Halo videos and years of promotion with Microsoft wasnt enough of a hint.

2573240-xbox_launchmcdonalds.gif

Its almost as bad as this.

Yeah, it wasn't really a low score. He gave the game a 6.0, which he deemed as "average". Eidos were upset because they paid for large Kane and Lynch banners that covered the entire Gamespot website. That put pressure on Gamespot to fire Gerstmann.

But we got Giant Bomb out of this. So it was a win, I suppose.

Specifically, Gamespot had new management at the time who kind of went into headless-chicken mode when Eidos got mad, and they made the stupid call.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They're pretty much a marketing and video production company. I wouldn't expect much critical thinking out of them.

Huh? I meant that Jeff has been reviewing since she (Meg Whatsherface, who made the comment) was a toddler.

Like some posted, there's that screen grab (from some Tetris documentary?)showing Jeff at CES in 1992. According to Meg's wiki, she was born in 1987.
Oh god, she's the same age as me and yet she's so immature about this like she was some teen from GameFAQs.

mr2xxx

Banned
So first Bethesda blacklists Kotaku, then their main PR guy pretends there are no framerate issues, then doubles down in his BS and lies when being called out for it on Twitter, acting like a total dick to consumers, now this by RT who in which receives money, etc from them for services rendered...

Not hard to follow the potential character assassination and where it possibly originated from. My money is the hostile company. ;)

Gaming has it's very own political warfare propaganda folks. Follow. The. Money trail.

7ewUbnT.png

Now you are ironically being targeted by said review. Too much of a coincidence.

At least we know gamers aren't going to get as upset if it was some woman accused of sleeping around to increase the score of some PC indie game.

Ansatz

It pays their bills.

This is why I no longer follow the industry and rarey discuss games. It seems like every other person has a personal agenda and is somehow involved monetary wise. Even on neogaf there are users who depend on the success of certain companies, whether they are stock holders, streamers, youtubers, reporters or whatever.

I imagine alot of quality games get overlooked because there is no money to be made on them. What I mean is the games people choose to stream and the ones big gaming sites focus all their attention on are those that will generate them revenue, not necessarily games they want to spend time with on a personal level. As a result of this behavior I'm completely out of the loop and spend most of my time just playing games that appeal to me, often stuff nobody really talks about. Maybe why I have spent more time on Miiverse lately than anything else, a community where you find real, genuine fans of games.

Kusagari

People just think Jeff hates everything because he never goes crazy emotional about a game.

I mean just in the last podcast he expresses his love for both Mario Maker and Wind Waker.

erawsd

Specifically, Gamespot had new management at the time who kind of went into headless-chicken mode when Eidos got mad, and they made the stupid call.

Yeah, Jeff mentioned that it wasnt the first time they dealt with that, I think he specifically mentions Sony doing it over Rachet and Clank. Up until that point they had management that stood up for editorial though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This just justifies my image of Jeff as a game reviewer. Totally fucking honest and brutal. Keep it up Jeff!

Yeah, his reviews are both great and almost completely useless for me, since I almost never have the same taste in games as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom