• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daingurse

I feel complete indifference. Never heard of this guy nor seen him in anything. Guess I'll have to wait and see how he does.

ZeroX03

Banned
Too old for the role.

Not if they had a Spider Man over the age of 25.

Either way this announcement bores the shit out of me, I love Spider Man but his representation on film has bored me for years. Just left with X-Men for Marvel stuff I really like.

Neoxon

But he edited and said it was official now!! How come?!

;)
Because according to his source, Dylan O'Brien has signed his contract. We won't know if his source is on the money until Marvel comments on it (or Sony, whoever says it first).

rtcn63

I liked Tobey. He looked like he could pass for a genuine geek-next-door. This guy... I could see him giving me a dirty stare for accidentally walking into an American Eagle.

Mumei

Because according to his source, Dylan O'Brien has signed his contract. We won't know if his source is on the money until Marvel comments on it (or Sony, whoever says it first).

What sort of moron updates his own rumor-mongering post to say "Official" when there hasn't been an official announcement, anyway?

He actually reminds me of the spider man in the comics, I read in late 90's.

Hope he's got the right build and personality to boot and glad Sony finally passed it along to Marvel.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yup it is. Would come off as super stale in the current rather middle ages MCU cast.

How does a Parker in his 20s compare to a bunch of guys in their 30s and 40s? We just get to skip the high school bullshit.

Donald looks especially young unshaven, but any actor around 25 and Parker of a similar age would be great.

PsychBat!

Banned
How does a Parker in his 20s compare to a bunch of guys in their 30s and 40s? We just get to skip the high school bullshit.

Exactly.

We don't need a middle aged Parker, but definitely a young adult one that's definitely not in fucking high school.

The stuff that happens while he's in high school is so minimal and unimportant. You could say it's nonexistent. High school definitely isn't the most defining aspect of his life and the MCU supposedly shoving that in to our faces again is boring.

I'll still watch it.

Sheroking

Exactly.

We don't need a middle aged Parker, but definitely a young adult one that's definitely not in fucking high school.

The stuff that happens while he's in high school is so minimal and unimportant. You could say it's nonexistent. High school definitely isn't the most defining aspect of his life and the MCU supposedly shoving that in to our faces again is boring.

I'll still watch it.

"Shoving it in our face again".

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ALL focus on his adult life. We got the first 25 minutes of Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man as high school movies. So redundant.

The way I see it, we got a bunch of grown ass men in the Avengers and a teenage, high school Peter Parker is more interesting because of how that differentiates him.

Sheroking

In fact they were a tiny minority. If you go back to the very first thread after the announcement it has mostly been Dylan, with Donald being maybe 3rd or 4th most talked about.

Let's be real, too.

The only reason anybody has ever talked about Donald Glover as Spider-Man is because he put himself into that conversation.

Mumei

What about the ones in their 40s and over?

Okay, fine. There is one. I forgot. :)

Yeah I'm having some serious doubts about now.

Mm. It's difficult to avoid being skeptical at this point. I would like it to be true, though.

Exactly.

I'll still watch it.

You need to watch Spectacular Spider-Man! In the twenty-six episodes we had, we saw Green Goblin, Big Man, Enforcers, Vulture, Electro, Sandman, Rhino, Doctor Octopus, Chameleon, Venom, Mysterio, Tinkerer, Kraven, Silver Sable, Ricochet, Shocker, Silvermane, and Molten Man. There's plenty of room to be flexible and have exciting things happen in high school.

And as Sheroking points out, this would be the first movie that actually focuses on his time in high school. The previous movies were mostly about him as a college student or as a working adult.

PsychBat!

Banned
"Shoving it in our face again".

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ALL focus on his adult life. We got the first 25 minutes of Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man as high school movies. So redundant.
Do we really need to spend another minute showing that he was in high school though?
The way I see it, we got a bunch of grown ass men in the Avengers and a teenage, high school Peter Parker is more interesting because of how that differentiates him.
Oh please. That is not the sole reason that can differentiate him. The fact that he is witty, sometimes irresponsible goofball can be another reason. In fact, I would think that's a much better reason on how to differentiate him.

Ovid

Not really, it was just the vocal minority.

No, they didn't.

In fact they were a tiny minority. If you go back to the very first thread after the announcement it has mostly been Dylan, with Donald being maybe 3rd or 4th most talked about.

No they didn't.

I like Glover, but he would've been a bad choice for what they're aiming for.

No we didn't.

31 year old who's never tackled a real acting role in his life for a teenage Peter Parker?

No. No they didn't.
Don't deny it brehs.

Sheroking

Do we really need to spend another minute showing that he was in high school though?

I mean... yeah? I feel like they should spend two odd films on that, so more than another minute.

Even The Amazing Spider-Man only tackled his high-school life to do the Gwen Stacy arc.

Oh please. That is not the sole reason that can differentiate him. The fact that he is witty, sometimes irresponsible goofball can be another reason. In fact, I would think that's a much better reason on how to differentiate him.

Witty, sometimes irresponsible goofball. Only gonna be like three of those in Infinity War besides him.

feel

I like the current spiderman :/

Never even heard of this kid befo-
This video that Froli posted in the last rumor thread (with Lerman and O'Brien) sold me (and quite a few other people) on him. I haven't seen Lerman in anything besides the first Percy Jackson film (which I watched after the rumors), so I'm not sure whether I would have liked him as well.
AND I'M SOLD

Blader

You're describing at least three other people.

TalonJH

This video that Froli posted in the last rumor thread (with Lerman and O'Brien) sold me (and quite a few other people) on him. I haven't seen Lerman in anything besides the first Percy Jackson film (which I watched after the rumors), so I'm not sure whether I would have liked him as well.

Didn't watch the whole video but it sold me on this guy. You have my blessings Marvel/Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom