• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunan

Fantastic casting choice if true. Glad to see them go with a young peter to play off all the 30 somethings they've got in the MCU. Should be interesting!

He looks like he's 12 years old

whose-side-is-spider-man-on-in-civil-war-awesome-fan-made-poster-tells-us-identity-revealed.png

jett

D-Member
I guess this one will at least last a few movies before looking hilariously too old to be a high schooler.

Mumei

Excellent. Don't judge his comedy timing by Maze Runner people.

Yep. I think that his role as Stiles on Teen Wolf is a much better gauge of his ability to play Parker than his role as Thomas in The Maze Runner. And Teen Wolf was his first acting role, so you get to see his growth.

which is funny, because I'm pretty sure he's the only actor who displays any growth in the series

Watch Perks of Being a Wallflower. He's pretty great in that.

Fury and Perks of Being a Wallflower are on my [invisible and constantly shifting] list of things to watch this week. I was making a point of watching things they'd been in just because I was interested in the casting. I just didn't expect to hear rumors that they'd made a decision quite this soon!

Good. Keep filling out the dream cast.
Have Tobey play his dad, or something similar.
Dave Franco for Harry Osbourne.
JK back as JJ.

Ah, okay.

Well, I'm not gonna poo-poo on Dylan. Worst part is seeing all of the people celebrating a not-black Spider-Man (even though the actor is Italian, and I dunno if Spidey is too, but if not, that basically means they'd approve because he can pull off non-Italian white :v).

That said, physically he seems like a good pick. No idea how well he acts though.

I was told Peter is not going to be white by a legit source

Doubtful. Why do that when there is an actor that already fits the personality just because?

If there was a better African American that fit Peter better I'd be for it but can you name a single black actor that fits Pakers personality better than Dylan?

This video that Froli posted in the last rumor thread (with Lerman and O'Brien) sold me (and quite a few other people) on him. I haven't seen Lerman in anything besides the first Percy Jackson film (which I watched after the rumors), so I'm not sure whether I would have liked him as well.

just sold me on him too, goddamn that's Pete alright.

anaron

I love his jonah but Simmons' casting would link this to a trilogy that is still so recent that it would be too weird.

Blader

I would have to assume it's either them or the Russos. Too much is riding on Spidey to let it fall to someone out of left field.

Oooh, or maybe Drew Goddard?

The Russos' schedule is packed: Civil War next year, The Gray Man after that, and by all accounts Infinity War for 2018/19.

Sheroking

Best actor on earth for the role, IMO.

Perfect look, perfect age range, perfect comedic sensibilities and he's capable.

Hope this is true.

If you did, then you'll also notice that he was the best actor in that. Everyone else was pretty much shit.

I don't agree that the rest of the cast was "pretty much shit", I think they did a pretty good job with that movie top to bottom.

Dylan O'Brien was the focus of that entire movie, never once took a bite at the scenery, and still carried it on his back though. That movie is a starmaking performance for him, IMO.

Teen Wolf shows his comedic timing off better, but Maze Runner proves he's a leading man.

I would have to assume it's either them or the Russos. Too much is riding on Spidey to let it fall to someone out of left field.

Oooh, or maybe Drew Goddard?

Those dudes are a way more interesting choice for spiderman than russos or Goddard. Plus they've worked with Sony before, it will prolly go to drew tho since sinister six is prolly being shelved

I love his jonah but Simmons' casting would link this to a trilogy that is still so recent that it would be too weird.

That may be but I'm betting they figure the goodwill is so strong that it'll overcome that.

Plus it appears they already reached out to him, so chances are we're looking at a "Judi Dench as M" situation. New Spidey, new continuity - same JJJ.

i thought whatshisface said he wasnt going to be white

Whatsisface lamely tried to walk it back by suggesting it "didn't really count" because he said it on a web show and that there's a big difference between 95% sure and 99% percent sure.

Whatsisface basically botched every aspect of relaying that news, essentially.

The Russos' schedule is packed: Civil War next year, The Gray Man after that, and by all accounts Infinity War for 2018/19.

What's The Gray Man?

Those dudes are a way more interesting choice than russos or Goddard. Plus they've worked with Sony before, it will prolly go to drew tho since sinister six is prolly being shelved

I say it probably goes to Goddard or Lord/Miller. Lord/Miller would make sense since they've been gold for Sony all over the place

Was it all that weird when the Bond franchise retained Judi Dench through a reboot? That casting is so good, I think audiences will be ok with it transcending continutiy.

theWB27

I haven't seen him act...I liked Andrew's Spidey allot. Since I don't know the kid I won't pass judgement. Plus I try not to based on previous roles...some actors are just made to do certain things.

Hopefully..he's good and can do his thing with RDJ. Can't wait for the films to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom