• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet money that the majority haven't read the comic. Or else they wouldn't be casting 30 year olds to play a 12 year old. I know people see black kids as being older but damn.

Idris Elba as Miles, Michael Fassbender as Peter, Michael Caine as Uncle Ben, Jake Gyllenhaal as Kaine, Emma Stone as Mary Jane Watson, Katie Sackhoff as Gwen. /every GAF thread ever

- J - D -

I can see him going toe to toe with RDJ in a fight of snark.

Can't see it with Lerman, who has the onscreen charisma of a plank.

anaron

Was it all that weird when the Bond franchise retained Judi Dench through a reboot? That casting is so good, I think audiences will be ok with it transcending continutiy.
I think the difference is that Bond's 40+ history has comfortably conditioned us to go with it because they're almost never connected and use different/same recurring characters all the time; in addition to that, M had an entirely different relationship in Craig's films than Brosnan's whereas JJ is going to be largely the exact same character.

(I doubt anyone would seriously care I'm just not sure how I feel about it anymore)

Neoxon

So Ultron was done by the time this hit right?
The most we'll see is like... after credits bits I assume? Maybe Blu-ray release extras?
Or is there any indication that they reshot (will reshoot) stuff at all to include spidey?
This is the point where they'd start preparing for the post-credits scene, so they could do something with Dylan as Spidey for Age of Ultron if this is true.

theWB27

Extremely disappointing if it turns out to be another white spider-man. I'm sure this guy will do a fine job.

But....Peter Parker is white. The majority of people who are going to see this know Peter Parker as Spidey. Why go against this for no real reason other than not having a white guy be Spidey?

This video that Froli posted in the last rumor thread (with Lerman and O'Brien) sold me (and quite a few other people) on him. I haven't seen Lerman in anything besides the first Percy Jackson film (which I watched after the rumors), so I'm not sure whether I would have liked him as well.
I hadn't seem him in a single thing until I saw this in the MCU thread, anyone doubting it or who doesn't know who the kid is just needs to watch this video.

According to the guy, Logan Lerman was about to get the role until Dylan O'Brien brought the audition of his life, which convinced the Sony & Marvel guys to give Dylan the role.

That sounds like an awesome story and makes sense, considering how bad Dylan wanted it IIRC

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
According to the guy, Logan Lerman was about to get the role until Dylan O'Brien brought the audition of his life, which convinced the Sony & Marvel guys to give Dylan the role.

I hope that they would able to share a film of audition but I doubt it. I wonder what he did there. That's if the rumor is true.

Neoxon

Extremely disappointing if it turns out to be another white spider-man. I'm sure this guy will do a fine job.
You don't start with Miles Morales, & you don't take away some of the impact of Miles by making Peter black. You cast a white Peter Parker, build him up, then when Dylan (assuming this is true) wants out or ages out of the role, pass the torch to Miles & continue from there. I say this as a black guy.

Marvel & Sony made the right choice here. And apparently, they're considering Miles for later down the road.

styl3s

But he's terrible. I saw the goddamn maze runner.
Because one performance in a movie with a terrible script completely defines the range of an actor, right?

It was always going to be Peter Parker and it was always going to be white Peter Parker and to ever think for a moment it was going to be Miles or we would get a black spider-man is just silly and naive.

Noshino

If true, what a shame for Drew Godard. Gave up Daredevil, his dream project, because of Sinister Six, which is now being shelved anyway for a new Spider-Man.

Wait, is that official?

FTFY.

Would have preferred Lerman. Don't get the O'Brien love.

While they are both good, I think Lerman is the better actor, but O'Brien is better at playing witty sarcastic characters, which is #1 priority.

Ah, okay.

Well, I'm not gonna poo-poo on Dylan. Worst part is seeing all of the people celebrating a not-black Spider-Man (even though the actor is Italian, and I dunno if Spidey is too, but if not, that basically means they'd approve because he can pull off non-Italian white :v).

That said, physically he seems like a good pick. No idea how well he acts though.

Born in NY, and of Irish, Italian, Spanish and English ancestry.....yup definitely the kid is italian

And im glad Peter Park isn't black, just like im glad that he isn't asian or hispanic

Thank god I've been really against the Lerman thing from the beginning. Not because I don't like the actor I just really don't see him as Parker

Slayven

Idris Elba as Miles, Michael Fassbender as Peter, Michael Caine as Uncle Ben, Jake Gyllenhaal as Kaine, Emma Stone as Mary Jane Watson, Katie Sackhoff as Gwen. /every GAF thread ever
Kind of disrespectful, the rest of those people are talented and charming.
A list of things with more bite and vibrancy than Scott Bakula:

Throw pillows
A sleeping pug
A package of Q-tips
A watercolor painting of orchids
A pan flute solo by Zamfir, master of the Pan Flute.
The color Ecru
He plays a cajun, a cajun.

You don't start with Miles Morales, & you don't take away some of the impact of Miles by making Peter black. You cast a white Peter Parker, build him up, then when Dylan (assuming this is true) wants out or ages out of the role, pass the torch to Miles & continue from there. I say this as a black guy.

Marvel & Sony made the right choice here. And apparently, they're considering Miles for later down the road.

2025 ahoy.

Neoxon

I hope that they would able to share a film of audition but I doubt it. I wonder what he did there. That's if the rumor is true.
I'm also curious as well. I'm sure he brought his A-game for his dream role, but I really want to know what he did.

Mumei

After this new pretty kid bombs too you will all understand that tobey is the only one

I really should rewatch the original trilogy. I don't think I've seen the first two movies since I saw them in theaters, unless maybe I caught it on network TV in the decade and change since and forgot about it. And I've never seen the third movie. I realize it's supposed to be terrible, but I sort of want to know if that Back to the Future gif is accurate.

Lerman did the best he could with a shit Percy Jackson script and was legit good in Perks.

Haven't seen O'Brien be even decent in anything.

Yeah, Lerman actually surprised me. Thought he was going to go down the typical teen hearthrob career but he can put it good work.

Ties

Banned
spider gwen >>>>> peter parker

miles morales >>>>>>> peter parker

boring reboot

should have just casted garfield again lmao

That sounds like an awesome story and makes sense, considering how bad Dylan wanted it IIRC

Yeah man he's wanted it for a long time.

There's multiple vids of him saying Spidey is his favorite hero and jealous of Garfield for having the role.

This kid was born to play Parker

Neoxon

spider gwen >>>>> peter parker

miles morales >>>>>>> peter parker

boring reboot

should have just casted garfield again lmao
Can't, Andrew has the stench of The Amazing Spider-Man movies stuck on him. Spider-Gwen is too recent to do anything with her, & as for Miles Morales...

I feel like J.K. Simmons is a lock if they are bringing back Triple J. I not only think he would be great for Spider-Man but he would be the perfect addition to Civil War and the Marvel Cinematic Universe in general.

I think JJJ would be an interesting voice to have during Civil War, even if it was for a single scene.

Has J.K. been doing voice work as the character on cartoons?

I imagine Parker will be in high school but somewhat established as Spider-Man. They may do a quick flash back to the origin.

That's the way i see things going down.

jWILL253

Banned
We'll never get a Black Spider-Man.

And im glad Peter Park isn't black, just like im glad that he isn't asian or hispanic
Good choice. Morales fans can eat it.

Why do you guys get to have almost ALL of the fucking superheroes?

Why must every little goddamn thing serve you? Niggas like comic books, too. We like music, movies, video games, all that shit. Hell, the majority of the people that consume all forms of American media are poor people of color (and women), despite that we make up a minority of the American population. Why can't we enjoy the same privileges that you do?

In fact, what the hell did you do to even earn that privilege? All we did was suffer through 300 years of bullshit. Yet, we can only get lipserve and the occasional sympathetic nod. While you guys get to have everything your way just by proxy of being White.

Neoxon

I feel like J.K. Simmons is a lock if they are bringing back Triple J. I not only think he would be great for Spider-Man but he would be the perfect addition to Civil War and the Marvel Cinematic Universe in general.

I think JJJ would be an interesting voice to have during Civil War, even if it was for a single scene.

Has J.K. been doing voice work as the character on cartoons?

I imagine Parker will be in high school but somewhat established as Spider-Man. They may do a quick flash back to the origin.

That's the way i see things going down.
Yes, he's Jameson in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

MC Safety

Peter Parker isn't a male model. He's more Tobey McGuire than Andrew Garfield.

This new guy looks like he makes the cover of every Tiger Beat ever.

(They still make Tiger Beat, right?)

Ridley327

Peter Parker isn't a male model. He's more Tobey McGuire than Andrew Garfield.

This new guy looks like he makes the cover of every Tiger Beat ever.

(They still make Tiger Beat, right?)

Which comics have you been reading? Pete has always been pretty darn handsome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom